PDA

View Full Version : I WAS a mac addict until today but Apple cured me

Brad147
Jan 17, 2002, 11:56 AM
:( How ? I own Macs since 1984: Mac Plus, Mac SE, Mac LCIII, Powerbook... and a very first Imac 233. As many of us, I've been waiting long for a new powerfull Imac.

Wonderfull, last week, jan 7, it was better than expected, it was with a G4. So I gave a phone call to the Apple store to order an immediately available Superdrive Imac.

The guy at the store explained that it would take 2 weeks to assemble it and 1 week until deliver. Super !

Until today. A new phone call to check if it will be delivered next week. What was the answer ?
5 opened days to review the order = jan 14
25 opened days to assemble it = feb 18
5 days for delivery = feb 25
All this not guaranteed. Is that immediately available ???

I was very, very dissapointed. And fed up ! So I went to a store at 50 meters from my appartment and I bought a high end PC (yes Wintel).
It's fast, I can edit my music, I can connect my DV and burn DVDs.
Plus it's less expensive and has more RAM.

If you've told me that yesterday I wouldn't have believed you. But that'it. Enough of Apple price, Apple delays, Apple bulls...!

Bye, bye Mac users.

loadbang
Jan 17, 2002, 12:03 PM
i don't believe you.

mischief
Jan 17, 2002, 12:03 PM
I'll give him 3 months.

Doraemon
Jan 17, 2002, 12:04 PM
So you get your iMac 3 weeks later. So what? That machine has already been ordered 100,000 times. Do you expect that you get some sort of special treatment?

colocolo
Jan 17, 2002, 12:19 PM
mac owner since 1984, and you got a mac plus???
interesting. get your facts straight before making things up, please

OSeXy!
Jan 17, 2002, 12:27 PM
Shouldn't this thead actually be called: "my all-time worst snap decision"? If your new machine is anything like as 'hot' as the 1.7Ghz P4 pile of rubbish I'm forced to use at work, I would be tempted to top myself right now.

spikey
Jan 17, 2002, 12:31 PM
Agreed mischief. ******* turncoat zealot AKA *******.

Boohooo, didnt diddums get his imac? awww dont cry now.
You should be grateful to even be able to have one. nobhead zealot.

The sad part is, not only he went for a PC, he went for an Intel. Ouch.
(if u believe the guy that is.)

blackpeter
Jan 17, 2002, 12:32 PM
Bill? Is it you...? GTFO!

Brad147
Jan 17, 2002, 12:36 PM
Doraemon: "Do you expect that you get some sort of special treatment?"

-> When did I wrote that ? It's not about special treatment it was just a bye bye to the Apple community that I still appreciate very much.

colocolo: "mac owner since 1984, and you got a mac plus???"

-> what's wrong with the Apple III I bought in 1984 and that I don't have anymore and the Mac Plus I bought in 1986 ? I'm sure I know Apple history since 1976 almost as well as you do...

Keep cool guys don't think too straight and don't think that you're always smartests as others.

Unregistered
Jan 17, 2002, 12:45 PM
I really like Brad147. I especially like him leaving.

(Mac 128, February 1984)
(Mac Plus)
(SE30)
(IICX)
(Quadra 950)
(Performa 6115, still running almost nonstop)
(G4 Dual 500)
(Titanium to friend (loan payback)
(iPod to friend (see above))
(iBook 500 to niece)
(iPod to niece
(iMac on order)
(G5 in dreams....)

It just gets better....

Enjoy life.. Evangelize macs...

BTW Brad147, I assume all of the software that you have spent 16 years mastering has been conveniently port to XP...

mischief
Jan 17, 2002, 12:48 PM
Welcome to the discussion, please make yourself comfortable. Monkey poop will be available for throwing as soon as the monkey's bowels recover from the last round. There will be posting off topic and personal attacks. We're mostly separated by thousands of miles so broken noses should not be an issue. Ego's will be bruised and Facts will be overlooked. Please feel free to become personally attatched to any meme and have a personal breakdown at any time. Thank you for flying Air Macrumors. Remember citizens, it's not about reality: it's about questioning reality.*BING*
:D ;) :cool: :rolleyes:

spikey
Jan 17, 2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Brad147

-> When did I wrote that ? It's not about special treatment it was just a bye bye to the Apple community that I still appreciate very much.

colocolo: "mac owner since 1984, and you got a mac plus???"

