Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TouchArchive

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
IL
Introducing the new Chromebook.
The $249 laptop from Google
ss-cb-keyframe-end.jpg

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/landing.html

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I tried out a Chromebook in Best Buy for a few minutes a couple weeks ago. I was not impressed. I couldn't figure out how to perform the simplest tasks with no knowledge of the OS. I think it is extremely important for these new mobile devices to be user friendly right out of the box, just like iOS.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I was reading about this earlier today, here it is £229, very tempting as I do 90% of my work in chrome

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I tried out a Chromebook in Best Buy for a few minutes a couple weeks ago. I was not impressed. I couldn't figure out how to perform the simplest tasks with no knowledge of the OS. I think it is extremely important for these new mobile devices to be user friendly right out of the box, just like iOS.

I can't say I've had any difficulties with the OS ans there aren't many "tasks" to perform.

1. Sign into Google Account.
2. Sync Google data.
3. Use. :)

What threw you exactly out of interest?

I've already seen some great changes to the OS over the little time I've had the device (currently using the Beta channel of ChromeOS) to stay one step ahead. This is how the current Beta channel looks: (gone is the iOS style app launcher which I wasn't a fan of)
Screenshot%202012-10-18%20at%2019.47.19.png
Screenshot%202012-10-19%20at%2017.43.48.png

I'm currently using the Samsung Chromebook 5 550 as a laptop and it does everything I need in a portable computer (my Desktop is my grunt that does all my computing heavy lifting).

I'm very tempted to pick up one of the new ARM based Chromebooks for my daughter to stop her hogging mine when she wants to go online. Love the fact that the new model is fanless too being a more power friendly architecture.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Is that true that this is a lesser powerful CPU than the S Galaxy III? I really don't see much of the use for such a device...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Is that true that this is a lesser powerful CPU than the S Galaxy III? I really don't see much of the use for such a device...

It has less cores than the Galaxy S III but it's running the Exynos 5250 while the Galaxy S III uses Exynos 4 Quad.

From what I've read, the Mali-T604 in the Chromebook has higher performance than the GPU in the S3 (Mali 400 MP4). The Chromebook also has a dual A15 based CPU as opposed to the Galaxy S III's quad A9 processor.

This is what the Chromebook is based on:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6148/samsung-announces-a15malit604-based-exynos-5-dual

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I've always thought Chrome books were interesting.

I'm passing for now and letting the concept bake a little longer, but it's moving in the right direction.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Introducing a cheap imitation of the MacBook Air? Doesn't Samsung have no shame? :eek:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Waste of money only good for web browsing no good apps can't run any programs better off with a nice tablet.

I remember the community screaming similar stuff to this when Apple first released / announced the original MacBook Air....

My only wish is they allowed users to install or boot into Android on the chromebook as well as ChromeOS

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'd love to see Google do Chrome OS on a phone and tablet.

My beef with Chrome books a year ago was the lack of offline content.

It's one area where it needs to be stronger for sure.

And generally I think the iPad is the much stronger, and versatile product for "light" computing.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
USB
HDMI
16 gb of on board storage
SD card slot for even more on board storage
100gb of online storage
6.5 hr battery life
30 minute recharge time
Matte screen to reduce glare
Great "macbook air" type look
Virus protection built-in
Auto updates every 6 weeks
Great keyboard
Great trackpad
Can play 1080p video no problem
Google chrome store
Does everything I need in a laptop

All this in a device that only costs $249? :confused:
SOLD!

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I've always thought Chrome books were interesting.

I'm passing for now and letting the concept bake a little longer, but it's moving in the right direction.

Yeah, they need to develop things further. I also wonder if we'll ever see a desktop version of Android. Maybe a ChromeBook powered by Android? Or maybe a Nexus laptop?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
This looks like a knockoff MacBook Air running Windows 7. Seriously, though.

So much for product differentiation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.