PDA

View Full Version : [tablets] What Google will be unveiling at their event at the end of the month.

Frankied22
Oct 21, 2012, 09:49 AM
A 32GB Nexus 7 wifi only and with 3G. Also, a 10" Nexus called Nexus 10, running Key Lime Pie.

Link (http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/10/21/revealed-everything-that-google-will-announce-at-its-android-event-on-october-29/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheNextWeb+%28The+Next+Web+All+Stories%29)

aziatiklover
Oct 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
The next dessert OS!:rolleyes:

ChristianJapan
Oct 21, 2012, 09:57 AM
The next dessert OS!:rolleyes:

Android Tapioka
Or
Android GomaDango :D

Evoken
Oct 21, 2012, 10:20 AM
There is also the new LG Nexus phone. They will probably present the Nexus Q as well and give it a definite launch date.

As far as software goes, I think we'll see Key Lime Pie, focus on it's improvements such as the rumoured multiuser support and better battery management, improvements to Google Now, new version of the Gmail app among other things.

With Apple and Google holding events in the coming days, the end of this month is sure looking exciting. Can't wait to see what both companies have in store for us.

Hellhammer
Oct 21, 2012, 10:22 AM
Next generation Nexus phone is pretty much given since Google has a trend of releasing one every year (just like Apple does with the iPhone)

3bs
Oct 21, 2012, 10:26 AM
I guess 16GB for the LG Nexus will have to do..

Evoken
Oct 21, 2012, 10:47 AM
From The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/21/3533548/google-samsung-nexus-10-android-4-2-rumor#add-comment): Google reportedly set to announce 10-inch high-res Samsung Nexus tablet with Android 4.2

"Google and Samsung will announce a new 10-inch tablet codenamed "Manta" at its October 29th event, according to The Next Web."

I would definitely get this as opposed to the Nexus 7 I am planning to get if it is released this year.

KnightWRX
Oct 21, 2012, 11:19 AM
Android Tapioka
Or
Android GomaDango :D

Tapioka is a long way off, considering we're up to K.

GomaDango is a no go, their G version was called Gingerbread.

ChrisTX
Oct 21, 2012, 11:27 AM
I guess 16GB for the LG Nexus will have to do..

That's a shame though because 16gb is pathetic. On my iPhone alone I have 10gb of Apps, and that's not including music, and other media. 16GB with no expandable memory is clearly not enough.

onthecouchagain
Oct 21, 2012, 11:44 AM
Nexus 10 with higher PPI than the current iPad?

Nexus 7 with 32GB (for $250) and optional 3G?

Nexus 4?

Android 4.2 to build on what's already a superior smartphone OS?

All I can say is...

http://t.qkme.me/3os73l.jpg

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. : ]

3bs
Oct 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
That's a shame though because 16gb is pathetic. On my iPhone alone I have 10gb of Apps, and that's not including music, and other media. 16GB with no expandable memory is clearly not enough.

I completely agree. I like having all my music on my phone locally too so that's about 8GB. I really don't understand why they don't make 2 versions and let us choose so that way they'll satisfy everyone.

paulsalter
Oct 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
I completely agree. I like having all my music on my phone locally too so that's about 8GB. I really don't understand why they don't make 2 versions and let us choose so that way they'll satisfy everyone.

but how far should manufactures go before saying this is big enough

my music is about 55GB so with other things I cant even get it all on my iPod Touch (64GB model), many people have much bigger libraries so 128GB is not enough

3bs
Oct 21, 2012, 12:34 PM

my music is about 55GB so with other things I cant even get it all on my iPod Touch (64GB model), many people have much bigger libraries so 128GB is not enough

As big as possible as long as the prices of storage keep going down and there's enough room inside the phones without making them too thick. I do have a pretty small library but wanting all my music on my phone isn't the main reason I want more storage. 16GB is just too small for these days. I have custom ROMs, nandroid backups, pictures/videos, apps and documents I want on my phone.

I just have't fully embraced keeping all my things in the cloud and I don't want to, not yet, not with the slow data speeds I get.

paulsalter
Oct 21, 2012, 12:41 PM
As big as possible as long as the prices of storage keep going down and there's enough room inside the phones without making them too thick. I do have a pretty small library but wanting all my music on my phone isn't the main reason I want more storage. 16GB is just too small for these days. I have custom ROMs, nandroid backups, pictures/videos, apps and documents I want on my phone.

Depends on your usage, I do agree that more is better and I would have loved the 32GB Nexus 7, but I quite easily keep it down to around 3 to 4 GB free all the time, similar to how I manage my media on my iPod

It all really depends on what you need the device for

For streaming media, reading books, bit of web surfing/emails, a high storage device is not really needed

3bs
Oct 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
Depends on your usage, I do agree that more is better and I would have loved the 32GB Nexus 7, but I quite easily keep it down to around 3 to 4 GB free all the time, similar to how I manage my media on my iPod

It all really depends on what you need the device for

For streaming media, reading books, bit of web surfing/emails, a high storage device is not really needed

I guess I'm a bit of hoarder when it comes to what I have on my devices.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'm only using 9.5 gigs I know I'm in the minority. Keep in mind everyone that this phone may come in a 32GB flavor like last years Nexus. Although that was only on the carrier version.

Vegastouch
Oct 21, 2012, 02:18 PM

If they give an exapndable slot, you can get a 64 GB microcard and put it on there. I dont see why anyone would need 128 GB of music on their phone. I only have 6 GB on mine and never hear some songs if im in random mode and let it go. But, to each their own.

