PDA

View Full Version : iPod sync to new system

SR 7
Oct 17, 2012, 04:03 PM
I have a very old iPod that has songs on it from a computer I no longer use.

If I do an iTunes sync to my current system would it save all the songs on their or would i lose all my songS?

I ask because I have a new iPod on the way and I dont want to lose these old songs on my old ipod as i am giving it away once my new one comes in.

any help on how to keep or store these songs?

dadudeness
Oct 18, 2012, 06:23 AM
Unfortunately iTunes doesn't literally sync. iTunes transfers files to the connected iDevice. The only data transfered back to iTunes are play-counters and created on-the-fly-playlists.

Since you can access everything while connected via USB what you can do to solve your problem is copy the files from the iPod's filesystem directly to your computer or use one of the available tools for that.
When the files were transfered to the iPod in the first place they got numeric filenames but kept their tagging so it shouldn't be much of a problem to restore the correct filenames.

SR 7
Oct 20, 2012, 03:15 PM
Unfortunately iTunes doesn't literally sync. iTunes transfers files to the connected iDevice. The only data transfered back to iTunes are play-counters and created on-the-fly-playlists.

Since you can access everything while connected via USB what you can do to solve your problem is copy the files from the iPod's filesystem directly to your computer or use one of the available tools for that.
When the files were transfered to the iPod in the first place they got numeric filenames but kept their tagging so it shouldn't be much of a problem to restore the correct filenames.

How can I copy all those files to my cmputeR?