Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomike

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Just did a chat with Otterbox, and apparently there currently aren't any plans to bring Otterbox products to the iPod Touch 5G. They did say that this could change, and I should keep checking their website, but I think we all know that this almost certainly means they will never make this product.
I was waiting to get an Otterbox - but no longer. I'm finding an alternative tonight.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Otterbox has gone down in quality over the last few years anyway. I think lot of folks have found alternatives that give good protection that aren't as expensive and actually hold up better long term. I've had to replace a few of these on my iPhone 4 because the plastic would crack. The last time I called them, they told me it was something I was doing. I said no its a crappy design, so you can either send me another one or my money back. I'd actually prefer my money back, so the opted to just refund me. Which I ended up getting an Incipio case which has been flawless.

Atomike

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
And yet many others had them ready on launch day - which is okay. I don't own any Otterbox stock. I simply bought another brand like the rest of us who got one near launch. No problems.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
And yet many others had them ready on launch day - which is okay. I don't own any Otterbox stock. I simply bought another brand like the rest of us who got one near launch. No problems.

Realistically most major manufacturers such as Griffin, Speck, Belkin, Incipio, Incase, Spigen and Otterbox, did not have cases or screen protectors ready at lunch. Took at least 30-45 days before we saw anything. Initially all that you could get online were the generic Chinese silicone or gel cases or that infamously ugly vapor one off Amazon.

Not tryna create a problem. Just clarifying what jdpmacav was saying.

Last edited:

Atomike

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
I bought a Griffin case pretty much right at launch date. I think it was available immediately at launch or within a few days at least.
If Griffin can do it, others can too, or so I would imagine.
Anyway, all is good - but all I'm saying is that Otterbox missed almost every single launch sale, and are not in a great position anymore. I think we're all on the same page.

Last edited:

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I bought a Griffin case pretty much right at launch date. I think it was available immediately at launch or within a few days at least.
If Griffin can do it, others can too, or so I would imagine.
Anyway, all is good - but all I'm saying is that Otterbox missed almost every single launch sale, and are not in a great position anymore. I think we're all on the same page.
Griffin didn't have it at launch date. I know because I was on their site regularly. It took a few weeks. But whatever, I understand, they all should have them ready at launch.

NumizNate

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Just curious, I have the new griffin for the 5G iPod touch, and as of now otterbox STILL hasn't released the new iPod case. It says "coming soon" but it's said that for 2-3 weeks at least. Wondering if I should wait for it? I really don't like the bulky design, speaker blockage, dust under screen, no lanyard, etc, on this case, so was waiting for otterbox. Heard otterbox have gotten worse though..? Feedback appreciated!

ZenMoto

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
I got the eMail, saying Otterbox is now accepting preorders on it:

* Want your iPod touch 5g Defender Series case before Christmas? By pre-ordering now and choosing 2-day or next day shipping you'll receive your case for the holidays.

I think I'd rather have the hard polycarbonate plastic on the outside, because it would cushion the device better to have the softer stuff against the iPod, like a helmet. Also ATA flight cases, and Pelican cases work this way. I don't see the utility of having the silicon on the outside, if it's not going to be totally waterproof/submersible. I have the iBlason ArmorBox now, and the silicon on the outside always slipps off, and it's a crazy dust collector. I don't like it. (Okay, it provides some grip, and won't scratch delicate countertops made of balsa wood.)

The rubber on the outside feels prophylactic. It's like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

I guess I'll wait for the Commuter version, unless I can fine something more hardcore with the hardshell on the outside of the cushy liner, like a guitar case.

A "hardshell" case should have a hard exterior. The iBlason ArmorBox and the OtterBox Defender are beefy, backwards, softshell cases. They feel like you put a cheap silicone cover on your big, fat iPhone from 1982.

Last edited:

eznoh

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Got my defender today, looks and feels great! A little difficult to install, ok my wife had to do it! Adds some heft to the unit, with my big hands I almost dropped the touch several time. Also nice having a screen protector built in.

Mike

eznoh

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Got my defender today, looks and feels great! A little difficult to install, ok my wife had to do it! Adds some heft to the unit, with my big hands I almost dropped the touch several time. Also nice having a screen protector built in.

Mike

I returned the Defender, it was too hard to use the home button and the corners of the screen. I'm waiting for the 'Prefix'.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.