Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
Have an old white MacBook 2,1 (mid-2007, I believe) with a 2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM and a 120 GB HDD.

Not a ton of power, and not a ton of hard disk space (probably have 30 GB free).

This computer is running OSX Lion, as well.

What's the best way (virutalization or BootCamp?) and VERSION of Windows to run on this machine, for maximum stability? Will only be using for QuickBooks Pro (the Mac version sucks and doesn't have the features needed).

Many thanks!:D

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I've been happy with Parallels Desktop and xp for about 5 years now. Not sure it's the best but it works and it's easy to use.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Max stability and speed is bootcamp, since virtualization runs to OS's at once. I'm guessing quickbooks is some sort of financial program with lots of inputs needed like data? Well then parallels is no good because keyboard shortcuts often don't work. So you need bootcamp. Just keep in mind switching between windows and mac is annoying, and takes 3-5 minutes each time by the time you get your programs running.

Windows 7 or 8 is recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.