Maybe we should start writing Google and let them know we would like more space on their Nexus line of phones.

ChristianJapan
Oct 21, 2012, 03:57 PM
Android Tapioka
Or
Android GomaDango :DTapioka is a long way off, considering we're up to K.

GomaDango is a no go, their G version was called Gingerbread.

Ok,you got me. Was not thinking too deep; just dumped some favorites in a post.
So by skipping L: one of the next could be "Mandelsulz" but it would be German and therefore not valid one ... I don't like mousse.

But these namegiving is kind of funny: like for Ubuntu or Mac OS
Ah, that's all too much OT; let's see you elsewhere. ;)

Evoken
Oct 21, 2012, 04:12 PM
When it comes to music, I think the best thing to do is to have it all in the cloud as opposed to the phone itself. My iTunes library is 36GB and I have it all available on my Galaxy S3 through Google Play Music (which is possible to use outside the US). I can stream it over the cellular network or via wifi only and can download to the phone those songs that I listen to the most to have them available offline.

This way you don't have your internal device memory eaten up by all your music, which is what usually takes the most space.

zbarvian
Oct 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
Google should announce a homemade smartphone that has the mass appeal of the iPhone 5. Then this would be real interesting.

MacRumorUser
Oct 21, 2012, 04:42 PM

My music library is 192GB, generally I only ever sync 12-14gb of that collection to my phones, nano & tablets.

Don't see the point in carrying it all around tbh, so I only sync the albums I'm listening to the most at the time.

The entire lot is synced to iTunes Match already though..

Back to google,

I think we can rule out multiple nexus phones, just the lG Nexus announcement.

Possible 10" nexus

Sneak preview of next OS

16/32 GB nexus 7 to replace the 8/16 GB versions. Possible 3G version

Tbh I think it's probably going to be pretty unsurprising way they reveal, much like the Apple announcement.

3bs
Oct 21, 2012, 04:49 PM
Tbh I think it's probably going to be pretty unsurprising way they reveal, much like the Apple announcement.

I think you're probably right which is a bit sad but I'm still looking forward to the event.

Vegastouch
Oct 21, 2012, 05:25 PM
When it comes to music, I think the best thing to do is to have it all in the cloud as opposed to the phone itself. My iTunes library is 36GB and I have it all available on my Galaxy S3 through Google Play Music (which is possible to use outside the US). I can stream it over the cellular network or via wifi only and can download to the phone those songs that I listen to the most to have them available offline.

This way you don't have your internal device memory eaten up by all your music, which is what usually takes the most space.

I prefer it on my phone. That way i dont have to stream it and use more data thus saving some money with a smaller data plan. Then again, i just read that T-Mobile is giving true unlimited now so i will have to check that out to see if it is the same price or what the deal is.

I also like it on my phone so i dont have to worry about not being in a weak signal area.

Dmunjal
Oct 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
16/32 GB nexus 7 to replace the 8/16 GB versions. Possible 3G version

I really wish that Google would set the bar to have 3G/4G included in the base price of the tablet instead of the outrageous $129 cost that Apple (and others) charges. The fact is that the feature exists in most SoC chips now so I don't understand why there is an extra charge in the first place.

onthecouchagain
Oct 21, 2012, 09:47 PM
Really wonder what the price of that Nexus 10 will be...

----------

Boy oh boy... Google's soon-to-be lineup could be amazing.

1) Nexus 4 - LG's Nexus smartphone. Starts at $399 unlocked. (Wonder if they'll still offer the Galaxy Nexus at a super low entry price point. Maybe $249 or even $199?)

2) Nexus 5 - Maybe that rumored HTC Nexus device? Probably not as the rumblings of this device have seriously dwindled. But anything's possible...

3) Nexus 7 - Will offer a better value at both price points thanks to doubling the storage sizes. And possibly adding a line of Nexus 7 with 3G capabilities too? Great.

4) Nexus 10 - Higher end tablet to compete with the big boys. The supposed 300 ppi could wow the socks off. How you like 'em retinas, Apple? Heh.

Seriously though... sounds amazing.

http://getandroidstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/LG-and-Sony-Joining-Google-for-Next-Nexus-Devices.jpg

GroundLoop
Oct 21, 2012, 09:47 PM

My wild ass guess.... $500

GL

onthecouchagain
Oct 21, 2012, 09:52 PM

----------

Boy oh boy... Google's soon-to-be lineup could be amazing.

1) Nexus 4 - LG's Nexus smartphone. Starts at $399 unlocked. (Wonder if they'll still offer the Galaxy Nexus at a super low entry price point. Maybe $249 or even $199?)

2) Nexus 5 - Maybe that rumored HTC Nexus device? Probably not as the rumblings of this device have seriously dwindled. But anything's possible...

3) Nexus 7 - Will offer a better value at both price points thanks to doubling the storage sizes. And possibly adding a line of Nexus 7 with 3G capabilities too? Great.

4) Nexus 10 - Higher end tablet to compete with the big boys. The supposed 300 ppi could wow the socks off. How you like 'em retinas, Apple? Heh.

Seriously though... sounds amazing.

Image (http://getandroidstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/LG-and-Sony-Joining-Google-for-Next-Nexus-Devices.jpg)

I swear I wrote my post before I read this article: http://androidandme.com/2012/10/news/multiple-sources-say-google-will-unveil-three-new-nexus-devices-on-october-29th/

It's almost the same thing. : ] Anyway, I'm hella excited for this Google event.

