PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas Allegra, the Hacker Behind JailbreakMe.com, No Longer Working at Apple

MacRumors
Oct 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/19/nicholas-allegra-the-hacker-behind-jailbreakme-com-no-longer-working-at-apple/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/comex.pngComex, the hacker responsible for JailbreakMe.com, is no longer employed (http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/10/18/iphone-uber-hacker-comex-is-out-at-apple/) at Apple after working at the company as an intern for just over a year. Forbes reports (http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/10/18/iphone-uber-hacker-comex-is-out-at-apple/) that Allegra forgot to respond to an email offering him a continuation of his employment at the company:
When I followed up with Allegra in a phone call, he explained that the email he forgot to answer was an offer to continue his employment at Apple as a remote intern. At Apple, apparently, offer letters are taken rather seriously, and Allegra soon learned that his had been rescinded. "I wasn't too happy about it, but it didn't seem like I was able to fix it," he says. "So that's what it is."

Allegra added that his departure from Apple was more complicated than just a forgotten email, and that "it wasn't a bad ending," but declined to say more. He also wouldn't say what he worked on during his two internships at Apple-one in the fall of last year and one over the past summer-but he said he enjoyed his time in Cupertino.Last year, Forbes unmasked Comex (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/01/hacker-behind-jailbreakme-com-identified-as-brown-university-student/) as Nicholas Allegra, a Brown University student from Chappaqua, NY. In that article, Allegra described jailbreaking as "like editing an English paper... You just go through and look for errors. I don't know why I seem to be so effective at it."

Article Link: Nicholas Allegra, the Hacker Behind JailbreakMe.com, No Longer Working at Apple (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/19/nicholas-allegra-the-hacker-behind-jailbreakme-com-no-longer-working-at-apple/)

j_maddison
Oct 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
I think you'll find they take offer letters rather seriously in most companies, welcome to the real world! :)

BornAgainMac
Oct 19, 2012, 12:01 PM
But how does this relate to Harry Potter?

FieldingMellish
Oct 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
What a douche bag.

bushido
Oct 19, 2012, 12:05 PM
now get back at apple by releasing a untethered A5 chip 6.0 jb ;)

macchiato2009
Oct 19, 2012, 12:08 PM
now get back at apple by releasing a untethered A5 chip 6.0 jb ;)

i was thinking the same :D

Eddyisgreat
Oct 19, 2012, 12:09 PM
REMOTE intern?

You're telling me this guy got to collect a fat apple paycheck and got to do it wherever he wanted?

i'd be mad too if i missed that offer letter. this is the type of thing that makes people move to blackhat, china, or possibly samsung.

KentuckyHouse
Oct 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
What a douche bag.

Jealousy is such an ugly thing. :rolleyes:

Koodauw
Oct 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
Best wishes to Comex! He has has done a lot for the apple community. I can't wait to see his work with Ponies. ;)

ahmet
Oct 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
One does not simply forget to respond Apple's offer

Akarin
Oct 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
At Apple, apparently, offer letters are taken rather seriously

Only at Apple? I guess this guy needs a crash course such as "How To Cope In The Real World 101".

winston1236
Oct 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
Probably for the best. Im sure he didnt want to be a career intern.

HMI
Oct 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
I'm wondering if "remote intern" is just a clever way to "fire" him without legally firing him.
Was he being pushed out of the company, now that they got whatever info out of him they wanted.
Was he a remote intern before, or was this a change in title/designation/status?

Anyone heard of this before?

pianophile
Oct 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
He should be upset with himself for failing to deal with his e-mail in a timely manner, not upset with Apple.

noname3151
Oct 19, 2012, 12:14 PM
Made a decision that's best for him.

DrMotownMac
Oct 19, 2012, 12:18 PM

LOL!!! That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw that dude's photo! All he needs is a wand, a broomstick and a lightning bolt on his forehead!

gotluck
Oct 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
hopefully he gets back to jailbreaks, lord knows we need him...

still wishing for a limerain-esque bootrom exploit for A5 & A6 devices!
(probably a pipedream :( )

CristobalHuet
Oct 19, 2012, 12:24 PM
Dummie.

pnoyblazed
Oct 19, 2012, 12:25 PM
guy looks like a dbag

HMI
Oct 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
Dummie.

Dummy. Sorry couldn't resist. Too easy.

----------

LOL!!! That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw that dude's photo! All he needs is a wand, a broomstick and a lightning bolt on his forehead!

Now someone has to post the photoshopped version of this! Please!

DJAKO
Oct 19, 2012, 12:32 PM
Maybe if he used his @icloud.com email he could've blamed it on an iCloud outage and say he never got Apple's email.

STiNG Operation
Oct 19, 2012, 12:32 PM
Probably mostly lies in this story....

It's not like Apple wouldn't let him know while he is employed as intern that they will be re hiring him....

They wouldn't just shoot him an email out of the blue and be like "hey you want to keep working for us" lol.

everything-i
Oct 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
What a prat, he needs to lean how the real world works, big opportunities like this don't come along too often especially in the current labour market.

charlituna
Oct 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
REMOTE intern?

You're telling me this guy got to collect a fat apple paycheck and got to do it wherever he wanted?

Interns rarely to never get a FAT paycheck, if they get one at all and they rarely to never get to do whatever they want.

As for the 'remote' part, he's a student whose 'job' was likely to through the various betas and such and look for loopholes that would allow someone to create a jailbreak. You don't need to be at Cupertino to do that. Thus the remote offer, which he F'd up by not opening that email.

everything-i
Oct 19, 2012, 12:41 PM

No, I don't think it's Jealousy, he does appear to be a douche.

gotluck
Oct 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
What a prat, he needs to lean how the real world works, big opportunities like this don't come along too often especially in the current labour market.

I'm sure he'll be just fine. You do realize why he got this opportunity right? he obviously has skills...

