Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
ok this may be another ebay scam BUT! if its not i may have just came up on the most amazing deal ever...suposidly this guy has a
Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
8GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 8x1GB
2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL

Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
Belkin ADC-DVI Adapter
AirPort Extreme Card
Bluetooth Module
56k V.92 modem
8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
PCI-X Gigabit Ethernet Card
Fibre Channel PCI Card (w/SFP-SFP cable)
Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
Mac OS X - U.S. English
Mac OS X Server v10.3 (Unlimited-Client)
Final Cut Express 2 preinstalled
Keynote preinstalled
iPod - 40GB
iSight
Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers & Monster 2-meter Cable
AirPort Extreme Base Station (with modem and antenna port)
.Mac Promotional Bundle
APP for Power Mac (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit
for a buy it now of only 1200 bucks!? i need help now! cause if its legit ....well what would YOU do?!

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
I just got an email back from him and it says this
HI
First I want to tell you that my power mac + 30" cinema monitor is brand new, unopened box
all accessories included and also an international warranty.
The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My price is the best you could get: 1200$/unit, including the
shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package
will be delivered from Europe.I have 5 units avalaible.
As delivery service we use UPS 2 days air service or overnight (with insurance and
15 days return policy), because it's the faster also free. And if you will have
a quick payment, we must also have a quick delivery. So that's why we
use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest and
also very secure way of sending money.
So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now,
THANK YOU
I think I heard this reply once before on a post but i dunno... I NEED YOUR HELP NOW!!!!

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
i know it is...but i mean ****...maybe he is just nuts and wants to get rid of it asap....i dunno...but i mean...it is over seas, and he wants to use western union...all the red flags are going up but maybe its just the thought of all that for so cheap...who knows.....AHHH I hate ebay

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
yea I can't even belive i posted this up....lol...i just got real excited and then when i sat down, had a smoke, and thought about it...its a joke...lol the guy is in portugal, the item is in AZ and he wants western union....NOOO thanks...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
wrxguy said:
I just got an email back from him and it says this

I think I heard this reply once before on a post but i dunno... I NEED YOUR HELP NOW!!!!

Got that same e-mail from another scammer. abuse@ebay.com, report it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
This is the most classic scam on ebay. In fact, this one is so blatant that I'm surprised anyone even does them like this anymore. Look at what he did - he just went down the list of options on apple.com and maxed out everything. You really think he happens to have 5 fully maxed G5 units that he suddenly has no need for and will sell at a HUGE loss?

The odds of you actually getting this computer are ZERO. Not low, not unlikely, ZERO. This is the oldest mac scam on ebay - you just select the most expensive system, max every option, sell for a huge loss, and only accept western union. It could not possibly be more obviously fake. If you "buy" this system you're basically putting $1200 through a shredder and you will have absolutely no one to blame but yourself.

Common sense, people.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
I appologize

I appologize for even posting this...its a waste of time...i have reported him to Ebay but once again...sorry for wasting your time :(

RobHague

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
I've been there too wrxguy. There are a lot of deals on eBay and you just dont know if they are legit or not. Some seem too good to be true and you use a lot of caution but still wonder if you could be missing out on an amazing deal - best to just stay away. Pretty much 100% of these 'cheap' Macs ive investigated turned out to be extremely dodgy, and they all usually seem to come with a 23" or 30" Apple Cinema Display :rolleyes:

Best way to find out if a seller is trustworthy, check their feedback - Look what they sold previously and look for consistancy. AVOID ANY AUCTIONS that ask you to ONLY email an email address in the advert directley instead of through ASK SELLER A QUESTION.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
I've already spoke with this guy enough to know it's a definite scam. Don't be fooled..

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
well he has been reported now...i strongly recomend anyone that comes across **** like this to do the same cause it would be nice if Ebay was rid of all these sons of bitches *crosses fingers*

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
wrxguy said:
i know it is...but i mean ****...maybe he is just nuts and wants to get rid of it asap....i dunno...but i mean...it is over seas, and he wants to use western union...all the red flags are going up but maybe its just the thought of all that for so cheap...who knows.....AHHH I hate ebay

Walk away.... Very quickly.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
wrxguy said:
I apologize for even posting this...its a waste of time...i have reported him to Ebay but once again...sorry for wasting your time :(

It's no problem at all. No reason to be sorry. I can understand your excitement. Just pleased that you have done the prudent thing.

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Just remember, payment by Western Union = Scam 99.9% of the time. Throwing money into the wind is more secure than Western Union.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Ive always wondered what good Western Union is for.

What is the actual legit purpose and use of WU?

Anyone used it for anything besides getting scammed?

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Sometimes when you're not sure, you need to ask technical questions about the system. I had a great email discussion with one of them a few months back about a top of the range iMac G5:

Me in email said:
Hi, few questions if I may. First, the Airport Express appears to
have an American plug adaptor on it - is this the case? Also, would
you be able to put up (or even email me) a couple more pictures of the
actual things for sale as well as a screenshot of the computer with the
'About this Mac' window showing? There's so many scams on Ebay that
it pays to be cautious - no offence meant.

Also, any ideas as to postage cost within the UK?

The email reply said:
Sir,
The item will be shipped factory sealed with 1 year warranty in original factory box.
It will come with warranty papers and manuals.

If you are interested my buy now price is £1500 for the iMac or please come with your offer.

Price include shipping charges and insurance.

For payment i will only use Bank Transfer.

Please advise.
Thank you

Me in second email said:
Thanks for the reply - and the pictures - but you've not answered my
question about the Airport Express The picture shows the Airport
Express with US plug - is this a US model brought to the UK? Is the
iMac and iPod the same?

Furthermore, how can the stuff be 'factory sealed' when you've got
pictures of it all on a table?

I'm still interested, so let me know ASAP.

This is where the questions got too much for them, and their low level of English began to show:

Final email reply said:
Sir,

is this a US model brought to the UK and the iMac and iPod are the same,i think that i made a mistake when i wrote this.
Please let me know if you are interested to close he deal.

Best Regards!

Of course, after the first email I'd already got them banned from Ebay, and I just kept them going to see the results. :)

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
wrxguy said:
yea I can't even belive i posted this up....lol...i just got real excited and then when i sat down, had a smoke, and thought about it...its a joke...lol the guy is in portugal, the item is in AZ and he wants western union....NOOO thanks...
What were you smoking? :confused: :eek: ;)

erickg

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2004
Sdashiki said:
Ive always wondered what good Western Union is for.

What is the actual legit purpose and use of WU?

Anyone used it for anything besides getting scammed?

I believe companies such as Western Union can be very useful if you or a family member is abroad and have i.e. lost your creditcard, but really need some cash to get by. I'm sure there are a multitude of uses besides for scammers, but this is the one that came to mind.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
And on a side note, of course everybody should know to use a credit card for big ticket items. If despite all your best efforts to sniff out a rat you still get burned (although honestly, it's pretty easy to spot a high-risk auction), at least you'll have some recourse (because ebay/paypal protection programs are a joke).

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
Toreador93 said:
Just remember, payment by Western Union = Scam 99.9% of the time. Throwing money into the wind is more secure than Western Union.
SO true, ebay even warns people now about this. they didn't use to. westren union is only good for sending somebody YOU KNOW money, otherwise it is really not recommended!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.