Evoken
Oct 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
Anyway, I'm hella excited for this Google event.

Me too, cannot wait to see what they present. Will definitely get the 10in Nexus tablet. Was going to get the Nexus 7 but the 10 better fits my needs and is more differentiated from my Galaxy S3 as far as size goes and fits nicely between the S3 and my 13" MacBook Pro.

The Nexus Q looked promising too, hope they have reconsidered it, packing more features into it and placing it at a more competitive price.

MacRumorUser
Oct 22, 2012, 12:03 AM
(Wonder if they'll still offer the Galaxy Nexus at a super low entry price point. Maybe $249 or even $199?)

Highly doubtful as it would cripple other manufacturers selling Android handsets. $349 possible but anything less just wishful thinking :)

onthecouchagain
Oct 22, 2012, 12:17 AM
Highly doubtful as it would cripple other manufacturers selling Android handsets. $349 possible but anything less just wishful thinking :)

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they phased it out. But, if they did keep it around, they should def. drop the price. Even now, at $349, that's a bit pricey for aging hardware.

----------

The one thing I'm glad about? There isn't a proliferation of the Nexus line.

I'm glad it's looking like Google isn't offering an Xperia Nexus or a Galaxy Nexus 2 (which turned out to be the Galaxy Premiere).

I always was skeptical whether this would be a good thing for the Nexus line or not. And I'm glad Google is trying to keep it simple and streamlined.

The only thing I could see them adding is a "phablet" Nexus. Maybe that rumored HTC Nexus 5.

But regarding the Nexus 4, I'm glad it's only from one manufacturer. Google's lineup could be amazing. Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10. All your bases are covered.

PDFierro
Oct 22, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they phased it out. But, if they did keep it around, they should def. drop the price. Even now, at $349, that's a bit pricey for aging hardware.

----------

The one thing I'm glad about? There isn't a proliferation of the Nexus line.

I'm glad it's looking like Google isn't offering an Xperia Nexus or a Galaxy Nexus 2 (which turned out to be the Galaxy Premiere).

I always was skeptical whether this would be a good thing for the Nexus line or not. And I'm glad Google is trying to keep it simple and streamlined.

The only thing I could see them adding is a "phablet" Nexus. Maybe that rumored HTC Nexus 5.

But regarding the Nexus 4, I'm glad it's only from one manufacturer. Google's lineup could be amazing. Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10. All your bases are covered.

That makes sense. I still want to believe the multiple Nexus rumor, but it's not looking like that. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do yet (Galaxy Nexus or LG Nexus), guess I will just wait until the 29th.

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 22, 2012, 03:18 PM
Key Lime Pie.

zbarvian
Oct 22, 2012, 03:24 PM
I hope 4.2 actually brings some cool stuff. Android is falling under the same minor-update spell as iOS.

onthecouchagain
Oct 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
I hope 4.2 actually brings some cool stuff. Android is falling under the same minor-update spell as iOS.

Except it doesn't take a year for each one. Again, no fear of "fragmentation" to hold them back.

Here's some of what we might be seeing:

-Huge improvements to Google Now, cards will be different, a card comparing how much you’ve walked across months and a card that pops up when ever you go to a new city, showing all the POI’s and distance to them
-Notifications get further improvements, now you can read entire messages in the notification center
-UI improvements for bigger tablets
-The keyboard will come with something similar to Swype
-Profiles feature is coming for the tablets, not sure about the phone
-Google will introduce ‘Content in the center,’ which will allow users to access -Play Store content from a widget
-Panoramic camera settings will be updated to support both horizontal and vertical movement by default

Also read that the Notification pull down will give you even more access to settings and toggles.

I'm hoping they make Project Butter even more butterier too.

zbarvian
Oct 22, 2012, 04:16 PM
Except it doesn't take a year for each one. Again, no fear of "fragmentation" to hold them back.

Here's some of what we might be seeing:

-Huge improvements to Google Now, cards will be different, a card comparing how much you’ve walked across months and a card that pops up when ever you go to a new city, showing all the POI’s and distance to them
-Notifications get further improvements, now you can read entire messages in the notification center
-UI improvements for bigger tablets
-The keyboard will come with something similar to Swype
-Profiles feature is coming for the tablets, not sure about the phone
-Google will introduce ‘Content in the center,’ which will allow users to access -Play Store content from a widget
-Panoramic camera settings will be updated to support both horizontal and vertical movement by default

Also read that the Notification pull down will give you even more access to settings and toggles.

I'm hoping they make Project Butter even more butterier too.

Yeah, but the last major update to Android was ICS, which was over a year ago. 4.1 and 4.2 are really quite minor. I'm hoping for some big improvements to Project Butter, the Quick Settings pane that was demoed, some UI/UX redesigns, and some more user-friendly features. The Customization Center and Project Roadrunner that turned out to be fake sounded perfect. Android should model iOS in terms of user-friendliness. Just watch the Google keynotes; they're talking to the nerds, not the average consumers.

onthecouchagain
Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
I'd say that was a pretty good keynote by Apple.

Google, you're up.

zbarvian
Oct 23, 2012, 01:48 PM

Google, you're up.

My thoughts exactly.

daveathall
Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 PM

Google, you're up.

Agreed.

onthecouchagain
Oct 23, 2012, 04:22 PM
People seem to be really upset about the value/price of the iPad Mini and 13" Retina. I don't care about the Mini as I was never planning to get it anyway, but the more I think about the 13" Retina, the more of a ripoff it seems.

