PDA

View Full Version : How many posts do I need?

rjrufo
Nov 21, 2002, 10:05 PM
How many posts do I need to get out of the newbie status? I don't want to start making random comments just to get to member status, but if thats what it takes, then I guess I'll start.

Nipsy
Nov 21, 2002, 10:25 PM
If you make crappy posts just to change your status, we'll all think of you as a newbie forever.

For God's sake, you're an IP number using a fake name on a Rumors site. Get over the status thing, and post when you can contribute.

Or "contribute", and become a demi-god immediately.

If you can think of 30 intelligent, relevant things to say, you can expect your status to change.

vniow
Nov 21, 2002, 10:26 PM
Don't go around spamming the board, the last thing we need is another samdwek/iMac.http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/rolleyes.gif
You'll reach member when you reach it, it's no big deal.

Stike
Nov 21, 2002, 10:27 PM
Cool, shortly after the postcount display has been removed the first newbies ask how to recieve higher rankings.

You need 30 posts IIRC... and dont ask any further, because some people just posted to increase their post count without any sense for information or content of the posts.

Just watch your status rise during the times, and be patient. Peace!

Sun Baked
Nov 21, 2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by rjrufo
I don't want to start making random comments just to get to member status, but if thats what it takes, then I guess I'll start.
Newbies, blah...

arn
Nov 21, 2002, 11:19 PM
How many posts do I need to get out of the newbie status? I don't want to start making random comments just to get to member status, but if thats what it takes, then I guess I'll start.

This will get you banned very quickly.

arn

GeeYouEye
Nov 21, 2002, 11:32 PM
*sigh* I said threads like this would start happening again if post count was removed. And nobody believed me. Ah, well...

mac15
Nov 22, 2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by arn

This will get you banned very quickly.

arn

Its a pity newbies are like this, but thats how most of em are :(

barkmonster
Nov 22, 2002, 06:24 AM
Notice how some of them have started doing that totally lame "first post!" crap ?

We'll have a bunch of "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" drivel soon enough if the imaturity goes down any further :mad:

Mr. Anderson
Nov 22, 2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by mac15

Its a pity newbies are like this, but thats how most of em are :(

Oh please - I seem to remember a time of much posting on your behalf - and it wasn't too intelligent half the time. Don't make me go dig up a few of your old posts.....;)

Member status is a valid question, not posting spam to change it though. It has been the subject of many threads, what comes after 3000, etc. And first post crap happens, some are quite entertaining, actually.

D

rjrufo
Nov 22, 2002, 08:00 AM
Ok, so maybe this was a stupid question. I've been reading this forum for quite a while, and it seems that the newbies aren't taken seriously. I guess I've just opened my big mouth and stuck in a size 13 boot. I guess I'll continue to do what I've been doing, silently listening and saying very little.

Nipsy, what do you mean by "contribute"?

Mr. Anderson
Nov 22, 2002, 08:14 AM
Buying a mug makes you a demi-god - that's contributing. And if you don't want a mug, you can work something out with arn.

And in general your member status does not determine how serious you're taken. Its how you handle yourself on the forums, your knowledge base, etc. If you come in as a new member (and no one knows who you are) you usually will be respected unless you say something stupid. There has been more than a few times that newbies show up only to cause problems.

Just don't worry about it and try and make meaningful posts and not spam.

D

rjrufo
Nov 22, 2002, 04:03 PM
Thanks Dukestreet,
I hope that my post doesn't get spread out too widely, it must make me look like an idiot. From now on, anything I post will be given more thought than this thread. At least most of you were kind enough to point out my stupidity in a constructive way, rather than flame me to no end.
Thanks to everyone for that. Now, I just wish there was a way to turn back the clock a day or two...

