Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xEasy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
After using my HTC in just a sleeve I never even got a single scratch on it. Are iPhone screens more sensitive to scratches? I might use a sleeve and a thin case to protect the back and sides, but should I also get a screenprotector?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
In my experience over nearly 5 years of iPhone use, they are pretty durable without screen protectors. Generally, if they do scratch, it's the oleophobic coating that scratches, and not the glass, and you have to look pretty hard to see them. I'm fairly careful with my phones, and while I like them to look good, I'm not completely obsessed about it as some are. In my experience the few small scratches I get after a couple of years of use are worth it compared to looking at and using a screen protector every day. I take minimal care not to put my phone in the same pocket as my keys, and that's about it.

As for the case, I had a slim case on my iPhone 4, and I can confidently say that the case caused far more scratches than it would have gotten without it. Cases trap dirt and dust and allow it to scratch as opposed to wiping off. I now go caseless...

Jasonv2

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Screen protectors are a waste of money. The glass used on the iP5 is very durable, it's hard to even try to scratch it on purpose. I actually have never used screen protectors since the first iPhone and my only issue has been scratches to the back/sides.

I would even argue cases in general are a waste of money. Best option is to enjoy the device as intended, putting any type of stickers or plastic on it, defeats the purpose. I think AppleCare+ and then if your phone gets really beat up, "drop it", walk in and leave with a new one for $50. You could even drop it a second time to replace it before selling. Or sell it with the added warranty and replacement still available. Most people here blow well over $200 on cases, they ruin the apple iphone experience and may still cause dmg to the device if its dropped.

The only time I see a case making sense is if your work construction etc and need the protection everyday. Otherwise, get A+ and enjoy the phone as it was meant to be.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
You don't need one at all. I've not used one on my last 3 phones and never had issues with the screens. They tend to be the strongest part of the phone IMO.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
I used the Zagg on my iPhone 4 for about two years but now that I have the 5 without one I love the bare glass. I do want to get something for the back though...

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
I use cheap screen protectors, not the Zagg or whatever scratch proof ones, because you can barely tell they are there and they prevent even the smallest of scratches from happening. I don't see any reason not to use them.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I use cheap screen protectors, not the Zagg or whatever scratch proof ones, because you can barely tell they are there and they prevent even the smallest of scratches from happening. I don't see any reason not to use them.

I've pretty much become the go-to guy at my workplace for installing them, despite recommending against them. Even with an extreme amount of care, they are still obviously visible, and they generally look horrible after a few weeks or few months of use. Compare that with my 26 month-old iPhone 4 that has never had one. I have to polish it completely clean and then look at it in just the right light to even see the scratches. That's why I don't use them.

kyellowness

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Ever since my earrings scratched up my NEW phone (wasn't an iphone) the first day of usage, been using screen protectors ever since then. you just never know what's gonna happen.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I have one, can barely tell its there, forget its there most of the time. The other day I took my phone out of my bag and the screen protector had a big scratch on it. Random occurrence that could happen to anyone who leaves the house. I would have been bummed if the scratch were on the glass, as is I couldn't care less. Necessary? No. Useful? Probably.

xEasy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
So a nice sleeve to protect it in my pocket is probably a better idea? I might one from Joli Originals

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I never had an issue with any of the iPhones I've owned and never have had a screen protector. With the 5 I noticed 2 scratches on the screen, no clue how they got there, its getting no better or worse treatment than my 4 that was flawless after 2 years of use. Maybe its my keyfob, but that has no sharp edges on it..

The glass on the 5 has scratches this fast compared to the other 3 iPhones I've owned that didn't.

I ended up getting a screen protector today, that mixed with the Moshi iGlaze I got earlier this week make a great combo. You can't tell the protector is there and the iGlaze is the best minimalistic case on the market imo. It honestly feels as if I don't have a case or protector on the phone, but I do!! :p

/rant :p

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I read all these posts about the glass being difficult to scratch. I'm pretty anal with my stuff and keep my screens clean with iklear and a clean microfiber. And then my iPhone is kept in its own pocket in my purse, never in contact with keys, etc. Even being so careful, my iPhone got some scratches after only 2 weeks of use. The only thing I could even vaguely think of that could have scratched my screen is wearing earrings when using the phone. However the scratches were not near the top of the phone so it's a mystery. I wanted to go naked on the screen but ended up with the SPG Glas.t.r which is really nice - no loss of clarity or feel.

xEasy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I read all these posts about the glass being difficult to scratch. I'm pretty anal with my stuff and keep my screens clean with iklear and a clean microfiber. And then my iPhone is kept in its own pocket in my purse, never in contact with keys, etc. Even being so careful, my iPhone got some scratches after only 2 weeks of use. The only thing I could even vaguely think of that could have scratched my screen is wearing earrings when using the phone. However the scratches were not near the top of the phone so it's a mystery. I wanted to go naked on the screen but ended up with the SPG Glas.t.r which is really nice - no loss of clarity or feel.

So a screenprotector together with a decent sleeve is the best option in your opinion?

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
So a screenprotector together with a decent sleeve is the best option in your opinion?

Actually I have had all my iPhones in cases. In the past I wanted the case for some drop protection and a better grip - plus I have young grandkids that love to play with my phone. Then I have dropped my husband's phone on the pavement and also did the same with my iPhone 4 S. This time around, I really wanted to go naked and purchased AppleCare. My point was to just say the hell with it and enjoy the phone for itself and not spends months and a ton of money in search of the perfect case. In the end, I couldn't do it. I could envision dropping it on the pavement and having some scratching and dents but not enough to replace under AppleCare. As my slight scratches on the screen drove me to quickly put on a protector, I knew I just couldn't go with a naked phone. But that's just me.