Evoken
Oct 23, 2012, 05:43 PM

Google, you're up.

Yep it was a good keynote by Apple, can't wait to see what Google has in store for us. Microsoft has their event before Google but I really have never cared about Microsoft and their products/services, don't like them.

Seiga
Oct 24, 2012, 01:23 AM
Key Lime Pie.

You will not see key lime pie for sure.

Android 4.2 still falls under Jelly Bean.

Faux Carnival
Oct 24, 2012, 04:22 AM
Bring it on Google! Loving pure Android greatness.

cynics
Oct 24, 2012, 07:11 AM
You will not see key lime pie for sure.

Android 4.2 still falls under Jelly Bean.

Why would 4.2 be Jelly Bean?

4.0 = Ice cream sandwich
4.1 = Jelly Bean
4.2 = ? (Key Lime Pie)

cynics
Oct 24, 2012, 07:20 AM
I want a 10" Nexus tablet with cellular data. My Xoom is getting a little long in the tooth hardware wise. For the most part software is up to date. However I'd switch from Verizon to AT&T if they offer it just for less carrier delay when it comes to updates.

zbarvian
Oct 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
Why would 4.2 be Jelly Bean?

4.0 = Ice cream sandwich
4.1 = Jelly Bean
4.2 = ? (Key Lime Pie)

There's a bit of evidence indicating 4.2 will still be "Jelly Bean"

Vegastouch
Oct 24, 2012, 08:42 AM
Why would 4.2 be only Bean?

4.0 = Ice cream sandwich
4.1 = Jelly Bean
4.2 = ? (Key Lime Pie)

I believe there is already a 4.2 update for jelly bean

zbarvian
Oct 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
I believe there is already a 4.2 update for jelly bean

No, 4.1.2.

cynics
Oct 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
There's a bit of evidence indicating 4.2 will still be "Jelly Bean"

What's that?

Aside from Honeycomb weren't all "point" versions (ex. 4.x) labeled with different names? I thought I had Android figured out.

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 10:43 AM
What's that?

Aside from Honeycomb weren't all "point" versions (ex. 4.x) labeled with different names? I thought I had Android figured out.

It wouldn't be the first time.

2.0 and 2.1 were both Eclair.

----------

Android Central explains that the back might be a throwback (heh) to the original Nexus live wallpaper.

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/108579/a5-eqeycmae4lzs.jpg-large.jpeg

http://4iphonewallpapers.com/iphone-4-wallpapers/main/2010_12/samsung-nexus-s.png

That... changes everything! :eek: I find the new back more accepting now...

I wonder how the white version will look...

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
The design of the LG Nexus is growing on me. onthecouchagain, are you thinking about upgrading your GN? $399(8GB)/$449(16GB) would be nice.

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
The design of the LG Nexus is growing on me. onthecouchagain, are you thinking about upgrading your GN? $399(8GB)/$449(16GB) would be nice.

I'm waiting for a few things before I jump on board:

1) 32GB version. Will there be one? I hope so.

2) Price drop. Those are already good prices, so this is not a big deal, but I am also in no rush to upgrade as I love my GN. I'm willing to wait a few months to see if a drop happens or if they offer the 32GB at $449 (like what they're doing with the Nexus 7 price/storage shuffle soon).

3) Reviews for the camera. If there's one sore spot of the GN, it's that the camera plain ol' sucks. Unfortunately, early impressions of the Nexus 4 cameras were not that great either (an improvement over the GN, though, of course) so that's a bit disheartening. If the camera isn't significantly better, that makes point #2's price drop all the more relevant to wait for...

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
I'm waiting for a few things before I jump on board:

1) 32GB version. Will there be one? I hope so.

2) Price drop. Those are already good prices, so this is not a big deal, but I am also in no rush to upgrade as I love my GN. I'm willing to wait a few months to see if a drop happens or if they offer the 32GB at $449 (like what they're doing with the Nexus 7 price/storage shuffle soon).

3) Reviews for the camera. If there's one sore spot of the GN, it's that the camera plain ol' sucks. Unfortunately, early impressions of the Nexus 4 cameras were not that great either (an improvement over the GN, though, of course) so that's a bit disheartening. If the camera isn't significantly better, that makes point #2's price drop all the more relevant to wait for...

Make sense. Maybe there will be a 32GB version once Google sees the demand for it, like with the Nexus 7. As long as the camera is an improvement on the GN, that's fine by me. But a phone like this really should have iPhone camera quality.

I thought about buying a GN, but the LG will be an improvement on it in every way. 16GB bothers me a little bit, but not a big deal to me.

ixodes
Oct 24, 2012, 11:18 AM
What Google will be unveiling at their event at the end of the month?

A hot new product lineup...

I've already decided to buy the Nexus 4.

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 11:46 AM
One more angle:

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nexus-4-render-249x650.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/lg-nexus-4-press-650x524.jpg

I'm still a little put off by the chrome, which I think is tacky. I love how seamless the GN looks on the front. The chrome really highlights the frame more than I want. I guess that's nit picking.

I'm accepting the back more and more, especially when viewed as a throwback to the old Nexus live wallpaper.

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 11:52 AM
Yup, the design somehow looks really awesome in those press shots. I'm in.

zbarvian
Oct 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
I can't understand why the AT&T Optimus G is 8mm thin while the Nexus 4 is 9.1mm. They're the same phone!

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 12:21 PM
I can't understand why the AT&T Optimus G is 8mm thin while the Nexus 4 is 9.1mm. They're the same phone!

Valid question.