Id be surprised if Apple paid him more than he received in donations for his jailbreak releases.

charlituna
Oct 19, 2012, 12:44 PM

It's not like Apple wouldn't let him know while he is employed as intern that they will be re hiring him....

If they knew before he left town that they were going to rehire him, sure. But they might not have made that decision before he left. Perhaps because they originally wanted him to be in Cupertino and it was only after he went back home that they decided that they didn't have to have him in Cupertino and he could do the job wherever just fine

12dylan34
Oct 19, 2012, 12:44 PM
Wow...I would definitely be on top of any email offering me long term work, especially at Apple.

Sometimes people that are really smart and talented become arrogant and think that the world will just cater to them. Sounds just like a dose of the real world to me.

mrsir2009
Oct 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
Probably a good thing - Now he'll be working on jailbreaks rather than working on stopping jailbreaks :D

FoxMcCloud
Oct 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
I won't have a job in a few months. Can this be made front page news?

everything-i
Oct 19, 2012, 12:52 PM

Yeh, probably glad he can go back to hacking iOS in his parents basement.:rolleyes:

----------

I won't have a job in a few months. Can this be made front page news?

Only if Apple offer you a job and you can't be bothered to accept it.

Scooz
Oct 19, 2012, 12:57 PM

Harry Unabomber Potter?

cgk.emu
Oct 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
What a douche bag.

My thoughts exactly. He's just a punk kid with a very specific skill set. Other than that, he's still a doofus. I work around kids like this all the time (I do IT for a University). Hey, I have degrees, too (Masters), but the attitudes these kids have are ridiculous. Man, if I have to hear "that's SO leet" one more time today...

Bevz
Oct 19, 2012, 12:59 PM
i wouldn't have thought he made that much of an impression during his time at Apple... If he had i'm sure someone at apple would have been on the phone to him to remind him to reply to the email, or would have simply got him to sign something quickly to ensure he stays onboard.

No disrespect to him; he clearly has talent, the fact they even offered him a return proves that, but what i'm saying is, he clearly wasn't a "we've got to keep him!" type of employee... So, chalk this down to just a lost opportunity - he's young, he'll have plenty of time to loose more opportunities or grasp them if he really wants... One things for sure; he'll take offer letters more seriously in the future ;)

padrino121
Oct 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
Wow...I would definitely be on top of any email offering me long term work, especially at Apple.

Sometimes people that are really smart and talented become arrogant and think that the world will just cater to them. Sounds just like a dose of the real world to me.

There are so many flawed assumptions in your post.

1. If you want it so bad go get a job there yourself? Like every company it has it's ups and downs.

2. I read the email as a young kid not necessarily having a handle on how things are done. The jealously underlying your tone tells me your view will be quite different, and just a little bit sad.

Westside guy
Oct 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
Man, if I have to hear "that's SO leet" one more time today...

What, are you working in the past or something? I don't think anyone's said that in 7-8 years.

designs216
Oct 19, 2012, 01:03 PM
Hey, even Steve got fired from Apple and look how that turned out.

jclardy
Oct 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
I'm wondering if "remote intern" is just a clever way to "fire" him without legally firing him.
Was he being pushed out of the company, now that they got whatever info out of him they wanted.
Was he a remote intern before, or was this a change in title/designation/status?

Anyone heard of this before?

That was his title the whole time...he was a paid intern who worked remotely, presumably because they weren't going to pay him to relocate to Cupertino.

njchris
Oct 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure I understand all the DB comments. Sure he was dumb to let an opportunity slip by, but he was not negative in his comments at all.

SkippyThorson
Oct 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
Who FORGETS to respond to a letter asking you to continue a business relationship with APPLE? Agreed to others' comments; this kid seems to be the "my shat don't stank" kind.

samcraig
Oct 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
He no longer works there. He didn't get fired. He just ceased employment. His "term" was up and it wasn't renewed.

But that being said - I find the comments of some of the posters here far more "douchey" than this guy. No one knows the exact details of what went "down", what he did at Apple and what his goal are.

He might have some growing up to do - but what's your excuse?

Cygnus311
Oct 19, 2012, 01:30 PM
Hopefully Monoprice will hire him so we can get some cheaper Lightning cables now.

tbrinkma
Oct 19, 2012, 01:43 PM
Who FORGETS to respond to a letter asking you to continue a business relationship with APPLE? Agreed to others' comments; this kid seems to be the "my shat don't stank" kind.

I was contracting for several years, and I had a 2+ year contract end unexpectedly because, due to personnel changes on both sides, my contract renewal simply fell through the cracks and got missed. And, due to the personnel changes, I didn't have contact information for any of the new people I then needed to get in touch with to figure out why I hadn't heard anything. :(

**** happens. In this case, it was he who didn't prioritize something properly. Kinda sucks, but *most* businesses handle offer-letter deadlines pretty strictly. I've been able to drag a few extra days out of some, but for most it's been a case of 1-2 days, '**** or get off the pot'.

Either way, he had a hell of an opportunity, and took advantage of it for a while. He probably won't have trouble getting a 'real job' when he's ready to get back onto the market.

----------

He no longer works there. He didn't get fired. He just ceased employment. His "term" was up and it wasn't renewed.

But that being said - I find the comments of some of the posters here far more "douchey" than this guy. No one knows the exact details of what went "down", what he did at Apple and what his goal are.

He might have some growing up to do - but what's your excuse?

According to the details available, it looks like they offered to renew, but he messed up by not responding before the offer expired. If anything, that probably makes it *worse* from his perspective.

Other than that, you're spot on.

Fazzy
Oct 19, 2012, 01:46 PM
Yeh, probably glad he can go back to hacking iOS in his parents basement.:rolleyes:[COLOR="#808080"]

bitter, much?

everything-i
Oct 19, 2012, 01:55 PM
bitter, much?

