PDA

View Full Version : Dual 2.0ghz G5 PM spinning beachball of death

FrozenMacUser
Oct 21, 2012, 08:09 AM
Morning folks,

I just recently purchased a gently used Power Mac G5 dual 2.0ghz first generation and I have been loving my new machine except for one tiny irritant. It seems to run into an intermittent problem with a never ending spinning beachball when waking from sleep sometimes to the point I have to restart the computer. Any idea where I should start looking to diagnose the issue and does it sound like a symptom of anything I should be concerned about? I know others here have had their G5s for awhile and I was hoping to benefit from their experience. For the record I have tried doing some digging myself with google but seem to be getting info that is all over the map and I am not sure where to even begin.

Thanks

justperry
Oct 21, 2012, 08:14 AM
Your G5 seems to have sleep issues, it's not the first time a mac has sleep issues, it is probably related to the OS, could be a bug or just issues which you could resolve by doing some maintenance.

Run repair disk, repair permissions, empty caches, run maintenance(daily, weekly,monthly) scripts and look if you still have the problem.

FrozenMacUser
Oct 21, 2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the timely response. I will give that a try.

justperry
Oct 21, 2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the timely response. I will give that a try.

No worries.

If the above does not work there are still plenty of other thing you can do.

Log into another account, use that for a while, still have issues then it is not user account related.

Or download the latest Combo Updater(you probably run 10.5.8) and update, after this run Software Update, see if this works.

Run Apple Hardware test, if everything is OK it is OS related.

Completely reinstall the OS, but this is the last you should do.

FrozenMacUser
Oct 21, 2012, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately since I got the Mac second hand I do not have the disks that came with including the Apple Hardware Test disk. Is there anyway to get a disk image that I could burn a new one? I have the disk for my old G4 but I seem to remember the Apple Hardware Test disk being pretty machine specific.

California
Oct 21, 2012, 01:19 PM
Unfortunately since I got the Mac second hand I do not have the disks that came with including the Apple Hardware Test disk. Is there anyway to get a disk image that I could burn a new one? I have the disk for my old G4 but I seem to remember the Apple Hardware Test disk being pretty machine specific.

Is this a new or old hard drive in the G5?

If it is an old hard drive, dump it and get a brand new one.

HD's are difficult to diagnose in G5 PM's when they fail. Been there.

DrakkenWar
Oct 21, 2012, 02:01 PM
Justperry is defiantly on the right track. You can accomplish all that was suggested by downloading and running Onyx.

http://mac.majorgeeks.com/files/details/onyx_for_leopard.html

Not only is it free, but an invaluable piece of software that can clean things out and get all back to order on a temperamental mac.:D

Give it a go and see if it helps with the spinning beach balls of death. As a side note, it did wonders on my dual 1.8 G5 I had for a time.:rolleyes:

666sheep
Oct 21, 2012, 02:48 PM
Check system.log in console to see if there are any errors after System Wake event.