I noticed the camera lens case doesn't "pop out" as it does on the Optimus G. I like this.

However, I wish it was thinner too. The S3 was large, but comfortable to hold and use because it was so amazingly thin. And when you put it in your pocket, it just disappears. It's a great feeling.

Ultimately, though, I'm living perfectly fine with the GN's thickness, and the Nexus 4 close enough. And no more bump! (Though I sort of like the bump. It makes pulling the device out of your pocket really easy).

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 12:34 PM
Valid question.

I noticed the camera lens case doesn't "pop out" as it does on the Optimus G. I like this.

However, I wish it was thinner too. The S3 was large, but comfortable to hold and use because it was so amazingly thin. And when you put it in your pocket, it just disappears. It's a great feeling.

Ultimately, though, I'm living perfectly fine with the GN's thickness, and the Nexus 4 close enough. And no more bump! (Though I sort of like the bump. It makes pulling the device out of your pocket really easy).

What are you running your GN on? T-Mobile? I really almost bought the GN a few months ago, but held off for the new Nexus. It seems like a fantastic phone, but at least I get a new version.

I was sort of against the LG Nexus before, but I'm really liking it now. Can't wait. This might really be the only Nexus.

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 12:39 PM
What are you running your GN on? T-Mobile? I really almost bought the GN a few months ago, but held off for the new Nexus. It seems like a fantastic phone, but at least I get a new version.

I was sort of against the LG Nexus before, but I'm really liking it now. Can't wait. This might really be the only Nexus.

Tmobile. HSPA+ is a beautiful thing. A perfect compromise of battery life and download speed. Having said that, Tmobile sort of sucks.

It will be the only Nexus smartphone, I'm pretty sure. The only other thing that might pop up is the HTC Nexus 5, but there's been no leaks for a while of that, so even that's unlikely.

The real question, is what will they do with the GN...

3bs
Oct 24, 2012, 12:46 PM
It's interesting that in the renders it just says nexus and there's no sign of Google branding.

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
Tmobile. HSPA+ is a beautiful thing. A perfect compromise of battery life and download speed. Having said that, Tmobile sort of sucks.

It will be the only Nexus smartphone, I'm pretty sure. The only other thing that might pop up is the HTC Nexus 5, but there's been no leaks for a while of that, so even that's unlikely.

The real question, is what will they do with the GN...

Where do you live? I'm on Verizon now with a cheap family plan, but obviously I would have to switch to T-Mobile to get the phone I want. I'm moving across the country soon, but it seems T-Mobile has good coverage there. I expect not as good as Verizon (building penetration, amazing signal no matter where you go, etc.) but not unacceptable either. Still a little hesitant to leave Verizon honestly. I have heard good things about HSPA+.

I think if there was another Nexus coming, we would have heard about it. Would be wise to put it out before the end of the year. Maybe the GN will be priced lower, or maybe it makes more sense for Google to discontinue it.

----------

It's interesting that in the renders it just says nexus and there's no sign of Google branding.

That's how it is on the Nexus 7. I think they want to follow that.

Faux Carnival
Oct 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
Front looks good but that back... Horrendous.

3bs
Oct 24, 2012, 12:53 PM
Where do you live? I'm on Verizon now with a cheap family plan, but obviously I would have to switch to T-Mobile to get the phone I want. I'm moving across the country soon, but it seems T-Mobile has good coverage there. I expect not as good as Verizon (building penetration, amazing signal no matter where you go, etc.) but not unacceptable either. Still a little hesitant to leave Verizon honestly. I have heard good things about HSPA+.

I think if there was another Nexus coming, we would have heard about it. Would be wise to put it out before the end of the year. Maybe the GN will be priced lower, or maybe it makes more sense for Google to discontinue it.

----------

That's how it is on the Nexus 7. I think they want to follow that.

Yeah I know but I just wasn't expecting it since the prototype said "with Google" so I assumed they were planning on just dropping the "with".

3bs
Oct 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
Front looks good but that back... Horrendous.

The back is by far my favourite part! :p

Evoken
Oct 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
I think that one will be able to replace the back like one can with the Galaxy S3, so if you don't like the default one you can get one you like :)

3bs
Oct 24, 2012, 01:06 PM
I think that one will be able to replace the back like one can with the Galaxy S3, so if you don't like the default one you can get one you like :)

I hope you're right. That would mean we can replace the battery which I do with my S3 right now and so I don't have to worry about battery life.

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
The back is love or hate. At first I loved it. Then I hated it. Now, I'm more accepting of it, especially when you consider it's a sort of homage to the original Nexus live wallpaper:

http://www.bestandroidappsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Top-Android-App-Cleaner-Nexus-Live-Wallpaper-Clean.png

----------

Question: why are the front sensors and FCC so far left and right, respectively? :eek:

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/lg-nexus-4-press-650x524.jpg

3bs
Oct 24, 2012, 03:55 PM
The back is love or hate. At first I loved it. Then I hated it. Now, I'm more accepting of it, especially when you consider it's a sort of homage to the original Nexus live wallpaper:

Image (http://www.bestandroidappsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Top-Android-App-Cleaner-Nexus-Live-Wallpaper-Clean.png)

----------

Question: why are the front sensors and FCC so far left and right, respectively? :eek:

Image (http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/lg-nexus-4-press-650x524.jpg)

And where is the LED indicator going to be?

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
And where is the LED indicator going to be?

The notification light is still bottom center.