No not bitter, it's called sarcasm.

pacalis
Oct 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
I find some of the comments here pretty appalling - it's not like this guy is now unemployable.

Moreover, Apple looks shortsighted here - they neutralized a threat through contract rather than seeming to build on his skill set.

hamkor04
Oct 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
Only at Apple? I guess this guy needs a crash course such as "How To Cope In The Real World 101".

Like a embedded system chips, only does "clever" thing but not a "productive" on its own

ConCat
Oct 19, 2012, 02:19 PM
What, are you working in the past or something? I don't think anyone's said that in 7-8 years.

The world is a very big place.

Virtual Steve
Oct 19, 2012, 02:22 PM

Now someone has to post the photoshopped version of this! Please!

Sorry, no broomstick ...

sanibel
Oct 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
REMOTE
this is the type of thing that makes people move to blackhat, china, or possibly samsung.
I hear Samsung treats its employees very well. China does too.

Fazzy
Oct 19, 2012, 02:28 PM

No, I don't think it's Jealousy, he does appear to be a douche.

These don't seem so sarcastic to me.

liavman
Oct 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
Mr. Allegra is allergic to Apple ;)

Ciclismo
Oct 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Did he really forget, or was what Apple was offering below par and he had hoped that maybe they'd come back to him with a better offer? Apple may be a great place to work, but not every employee gets what they want, or need, or deserve out of them. if everyone that worked there did, then no one would ever leave.

nullz
Oct 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
Probably a good thing - Now he'll be working on jailbreaks rather than working on stopping jailbreaks :D

I doubt it. Now that he's worked at Apple, they can claim that he is privy to Apple's trade secrets, and could credibly sue him for making public any method of jailbreaking Apple devices.

Shade12
Oct 19, 2012, 02:56 PM
Don't worry you will find a new job just get a haircut and dress casual. : D

munkery
Oct 19, 2012, 02:57 PM
Given his skill set and connections in the industry, he will most likely get higher paying employment with a security company than being an intern at Apple.

Also, exploits for vulnerabilities can be sold. In the vulnerability grey market, exploits like the ones he produces sell for big money.

Glideslope
Oct 19, 2012, 03:00 PM
He's a youngin. Good Life Lesson learned. He will have other opportunities.:apple:

DanteMann
Oct 19, 2012, 03:07 PM
Not everyone cares to kiss Apple's ass. Bravo. Now go over to Samsung and make Apple regret their decision.

GoCubsGo
Oct 19, 2012, 03:11 PM

Anyone heard of this before?I kind of think you need to read it again, or I do. I think he was always a remote intern and I don't think a company looking to push anyone out is going to unleash them into the world to work from wherever outside of the watchful eye. Think about it.

They wouldn't just shoot him an email out of the blue and be like "hey you want to keep working for us" lol.

If he is remote I don't doubt that they shot him an e-mail. Most people who work in the real world read their e-mails and those who do not find themselves out of a job eventually.

And to those calling him a douche by his photo; how incredibly narrow-minded people are these days. To get to a point where you can look at some scruffy 20 year old kid and think he's a douche is absurd to me. He "forgot" to respond to an e-mail and that smells fishy but there has to be way more to the story.

MacSince1990
Oct 19, 2012, 03:30 PM

I like how you guys talk about the "real world" as if it's hard, or something only some people can handle. Get over yourself.

And by the way, as far as the "real world" goes... you're hitting buttons on a board, entering 0's and 1's into a box and sending them hundreds of miles away within a matter of seconds into another box where it's stored and displayed for others to look at and reply to in the same way.

You call this reality?

Get real.

----------

You're confusing the rate at which opportunities come to sub-120s like you, and people like Allegra.

Understandable mistake.

everything-i
Oct 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
These don't seem so sarcastic to me.

No they are just simple facts. Maybe your just not recognising simple dry British wit here.

12dylan34
Oct 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
There are so many flawed assumptions in your post.

1. If you want it so bad go get a job there yourself? Like every company it has it's ups and downs.

2. I read the email as a young kid not necessarily having a handle on how things are done. The jealously underlying your tone tells me your view will be quite different, and just a little bit sad.

I'm not in any field that Apple deals with, and I have great respect for anyone talented enough in their field to get hired there. My point was that if I was offered a job at one of the best places to work in the world, I would have been on making sure I'm replying to my email.

Maybe I'm wrong about him being arrogant on second thought. I guess I was trying to say that you can be the smartest and most talented person in the world, but you can't be unmindful, otherwise you'll get the boot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you should reply to an email offering you a long term job.

MacSince1990
Oct 19, 2012, 03:37 PM
My point was that if I was offered a job at one of the best places to work in the world, I would have been on making sure I'm replying to my email.

You want to work for Apple? Foxconn just sent you an email :)

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you should reply to an email offering you a long term job.

They were offering him a continuation of his internship.

AmpSkillz
Oct 19, 2012, 03:45 PM

I am quite sure that this "remote intern" job was much more like a monthly "please don't release any hacks for iOS" pay off, and not so much a career choice he would have to be stuck in.

I have no doubt that Apple had him contractually restricted from releasing any iOS hacks as long as they were paying him, with further stipulations that he report all coding errors/loopholes he found exclusively to Apple.

ipadDev
Oct 19, 2012, 03:55 PM
Being a low-level apple code monkey or hardware jockey is not the best pay in the world. I'd offer him 90k+benefits+equity to work full-time in Texas with a clear path to 100k+ in a year or two.

Hopefully he can get back to jailbreaking. He most likely will not be able to go by comex or his real name since he signed an NDA with Apple and probably learned a lot about A5/A6 boot-loader security with insider Apple knowledge.

FieldingMellish
Oct 19, 2012, 03:56 PM

Jealousy? Guy's a knucklehead letting an opportunity evaporate.

