PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Internet from iMac G3 (panther)

OliverOSX93
Oct 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hello, anyone think they can help with this problem?

I'm trying to share my G3s airport connection with my win xp pc. I have them hooked up with an Ethernet cable and sharing is on (from airport / to Ethernet)

I can't understand why this isn't working.

eyoungren
Oct 17, 2012, 08:01 PM
I used to share my PowerBook's connection at Starbucks back when my son was using our old iBook (for whatever reason our iBook gets really bad reception). On his end, DHCP had to be enabled because what actually happens is that the Mac that's sharing assigns a dynamic IP address.

Is your PC set up to use DHCP?

Cox Orange
Oct 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
(for whatever reason our iBook gets really bad reception)

Off topic, but in which way? What ibook is it?

eyoungren
Oct 21, 2012, 01:03 PM
Wirelessly posted

It's an iBook G3 Dual USB. 600mhz.

It has an original Airport card and connects to our home wifi but only gets about half strength reception around 25ft from the router. It gets no reception at all at Starbucks. Even if it would be able to connect, it doesn't see Starbucks network at all. It's as if airport was completely off. I had to connect an Ethernet cable to it and share my PowerBook's connection.

No big deal now as it's at home because my son has his own PowerBook.

California
Oct 21, 2012, 01:22 PM
Hello, anyone think they can help with this problem?

I'm trying to share my G3s airport connection with my win xp pc. I have them hooked up with an Ethernet cable and sharing is on (from airport / to Ethernet)

I can't understand why this isn't working.

Is this a utility that was germane in Panther? Not sure, I only know about all the old gray "airport" CDs I have from that era.