PDA

View Full Version : Analyst Speculates Apple Could Drop iPad 2 for 'iPad Mini'

MacRumors
Oct 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/19/analyst-speculates-apple-could-drop-ipad-2-for-ipad-mini/)

AppleInsider reports (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/19/apple-predicted-to-phase-out-ipad-2-to-streamline-product-line-for-ipad-mini) on a research note from Evercore Partners analyst Robert Cihra, who suggests that Apple may discontinue the iPad 2 alongside the launch of the "iPad mini" next week in an effort to keep the company's product lineup from expanding too much.Rob Cihra with Evercore Partners said in a note to investors this week that he sees Apple phasing out the current iPad 2, because Apple's overall vision calls for "clearer product tiers." The prediction comes as Apple is expected to lower the barrier to entry of its iPad lineup by unveiling a new, smaller iPad next Tuesday.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/ipad_2_front_side_smart_covers-500x407.jpg
In a similar strategy to that used for the iPhone, Apple has continued to offer the iPad 2 since the launch of the third-generation iPad earlier this year, offering consumers a $399 entry point for its tablet family. With the introduction of the iPad mini, Apple will be able to offer the tablet experience at even lower pricing, albeit with a smaller screen, lessening the need for the company to continue offering the iPad 2.

The claim appears to be based entirely on speculation and we have heard no specific word of Apple planning to discontinue the iPad 2, so we are treating the report with skepticism unless additional information surfaces.

Article Link: Analyst Speculates Apple Could Drop iPad 2 for 'iPad Mini' (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/19/analyst-speculates-apple-could-drop-ipad-2-for-ipad-mini/)

Ktulu
Oct 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
This makes a lot of sense and would eliminate the questions of pricing and where the mini would fit?

Woot! First Post. :-)

Caliber26
Oct 19, 2012, 11:58 AM
It saddens me to think that these "analysts" are getting paid for their wild, unfounded speculation.

----------

This makes a lot of sense and would eliminate the questions of pricing and where the mini would fit?

Woot! First Post. :-)

I'm sorry, but this isn't PerezHilton.

SandboxGeneral
Oct 19, 2012, 11:59 AM
That appears to be a logical thing to do at this point. No sense in muddying the product line with too many choices in versions, colors, cellular carrier, storage capacity and now screen size.

bushido
Oct 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
thats what i was "afraid" of and why i replaced my iPad 2 with an iPad 3 a while ago. i still wanna get iOS7 support on my fairly new device ;)

iPad 1 *sigh*

cyberspread
Oct 19, 2012, 12:03 PM
If the iPad mini doesn't start at 299.00, I will be disappointed. I would like to see it even less so we see more people adopt the platform.

goinskiing
Oct 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
This isn't surprising, though it may be interesting to see how much a refurbed iPad 2 will go for and if the iPad 1 refurbs die.

FieldingMellish
Oct 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
Apple can lower the barrier further by offering a small chalkboard styled to look like an iPad and sell it for around $35.00.

Carl Sagan
Oct 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
Makes perfect sense...

d0vr
Oct 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Nah, really?
Imma become an analyst...

Mad Mac Maniac
Oct 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
If the iPad mini doesn't start at 299.00, I will be disappointed. I would like to see it even less so we see more people adopt the platform.

I that thats the highest entry level price that there could be. I think the $250 is also equally possible. $200 is a huge longshot, but honestly Apple has the supply chain/manufacturing to make that happen if they really wanted to.

FloatingBones
Oct 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
This makes sense for another reason: if Apple does a refresh to the iPad 3 to go to the Lightning connector, then only the iPad 2 would have the 30-pin connector. Apple likes nice sleek product lines where accessories should work with all products; cutting off the iPad 2 is the simple way to eliminate the last of the 30-pin connector devices.

PracticalMac
Oct 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
I hope Apple will not sell Mini for $400.
It would insure mini will be a flop! ($100 more, get Ret-iPad.)

Apple can lower the barrier further by offering a small chalkboard styled to look like an iPad and sell it for around $35.00.

iChalk?

Snowy_River
Oct 19, 2012, 12:36 PM
This makes sense for another reason: if Apple does a refresh to the iPad 3 to go to the Lightning connector, then only the iPad 2 would have the 30-pin connector. Apple likes nice sleek product lines where accessories should work with all products; cutting off the iPad 2 is the simple way to eliminate the last of the 30-pin connector devices.