Bill Killer
Oct 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
I'm sorry, but who makes a formal job offer via email?

gotluck
Oct 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
Jealousy? Guy's a knucklehead letting an opportunity evaporate.

like said previously in this thread, there are likely better offers out there for this guy than being an intern at apple

Bahamut Eos
Oct 19, 2012, 04:16 PM
I don't understand the hostel reactions to this guy. :confused: He's not working for apple, not that happy about it, that's fair. Missing an e-mail deadline doesn't make him a bad person.

Also he looks like a Harry Potter for sure.

nick_elt
Oct 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
Being a low-level apple code monkey or hardware jockey is not the best pay in the world. I'd offer him 90k+benefits+equity to work full-time in Texas with a clear path to 100k+ in a year or two.

Hopefully he can get back to jailbreaking. He most likely will not be able to go by comex or his real name since he signed an NDA with Apple and probably learned a lot about A5/A6 boot-loader security with insider Apple knowledge.

sounds good to me

Fazzy
Oct 19, 2012, 04:34 PM
No they are just simple facts. Maybe your just not recognising simple dry British wit here.

Oh I wouldn't call that wit. ;)

pandamonia
Oct 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
Why would you want to work for Apple anyway. Biggest nazi employer on the planet. No trust no loyalty and crappy hours and no life.

He would be better off working at Google. At least they have a good culture.

You only have to look at the acquisition retention of staff of Apple vs Google.

At Apple they cant wait to get out.

chairguru22
Oct 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
Yea... when someone asks you if you want to keep working and you don't respond... you tend to stop working there...

iGrip
Oct 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
He "forgot" to respond to an e-mail and that smells fishy but there has to be way more to the story.

Did anybody in this thread actually read to the end of the article?

Allegra added that his departure from Apple was more complicated than just a forgotten email,

FieldingMellish
Oct 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
like said previously in this thread, there are likely better offers out there for this guy than being an intern at apple

Your statement's strangely got nothing to do with my response to someone calling me jealous in response to my original post, calling the young man a douche bag for having lost sight of Apple's email.

Saladinos
Oct 19, 2012, 05:32 PM
He should be upset with himself for failing to deal with his e-mail in a timely manner, not upset with Apple.

Really, yeah.

I mean, you'd think someone from HR would follow up - like give him a phone call or email again asking if everything was OK with the offer. It's rather atypical that they just send an email offering employment and then forget he exists until after the deadline.

Whatever the case, he doesn't seem too upset about it. TBH, I don't think Apple is a good cultural fit for anybody from the JB community; those guys are hackers (in the facebook use of the word). Apple sounds too oppressive a place to work.

I mean really, if you've got to choose between:

- Apple: where security can apparently search your private phone for evidence of leaking to journalists, or
- Google: where you get free gourmet meals, childcare, a totally chilled work environment with 20% time

Who would you choose? I mean yeah, Apple are making a difference with big products, but it's not like you can't make a difference at Google: Google have made such a big difference that to lots of people, Google is the internet.

samcraig
Oct 19, 2012, 05:41 PM

Communication (effective anyway) requires both parties to understand not only the words - but also the intent of those words. Wit and humor are even more complicated

In other words - I would say you failed on both at both effectively communicating and wit. Well played.

Battlefield Fan
Oct 19, 2012, 06:19 PM

I did last month. I've been going to a couple job fairs at my school. They only give 48 hours to respond. Just happens that was the weekend I got my new iPhone and didn't set all of my email accounts set up.

Kind of annoyed but I think I received a better offer elsewhere!

gotluck
Oct 19, 2012, 06:21 PM
Your statement's strangely got nothing to do with my response to someone calling me jealous in response to my original post, calling the young man a douche bag for having lost sight of Apple's email.

Your tone sure sounds jealous to me.

bmunge
Oct 19, 2012, 06:42 PM
Stupid Kid

----------

I did last month. I've been going to a couple job fairs at my school. They only give 48 hours to respond. Just happens that was the weekend I got my new iPhone and didn't set all of my email accounts set up.

Are you a computer science grad? I'm a very talented Java and iOS developer and have been interested in looking into employment there. I'm not an Ivy Leaguer though; I'm not sure how much emphasis is placed on that.

jackbenimble4
Oct 19, 2012, 07:08 PM
Interns rarely to never get a FAT paycheck, if they get one at all and they rarely to never get to do whatever they want.

As for the 'remote' part, he's a student whose 'job' was likely to through the various betas and such and look for loopholes that would allow someone to create a jailbreak. You don't need to be at Cupertino to do that. Thus the remote offer, which he F'd up by not opening that email.

Interns at large tech companies pretty much always are paid and usually pretty well. They might not be 'FAT' paychecks, but they're nothing to scoff at. $5,000-$6,500/mo is pretty common.

Joesmith13245
Oct 19, 2012, 07:38 PM
Apple had no intention on hiring this kid. This was an excersise in knowledge transfer: how to plug the holes and prevent future jailbreaks. I find it hard to beleive an email is considered a formal means to offer an internship. Something is not right here.

Glideslope
Oct 19, 2012, 07:57 PM

Oh no, not British Wit !!!!!!!!

Sorry. Just can't stop. :rolleyes:

ardent73
Oct 19, 2012, 08:31 PM

No one, a phone call, with a printed letter via FedEx... get it in writing doesn't mean email.

FieldingMellish
Oct 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
Your tone sure sounds jealous to me.

Sounds like you're the douche bag.

gotluck
Oct 19, 2012, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you're the douche bag.

Awesome, you must be a lovely person.

FieldingMellish
Oct 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
Awesome, you must be a lovely person.

We're both losers on this board on a Friday night. :o

DDMaKeeg
Oct 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
but how does this relate to harry potter?

+1

macingman
Oct 19, 2012, 08:58 PM
- Apple: where security can apparently search your private phone for evidence of leaking to journalists, or
- Google: where you get free gourmet meals, childcare, a totally chilled work environment with 20% time

That's a very one sided comparison you've said everything bad about working for Apple and everything good about working Google but haven't really compared them.

yusukeaoki
Oct 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
What ever...
I want my A5&A6 iOS6 JB NOW!

