Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Trying to figure out the best method to manage my online contacts.
I have a windows 8 pc, iphone, ipad, and mac air.
The cloud isn't the best option, i dont think, as I would have issues accessing the contacts on windows. Right now, all my contacts are in Gmail, as that is my email service. My goal is to have an optimum way of a) changing/adding a contact on my mac, and it reflected on all my devices and in my master contact list. I have Cardav setup for my google contacts on my ios, but not able to set that up on my mac.

Opinions, thoughts, suggestions?

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Syncing to Google is not working for you? It seems like the only outlier you have there is the PC. What are you using to store contacts in Windows?

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the reply. My google contacts sync fine. Wondering if there is any benefit to just using icloud to sync contacts over all my devices opposed to icloud. I think I could easily import my google contacts into icloud.
Any advantage? Or personal preference?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the reply. My google contacts sync fine. Wondering if there is any benefit to just using icloud to sync contacts over all my devices opposed to icloud. I think I could easily import my google contacts into icloud.
Any advantage? Or personal preference?

The benefit to iCloud is some of the data fields in the Contacts app don't get synced over to Google and they do in iCloud. You could use Apple 's iCloud for Windows to sync iCloud data to the Windows machine.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
The benefit to iCloud is some of the data fields in the Contacts app don't get synced over to Google and they do in iCloud. You could use Apple 's iCloud for Windows to sync iCloud data to the Windows machine.

I was thinking that too. I know iCloud sinks to Windows machines. On the Windows side you just need Outlook 2007 or later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.