Uh... Fixed that for you.

mrsir2009
Oct 19, 2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah, the pricing between the three products would becoming too blurred.

geek36
Oct 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
make sense, why would apple continue to sell ipad 2 now that the new ipad has better features yet, they were in the same form factor. so ipad mini will replace the ipad 2 sku when it launch.

rbkruspe
Oct 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
The last? They still sell have the iPhone 4S.

Tingler
Oct 19, 2012, 01:06 PM
If the iPad mini is set to replace the iPad 2, the the mini's specifications must be the same as those of iPad 2 or better. Otherwise, replacing iPad 2 won't make much sense.

lucasmonger
Oct 19, 2012, 01:39 PM
I that thats the highest entry level price that there could be. I think the $250 is also equally possible. $200 is a huge longshot, but honestly Apple has the supply chain/manufacturing to make that happen if they really wanted to.

I think $249-299 is a pipe dream. With the iPod at $299 and the 10" iPad at $499 it only makes sense that Apple would price the iPad mini at $399. The kicker here will be that maybe, just maybe it will come with a retina display to continue to differentiate themselves from the low-end Google and Amazon offerings.

We can continue dreaming about a $200-300 low-end tablet, but why do it if people are already willing to pay? They have pricing power and will probably continue to use it.

The really wild and crazy dream would be $199 for iPad Mini, $299 for fullsized iPad, and the Microsoft Surface would be DOA as a result.

tbone0726
Oct 19, 2012, 02:22 PM

Aren't you forgetting the iPhone 4?

iRCL
Oct 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
That appears to be a logical thing to do at this point. No sense in muddying the product line with too many choices in versions, colors, cellular carrier, storage capacity and now screen size.

You must have missed the mile long page of SKUs indicating that they really don't care about having all those options in several versions

tillsbury
Oct 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
This would be a real shame. At our local primary school we are using ipads for more and more things, and want to keep buying them until we have one for every student. The discounted ipad2 is ideal for this application. If they "replaced" the ipad2 with the ipad mini this would be a significant step backwards.

lazyrighteye
Oct 19, 2012, 02:30 PM

Entry level will start at $249 and all will feature retina.
"Mark it, Dude."

pradeepgj
Oct 19, 2012, 02:35 PM

The 16GB ipod touch starts at 299. If they price the ipad mini at the same price, then the ipod touch sales would be hit hard. I know that they are different form factors, but any one who has money for just one of those, will prefer a ipad mini for a ipod touch.

Since ipod touch is already selling for 299, I would say 349 as the starting price for the mini.

And btw, apple is a greedy company. I dont see them giving up on price so easily.

bearda
Oct 19, 2012, 02:50 PM

Except for the iPhone 4S... and the iPod Classic... and the iPod shuffle...

It'll be a while till the 30-pin is gone.

token787
Oct 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
I think all Ipad 2's will sale on refurbish site until they are depleted entirely.

2bikes
Oct 19, 2012, 04:20 PM
If so, shouldn't we see a decrease in iPad2 supply by now?

DennisD7
Oct 19, 2012, 04:24 PM

The iPod Shuffle doesn't have a 30-pin connector. I know, right? I just found this out myself the other day.

PerfectDB
Oct 19, 2012, 04:28 PM
Makes sense, given the Mini is essentially a shrunken iPad 2.

pubwvj
Oct 19, 2012, 04:32 PM
This would be a very bad idea. The mini is a mini. It lacks the beautiful large display and touch surface of the full size iPad. Having an iPodTouch, a mini and a full size iPad gives people different options. Apple is trying to appeal to older users who previously didn't have computers and to aging eyes. Aging eyes like the larger print. The large display is wonderful for looking at photos and videos.

If anything Apple should expand with a iPadMax (a maxipad) that would be even larger, say 17" or so which could be hung on the wall as a picture, used as a desktop computer (with full MacOS integration) with a keyboard, etc.

somethingelsefl
Oct 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
Analyst - One who "lists" "anals" (or at least that's how I feel about their absurd speculations sometimes)

FloatingBones
Oct 19, 2012, 05:12 PM

Shuffle doesn't have a 30-pin. 3G and 4G iPod Shuffle have used a USB-to-headphone-jack connector.

iPod Classic is the lowest-volume seller in the line.

The 4S is the only widely-sold product that would need a retrofit.

h0mi
Oct 19, 2012, 05:15 PM
Shuffle doesn't have a 30-pin. 3G and 4G iPod Shuffle have used a USB-to-headphone-jack connector.

iPod Classic is the lowest-volume seller in the line.

The 4S is the only widely-sold product that would need a retrofit.

