Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machobson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Hey everyone,
While I might be looking at purchasing a new Mac because mines getting a bit old and I am running out of hard drive space. I would be looking at selling the eMac in my sig. But I was wondering if I wanted to purchase a new eMac, would now be the right time, and how much of a speed difference is there between the eMac 1ghz and 1.42 ghz? Also does the latest eMac support core image? Also I would get the 160 gb hard drive in the new one. Should I look at getting an eMac now or waiting a while for updates. Or should I be looking at an iMac G5? I could definatly use the G5 power. I would also look at a Mac Mini but don't the hard drives max out at 80gb on those? Thanks for your advice.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
The new eMac is definatly worth an upgrade mainly due to its large hard drive and 64mb graphics card, which does indeed support core image,

Also now is a good time to buy a new eMac they were only updated a few months ago and should not be updated again until early-mid 2006, therefore now is definatly a good time to buy,

SHadOW

papersushi

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Put CPU speed difference aside, 1Ghz eMac only has USB 1.1 and uses SDRAM memory. Current model uses USB 2.0 and DDR RAM. Of course the video card is way better on the current model with CoreImage Support.

This is a no brainer, get the current model, unless the 1Ghz one is dirt cheap like the $50 dollars old iBook they were selling in Virginia earlier this month.

Patch^

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2005
Great Britain
well there would be a small difference between the emacs, but if I was in your position i would pay the additional $350(CAN) and get the iMac. You will notice a far better difference in speed and graphics. Plus the iMac takes up less room etc...

machobson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Thanks alot for your replys. I think I might look at a new eMac or a low-end 17 inch iMac G5 on eBay. I would definatly have 1 gig of ram in the machine that I buy.

machobson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
papersushi said:
Put CPU speed difference aside, 1Ghz eMac only has USB 1.1 and uses SDRAM memory. Current model uses USB 2.0 and DDR RAM. Of course the video card is way better on the current model with CoreImage Support.

This is a no brainer, get the current model, unless the 1Ghz one is dirt cheap like the $50 dollars old iBook they were selling in Virginia earlier this month.

I am just curious, what is the advantage of DDR RAM over SDRAM?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
machobson said:
I am just curious, what is the advantage of DDR RAM over SDRAM?

IIRC, the PC100 ram used in your old eMac has a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 800 MB/sec, while PC2700 DDR in the new emac has a theoretical maximum of 2.7 GB/sec.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I would try hard to fork out the extra for an iMac. They come with wireless, better graphics, a much more attractive look, a G5, a slot-load CD drive, a larger HD and it can keep you warm on those cold winter nights ;)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I have to agree with BlizzardBomb, although the eMac's are a good buy i think you would be better off holding out and saving a bit longer until you can afford the base model iMac G5,

SHadOW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.