PDA

View Full Version : Who really needs a Retina screen? or is it just the new cool thing

whoknows87
Oct 19, 2012, 07:16 PM
There was a lot of hype when the rMBP 15 was introduced and now the same thing is happening with the 13 and I hear talks of people wanting an Air with Retina.... does the average user really needs a Retina screen? is it worth the premium price.... I would think the Retina Models are targeted to a specific select group of users not everyone....

FallenRook
Oct 19, 2012, 07:20 PM
They're for people who like clearer screens and better images. Some people, however, just want people to think of them as rich or cool. It does have some real use though if you are at your computer most of the day or work with images/video a lot.

geek36
Oct 19, 2012, 07:22 PM
i like the retina display because of increased in readability on small fonts.

mohsy90
Oct 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah its cool

TomCat
Oct 19, 2012, 07:33 PM
No one needs it; if we did, how did we get along before 2012?

If you are a graphic designer or a pro photographer...you still don't need it.

But if you have an extra $600 burning a hole in your pocket and your ego is somehow entangled with the computer you carry and the car you drive; if you just want to one-up everyone else, it makes sense to get it, and to endure all of the v1.0 growing pains it implies.

Pioneers get the arrows; settlers end up with the land. I am content to let "Retina" trickle down to other models, and when I am ready to buy again in 2016 it will be a standard feature rather than a waaaaaaaay-overpriced option that really doesn't buy you much.

aeboi
Oct 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
No one needs USB 3.0, but it's nice to have if you're already spending a boatload of cash on an Apple product.

whoknows87
Oct 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
No one needs USB 3.0, but it's nice to have if you're already spending a boatload of cash on an Apple product.

the 3.0 is pretty cool :D

QuarterSwede
Oct 19, 2012, 08:07 PM
Once you're used to a retina screen on an iOS device (especially the iPhone) you notice every display that isn't one.

Mrbobb
Oct 19, 2012, 08:11 PM
If u hadta ask then u don't need it.

I like to go up to the Sydney bridge, but to me only worth $45, no more.

whoknows87
Oct 19, 2012, 08:14 PM
Once you're used to a retina screen on an iOS device (especially the iPhone) you notice every display that isn't one.

really lol I had an iPhone 4 and now the 5 and switched from a MBP to an Air they all look the same to me , but then again i wear glasses :D

darcyjames
Oct 19, 2012, 08:22 PM

If you are a graphic designer or a pro photographer...you still don't need it.

But if you have an extra $600 burning a hole in your pocket and your ego is somehow entangled with the computer you carry and the car you drive; if you just want to one-up everyone else, it makes sense to get it, and to endure all of the v1.0 growing pains it implies.

Pioneers get the arrows; settlers end up with the land. I am content to let "Retina" trickle down to other models, and when I am ready to buy again in 2016 it will be a standard feature rather than a waaaaaaaay-overpriced option that really doesn't buy you much.

Yeah, I had an "extra $600 burning a whole in my pocket" so I got it and it rocks. Although, after reading the rest of your comment, I realize I'm a serious douche bag. Thanks for the reality check; 2016 will be here before you know it.

NewbieCanada
Oct 19, 2012, 08:28 PM

We got along using lower res screens - that we didn't need because if we did, how did we get along before 2006?

Well, we got along using even lower res screens on PowerPC Macs - that we didn't need because if we did, how did we get along before 1992?

Well, we got along using earlier Macs. And before that, Apple ][s.

And before that we got along just fine without computers at all.

We've also gotten along without antibiotics, chemotherapy and heart bypass operations. We got along without HDTV, stereo TV, colour TV and TV at all. We got along without DTS movies, Dolby Digital, Dolby Stereo, Panavision, colour movies, talkies, and movies at all.

We got along without indoor plumbing. Without toilet paper. Without outhouses. Without heat. Without electricity. Without telephone or telegraph. Without gas lighting. Without candles. And even, at one point in our history, without the wheel and fire.

Virtually everything we take for granted today and consider indispensable is something we once had to do without - in many cases within the lifetimes of people still alive today.

And you, well you seem to get along quite well without having a valid point to make.

QuarterSwede
Oct 19, 2012, 08:30 PM
really lol I had an iPhone 4 and now the 5 and switched from a MBP to an Air they all look the same to me , but then again i wear glasses :D
I've got 20/10 with my contacts in so I notice it all the time and it drives me nuts! Gotta go retina.

*shakes fist* Damn you Apple for selling me crack!

