PDA

View Full Version : Epson scanner not recognized by Preview

dylan
Sep 1, 2005, 09:54 PM
well my mom just got an Epson Perfection 2480 Photo and im hoping to get it working without installing the drivers and apps from the cd. is this possible?'I would like it to work in image capture but capture won't reconize it. Do i have to intall these horrible drivers? I thought using peripherals in os x was supposed to be "as simple as plugging it in" this does not seem to be the case.

any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Heb1228
Sep 1, 2005, 09:58 PM
I had to install the software for my Epson scanner. OS X includes printer drivers so all you have to do is plug printers in (usually), but it doesn't include scanner software. I think Epson's scanning software is pretty good, especially the photo restore feature.

mkrishnan
Sep 1, 2005, 09:58 PM
well my mom just got an Epson Perfection 2480 Photo and im hoping to get it working without installing the drivers and apps from the cd. is this possible?'I would like it to work in preview but preview won't reconize it. Do i have to intall these horrible drivers? I thought using peripherals in os x was supposed to be "as simple as plugging it in" this does not seem to be the case.

any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Try plugging it in and running the image capture program in your applications folder. It should also give you a preference so that image capture runs automatically when you plug the scanner in. Image capture, and not Preview, is the scanning application in OS X. I don't think Preview works with any scanners.

Heb1228
Sep 1, 2005, 09:59 PM
Try plugging it in and running the image capture program in your applications folder. It should also give you a preference so that image capture runs automatically when you plug the scanner in. Image capture, and not Preview, is the scanning application in OS X. I don't think Preview works with any scanners.
Oops maybe I gave bad advice. Let me know if that works for you.

dylan
Sep 1, 2005, 10:02 PM
wow that was quick. i meant image capture sorry i'm half asleep... i'll try just getting the twain driver off the website. i found that apps included conflicted with each other and it turned into a big mess.

Heb1228
Sep 1, 2005, 10:07 PM
Well after you get it working, I think you'll be alright with Epson's software. It's got Easy, Medium and Professional modes so you can really adjust to what type of work you're doing. I usually go back and forth between Medium and Pro modes, depending on what I'm scanning for. But like I said, the photo restore actually adjusts the hardware scanning, so you get even better results than just touching up the photo with software.

Anyways, good luck figuring out Epson's website! It usually takes me 20 minutes to figure out which driver to download for mine!

mkrishnan
Sep 1, 2005, 10:07 PM
Eeep, sorry, I thought from the model number that this scanner was one supported natively by Image Capture, but it isn't. There *are* a number of scanners that work without 3P drivers in OS X, but this one isn't one of them. A number of other Epson Perfection scanners are. :(

Here is the list:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/scanners.html

Heb1228
Sep 1, 2005, 10:10 PM
Eeep, sorry, I thought from the model number that this scanner was one supported natively by Image Capture, but it isn't. There *are* a number of scanners that work without 3P drivers in OS X, but this one isn't one of them. A number of other Epson Perfection scanners are. :(

Here is the list:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/scanners.html
That's good to know, I wasn't aware that any scanners worked without drivers. I wonder how Image Capture compares to the software that comes on the discs with those scanners.

dylan
Sep 1, 2005, 10:18 PM
well i found the drivers and attempted to install them but i got this error

"Error creating file.

1008:5,-5000 Access denied error"

anyone know how to fix this?

if only she had gotten the 2450...

Heb1228
Sep 1, 2005, 10:25 PM
well i found the drivers and attempted to install them but i got this error

"Error creating file.

1008:5,-5000 Access denied error"

anyone know how to fix this?

if only she had gotten the 2450...
The first thing you should try when getting file copying errors is opening up Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities and repairing disk permissions. See if that helps.