BTW, my e-mail server went down today, so I'm not getting any e-mail alerting me to your replies. I've been told that the e-mails are getting kicked back to the sender as undeliverable. Just in case someone tried to e-mail me directly...

mac15
Nov 22, 2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Oh please - I seem to remember a time of much posting on your behalf - and it wasn't too intelligent half the time. Don't make me go dig up a few of your old posts.....;)

Yeah, I was like that, so shhh ;)

Sun Baked
Nov 22, 2002, 04:42 PM
I hope that my post doesn't get spread out too widely, it must make me look like an idiot. From now on, anything I post will be given more thought than this thread. At least most of you were kind enough to point out my stupidity in a constructive way, rather than flame me to no end.
Don't worry, unless this thread gets deleted - it may come back to haunt you. :p

Every now and then, as you'll notice somebody threatens to drag up an old thread or two.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=158571

eyelikeart
Nov 22, 2002, 04:55 PM
come on...don't give him too much *****...

we've all gone overboard at one point or another around here...he he ;)

but seriously...I was also hoping doing away with the post counts would stop this question from coming up...

what's next? taking titles away?

barkmonster
Nov 22, 2002, 07:45 PM
what's next? taking titles away?

That would be fun, we could all argue over who's number 6 and who's 007 then :D

Backtothemac
Nov 22, 2002, 08:27 PM
Hey he is 0069 with a license to ill ;)

I think what everyone is saying is make your posts meaningful. That is how you can contribute to the cause of Macrumors other than the obvious way by buying mug. If you read something on a thread and have something to say about it, then say it, but don't post Bantha Fodder ;)

B2TM

job
Nov 22, 2002, 09:52 PM
One forum I used to frequent rectified the problem with titles/n00bie status by simply allowing custom titles.

Titles soon lost their appeal but it worked.

I'm not sure how effective that would be for Macrumors though, with the whole Demi-god status title and private forums thing.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 22, 2002, 10:48 PM
Think about it, you need 30 posts to get out of newbie status - that's nothing - even if you posted irregularly you'd get there eventually - and that's only if you think it makes a difference, which it doesn't.

Alpha isn't around anymore and he was the worst newbie abuser (sometimes for good reason though). I think its all irrelevant anyway, but who am I to talk ;) :rolleyes:

D

totally_fly
Nov 22, 2002, 11:33 PM
Hmm i havnt read all the posts, so i'm most likely re-writing something someone else said.. because i'm certainly not re-inventing the wheel. (im a newbie, blame this noobish behavior on the fact that im an ignorant newb) Anyway:

I don't even bother thinking about my status. If I have something relevant to say I say it. I'm still a newbie, yet in my first thread I made 4 or 5 posts which I felt were respectable. It didn't take my status to make me feel respected, only what I said and why I said it.

Normally, intentions are deducible. But when you deal with people who are always trying to find flaws in arguments or trying to prove a rumor is true, often the intentions are, to them, incredibly obvious!

Wait is someone gonna think this is one of those post-boosting posts? Ahhh

moral dilemna :confused:

;)

diorio
Nov 22, 2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by totally_fly

Wait is someone gonna think this is one of those post-boosting posts? Ahhh

moral dilemna :confused:

;)

As long as you make a semi intelligent post expressing your view or a fact on something, don't worry about it. The classic example of what not to do can be found here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12539) ;)

eyelikeart
Nov 23, 2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by diorio

As long as you make a semi intelligent post expressing your view or a fact on something, don't worry about it. The classic example of what not to do can be found here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12539) ;)

my god...I had forgotten about that massacre of useless posting!

I'm starting to think that this thread should be slaughtered & left forever in the Wasteland...

anyone with me? :eek:

Sun Baked
Nov 23, 2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
I'm starting to think that this thread should be slaughtered & left forever in the Wasteland...

Go ahead and slaughter the poor thread.

Remember, sam left here and has been terrorizing other forums and moderators.

Though his own personal forum isn't as lively dwecktech forum (http://www.dwecktech.com/forum/)

rjrufo
Nov 23, 2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart

my god...I had forgotten about that massacre of useless posting!

I agree, I posted this stupid thread, and now, I'd like it to disappear...

MacBandit
Nov 23, 2002, 11:01 AM
It's official it's time to trash this thread.