LeeM
Oct 19, 2012, 08:30 PM
ive got retina on my iphone, and i can see a difference with my ipad 2 but my mbp looks perfectly fine, looks as good as my phone to me

JSalig
Oct 19, 2012, 08:46 PM
It would be great to have but I certainly don't need it. Up until a year ago screen resolution was pretty low on my list of concerns when selecting laptops/desktops. For the privilege of having a retina screen, I'd be willing to pay up to $100 as an upgrade option but no more than that if all else were equal.

I have an ipad 3 and have had an iphone 4 and never once have I compared either of the two to a computer display and found it lacking. Maybe its because I perceive the two as completely different animals. I've played around with color profiles on my MBA and while it might not be retina quality I'm extremely satisfied with the 1440x900 resolution. The text is crisp, the contrast is good and I find that I don't pull out the ipad 3 nearly as much. If there is one thing I envy in a retina notebook it's color accuracy.

OneMike
Oct 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
Retina is not worth to me. When I do serious work its on an attached display. Current display is fine for my non work uses. To each their own.

Jhowland
Oct 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
As was demonstrated to me when I got an iPhone 3G to replace my Motorola backflip eailer this week the screen looks terrible compared to the retina display on my ipod touch. Like when I play with a iPad 3rd generation or retina MacBook Pro for a somewhat extended period of time the screen on my iPad 2 or my family's white MacBook for about half an hour.

tdhurst
Oct 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
It's a cool thing, and a preview of what's to come.

Revolutionary? No.

Evolutionary? Yes.

And the early models are going to cost a bit more.

I can't really argue against them for any other reason than price, because the screens certainly are stellar.

But need it? If you're a visual, digital artist, sure.

mrsir2009
Oct 19, 2012, 11:19 PM

You could argue the same for pretty much anything. We got along before computers. We got along before cars. We got along before electricity. Etc etc etc... It's evolution. No one needs the retina screen in the iPad 3 and the iPhone 4/4S/5, but it's a great improvement over the non retina iPad 2 and iPhone 3GS, is it not? It's become standard now. And it will eventually become standard on computers as well.

Mikey-Mike
Oct 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
Just, it will be when nobody cares anymore.

EthanNixon
Oct 19, 2012, 11:50 PM
I've got 20/10 with my contacts in so I notice it all the time and it drives me nuts! Gotta go retina.

*shakes fist* Damn you Apple for selling me crack!

Just put the display a few more inches away from your face, then it's 'Retina'.

Mikey-Mike
Oct 20, 2012, 12:01 AM
Then it's 'Retina...
-EthanNixon
Ha,Ha,Ha, So true!

12dylan34
Oct 20, 2012, 12:06 AM
As someone who does work with video a lot, I don't really want a retina display at all. It's not going to make my work any better or improve my workflow, so I just don't see a need for it. If I were just using my computer for Facebook and Word documents, yes it would be great to have just because it's beautiful. I appreciate retina on my iPhone, which I just use for Facebook, games and cell phone stuff.

onthecouchagain
Oct 20, 2012, 12:12 AM

Lol. +1

You have a point, too.

darcyjames
Oct 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
Truth is I didn't notice a HUGE difference at first, like with my iPad3rd, I was like "sure its nice, but meh" now EVERYTHING else looks like garbage (my monitor at work is basically a blur). It really is as though every other (non-r) display is now out of focus.

QuarterSwede
Oct 20, 2012, 01:34 AM
Then I can't reach the keyboard. Seriously.

A Hebrew
Oct 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
Then I can't reach the keyboard. Seriously.

(For 60 dollars you can have a BlueTooth Keyboard that works fine!)

pgiguere1
Oct 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
Do you need it? No.
Could you enjoy it? Possibly.

In fact, depending on your work or what you do with your computer, most of us don't need anything but a basic laptop. We could all get heavy plastic laptops with mechanical hard drives that are about as powerful as a MBA, but cost a fraction of the price, and it could still get the job done.

You'd be surprised to see what skillful programmers from emerging countries can come up with programming only from a netbook or and old Pentium 4 computer.

I see some people here hate on rMBP owners and their inflated ego and all. Don't try to justify not owning a rMBP. It's fine if you think it's not worth the money, no need to insult anybody.

The same could be said by the average $500 Windows notebook owner to a MBA owner. You don't need a super thin and light laptop. You don't need your laptop to boot in 15 seconds. You're just owning a MBA for ego blah blah. It's too easy to judge someone based on his purchases.

Just buy what you think reflects your needs, wants, and budget, and respect those who do the same.

wickedking94
Oct 20, 2012, 12:19 PM
I think it goes on a person by person basis. I got an iPod touch 4th gen and after staring at its retina display for hours I would notice the pixels on my MacBook Pro's display. But its not critical for my stuff to have a retina display. I have an iPhone 3GS and I find its display to be just fine for using the web and whatnot. I think if they made the rMBP cheaper, and made it so it wasn't using 75% of the GPU just to run that many pixels, then I would get one. I think they introduced it a but ahead of what mobile graphics cards can do. I'm sure in a few years we will have GPU's fast enough and cheap enough to make it work well enough for everyone to use it.