-> what's wrong with the Apple III I bought in 1984 and that I don't have anymore and the Mac Plus I bought in 1986 ? I'm sure I know Apple history since 1976 almost as well as you do...

Keep cool guys don't think too straight and don't think that you're always smartests as others.

Explain to me why the hell u went intel?
Why are you supposedly leaving the mac community, i have a PC and im not.
At the end of the day, despite having some pre-pubescent dorks in here, we are smarter than others. I am certainly smarter than a buyer of Intel products, as are quite a few ppl in here.

decoone
Jan 17, 2002, 01:06 PM
This should help make up for the previous posts

I've been a Wintel guy since the first PC's were released. I've owned every version of Windows ever available on the market, including version 1.0 that came (if memory serves) on 3 five inch floppies. Needless to say, I've been into Windows since Windows wasn't cool (not that it really is now).
I'm a Network Engineer for a smallish computer/telecom company. I know Windows of every flavor inside and out. I maintain over 10 Windows 2000 Servers, including Web Servers, 1 Novell Server and everyones desktops in the company including a few Win XP ones. I have a network in my house with two PIII's (Win XP)connected to a DSL line.
I'm BORED with computers and have been for a long time!! So what do I do??
January 10th, 2002 I placed my order for the new high end iMac.

I'm looking forward to something 'different' and I think OS X is intriguingly 'fresh'. Since I'm going to have to replace much of my software collection anyway, I can (as much as available) just get new OS X versions.

If the Mac takes a while to ship - what the hell, my systems do what I NEED for now. I'm REALLY looking forward to its arrival though - it's the 'coolest' new system I've seen in a while. In the mean time, I'm reviewing Mac software (which I know very little about) to see what's well-rated to replace necessities.

I don't think I'll ever be a Mac zealot any more than I'm a Windows zealot simply because such people never have any more than 10 percent of the truth to scream with their big mouths. But if you all wish to call me a 'windows convert', so be it.

amichalo
Jan 17, 2002, 01:16 PM
Someone with so few copeing skills will never make it in the Wintel 'community'. (is 'every one else' really a community?) Why not allow the dust to settle a little. Apple doesn't like to disapoint. You may have gotten a worste cast estimate. Anyway, what is a couple weeks. You terminally ill?

Anyway, I had never used a Mac for anything other than a punchline until a year ago when I got my Ti Book and took a look at OS X. Now I only use my PC for desk clutter.

Best of luck out there "Brad".

blackpeter
Jan 17, 2002, 01:23 PM
I suspect you'll be very happy with your new iMac (I wish I could get one as my second Mac - first is a 533 G4).

I guess the question I have for Brad147 is this:
Why can't you wait a month for your new iMac?

Is there something you needed to do so urgently that you couldn't wait? Late shipments has turned you away from Apple - a company you've been with since inception? somehow, it seems fishy.

I mean, if you're for real about this iMac thing, you need to get your meds refilled. Patience is a virtue.

Frustration and greed - these are the ways of the Dark Side of The Force.

montex
Jan 17, 2002, 01:24 PM
The post from Brad147 is interesting in two ways. First, it seems very unlikely that someone who has so heavily invested in Apple products for more than a decade, would toss it all aside because he couldn't wait three weeks for a just announced iMac. His story just doesn't hold up. Why didn't he ditch the Mac 4 years ago, during Apple's darkest days? Why wait until Apple is flying high to leave? No, I think Brad147 is a big, fat liar.

But what I find really interesting is the shocking lack of integrity. Here you have an obvious PC shill, pretending to be a "Mac Addict" who feels so insecure about the Wintel platform he has so heavily invested in, that he is compelled to fabricate a story like this. What does that say about Windows?

It's actually a compliment, of the sour grapes variety. Maybe he wishes he had a new iMac, but is facing that credit card bill from the Dell he bought last summer. Doesn't matter. Apple is going to have a great year and a terrific decade because they make great products. And petty lies like the one from Brad147 amount to... nothing.