So far my favorite case is the Switcheasy Tones. I'm actually finished with my case search and my new phone is settled in nicely.

xEasy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Actually I have had all my iPhones in cases. In the past I wanted the case for some d. rop protection and a better grip - plus I have young grandkids that love to play with my phone. Then I have dropped my husband's phone on the pavement and also did the same with my iPhone 4 S. This time around, I really wanted to go naked and purchased AppleCare. My point was to just say the hell with it and enjoy the phone for itself and not spends months and a ton of money in search of the perfect case. In the end, I couldn't do it. I could envision dropping it on the pavement and having some scratching and dents but not enough to replace under AppleCare. As my slight scratches on the screen drove me to quickly put on a protector, I knew I just couldn't go with a naked phone. But that's just me.

So far my favorite case is the Switcheasy Tones. I'm actually finished with my case search and my new phone is settled in nicely.
I am using just a sleeve for my HTC. It works fine and has almost zero damages.

Do you think a sleeve with just a screenprotector will be enough protection?

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
To all the people saying the screen protector got scratched so it saved your phone screen, remember that glass is much, much tougher than a plastic screen protector. You need something at least as tough as the gorilla glass on your phone (diamond for example, or sand if you're not careful) to scratch your screen.

xEasy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
To all the people saying the screen protector got scratched so it saved your phone screen, remember that glass is much, much tougher than a plastic screen protector. You need something at least as tough as the gorilla glass on your phone (diamond for example, or sand if you're not careful) to scratch your screen.
Those SGP Glass T protectors are also pretty tough, aren't they? Might get one of those.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
Those SGP Glass T protectors are also pretty tough, aren't they? Might get one of those.

They are. :) (I'm biased as I use one of my 5.)

I don't really know what to tell you, but here's my thought process. The iPhone 5's screen, as with the 4S, 4 etc, are extremely durable and can take a beating without scratching. That being said, were all human, we all make a stupid mistake every now and then. When that mistake happens, I personally would rather have something close to the screen protecting it. Would a sleeve work? Sure, but once you take it out of the sleeve then what? Maybe this is just my excuse to justify buying the Glas.T, but at the end of the day, different strokes for different folks :)

xEasy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
They are. :) (I'm biased as I use one of my 5.)

I don't really know what to tell you, but here's my thought process. The iPhone 5's screen, as with the 4S, 4 etc, are extremely durable and can take a beating without scratching. That being said, were all human, we all make a stupid mistake every now and then. When that mistake happens, I personally would rather have something close to the screen protecting it. Would a sleeve work? Sure, but once you take it out of the sleeve then what? Maybe this is just my excuse to justify buying the Glas.T, but at the end of the day, different strokes for different folks :)
That's why I might get a sleeve and a screenprotector.

Thanks for all the replies so far, appreciate it :)

jahoys

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Earth
i use power support. only thing is that they're coming out with the screen protectors for the iPhone 5 later this month. powersupportusa.com is the site

iPhilPHX

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I am using the Verizon "brand" picked up when I bought the phone. Whether or not one thinks they are a waste of money, personally I feel a little better knowing something is on the screen. Maybe it's really unnecessary, but it in no way hinders the sensitivity of my screen and I am satisfied with having one on the phone.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I broke down and got a screen protector because I was tired of worrying about scratching the screen, but I have to say I have regrets. The plastic protector doesn't feel as good, smudges far more easily (and is more difficult to clean) than the glass, and has a rainbow glare in sunlight that the glass screen doesn't have. Not to mention that it already has some scratches on it. Really, what's the point of having a pristine, unscratched screen on your iPhone if you never actually get to enjoy it through that layer of scratched, smudged plastic?

I may end up getting that GLAS.tR protector. The idea of an actual glass protector with an oleophobic coating is appealing.

jo89

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
I dropped my I5 2 days ago and it skidded screen first on concrete with no scratches but endured fairly big chucks on the bottom left and top right. I say getting a screen protector isn't a big deal.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How necessary is a screenprotector?
It's a matter of preference. How do you expect people to quantify how necessary it is? The best you'll get is anecdotal evidence which really means nothing. Some people don't scratch their screens. Some do. Taking one person's experience or even attempting to aggregate the experiences of forum users still means nothing. Even if most Macrumors users go naked and never scratch their screens it doesn't guarantee that you won't.

Take whatever precautions you think are reasonable. The screen is scratch resistant but that doesn't mean that it is unscratchable.

If you just want opinions to refer to there are plenty of existing threads on the topic:
https://www.google.com/search?q=scr...me,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active

You need something at least as tough as the gorilla glass on your phone (diamond for example, or sand if you're not careful) to scratch your screen.
By definition material A has to be harder than material B to scratch material B.

Diamonds aren't the only thing harder than glass. A grain of sand will do. Again, you can't guarantee whether any one device will or won't get scratches in its lifetime. Each person needs to decide what precautions that person is willing to take. It's not a one-size-fits-all matter despite all the assertions above to the contrary. Best, worth, waste, etc are all subjective matters. You can read all the opinions you want but in the end you have to decide based on your own needs/wants/preferences.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.