Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Hi
I've got a UIImageView that is meant to cycle through 5 images. I do this by calling a method every 0.2 seconds to update it with the new UIImage.

However, I get the flickering effect as shown in the video below. I'm not sure why this is happening, I did think it could be to do with the amount of work and memory required for floats, but since there is only 1 that is meing manipulated I don't think this is the problem.

Hmm, this won't let me embed the video. See it here: http://youtu.be/sLLfQLaXVwQ?hd=1

I basically call the method below and that is enough to keep the images cycling.
Code:
-(void)startCharacterCycle {
    NSLog(@"Called start character cycle.");
    [self performSelector:@selector(actuallyChangeYouCharacter:) withObject:state1ImageYou afterDelay:1*[nsNumberYouCharacterAnimationSpeed floatValue]];
    [self performSelector:@selector(actuallyChangeYouCharacter:) withObject:state2ImageYou afterDelay:2*[nsNumberYouCharacterAnimationSpeed floatValue]];
    [self performSelector:@selector(actuallyChangeYouCharacter:) withObject:state3ImageYou afterDelay:3*[nsNumberYouCharacterAnimationSpeed floatValue]];
    [self performSelector:@selector(actuallyChangeYouCharacter:) withObject:state4ImageYou afterDelay:4*[nsNumberYouCharacterAnimationSpeed floatValue]];
    [self performSelector:@selector(actuallyChangeYouCharacter:) withObject:state5ImageYou afterDelay:5*[nsNumberYouCharacterAnimationSpeed floatValue]];
    [self performSelector:@selector(startCharacterCycle) withObject:nil afterDelay:6*[nsNumberYouCharacterAnimationSpeed floatValue]];
}
Any ideas as to the cause?
Thanks,
Sam

Ides

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
You don't need to make your own methods for switching through images, UIImageView already has those.

Code:
myImageView.animationImages = arrayOfImages; // Your images in an NSArray
myImageView.animationDuration = someTime; // The time it takes to go through images
myImageView.animationRepeatCount = someRepeatCount; // The number of times to repeat the animation
[myImageView startAnimating]; // Start the animations

That's all there is to it!

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Well, way to miss something that was staring me in the face all along! Rather than going through all that complex rubbish, this works just as well (UIImageView's animation funciton):

Code:
NSArray *images = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:
                           [UIImage imageNamed:@"image-01.png"],
                           [UIImage imageNamed:@"image-02.png"],
                           [UIImage imageNamed:@"image-03.png"],
                           [UIImage imageNamed:@"image-04.png"],
                           [UIImage imageNamed:@"image-05.png"], nil];

imageView.animationImages = images;
        imageView.animationRepeatCount = 0;
        imageView.animationDuration = 0.7;
        [imageView startAnimating];

Thanks PhillipusB!

----------

You don't need to make your own methods for switching through images, UIImageView already has those.

Code:
myImageView.animationImages = arrayOfImages; // Your images in an NSArray
myImageView.animationDuration = someTime; // The time it takes to go through images
myImageView.animationRepeatCount = someRepeatCount; // The number of times to repeat the animation
[myImageView startAnimating]; // Start the animations

That's all there is to it!

Thanks as well - I just figured it out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.