PDA

View Full Version : SOF:II or MOH:AA??

Draft
Nov 21, 2002, 11:11 PM
I'm about ready for a new first person shooter, so I've decided between Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Solder of Fortune 2. Which should I get?? Keep in mind that I'd rather play online. Multiplayer is a big factor. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Draft

kiwi_the_iwik
Nov 22, 2002, 11:31 AM
Go for broke -

Get 'em both.

:D

Draft
Nov 22, 2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
Go for broke -

Get 'em both.

:D

I don't have that kind of cash. I wish I could, though.

Draft

job
Nov 22, 2002, 03:37 PM
If you are looking for a good MP game, go with SOF2.

MoH:AA has a great first person storyline, but the MP is not that great.

MoH:AA MP is kinda boring when compared with TO, RtCW, or SOF2.

Wes
Nov 22, 2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by hitman
If you are looking for a good MP game, go with SOF2.

MoH:AA has a great first person storyline, but the MP is not that great.

MoH:AA MP is kinda boring when compared with TO, RtCW, or SOF2.

You are mocking my life! Moh:AA has the best multiplayer aspect I've seen! Better than RtCW, SOF2 gives it a good run for its money in MP, but in SP SOF2 is realllllly boring. It's the same after the same. Shoot terrorists, shoot more terrorists, here have an ak-47 and guess what... shoot more terrorists, wait, this time let's make them columbian terrorists...... you get the idea.

After you buy MoH:AA get Gameranger, don't worry, you'll see me there ;-)

job
Nov 22, 2002, 04:25 PM
Different strokes for different folks. ;) :D

For me personally, I like MP to be fast paced carnage.

The MoH:AA MP games I've played have been pretty dull.

My favorite MP game/level currently is the beach for RtCW. :p

Wes
Nov 22, 2002, 04:42 PM
Just so I don't seem so anti-rtcw, my friend is addicted to that level. He plays it over and over and over.

Different strokes for different folks. ;) :D

For me personally, I like MP to be fast paced carnage.

The MoH:AA MP games I've played have been pretty dull.

My favorite MP game/level currently is the beach for RtCW. :p

smegdude
Nov 22, 2002, 05:03 PM
sof 2 is the best fps on the mac right now. It is realistic, the weapons are modern and the enemys are intellegent and can be challenging. The MP is also really good, the random map generated MP maps mean that you never play the on the same map twice, and also helps for replayability. You can also get a decent ping with a 56k modem, which i couldn't do with moh:aa.
Moh:aa has worse graphics and most of the opposition are easy to kill. This is just my aspect of the games, don't have a go at me for my opinion.

AssassinOfGates
Nov 22, 2002, 05:12 PM
I regret buying SoFII. The storyline is good, but after a while the gore just leaves you thinking they could have done better. The MP is just crap. It's like Quake III team arena, only much worse, and very slow. Also, you cannot join PC servers, which is a kick in the pants because I got the Mac and PC version for me and my friend ('twas his b-day), and we cannot play each other online. On average, i see about 50 servers at a time, not includoing the hopless attempts of hosting one on Game Ranger. The SP is immerse in graphics, but the plot isn't enough to cling on to you, and as stated before, its more gore than gameplay.

MOHAA is a good game. The plot is good and realistic, and focuses on gameplay. Not as good as RtCW in my opinion, but its still great. Great graphics and ambient sounds, nice weapon details, good plot. The MP is good too. The taunts are actually in german, its objective based like RtCW or u can play like Q3:TA, and there are many servers. I normally see 3 servers at a time on Game Raanger, and theres hundreds on the GameSpy network built into the game. Sadly, the gamespy server browsing is crap, yet there is always a good game to play. I would have more to comment, but lately I've been playing Deus Ex. Just picked it up and it's plot is CONSUMING my free time.

Bottom line, buy MOHAA. If you havent already gotten them, get Deus Ex or RtCW, as they are far superior IMO to MOHAA and SOF

job
Nov 22, 2002, 09:47 PM
Hmmm Draft,

Looks like you are going to have a tough time making a decision. ;) :p

Deus Ex is very good. I never caught on to the MP but the storyline beats anything on the Mac right now. It is pure brilliance with artistic flair.

totally_fly
Nov 22, 2002, 11:59 PM
SOF2 would fly on your comp. with high settings for graphics, it would definately be more entertaining than MOH:AA, IMO.