KdParker
Oct 19, 2012, 11:01 PM

I think apple was getting of cheap calling this guy a remote intern. He should have held out and worked for them as consultant.

eastercat
Oct 19, 2012, 11:10 PM
Here's your comparison from the other side:

Apple: a high earning fortune 500 company that is doing extremely well
Google: a violator of privacy and enforces the repression of free speech in other countries

Both companies have their good and bad parts. If you're going to act like a troll, you should be less obvious about it.

Personally, I think the kid was busy getting high and hanging out with his friends to prioritize a reply. He's young so he can f--k up. I just hope the lesson learned stays with him.
I mean really, if you've got to choose between:

Saladinos
Oct 19, 2012, 11:53 PM
That's a very one sided comparison you've said everything bad about working for Apple and everything good about working Google but haven't really compared them.

I'm just going by what I know from media reports. I haven't worked at both companies to tell the difference; then again, that's the same info prospective employees will be looking at.

The work environment at Apple seems really tense. The tight security on campus is not fiction. You also wonder about how collaboration and knowledge-sharing can work when people haven't been "disclosed" on things.

Google has a totally opposite ethos, and 20% time is the Hallmark that Google gets creativity. Creativity is vital because it leads to innovation: solving problems in new and better ways.

People can't be confined to specific areas: they have a multitude of diverse talents. People work best and are most creative when they are passionate about what they do; yet so many people just do their jobs to get through the day and collect their cash. I know plenty of people like that, who hate their jobs but just do it without complaining. I also know plenty of people who I would consider to be creative geniuses, whose talents are squandered in jobs where there is little room for creativity.

On the other hand, I also know (fewer) people who have made radical switches once they discovered their passion, and never looked back: for example, one of my close friends is a prize-winning chemist who one day decided to give up her job and become an artist. She's a fantastic artist, and she doesn't miss her high-flying career at all.

My point is that allowing people to try new things and exercise their creative talents is important. The most important thing for creativity is inspiration; that moment when the earth-shattering idea seems to force its way in to your consciousness. It comes from the most random of places; you can't predict it.

As is probably obvious, I'm with Google on this. Multidisciplinary thinking can produce amazingly innovative solutions. Apple's system is the antithesis of that; until a product is released, nobody else knows about it and you can't discuss it with anyone. Everything is extremely disciplined.

Apple obviously have been incredibly innovative in the past, under that same system. The difference then was that they had Steve Jobs, who was an engineer in that he had a good eye for seeing how things could fit together. Oh, and of course you need full disclosure to do that: otherwise its like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle in the dark. I'm not seeking much really exciting innovation from Apple since Steve died, and I'm not surprised. They don't make the best of their employees creativity, from what I can tell.

How's that for a comparison? :)

----------

Here's your comparison from the other side:

Apple: a high earning fortune 500 company that is doing extremely well
Google: a violator of privacy and enforces the repression of free speech in other countries

Both companies have their good and bad parts. If you're going to act like a troll, you should be less obvious about it.

Personally, I think the kid was busy getting high and hanging out with his friends to prioritize a reply. He's young so he can f--k up. I just hope the lesson learned stays with him.

Interesting that your remarks are related to who the company is, not what the work environment is like.

I'm not criticising you (or trolling, for that matter), I just think its interesting.

weckart
Oct 20, 2012, 01:50 AM

And did you also forget to set up email accounts on this 15" Macbook Pro Hi-Res, 2.3 GHz i7 QC, 16GB RAM in your sig?

Cool story, bro.

chimpboy74
Oct 20, 2012, 02:20 AM
Not sure if the company philosophy is still the same but reading Jobs' book they seemed to want to keep good talent and happy to lose anyone not up to scratch.

Seems odd they would offer and then withdraw the offer if he failed to respond. Any company I ever worked for worked really hard to keep people who did a good job (I have personal experience of being courted to stay at a company when I intimated I had another job to go to)

He either was just a 'meh' employee they weren't particularly impressed with (or was just doing 'ok') or the story is hogwash.

macingman
Oct 20, 2012, 04:18 AM
I'm just going by what I know from media reports. I haven't worked at both companies to tell the difference; then again, that's the same info prospective employees will be looking at.

The work environment at Apple seems really tense. The tight security on campus is not fiction. You also wonder about how collaboration and knowledge-sharing can work when people haven't been "disclosed" on things.

Google has a totally opposite ethos, and 20% time is the Hallmark that Google gets creativity. Creativity is vital because it leads to innovation: solving problems in new and better ways.

People can't be confined to specific areas: they have a multitude of diverse talents. People work best and are most creative when they are passionate about what they do; yet so many people just do their jobs to get through the day and collect their cash. I know plenty of people like that, who hate their jobs but just do it without complaining. I also know plenty of people who I would consider to be creative geniuses, whose talents are squandered in jobs where there is little room for creativity.

On the other hand, I also know (fewer) people who have made radical switches once they discovered their passion, and never looked back: for example, one of my close friends is a prize-winning chemist who one day decided to give up her job and become an artist. She's a fantastic artist, and she doesn't miss her high-flying career at all.

My point is that allowing people to try new things and exercise their creative talents is important. The most important thing for creativity is inspiration; that moment when the earth-shattering idea seems to force its way in to your consciousness. It comes from the most random of places; you can't predict it.

As is probably obvious, I'm with Google on this. Multidisciplinary thinking can produce amazingly innovative solutions. Apple's system is the antithesis of that; until a product is released, nobody else knows about it and you can't discuss it with anyone. Everything is extremely disciplined.