3bs
Oct 24, 2012, 06:34 PM

I don't know whether it's true or not but commenters on android central are saying there will not be a replaceable battery cover and I think they have a point.

adztaylor
Oct 25, 2012, 05:59 AM
Well the Nexus 4 has shown up on Carphone Warehouse website (UK)

Says only 8GB storage under features.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/LG-NEXUS-4/MONTHLY

Six8
Oct 25, 2012, 07:09 AM
Guess ill have to get the Optimus g or note 2 then. Damn

MacRumorUser
Oct 25, 2012, 07:33 AM
So

we know Nexus 4 (and it's depressing 8GB)
we know JB 4.2
we know Nexus 7 16 & 32GB

Is there going to be 'anything' google surprise us with ? The only thing left is a Nexus 10 and given that everything else has already leaked, it makes me wonder if that will happen as I'd have though we would have had that leaking too.

paulsalter
Oct 25, 2012, 07:42 AM
probably a stupid question

is this mainly a hardware event?

could it be possible that they announce more google services to be available outside the US

Vegastouch
Oct 25, 2012, 08:42 AM
MacRumorUser;1613231

we know Nexus 4 (and it's depressing 8GB)
we know JB 4.2
we know Nexus 7 16 & 32GB

Is there going to be 'anything' google surprise us with ? The only thing left is a Nexus 10 and given that everything else has already leaked, it makes me wonder if that will happen as I'd have though we would have had that leaking too.

N4 is going to have a 16GB version as well. I think i posted a link in this thread. Could be elsewhere but i did post one stating that

MacRumorUser
Oct 25, 2012, 09:11 AM
N4 is going to have a 16GB version as well. I think i posted a link in this thread. Could be elsewhere but i did post one stating that

Hopefully so, that's the only thing that would make sense.

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 09:21 AM
I hope they'll show the white version too at the conference. Very curious to see how that would look.

3bs
Oct 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
I hope they'll show the white version too at the conference. Very curious to see how that would look.

White version? Have Nexus phones ever come in more than one model?

ChazUK
Oct 25, 2012, 10:07 AM
Just got my pre-order confirmation through from CarphoneWarehouse and will be be picking it up in store on launch day. :D

Looks like they've taken it off the site now though. :o

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 10:15 AM
White version? Have Nexus phones ever come in more than one model?

Pretty hideous though:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/01/2012-01-06samsung-galaxy-nexus-white-1325858902.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/white-galaxy-nexus.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/02/galaxynexuswhitelead01.jpg

----------

I have no interest in this, but: http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-10-manual-leaks-show-curvy-tablet-render

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/108579/nexus-10-manual.jpg

daveathall
Oct 25, 2012, 12:10 PM
Just got my pre-order confirmation through from CarphoneWarehouse and will be be picking it up in store on launch day. :D

Looks like they've taken it off the site now though. :o

Was that sim free, and would you mind if I asked the price please? I missed it on the site.

ChazUK
Oct 25, 2012, 12:35 PM
Was that sim free, and would you mind if I asked the price please? I missed it on the site.

It was on contract (o2) at £31 per month. I may be sending it back though as the sim free price is only 389.95 allegedly and I'd prefer it on Three with a Sim only plan at that price.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/25/3552812/nexus-4-pre-order-goes-live-at-carphone-warehouse-confirms-android-4-2
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1624553/inventory.jpg

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
It was on contract (o2) at £31 per month. I may be sending it back though as the sim free price is only 389.95 allegedly and I'd prefer it on Three with a Sim only plan at that price.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/25/3552812/nexus-4-pre-order-goes-live-at-carphone-warehouse-confirms-android-4-2
Image (http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1624553/inventory.jpg)

If you end up keeping it or playing with it first before your return, do post pics and impressions! :)

ChazUK
Oct 25, 2012, 12:44 PM
If you end up keeping it or playing with it first before your return, do post pics and impressions! :)

Will be sure to! :D

I will say, this is not as exciting as it was when I ordered my Nexus One from America and watched it travel through the United States over the Atlantic to the UK. That was fun!

What happens next?

Once stock has arrived at our warehouse, we will despatch your order as soon as possible.

We will email your delivery confirmation once your order has been despatched. You don’t need to do anything.

I await a tracking number.

tekno
Oct 25, 2012, 12:50 PM
A 32GB Nexus 7 wifi only and with 3G. Also, a 10" Nexus called Nexus 10, running Key Lime Pie.

I do love my GS3 and certainly don't regret leaving iOS, but this is the one thing that really needs to be sorted out - just hours after I finally got the Jelly Bean update and I hear they're about the unveil Key Lime Pie!

Scrub175
Oct 25, 2012, 12:58 PM
I do love my GS3 and certainly don't regret leaving iOS, but this is the one thing that really needs to be sorted out - just hours after I finally got the Jelly Bean update and I hear they're about the unveil Key Lime Pie!

Was that an official release or flashed rom release? If not official release then it's really disappointing that their current flagship handset will be two revs behind the latest and greatest OS KLP.

daveathall
Oct 25, 2012, 01:13 PM

Image (http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1624553/inventory.jpg)

Thank you very much.:) Looking forward to first impressions.

3bs
Oct 25, 2012, 01:50 PM
I don't know it's looking like 8GB might be the only size they announce on Monday. This is very disappointing and I don't think I'll be getting it with only 8GB.

tbayrgs
Oct 25, 2012, 02:33 PM

I haven't read anything new today so I may have missed it but I believe the next release likely to be discussed tomorrow is 4.2 which is also considered to be Jelly Bean and just an incremental update, not Key Lime Pie. In fact, didn't the CarphoneWarehouse spec sheet show 4.2 Jelly Bean for the Nexus 4?