If the "new ipad" (not mini) gets the rumored retrofit, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the 4s get one too... eventually.

techwhiz
Oct 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
An iPad Mini prices at $399 is dead on arrival.
Unlike when the iPad was initially introduced and Apple could define the value proposition, the 7" tablet market has already been defined.

Nexus 7 Specifications:
Quad Core Tegra 3
7", 1280x800 IPS Display
NFC, GPS, Gyroscope
Microphone
Front Facing Camera
8GB storage
etc...

All the for the price of $199. (16GB version is $249)
Apple needs to match this price point or come close to it to eliminate the Nexus 7 and the FireHD as competitors.

slu
Oct 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
It makes a lot of sense to me. $299 touch, $399 mini, $499 iPad. Don't like price point, but Apple sets their own market.

Medic311
Oct 19, 2012, 11:53 PM
i haven't seen any iPad 2 refurb Wifi models in over a month.

they've been out of stock for a long time - i wonder if Apple is really out of stock or rationing it in at attempt to get people to buy this upcoming iPad Mini?

Lancer
Oct 20, 2012, 04:51 AM
Only a few more days and all will be revealed.:D

timcullis
Oct 20, 2012, 09:36 AM
I'm surprised it's taken this long for some analyst to state what I thought was blindingly obvious.

1) The iPad2 occupies a pricing sweetspot that will be duplicated with the iPad mini (low end models of which might actually come in at a slightly lower price than the iPad2). There's no need for two products addressing the same pricing point.

2) Apple would like to dominate the 7" market, so why reduce sales into this market by having the distraction of offering potential buyers the alternative of the iPad2?

3) Apple's revision of the 3rd gen iPad will undoubtedly include a Lightning connector. This will mean the mainstream products (iPhone 5, new iPods, iPad mini and revised iPad) will all be on the new connector.

How far will Apple go with the revisions on the 3rd gen iPad? Personally I think it will be limited to the connector and maybe 4G LTE for additional countries. No point in annoying customers who bought in the last few months, and the company might as well keep its powder dry for a major revision next year.

the8thark
Oct 20, 2012, 02:34 PM

And here it is for only $35 each.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2KWrGJawy34/S5R1xffYT0I/AAAAAAAAARI/Cn9U94QMGeY/s400/100308_Mini+Chalkboards.jpg

----------

1) The iPad2 occupies a pricing sweetspot that will be duplicated with the iPad mini (low end models of which might actually come in at a slightly lower price than the iPad2). There's no need for two products addressing the same pricing point.

2) Apple would like to dominate the 7" market, so why reduce sales into this market by having the distraction of offering potential buyers the alternative of the iPad2?

3) Apple's revision of the 3rd gen iPad will undoubtedly include a Lightning connector. This will mean the mainstream products (iPhone 5, new iPods, iPad mini and revised iPad) will all be on the new connector.

How far will Apple go with the revisions on the 3rd gen iPad? Personally I think it will be limited to the connector and maybe 4G LTE for additional countries. No point in annoying customers who bought in the last few months, and the company might as well keep its powder dry for a major revision next year.
1. I agree 100%. I feel this could kill the iPad2.
2. Very plausible.
3. I don't think the iPad (3rd Generation) will be updated in a few days time. I think it'll be possibly a mini only addition to the iPad line.

The Man
Oct 21, 2012, 05:17 AM
The 16GB ipod touch starts at 299. If they price the ipad mini at the same price, then the ipod touch sales would be hit hard. I know that they are different form factors, but any one who has money for just one of those, will prefer a ipad mini for a ipod touch.

Since ipod touch is already selling for 299, I would say 349 as the starting price for the mini.

And btw, apple is a greedy company. I dont see them giving up on price so easily.

Why would Apple care if you buy an iPad mini for $299 over an iPod touch for $299? It's money in the bank either way. Both can hold their own value at the same price, because iPod has 32GB, is music player, is small, and has good camera. iPad starts at 16GB, is something for browsing, reading, watching TV and movies. Besides, people who want to buy a music player, don't buy an iPad mini.

----------

And here it is for only $35 each.

3. I don't think the iPad (3rd Generation) will be updated in a few days time. I think it'll be possibly a mini only addition to the iPad line.

I personally think it might be updated, because it was a stopgap. The battery is way too big for the new iPad, because it lacked the Sharp IGZO screen. Thus the iPad had to be thicker, is heavier, and charging takes very long. But Apple had to come out with the new iPad in March, so they went with their backup solution.