Apple obviously have been incredibly innovative in the past, under that same system. The difference then was that they had Steve Jobs, who was an engineer in that he had a good eye for seeing how things could fit together. Oh, and of course you need full disclosure to do that: otherwise its like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle in the dark. I'm not seeking much really exciting innovation from Apple since Steve died, and I'm not surprised. They don't make the best of their employees creativity, from what I can tell.

How's that for a comparison? :)
I'm still not convinced. Again you have completely ignored the benefits of working for Apple and ignored the fact that many Apple employees actually are very passionate about the company. Also the secrecy is really to be expected. If a group of employees are working on a new design then I doubt every employee in the building needs to know what that design looks like.

Also the media likes to paint Apple in a bad light, you never actually know what is going on there until you have been there yourself.

You also have to keep in mind that Steve Jobs left Apple just over a year ago, or only 1 or 2 generations of devices ago. Really not a long time to judge how innovative Apple are going to be in the future. Also if you thought Jobs watched over absolutely every aspect of the company and made all the decisions and was the be all and end all you are wrong.

champ01
Oct 20, 2012, 05:09 AM
So Nichilas says he forgot to read an email.

Apple Makes millions of iPhones but was to lazy to pick up a phone and call him.

If I want someone in my company to work for me and I don't hear from him thru email i call him.

Or this story is BS or Apple thinks way to highly of themselves ans Nichilas is just another number to Apple.

antonis
Oct 20, 2012, 05:22 AM
Or you would expect that someone who expertise in web technologies would check his mails every now and then. At least in order to reply to something that seems to be a standard procedure for the company.

darkcurse
Oct 20, 2012, 06:06 AM
*Snip*
*Snip*

If one were slightly cynical, one might say that the 20% is Google's way of going, "hey really smart people, i know you guys have awesome ideas and to keep you from working on those ideas in your own time thus increasing the chance that you'll spin off into your own startups, we'll give you 20% of your work time to work on your own projects so that it would be Googles IP". Hooray :)

Xenc
Oct 20, 2012, 06:52 AM

Yes they would. That's how contractual work operates.

Battlefield Fan
Oct 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
Stupid Kid

----------

Are you a computer science grad? I'm a very talented Java and iOS developer and have been interested in looking into employment there. I'm not an Ivy Leaguer though; I'm not sure how much emphasis is placed on that.

They're hiring a lot but you'd be surprised at how many people are applying. There were easily 300 students at any given time waiting in line to speak to a recruiter. I'm pretty sure I only received an offer because a friend works for apple already. They only travel to about 10 colleges. You can still check out their employment site and pray.

----------

And did you also forget to set up email accounts on this 15" Macbook Pro Hi-Res, 2.3 GHz i7 QC, 16GB RAM in your sig?

Cool story, bro.

Lol don't be jelly.:rolleyes: As I said I'm pretty sure I only got the offer because because my friend tried pushing my résumé to the hiring managers.

BiteMyApple
Oct 20, 2012, 08:42 AM

Apple Makes millions of iPhones but was to lazy to pick up a phone and call him.

If I want someone in my company to work for me and I don't hear from him thru email i call him.

Or this story is BS or Apple thinks way to highly of themselves ans Nichilas is just another number to Apple.

The guy ain't Steve Forstall. Who's got more to win here, Apple or the intern? You think MNC's give special treatment to people who can't even answer an email? Hello!

Akarin
Oct 20, 2012, 10:43 AM

I don't know how it is where you live but here, it became a standard a few years ago. At least in the tech industry.

Akarin
Oct 20, 2012, 10:54 AM
edited: off topic.

AppleDude
Oct 20, 2012, 12:47 PM
No one, a phone call, with a printed letter via FedEx... get it in writing doesn't mean email.

If a company is wasting time and money, FeExing offer letters, someone should introduce its H/R director to the computer. For the last 15 years, covering three industries (and all large organizations), I have received my offer letter via email.

One company sent it via email and FedEx and I found it quite wasteful. I would have preferred the company invest that time and resource in its workforce or in finding ways to please its customers. Or, give me the $20 saved to print it out myself.

zzLZHzz
Oct 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
he could hack his way back to Apple.
he done it once, he can do it again

padrino121
Oct 20, 2012, 02:19 PM
I'm not in any field that Apple deals with, and I have great respect for anyone talented enough in their field to get hired there. My point was that if I was offered a job at one of the best places to work in the world, I would have been on making sure I'm replying to my email.

Maybe I'm wrong about him being arrogant on second thought. I guess I was trying to say that you can be the smartest and most talented person in the world, but you can't be unmindful, otherwise you'll get the boot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that you should reply to an email offering you a long term job.

Thanks for clarifying, that is a fair reply..

I've been in his shoes myself, albeit without the public notability but like many it's not a conscious arrogance, rather the realization that the teacher/parent relationship is over and as you point out, the ball is in his hands.

With that said his reply showed that he accepted the responsibility for what happened and although said a little tongue in cheek it read like someone that took it in stride with good response given the circumstances.

damitssam
Oct 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
I don't know how it is where you live but here, it became a standard a few years ago. At least in the tech industry.

Dunno about you, they've always called me on the phone and said congratulations blah blah followed by an email with the offer letter.

thefizzle657
Oct 20, 2012, 03:25 PM
Maybe next time Harry Potter will remember to cast a spell that reminds him to respond to important emails.

darster
Oct 20, 2012, 04:23 PM
It was an intern position. I highly doubt he was getting paid much. He could do better on the "outside" hacking the os as he did before. Apple will make a better offer.

cyberddot
Oct 20, 2012, 05:08 PM

Way to keep it relevant.
The slap-fighting, mocking of someone's facial features, and critique of writing styles are always so fascinating.

BOT, like others, I'm not sure how one could ignore providing an immediate response to any company of Apple's calibre looking to continue an internship. Trying to game a company at this level, or to hope they'll up the offer if you take the passive aggressive approach would certainly be a naive move.