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 02:59 PM
I don't know it's looking like 8GB might be the only size they announce on Monday. This is very disappointing and I don't think I'll be getting it with only 8GB.

What makes you say 8GB is the only one?

3bs
Oct 25, 2012, 03:03 PM
What makes you say 8GB is the only one?

Why would the Carphone Warehouse only show the 8GB version if a 16GB version existed?

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 03:25 PM
Why would the Carphone Warehouse only show the 8GB version if a 16GB version existed?

Fair question.

Wasn't the page pulled down? Could be the page wasn't completed. I mean, there was a typo in there that wrote comes with 4.1.2 and another time, comes with 4.2. Could be the 8GB is just the UK version, too?

Could be anything.

Could also just come in 8GB.

3bs
Oct 25, 2012, 03:27 PM
Fair question.

Wasn't the page pulled down? Could be the page wasn't completed. I mean, there was a typo in there that wrote comes with 4.1.2 and another time, comes with 4.2. Could be the 8GB is just the UK version, too?

Could be anything.

Could also just come in 8GB.

Yeah it was pulled down but here's a screenshot http://i.imgur.com/Q96dg.jpg

F123D
Oct 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
Why would AT&T, Verizon, Sprint only show a 16GB version of the Note II on their website when 32 and 64 exist? It's probably best to wait for the official announcement, then freak out afterwards. Like apple products.. lol. :p

3bs
Oct 25, 2012, 03:36 PM
Why would AT&T, Verizon, Sprint only show a 16GB version of the Note II on their website when 32 and 64 exist? It's probably best to wait for the official announcement, then freak out afterwards. Like apple products.. lol. :p

You're probably right :p

Stropaganda
Oct 25, 2012, 03:58 PM
Everything about the Nexus 4 is amazing except for the reported memory. There is only one problem. I'm on Verizon. There is no way this phone is coming to Verizon after the GNex. I'm thinking I will be forced into an HTC Droid DLX or I could jump off the deep end with an HTC Windows Phone 8X.

PDFierro
Oct 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
onthecouchagain, you said T-Mobile kind of sucks. In what ways? Reception?

This phone needs to have at least 16 GB. I can imagine the backlash if it only had 8. I'd really prefer 32, though.

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
onthecouchagain, you said T-Mobile kind of sucks. In what ways? Reception?

Yeah, reception is fairly poor depending on where you are. For example, when you get inside a building (office building, mall, etc.) the reception blows.

I feel bad for all those that are planning to get unlocked iPhones and go to Tmobile. Might be a major mistake. Heh.

----------

Nexus 4

Nexus 7

Nexus 10.

Google's lineup is finally coming into its own. I've always argued they shouldn't make multiple Nexus smartphones (Xperia Nexus, RAZR Nexus, etc.). I'm glad they're not. This lineup can be great. If the Nexus name, branding and line can gain popularity (they've already had a great start with the Nexus 7) it could really be something special, meaning, it can be more than a line for just the tech-geeks.

Vegastouch
Oct 26, 2012, 09:43 AM
Yeah, reception is fairly poor depending on where you are. For example, when you get inside a building (office building, mall, etc.) the reception blows.

I feel bad for all those that are planning to get unlocked iPhones and go to Tmobile. Might be a major mistake. Heh.[COLOR="#808080"]

Been with TMo for nine years. Reception is fine where im at.

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 02:15 PM
Good lord, this is ugly:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Nexus-10-gets-shown-off-in-photos_id35987#2-

An abomination.

PDFierro
Oct 26, 2012, 02:21 PM
Good lord, this is ugly:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Nexus-10-gets-shown-off-in-photos_id35987#2-

An abomination.

That was my thought the moment I saw the photos. I like the Galaxy Nexus design a little bit, but I guess we can be glad Samsung isn't doing the new Nexus.

----------

I feel bad for all those that are planning to get unlocked iPhones and go to Tmobile. Might be a major mistake. Heh.[COLOR="#808080"]

Yeah, I've been doing some research on T-Mobile coverage on the city I'm moving to. I definitely don't expect it to be as good as Verizon, but it should be good enough.

Technarchy
Oct 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
Good lord, this is ugly:

An abomination.

The horror...the horror...

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 03:48 PM
It reminds me of a toilet seat cover dispenser.

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/634222/nexus-10-rear.jpg

http://alamobuildingspecialties.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ToiletSeatCoverDispensers_1242853014.jpg

http://teic-international.com/images/1122553243.jpg

----------

Now that I'm done making fun the Nexus 10, the specs are pretty amazing:

Samsung Exynos 5250
Clocked at 1.7 GHz
Dual-core Cortex-A15
Mali-T604 GPU
2GB RAM
16GB internal storage (other options possible)
10.1-inch Super AMOLED display
2560 x 1600 pixel resolution
298.9 pixels-per-inch
5-megapixel rear-facing camera
LED flash
Front-facing camera
NFC
WiFi
Bluetooth 4.0
Dual speakers located on front of device

Also, 4.2 Quick Settings looks like they could be great:

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/gallery/android4-2-leak/jb5_0.jpg

Wonder what film strip view is about. A pull-out of home screens?

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/gallery/android4-2-leak/jb3_0.png

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/26/samsung-nexus-10-poses-for-massive-photoshoot-shows-off-android-4-2-as-well/

Disclaimer: I have 0% interest in this device.