Draft
Nov 23, 2002, 04:53 PM
Hitman,

Does SOF II or MOH:AA multiplayer have any games similar to TO or CS? I absolutely love TO. To bad I have to boot into a 10.1.5 partition just to play it. Keep your ideas coming! Every bit helps.

Thanks,
Draft

job
Nov 23, 2002, 11:24 PM
Draft,

SOF2 has two MP modes which are vaguely similar to TO.

The first one is called "Infiltration" in which a team must enter a base defended by the opposition and complete a certain objective. There is no respawning of players in this mode.

The other mode is termed "Elimination" and is essentially identical to TO as it is team/squad based deathmatch.

I'm not sure about MoH:AA.

Hope this helps.

hitman

Wes
Nov 24, 2002, 04:38 AM
MoH:AA has 4 mp modes. Free for all, Deathmath, Roundbased Match and Objective

FFA: Carnage
Deathmath: Team Carnage
Roundbased: Only one repsawn
Objective: Mission to be completed, only 1 respawn

Draft,

SOF2 has two MP modes which are vaguely similar to TO.

The first one is called "Infiltration" in which a team must enter a base defended by the opposition and complete a certain objective. There is no respawning of players in this mode.

The other mode is termed "Elimination" and is essentially identical to TO as it is team/squad based deathmatch.

I'm not sure about MoH:AA.

Hope this helps.

hitman

job
Nov 24, 2002, 01:41 PM
SOF2 also has your plain vanilla FPS MP modes too.

FFA and CFT are also in SOF2.

So in total, SOF2 also has 4 MP modes.

Wes
Nov 24, 2002, 04:02 PM
Well draft has enough info now, and it is up to him to make the decision. I have played both, here is my input, SoF2= eye candy (but blowing people's heads off with a shotgun at close range still is fun, and freaked the hell out of me the first time), MoH:AA= Nice graphics but is still fun because the game just has THAT fun quality, you know what I mean. Sorry Hitman :p

EDIT: just to clarify, THAT quality is the staying-up-until-2-am-playing factor.

job
Nov 24, 2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by W-_-W
MoH:AA= Nice graphics but is still fun because the game just has THAT fun quality, you know what I mean. Sorry Hitman :p

EDIT: just to clarify, THAT quality is the staying-up-until-2-am-playing factor.

Hehehe, I know mate, I've stayed up far past 2am playing MoH:AA. ;) :p

Great stuff. Nothing can touch it in single player. :D

diorio
Nov 25, 2002, 12:39 PM
I don't like MOHAA, all the levels are basically the same. They are really long and boring. :eek:

Wes
Nov 25, 2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by diorio
I don't like MOHAA, all the levels are basically the same. They are really long and boring. :eek:

If you think MoH:AA levels are the same, don't get SoF:2.

mangoman
Dec 2, 2002, 09:10 PM
I'm assuming our man above has made up his mind, but I'm casting my vote for MoHAA. Big time. You'll find me on GameRanger as "Muffin" throwin' down the rockets and the foul-mouthed taunts. After all, it's only a game! See ya there!

Mangoman/Muffin

Draft
Dec 3, 2002, 11:39 AM
Right now, I'm leaning towards SOF 2, mostly because it's about 6 or 7 bucks less then MOH. I still haven't bought either, so if you have any other compelling evidence to get one over the other, post it.

Thanks,
Draft

Draft
Dec 3, 2002, 12:28 PM
Nevermind...

I just bought SOF 2. They had a stellar deal on it through dealmac.com. Only 30 bucks.

Draft

Wes
Dec 3, 2002, 03:27 PM
You may see me on gameranger [TGD] Panic. Hope i see you there.

MacDuff
Dec 4, 2002, 09:20 PM
Medal of Honor is the alpha and omega.

smegdude
Dec 8, 2002, 07:09 PM
just thought you might want to know the sof2 update has come out, so now you get punkbuster support, 2 extra weapons, and you can play on pc servers, that is 300 + servers multiplayer. There are also game tweaks so if you haven't got it yet then go out tommorow and get it!!!! It now = godlike game. If your on multiplayer search me: uk][2k Smegdude

Draft
Dec 9, 2002, 01:04 PM
I agree. The added servers along with punkbuster support makes the multiplayer experience even better. I highly suggest this game if you are into FPS with great multiplayer capabilities.

Draft