But if Apple now has the IGZO screen in quantities, I think they might introduce an updated iPad (3). The battery will be as small in capacity as the iPad 2. This will cost Apple less money, and it will be better to have a lighter and thinner iPad 3. It would be the first time Apple tweaked their offering this soon, but it is not unheard of in the whole PC industry (look at Samsung). If the new iPad was a stopgap, they want to roll out what they planned to roll in the first place as soon as possible.

lucasmonger
Oct 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
An iPad Mini prices at $399 is dead on arrival.
Unlike when the iPad was initially introduced and Apple could define the value proposition, the 7" tablet market has already been defined.

Nexus 7 Specifications:
Quad Core Tegra 3
7", 1280x800 IPS Display
NFC, GPS, Gyroscope
Microphone
Front Facing Camera
8GB storage
etc...

All the for the price of $199. (16GB version is $249)
Apple needs to match this price point or come close to it to eliminate the Nexus 7 and the FireHD as competitors.

But, an iPad mini at $399 with retina would blow away the Nexus 7 for the display alone and cause the Microsoft Surface to be dead on arrival at $499 (also not retina). Apple is not going to come close to the Nexus 7 and Fire HD price points because there's no money to be made at those prices, just like Apple chose to not compete in the netbook market. Google and Amazon can continue to price their devices at cost or even at a loss and write down the costs with profits from the rest of their ecosystem, but why should Apple follow suit?

Hell0W0rld
Oct 21, 2012, 03:22 PM
This would be a very bad idea. The mini is a mini. It lacks the beautiful large display and touch surface of the full size iPad. Having an iPodTouch, a mini and a full size iPad gives people different options. Apple is trying to appeal to older users who previously didn't have computers and to aging eyes. Aging eyes like the larger print. The large display is wonderful for looking at photos and videos.

If anything Apple should expand with a iPadMax (a maxipad) that would be even larger, say 17" or so which could be hung on the wall as a picture, used as a desktop computer (with full MacOS integration) with a keyboard, etc.

dream on, but sonner or later they might just merge OSX and iOS together so 27" mobile imac in 10 years or so, who knows. (Well the people who know the long term roadmaps know, but they are not going to tell us, are they?)

paul4339
Oct 22, 2012, 12:20 AM

Yes,,, if you shop based on specs alone... but the average consumer may not though.

gnasher729
Oct 22, 2012, 06:19 AM
I find this speculation very unlikely to come true.

7 inch vs. 10 inch is a matter of preference / usage. 7 inch has a huge advantage and a huge disadvantage: The advantage is that it is a lot smaller. The disadvantage is that it is a lot smaller. Most people who were going to buy the iPad 2 are not going to buy a 7 inch iPad, and they will not want to spend $100 more for the iPad 3.

dream on, but sonner or later they might just merge OSX and iOS together so 27" mobile imac in 10 years or so, who knows. (Well the people who know the long term roadmaps know, but they are not going to tell us, are they?)

People with common sense know this is not going to happen. There will be more and more common code, but a user interface that works fine on a tablet is rubbish for a desktop with two monitors and vice versa. Unfortunately for Microsoft and its customers, they haven't figured that quite out yet :-)

Something hanging on the wall would have to be much bigger; 40 inch upwards. And you can buy that already: Get any large TV with wall mount and a Mac Mini.

nutmac
Oct 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
It makes a lot of sense to me. $299 touch, $399 mini, $499 iPad. Don't like price point, but Apple sets their own market.

Except that $299 iPod touch includes 32GB. $499 iPad includes 16GB, so you need to base your pricing structure against $199 16GB iPod touch (4th generation).

If you average out 16GB $199 iPod Touch and $499 iPad, 16GB iPad mini will retail at $349. If iPad mini debuts with non-retina screen, it will retail below $349.

At the same time, Apple is probably planning to update iPad mini with retina screen within 1-2 years, so it probably doesn't want to price iPad mini too low. $249 would be ideal, but for this reason, I strongly suspect iPad mini will start at $299.

MythicFrost
Oct 22, 2012, 07:20 PM
It's possible, but it does make sense to have a $249-$299 non-Retina iPad mini, a $399 non-Retina iPad, and then a $499 Retina iPad.

sineplex
Oct 23, 2012, 03:56 AM
Geeze, if they're bringing in an updated 'new' ipad plus a whole line of ipad minis

an the analyst speculates they'll drop the ipad2??

he must be a god damn genius. hell, no one has ever mentioned this in the last 3 months. never.

thunderboltmac
Oct 23, 2012, 08:36 AM
I think its true....

http://store.apple.com/hk/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/select_ipad2

visim91
Oct 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
What a retarded analyst.