For those of you bemoaning the career choice of a single year of internship dooming one to a lifetime of internship? Just hope that you have the opportunity to make that choice. Internships are a great way to 'pay your dues' and get a better chance at permanent hiring. However, commenting that you 'could've been an intern for a longer period, but forgot to respond to the request for an extension' is just as likely to have your resume or application put in the regretfully rejected pile.

Maybe it was a poor choice of words by Allegra, and we certainly aren't aware of all of the details, but at the very least it seems like this might've ended better for Allegra if the story was that he had responded to Apple and had consciously decided to end/continue his internship.

apollo1444
Oct 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Apple are turds! they could've had the greatest security with one of the best working for them

SlCKB0Y
Oct 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
Are you a computer science grad? I'm a very talented Java and iOS developer

Don't forget grounded, modest and self deprecating!!
:p

koban4max
Oct 20, 2012, 06:35 PM
he needs to start jailbreaking.

antwormcity
Oct 21, 2012, 01:08 AM
guy looks like a dbag

Those two guys look quite similar to me.
http://www.energystorageblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/jobs-apple-1.jpg

haha... j/k

The smart asses, (read big nerds). A few are lacking in social skills.

In a documentary on venture capitalism, an investor talks about how these two bright guys looked like they had not showered and washed their clothes for days. He was talking about the two guys in the picture from 1976 above.

And Sir Steve Jobs used to be in a boardroom meeting and keep his feet on the conference table in his very very early days.

Don't look at someone and call them a dbag. ;)

TC25
Oct 21, 2012, 03:03 AM
And Sir Steve Jobs used to be in a boardroom meeting and keep his feet on the conference table in his very very early days.

Don't look at someone and call them a dbag. ;)

Now comex is the next Steve Jobs. :facepalm:

iGrip
Oct 21, 2012, 09:00 AM
Now comex is the next Steve Jobs. :facepalm:

He didn't say that thee guy was the "next Steve Jobs". He said that they share one characteristic, that they lacked social skills.

Here's another shared characteristic: they both have/had crappy looking beards.

Shearwater
Oct 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
REMOTE intern?

Must be the same status as the guy who designed the iPhone5.....:p

clibinarius
Oct 21, 2012, 10:42 AM
So Apple basically offered him next a garbage job and he didn't want it.

I fail to see all the venom for any party. Apple didn't want him too much, and he didn't care for his old job.

bboucher790
Oct 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
With Harry Potter out at Apple, things will definitely take a turn for the worst.

Mal
Oct 21, 2012, 12:31 PM

I fail to see all the venom for any party. Apple didn't want him too much, and he didn't care for his old job.

Where are you getting that Apple didn't offer him a good job? They offered him a job, he didn't accept it in time. That's all we've been told.

jW

jtp098
Oct 21, 2012, 01:11 PM
It was an intern position. I highly doubt he was getting paid much. He could do better on the "outside" hacking the os as he did before. Apple will make a better offer.

Actually Apple is one of the companies that pays interns the most, base salary is around 4,500 a month. Google is about the same.

:D

TC25
Oct 21, 2012, 01:35 PM

Exactly how do you know the job Apple offered him was 'a garbage job'?

Answer: You don't. You have zero knowledge of what the job was.

----------

He didn't say that thee guy was the "next Steve Jobs". He said that they share one characteristic, that they lacked social skills.

Here's another shared characteristic: they both have/had crappy looking beards.
Good to see that antwormcity has a spokesperson.

MacDav
Oct 21, 2012, 02:52 PM
Sorry, no broomstick ...

I'm sure Google has an extra broomstick he can use when he starts working there. :p

charlituna
Oct 21, 2012, 03:14 PM
Seems odd they would offer and then withdraw the offer if he failed to respond. Any company I ever worked for worked really hard to keep people who did a good job

Any company that makes an offer will put a deadline on taking it. They can't keep offers open forever or the jobs would never be filled. Allegra learned an important lesson about working with a corporation with this oops. Better he learn it now when it was just an internship than later when it could be a 'real job'

----------

We don't know the full story. Maybe they did and he just didn't mention that part. The email could have been a follow up to a phone conversation asking if he'd be game to work remotely if they can get it approved. He said sure, they said they would email him if they could get it on board. They did. He didn't reply per the instructions.

Being able to follow instruction is a very important part of many, if not all, jobs. So much so that some companies won't even interview you if you didn't follow instructions. My boss certainly feels that way. Probably because not following instructions can cost thousands an hour on a set or even get someone hurt or killed (if we are doing a practical FX/Stunt shoot). If he posts a job listing and specifically says to email your resume and someone mails it, faxes, drops it off, he puts that person on his **** list. They will never be hired by him. And he's not the only one in our game with such feelings.

----------

Apple are turds! they could've had the greatest security with one of the best working for them

Note that no one has actually created a jailbreak for iOS 6. At least not for the new iPhones. And now they likely have a better understanding of the places jailbreakers look to find exploits.

So it seems they have pretty dang good security on this iOS and might not have much to worry about in the future.

AppleMark
Oct 21, 2012, 05:16 PM
REMOTE intern?

i'd be mad too if i missed that offer letter. this is the type of thing that makes people move to blackhat, china, or possibly samsung.

Think about it.

The guy was essentially a hacker. A good one... that's why they gave him a 'job' in the first place.

It is my guess that Apple hired him "remotely" (not needing/wanting him to relocate or work on campus) probably because they did not want or trust a hacker wandering around Cupertino.

What they probably did want was to drain his brain of anything of security interest on the cheap and without any longterm obligation, hence....(ahem.), Intern.

One reason why he is probably no longer working at Apple is because the above scenario either worked out [for Apple] or did not, whichever way you chose to look at it.

Anyway, are we really calling this guy names etc, merely because he did not get / take up a longer term posting?

Really?

faroZ06
Oct 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
What a **** bag.

