Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boysterload

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
I have an almost 5 year old Macbook (Core2 Duo 2.0ghz, OS 10.6.8). Networking at home was working just fine up until a few weeks ago. I have an Airport Extreme at home and I keep getting a 169.254 address both on wired and wireless. I sit right next to the thing and I get an RSSD of -89 where as another Macbook gets an RSSD of -56. I went to the Apple store and the Genius deleted a wireless profile and the wireless worked just fine at the Apple store. It also works just fine at school and everywhere else. Between myself and my roomates, we have 6 network devices in the house. 2 iPhones, 3 Apple laptops and an Xbox. All the other devices work just fine on wired and wireless.

So, if the home network is good and the laptop works everywhere except for home....what do I do? Thank you and please help!!

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
If you're getting a self-assigned link-local address, that means the Macbook isn't getting a DHCP address from your Airport Extreme. That can be happening for many reasons: The Macbook can't hear the AE, the AE can't hear the Macbook, or the AE doesn't have any addresses to give out.

How large is the DHCP address pool in your Airport Extreme?

You could also try manually assigning the Macbook an address in your local network range and see if anything works.

A.

Boysterload

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Ok

Both good ideas, Alrescha....thank you! I will try them later tonight when I get home and will update. Not sure how big the pool is.....it is a Time Capsule 2, btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.