M

amichalo
Jan 17, 2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by decoone
In the mean time, I'm reviewing Mac software (which I know very little about) to see what's well-rated to replace necessities.

My Top ten recommendations:

(1) Office v.X is excellent but has made my system unstable at times. If you don't need Office for working at home or scheduling with Entourage, then OS X comes with a great e-mail program.
(2) Airburst is a visually stunning and fun game with a cool sound track you can play for 2 or twenty minutes. Oh, and it's free (download.com)
(3) Use the built in system update to keep yourself on the 'tip of the spear'
(4) Go to www.apple.com/itunes and /iphoto and /imovie to get the latest versions of those apps. (not automagically updated by system update)
(5) If you design websites, Dreamweaver isn't out for OS X yet but there are some free tools that are great if a bit on the basic side. (download.com)
(6) Photoshop is likewise not available for OS X yet :(
(7) SETI@home is fun and runs fast on OS X (setiathome.com)
(8) For downloading MP3's, movies, etc, try Lime Wire (limewire.com) - a great Nutella client - oh, and the 2.x Pro verison is $6 payable via PayPal
(9) If using IE makes you ill, try Omni web or Mozilla. Both are excellent alternatives. (omniweb.com, mozilla.com)
(10) Virtual PC 5.0 (you can buy on-line and download - cool!) will allow you to run any windows (or Linux) apps you want

Karma Police
Jan 17, 2002, 01:28 PM
what were you thinking?! at least get an athlon...you'll be kicking yourself after hours of trying to get your DV to work and waste even more time editing your movies.

Quark
Jan 17, 2002, 01:32 PM
:rolleyes:

This may sound like a dumb question, but... wasn't the "Macintosh" the first "Mac"? I didn't think that the Apple III was called a "Macintosh,"... was it?

My first Mac is going to be the iMac 800Mhz, 512MB, Airport Card & Base Station, iSub, iPod, and some DVD-Rs.

Ordered it on 1/7/2002, got everything except the iMac.... it's okay for me to say that it's my first "Mac" isn't it? Since it has "Mac" in the name. Did I mention that Apple III doesn't have "Mac" in the name.

I love the Mac community! You guys/gals are fanatics, but "edumacated" fanatics!!:D

Doraemon
Jan 17, 2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Quark
:rolleyes:

This may sound like a dumb question, but... wasn't the "Macintosh" the first "Mac"? I didn't think that the Apple III was called a "Macintosh,"... was it?

You're absolutely right.

decoone
Jan 17, 2002, 01:54 PM
The one program that I have been REALLY worried about is Family Tree Maker. I have a very large database of my genealogy dating back to the 1590's. Unfortunately, FTM for the Mac world was discontinued 6 versions ago. I have read good reviews about 'Reunion' version 7. MacWorld gave it 4 & 1/2 'mice' which a Mac-head friend of mine says is 'stellar', so I ordered it yesterday.

It's not been updated to OS X yet, but it supposedly runs fine in 'classic' mode. Their website mentions that an 'X' version is in the works.

It's going to be a lot of work though, I can only import the 'gedcom' file which is the basic info only, I'll have to re-do all photos & scanned documents - geez!

Yes, I COULD have gotten Virtual PC and run FTM or, just used my other Windows machines, but I think I'll want to do it all on my new Mac.

Damn - I feel weird, dizzy - am I becoming................. NOooooooo
It's not even arrived yet!

Unregistered
Jan 17, 2002, 01:55 PM
So, simply because you're so impatient you can't wait a few short weeks for your new toy, you're going to switch to Windows. That makes all kinds of sense.

Quark: Sharon, darling, will you marry me?
Sharon: Yes, but let's wait until after I graduate from college in 6 months.
Quark: Six months?! Forget it! Betty, will YOU marry me?
Betty: Sure! Let's go!

dantec
Jan 17, 2002, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the club Quark...