ZBoater
Oct 20, 2012, 12:22 PM
If the retina display on the 13" MBPr is going to double 1280x800, then you'd have to take a long hard look at whether the "sharper" pixels are really going to make a difference with the 1440x900 MBA display. Right now I am not seeing the reason for existence for a 13" MBPr vs a 13" MBA outside of the screen.

amoda
Oct 21, 2012, 09:23 AM
My background:
Had several 15" models, moved to the 17", then to the 13" Air (gasp!), and I'm not onto the 15" Retina.

I love it. To me, the Retina model combines the light weightiness & thinness of the 13", with the comfortable display of the 15", with the high pixel count of the 17" (I don't use it on retina mode, I have it set on 1920*1200) all in one model.

Moonjumper
Oct 21, 2012, 12:40 PM

Except Retina refers to being able to see pixels at the normal working distance.

I've found using retina screens on iOS has reduced eyestrain massively. So I'd love the same on OS X, but as I use a big screen, I might have to wait a while.

EthanNixon
Oct 21, 2012, 07:55 PM
Except Retina refers to being able to see pixels at the normal working distance.

I've found using retina screens on iOS has reduced eyestrain massively. So I'd love the same on OS X, but as I use a big screen, I might have to wait a while.

'Normal' for one person is not 'normal' for another. So basically, Apple products are for average people. I'm not normal, or average.

I'll stick to my Blackberry, that way I'm always disappointed and have nothing to look forward to...ever.

yanksrock100
Oct 21, 2012, 08:38 PM
Nobody needs it, but it sure is cool to have. Videos, pictures and text especially look great. Looking at a retina screen and non-retina screen side by side, the difference is night and day.

trip1ex
Oct 21, 2012, 08:50 PM
Right now having Retina is too big of a money, battery life, thickness, performance and/or longer charging tradeoff. Similar deal with the iPad retina.

I'll wait another generation or two until they better get these tradeoffs under control.

But who doesn't want Retina? I've seen the benefits. On the Ipad it means being able to clearly read a webpage in portrait mode which is straining to do on the Ipad 2 without zooming.

I see the benefit. But waiting for the next cpu on the Ipad.

On the MBP the premium is too great. Also sounds like performance in some cases can not be as smooth as before.

And don't forget generation 1 of these things. I'll let them perfect it before I buy in.

barbz41086
Oct 22, 2012, 01:45 AM
Apple needs it. innovations to stay infront of the game.

Without these features, worth it or not, they are just a notebook or a ultrabook and wont turn heads of those who are not familiar with MacOs. The name retina to describe a resolution is marketing gold. Most of the people i know, think retina is a whole new screen, Plasma > LCD > LED > Retina!

Moonjumper
Oct 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
Apple needs it. innovations to stay infront of the game.

Without these features, worth it or not, they are just a notebook or a ultrabook and wont turn heads of those who are not familiar with MacOs. The name retina to describe a resolution is marketing gold. Most of the people i know, think retina is a whole new screen, Plasma > LCD > LED > Retina!

Apple don't seem to have a problem turning heads.

stillone
Oct 22, 2012, 09:12 AM
We got along using lower res screens - that we didn't need because if we did, how did we get along before 2006?

Well, we got along using even lower res screens on PowerPC Macs - that we didn't need because if we did, how did we get along before 1992?

Well, we got along using earlier Macs. And before that, Apple ][s.

And before that we got along just fine without computers at all.

We've also gotten along without antibiotics, chemotherapy and heart bypass operations. We got along without HDTV, stereo TV, colour TV and TV at all. We got along without DTS movies, Dolby Digital, Dolby Stereo, Panavision, colour movies, talkies, and movies at all.

We got along without indoor plumbing. Without toilet paper. Without outhouses. Without heat. Without electricity. Without telephone or telegraph. Without gas lighting. Without candles. And even, at one point in our history, without the wheel and fire.

Virtually everything we take for granted today and consider indispensable is something we once had to do without - in many cases within the lifetimes of people still alive today.

And you, well you seem to get along quite well without having a valid point to make.

Thank you, your post has made my day.

Jim

wilycoder
Oct 22, 2012, 01:17 PM
the retina display:

-increases weight (of the screen)
-increases power consumption
-requires more gpu resources (linked to power consumption)

and all of this in a mobile device to grant us
-better text readability

in my opinion its just not worth it. the 11" air I have looks fine. yes, the retina does look better, but its too big a tradeoff right now.

i would rather see apple use a 120hz display instead of more pixel DPI.

