Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
We're looking to pick up an Apple TV 3rd generation, but I have a few requirements/questions:

1. I know we can use the Apple TV software to stream Netflix, iTunes rentals, etc. over WiFi - no extra computer required
  2. I know we can use AirPlay mirroring to show exactly what is on one laptop, desktop and menu bar and etc. included

What I want to be able to do, however, is pick a single source that's running on my laptop (like a movie playing in Quicktime, or a Hulu video playing in Safari) and stream just that source to the Apple TV.

In essence, I want to be able to continue to use the streaming machine for work, email, etc. while the video is playing on the Apple TV. Is this possible? Thanks! :D

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Would be nice but it's the whole Notebook's screen or nothing, at least currently.

mully1121

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2009
There's an app called AirParrot that may do what you're looking for. airparrot.com and I think its $10 for a license.

Bob Loblaw

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Oakton, Virginia
I'm thinking about purchasing one as well, and upgrading to Mountain Lion. Would I be able to mirror HBO GO, in a Firefox window, to the Apple TV? I also don't have an Airport Express. If so, I'm sold on the Apple TV. HBO GO capability is the one thing that's holding me up on getting this over the Roku.

gursis11

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Only in iTunes. OS X doesn't have the uniform video UI like iOS, once they have that I think it'll be content-only-airplay possible.

Ryan.Tanner

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
McKinney, TX
Without creating a new thread, I will ask my question which is nearly identical.

I will be getting a new iMac (hopefully) and a new Apple TV next week. Is it possible to be using the iMac for anything (gaming, design, web, etc.) while my wife uses the Apple TV interface on the TV at the same time? I'm not asking for the OS X mirroring, just the Apple TV streaming.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Without creating a new thread, I will ask my question which is nearly identical.

I will be getting a new iMac (hopefully) and a new Apple TV next week. Is it possible to be using the iMac for anything (gaming, design, web, etc.) while my wife uses the Apple TV interface on the TV at the same time? I'm not asking for the OS X mirroring, just the Apple TV streaming.

Yes, your iMac will be fully available for use. The only thing that might be an occasional issue is wifi bandwidth. With heavy bandwidth use, one or both of you may experience an occasion slowdown.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
When I've wanted to do this, I've just made the video fullscreen. I understand that may not always be optimal, depending on what exactly you're trying to display.

I love Airplay though - it's ended up a lot more useful than I thought it would be.

Ryan.Tanner

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
McKinney, TX
Yes, your iMac will be fully available for use. The only thing that might be an occasional issue is wifi bandwidth. With heavy bandwidth use, one or both of you may experience an occasion slowdown.

Thank you for the prompt response. This is just what I wanted to hear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.