Is anyone getting the feeling that our community is getting more and more converts, and almost noone is turning back??? Maybe the Mac will have that 95% marketshare by the end of the decade!:rolleyes:

Doraemon
Originally posted by Brad147

But what is your problem? Because your understanding of "immediate" does not match Apple's shipping time? Wake up! You're not the only one who ordered the iMac. It'll take a couple of weeks, but that's hardly a reasonable argument for buying a PC.

But do whatever makes you happy (although I really doubt that you're going to be happy with your PC).

Unregistered
correction -- replace "quark" with "brad147". My apologies!

bradbomb
Jan 17, 2002, 01:58 PM
Um, I dont know where you got the information that the new iMac was immediately available in the first place, unless you were watching a different Keynote than I was. Jobs clearly said the Superdrive model would begin shipping at the end of January, the Combo model in February and the CD-RW model in March. So leaving the mac community cause you didnt listen or read to what was announced is not Apple's fault. He also said demand would be big, and they got more orders than expected on the superdrive model. The only thing that was immediately available after the keynote was the 14" iBook. Brad147, get your facts straight before you come bad mouthing something. I'm neutral when people want to use one platform or the other, I use Mac cause that is my preference. Hope you're happy with the wintel you bought.

eyelikeart
Jan 17, 2002, 02:06 PM
ignorance......period.

MisterX
Jan 17, 2002, 02:25 PM
Bet he thinks twice about posting in here! :D

Unregistered
Jan 17, 2002, 02:28 PM
Why are people all over this guy for not wanting to wait a month? He doens't want to wait and never said a negative thing to any one of you so called anti zealots. I mean some of us who want something bad enough will wait, others don't feel the need to wait. Its not like he told you to go F your mom or something. Hardline troll Zealots. I see lots of them here.

-KXH
Athlon XP Windows 2000 Machine
Celeron Suse Linux Box
Xbox
Gamecube
N64(hey its got a G3 in it suckers!)
SuperNES
NES
Sega Genesis
PowerMac G4 500DP
Power PC 9500/132
Apple 2e
Commodore 64
ColecoVision
Atari 2600
Real Tag Heur Kirium Chronometer ('99 European Import with the black face and the sweeping hand not the ****** US market ticking watch!)
Real 2000 Movado Museum Watch
99 Chrome Yellow Mustang GT vert, slightly modded to kick the ****** out of import trash cars both eurotrash and Japanatrash
Bench 275
Squat 550
deadlift 350
Clean and Jerk 350(not likethe way a lot of you do but ,thats why there are girls but most of you wouldn't know about that!! LOL)
3 Year Varsity Letterman Defensive Tackle
B.A. Penn State Political Science'99
B.A. Penn State Economics'99
CCNA
MCSE
CNA
etc, etc, etc. I mean i could go on and on, do you finally see how lame some of you are and how much you need to stop buying mac hardware and go and see and do in the real world. I mean jeezes some of you are lame. This guy says goodbye and you rag on him.

mymemory
Jan 17, 2002, 02:39 PM
In place of placing an order 3 months before the computer comes out, I got my PB Pismo (500Mh, 256MB Ram) 3 months after it was discontinued for $1400 (with extra battery!!!) and still the best computer ever, the best deal of the year for me.

I like Apple but I love more to be intuitive for business rather that suffer for a brand name computer.

eyelikeart
Jan 17, 2002, 02:40 PM
there is something to say about someone who is impatient...

he may realize he made a mistake....or wish he had waited...so no big deal to me.....

eyelikeart
Jan 17, 2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by mymemory
In place of placing an order 3 months before the computer comes out, I got my PB Pismo (500Mh, 256MB Ram) 3 months after it was discontinued for $1400 (with extra battery!!!) and still the best computer ever, the best deal of the year for me.