That "**** bag" allowed me to get Terminal and a user agent faker on my iPhone. Thanks to him, iOS is pretty much perfect for me.

----------

This guy looks almost exactly like my cousin for some reason. I thought it was him for a moment.

clibinarius
Oct 21, 2012, 10:04 PM
Exactly how do you know the job Apple offered him was 'a garbage job'?

Answer: You don't. You have zero knowledge of what the job was.

If Apple was really interested, they'd have given him obviously more than they gave him. And since when is being an intern a great job?

I mean, seriously, get real. They had to have been given him something he decided wasn't worth his time and effort, and the guy works for free. You do the math.

I'm not replying to you anymore. You're only interested in cheering Apple on with your arguments. This is macrumors, not macfanboy. Some of us want to know what's going on and don't need people telling us how much everything that doesn't give Apple money is insufficient. Comex is very important for my user experience. I'm glad to see him not need an intern job any longer.

Swift
Oct 21, 2012, 10:36 PM
The reason he wasn't happy about staying was, he wants to crack iOS 6, which is a lot harder than all the other versions. I imagine it will fall, and Comex wants the bragging rights.

----------

That "**** bag" allowed me to get Terminal and a user agent faker on my iPhone. Thanks to him, iOS is pretty much perfect for me.

----------

This guy looks almost exactly like my cousin for some reason. I thought it was him for a moment.

What do you want a user agent faker for? Pretend you're another phone?

faroZ06
Oct 21, 2012, 11:30 PM
What do you want a user agent faker for? Pretend you're another phone?

I use it to pretend that I'm a full-on PC so I don't have to deal with every other site shoving their iOS app in my face. There are also some annoying mobile sites, especially my school's mobile site, which doesn't work and doesn't let you switch to the regular site. Also, I think a lot of sites replace their Flash ads with images that can load if it detects a mobile device, which is bad.

I went to a site to look up some scientific fact (forget what it was), and the site immediately redirected me to their app on the App Store. Very annoying.

TC25
Oct 22, 2012, 03:34 AM
If Apple was really interested, they'd have given him obviously more than they gave him. And since when is being an intern a great job?

I mean, seriously, get real. They had to have been given him something he decided wasn't worth his time and effort, and the guy works for free. You do the math.

I'm not replying to you anymore. You're only interested in cheering Apple on with your arguments. This is macrumors, not macfanboy. Some of us want to know what's going on and don't need people telling us how much everything that doesn't give Apple money is insufficient. Comex is very important for my user experience. I'm glad to see him not need an intern job any longer.
As I said, you don't have any information about the offer. You have not even read the information in this thread concerning the agreements he signed that preclude him from working on a jailbreak. You're the one who needs to live in the real world where facts exist, not just your fantasies and irrational Apple anger.

krravi
Oct 22, 2012, 10:24 AM

In this case, it was Apple's loss rather than this guy. Remember for this guy hacking Apple was a good pastime. For Apple, it was crucial to know where its loopholes were.

People with such talents rather tend to be eccentric and not pay much attention to the things others deem important.

Apple needs to have put a geek in charge of this guy rather than some MBA.

iCUP
Oct 22, 2012, 11:39 AM

----------

Your cousin looks like Harry Potter?

faroZ06
Oct 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
Your cousin looks like Harry Potter?

Not as much as this guy does. It's more like this:
Potter ≈ Allegra ≈ cousin
not
Potter ≈ cousin ≈ Allegra
Like 3 and 5 both being close to 4, but 3 and 5 aren't that close to each other.

felt.
Oct 22, 2012, 01:41 PM
Apple had no intention on hiring this kid. This was an excersise in knowledge transfer: how to plug the holes and prevent future jailbreaks. I find it hard to beleive an email is considered a formal means to offer an internship. Something is not right here.

my thoughts as well, if he was smart he didn't reveal all his tricks.

TedM
Oct 22, 2012, 01:51 PM

He totally looks like harry potter!

Mr. Gates
Oct 22, 2012, 06:13 PM
I don't think anyone should expect him to come back to the Jailbreak scene anytime soon.

Probably never.

The kid is moving on

cgk.emu
Oct 22, 2012, 07:53 PM

Alright, Mr. Portland, how about you fill us in on the buzzword of the week?

----------

He totally looks like harry potter!

If you're high and drunk maybe.

TC25
Oct 23, 2012, 09:55 AM
In this case, it was Apple's loss rather than this guy. Remember for this guy hacking Apple was a good pastime. For Apple, it was crucial to know where its loopholes were.

People with such talents rather tend to be eccentric and not pay much attention to the things others deem important.

Apple needs to have put a geek in charge of this guy rather than some MBA.

This thread is hilarious. First people claim to know what job he was offered. Now people claim to know he didn't report to a geek.

krravi
Oct 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
This thread is hilarious. First people claim to know what job he was offered. Now people claim to know he didn't report to a geek.

I don't think anyone knows about his job. Its just that he slacked replying to an e-mail and that didn't sit well with the management. He tweeted this himself as to why he was let go.

And after working many years in such an environment I can see sometimes that management really don't know how to deal with geeks. They are more into protocols rather than how to get the best out of an employee.

It was more of a musing. Well if it's funny, then at the least it was good for a laugh.

Bubba Satori
Oct 23, 2012, 12:06 PM
guy looks like a dbag

You really think dbaggery is determined by looks?
Don't look now but your turnip truck just left.

fa8362
Oct 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
Email job offer? Shouldn't they have called him or met with him?

Gasu E.
Oct 23, 2012, 02:25 PM

That's the problem right there. Apple makes millions of iPhones; therefore it would have taken an incredible effort to locate the precise phone with which to call him.

Thanks for noticing that highly relevant connection between making phones and calling someone, which led me to reach this conclusion. :D

Bill Killer
Oct 29, 2012, 05:17 PM

I don't work in the tech industry, but every formal offer I've ever gotten has at least been accompanied by a phone call.