Lara F
Oct 22, 2012, 06:57 PM
Is it needed? Of course not. But I absolutely see the difference coming from the iPad and would love it on the MBA. Unfortunately I'll have to wait for the prices to go down, which is just as well since the laptops will be better equipped to handle it in the coming years. But in my eyes, it's genuine progress and far from some cool gimmick.

Yr Blues
Oct 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
I'd like an 11.6" retina without the wedge shape. The Pro models look nicer.

Also, make the bezel black.

tdhurst
Oct 23, 2012, 06:15 PM
I'd like an 11.6" retina without the wedge shape. The Pro models look nicer.

Also, make the bezel black.

Neither matters when you're using it.

yanksrock100
Oct 30, 2012, 09:42 PM
Retina is nice, but not when it is with an Intel 4000, 128 gigs of ram, for $1700. Same specs as the $1199 Air which is a great computer at a reasonable price. In a few years, Retina will be cheaper and better, and that is when I will consider buying one. For now, I am set on getting the 13 MBA soon.

tredstone
Oct 30, 2012, 10:02 PM
Just run your MBA 13" at 720x540 res with HiDPI turned on. Pseudo-retina with good readability lol ;)

Bollebep
Oct 31, 2012, 10:11 AM
Do you need it? No.
Could you enjoy it? Possibly.

In fact, depending on your work or what you do with your computer, most of us don't need anything but a basic laptop. We could all get heavy plastic laptops with mechanical hard drives that are about as powerful as a MBA, but cost a fraction of the price, and it could still get the job done.

You'd be surprised to see what skillful programmers from emerging countries can come up with programming only from a netbook or and old Pentium 4 computer.

I see some people here hate on rMBP owners and their inflated ego and all. Don't try to justify not owning a rMBP. It's fine if you think it's not worth the money, no need to insult anybody.

The same could be said by the average $500 Windows notebook owner to a MBA owner. You don't need a super thin and light laptop. You don't need your laptop to boot in 15 seconds. You're just owning a MBA for ego blah blah. It's too easy to judge someone based on his purchases.

Just buy what you think reflects your needs, wants, and budget, and respect those who do the same.

I think you are spot on here! I just pulled the trigger on a rmbp 13" (first mac) and I get mixed responses. Some people are actually happy for me, but others just keep telling that I "probably don't know anything about value for money and computers in general".

Well, I have been in the process of selecting my first Macbook for over a year now and this machine suits my requirements. Ofcourse it's a lot of money, there's no denying that. But luckily I am in the position of being able to afford it and I am thankful of that. But please people don't judge me on making a well-thought over decision.

Orderbychaos
Oct 31, 2012, 11:11 AM
I purchased the "retina" iPad and Honestly I can tell a difference. With that being said I am a Computer major and Find myself Looking at tons of different computer screens each day. To me the Difference isn't a Big a Everyone makes it to be. For everyday use I see no instance where a "Retina" Display is Required. Its all personal Preference.

comatose81
Oct 31, 2012, 11:41 AM
I can definitely tell the difference on my iPhone and iPad. For the MacBooks I have a harder time. Maybe if I bought one and used it for a while I would see the difference, but when I play around with one in the store, I don't find myself noticing it quite as much.

I know with the iPad 2 I would notice the pixels quite a bit and was really glad to hear that the iPad 3 would have a retina display. I don't really ever notice pixels on any of my laptops.

I think it's kind of like the iPad - if you have the money to burn, get it. If you don't, you probably won't miss it that much.

Now, on the phone, I don't know how anyone can use a low-res display. The difference is night and day for that device size.

snoop1
Oct 31, 2012, 01:44 PM
i want a spaceship

Beanoir
Oct 31, 2012, 01:54 PM
I would think the Retina Models are targeted to a specific select group of users not everyone....

Mugs?

rbrian
Nov 1, 2012, 04:25 PM
I noticed the difference when I changed from an iPhone 3GS to a 4S, and again from an iPad 1 to an iPad 3. I would buy an 11" Retina Air in a heartbeat if it was available. I've been avoiding the Apple Store since the 15" Retina was released, in case I catch sight of it, and realise that I can't live without it.

For those who, in 5 years time, raise this zombie thread, I haven't mentioned the Retina EyePods because they didn't exist back here in 2012, so I didn't know I couldn't live without them.

iSee
Nov 1, 2012, 05:52 PM

That's an argument against improvement in general.

That makes it a pretty crappy argument.