I like Apple but I love more to be intuitive for business rather that suffer for a brand name computer.

perfect example! :D

Macmaniac
Jan 17, 2002, 02:44 PM
I just went to Apple.com and watched a movie, and it expalined just what brad147 really is, Big Fat Liar. If he did go Wintel I think u just did the dumbest thing in the world. I agree with bradbomb I saw the Keynote and Steve said the Combo would be out at the END of January. Also there are about 40000 other people who have ordered it. I can see brad147 now, "Oh my god it just did the fifth illegal operation and my hard drive just died!" Stinks for U. (Snow iMac grabs big torch and burns the PC to the ground *Sizzle*)

700mhz snow
100mhz performa

Quark
Jan 17, 2002, 03:00 PM
Hey, "unregistered Guest", I appreciate that you made the correction, but... uhmmm... do you have Sharon & Betty's phone numbers??:D

MaxRool
Jan 17, 2002, 03:41 PM
I can understand that, I nearly jumped ship when OSX first came out. It was such a dog. And most of my apps ran in Classic mode and that made things worse. I gave Windoze 2000 and KDE on linux a really good go, but eventually I came back to MacOS.
I learned that at the end of the day its not the actual hardware and OS that makes the machine, but the applications that are available that do what I want with class and style that really matters.
I've been using Apple computers since the IIe (does that really date me) and I have heaps of complaints about Apple and their hardware and their software, but when I listen to my Windoze buddies I realise that I have a lot to be thankful for.
Don't be surprised if you eventually turn away from the darkside back to the light :)
You won't be the first!

voicegy
Jan 17, 2002, 04:55 PM
So someone creates a thread and says he's been an Apple user and supporter for years and years.

Then he says he feels miffed about the wait time being changed on him for getting a new iMac.

So, because of the above, he's going to get a PC.

OK, yeah, and, so?

What are we supposed to do with this information, anyway? Try and talk him out of it?

1. If the post is TRUE, then I wish him all the best. *shrug* What, I'm gonna attempt to talk him out of his choice? He's NOT ASKING for input.

2. If the post is FALSE, then it's false. So there's no need for discussion anyway, because it's a waste of bandwidth.

Hrrummph. There's better things to post on around here...I'm goin' sniffin' around...

Arf, Arf! (tail wag)

Scott

Tomasz
Jan 17, 2002, 05:24 PM
Reunion 7 is really good. If you have not tried it, and a person you know has a mac... go to his house and download a free trial version. It is really convenient and easy to use. Also the features are some of the best I have seen.

It is a good product, and the OS X version will come out eventually. Classic is fine for now.

Enjoy your new mac world community.

Tomasz

Unregistered
Jan 17, 2002, 05:59 PM
I was able to get over my impatient desire for a "G5" - by cajoling my new employer to get me a G4 867 Quicksilver. - while I wait at home for a G% - due, whenever....

When asked if it would run all their software (incl Lotus Notes) I was happily able to say YES! - and since I run OSX - Notes will be out for it in the next release - It was SOOOO cool to be able to hold my mac-preference up in the face of wintel pressure.
I worked at Apple in 93 and NEXT in 96 - got "mac'd" but left the platform in 95 b/c the OS could not compete, for my needs, with NT

But, as soon as OSX came back I got an IBook then upgraded to a Ti667 - which I LOVE (which outperforms my Dell 1.6Ghz!)
Java,
Web
Unix all on a machine with UI that looks like art -

So, I can undertand his frustration, and some of the flames, but I believe he will return.

Now, My Ibook broke w/in the first month and it took apple 3.5 WEEKS to replace a small part - THAT pissed me off - but I didn't give up ( I did tell tech support they had 2 more days to fix it Or I wanted a new machine)
Then, when I pulled the iBook apart to upgrade the HD (DON'T EVER do this!!!) and compeletly screwed up the machi9ne - I sent it in for service and they fixed it, NQA, and it wa sliek new.

Apple has its problems (don't we all)...

thank you for your patience....

Unregistered
Jan 17, 2002, 06:16 PM
This goes to show that even some typical fools not only part with their money but their minds. "Someone drop the ACME Anvil of common sense on this fool for he has totally lost it!" Being an owner of both machines and working in the industry for fifteen years, if he only knew what kind of "BS" path he is about to take.

I say let him jump into the huge proverbial pile o' "fill in your favorite explitive here" I only hope that when he wakes up, no one will be around to answer that question he will have... "What the heck did I do?"

Generally loyal Mac users do think different and for the most part most Mac users have intelligence... It's obvious here that this one fits into neither category. I am personally glad he jumped as I do not even want to be in the same category as him.