Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laplace

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Hello all, I have a 4G 20GB iPod with clickwheel, and up until now have used it exclusively for the PC. I am a recent switcher and with my Powerbook arriving here in a couple days, and I would like to know exactly what steps I need to take to convert my iPod from a PC to a Mac.

Also with regards to transferring my iTunes music from my PC to my new Mac. what is the best way to do this? I would assume just burning my whole collection to a DVD-R then transfer them over to my new Mac, right? But if I do this then, doesn't the DVD that I burned them to count as 1 of my 5 burnings or transfers for iTMS purchases? The LAST thing I want to happen is to use up all of my transfers of my purchased songs. What can I do to ensure that this doesn't happen? Also, is there a way to de-authorize my PC computer so that those purchased songs get one of their 5 transfers back?

BTW, I'm not sure if I am using the correct terms for the rights management of the songs, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Thanks in advance,
Laplace

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
If you leave your ipod PC-formatted, it will work just fine connected to your mac.

you can use your ipod to transfer your tunes over. there are numerous programs available that will do this for free or very cheap. I'm at work right now so I don't remember which one I have...

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
When you transfer your songs by DVD you are transfering the file itself. iTunes doesn't burn DVDs, so you would use XP to burn your iTunes music folder to DVD, then import those songs on your mac.
This way doesn't count as a burn.

Your iPod will cross over without formatting.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
In the same boat

My iTunes library lives on my Dell, as I don't have enough room for it on the iBook, but I have takes selections from it over to the iBook when I have gone on a trip.

I used iTunes on windows to burn a random 4GB selection of music onto a DVD+R in data format and then just imported them into iTunes on the iBook and let it sort thm out.

The downside to this approach is that ratings, playcounts and last played dates to not get transferred over to the mac. This sucks if you use those for smart playlists.

I wonder if this tip http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031222044506360 will work when the source is on Windows.

If so, it might be as simple as sharing the iTunes Library folder on the windows box (or copying it to an external HD or optical media) and copying it over to ~/Music on the mac.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.