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
If real, pretty cool. Nexus 4 wireless charging pad. I wonder how big it actually is.

http://androidandme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nexus-4-wireless-charger.jpg

http://androidandme.com/2012/10/smartphones-2/wireless-charging-pad-for-nexus-4-leaks-out/

ChazUK
Oct 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
Wonder what film strip view is about. A pull-out of home screens?

Looks like the pullout gallery view (see the gallery icons and screenshots folder in the top left). :D

The screen res is insane but I don't understand why it's using the 7" tablet UI over the full tablet UI on larger devices today. :confused:

Faux Carnival
Oct 26, 2012, 04:17 PM
I hope Play Store's tablet department takes off with this launch.

PDFierro
Oct 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
If real, pretty cool. Nexus 4 wireless charging pad. I wonder how big it actually is.

Image (http://androidandme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nexus-4-wireless-charger.jpg)

http://androidandme.com/2012/10/smartphones-2/wireless-charging-pad-for-nexus-4-leaks-out/

That looks cool. Another + for this new Nexus.

tbayrgs
Oct 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
The screen res is insane but I don't understand why it's using the 7" tablet UI over the full tablet UI on larger devices today. :confused:

I was thinking the very same thing. I couldn't stand using the 'phablet' UI on my Nexus 7 and installed Paranoid Android specifically because of the control it offers over the UI/app layout. Running the phablet UI on the Nexus 10 is a huge waste. Also, considering how awful some apps look running on the 7", I'd be a bit concerned what they'd look like on this monster.

I agree, the specs are pretty awesome--shame the form factor is so hideous. But hey, slap a case on it and call it a day.

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
I'm really excited about wireless charging. I really hope it takes off. I'd love to just set my device down when I get home and have it be charging anytime it's not being used. Save the wires for traveling.

What Apple said about how wireless charging is useless because the wireless charging device is still connected to a power cord is so asinine.

It would make charging so much more convenient, provided it works well.

(And at the risk of sounding like a broken record yet again: If it was Apple that first really implemented wireless charging, iOS-devotees would be first to praise just how convenient it would make things).

mcman77
Oct 26, 2012, 04:45 PM
Film view looks interesting!

Might be like expose.

(And at the risk of sounding like a broken record yet again: If it was Apple that first really implemented wireless charging, iOS-devotees would be first to praise just how convenient it would make things).

You're right, but I don't see the advantage over docking you're phone. Actually dock offers an advantage over the pad as its at an angle so you can see you're phone.

Wireless charging started out as an interesting concept when you could of put 4-5 devices Around the charger and they charged.

tbayrgs
Oct 26, 2012, 04:47 PM
I'm really excited about wireless charging. I really hope it takes off. I'd love to just set my device down when I get home and have it be charging anytime it's not being used. Save the wires for traveling.

What Apple said about how wireless charging is useless because the wireless charging device is still connected to a power cord is so asinine.

It would make charging so much more convenient, provided it works well.

I also think wireless charging is a pretty cool feature and would be happy to have it in my iPhone but I'm sorry, Apple's really not far off on this one. Either you have your MicroUSB, dock, or lightning cable plugged in to the wall or you have your wireless charger plugged into the wall. Is it really that difficult to plug a cable into your device? Are we really getting that lazy? And I'd also guess the wireless charging station costs more than the cable.

I personally use my iPhone as my alarm clock and like to have it propped upright in a stand--wireless isn't going to make this any easier.

----------

Wireless charging started out as an interesting concept when you could of put 4-5 devices Around the charger and they charged.

^This. Wireless charging would be much more beneficial in this scenario.

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
All fair points but wanting wireless charging by no means that I think plugging in a USB is difficult. It's a bit silly asking "is it that hard to?" Many things provide conveniences to actions that are not "hard."

Definitely see the advantage of the dock but as someone who doesn't use one I'd love a wireless charging pad to plop my phone down while it's on my desk.

viskon
Oct 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
Apple's really not far off on this one. Either you have your MicroUSB, dock, or lightning cable plugged in to the wall or you have your wireless charger plugged into the wall.

I have an HP Touchpad ( best $99 I ever spent ) and also its associated wireless charger, which HP calls Touchstone . The main reason I got the Touchstone was that I was worried about the usb charging connector wearing out.
The beauty of it is that I can just drop the tablet into its slot after using it, no fiddling with wires or connectors. It is always in upright portrait position, so I can have it act as an alarm clock, display photos or display the latest news headlines while it charges.
Point of this post is that Apple's logic is right, but misses the woods for the trees.

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 05:08 PM
Either you have your MicroUSB, dock, or lightning cable plugged in to the wall or you have your wireless charger plugged into the wall.

That's why apple's comment is asinine.

Evoken
Oct 26, 2012, 05:51 PM
Good lord, this is ugly:

An abomination.

Yep, I would have preferred that Asus had made the Nexus 10 too, the Nexus 7 looks far sleeker and high end than this. I love my Galaxy S3 and it's design but frankly when it comes to tablets it seems that Samsung just can't pull it off.

I was interested in the idea of a Nexus 10 but I will be getting the 32GB Nexus 7 instead.

tbayrgs
Oct 26, 2012, 06:06 PM
That's why apple's comment is asinine.

???

Guess I'm not following your logic. Short of viskon's valid concern about wearing out the connector, what's the advantage of wireless charging? What does it do better than wired charging? Yes, I understand it's 'easier' since you don't have to plug anything into the phone but my point is I personally don't see that as enough of a benefit worth re-engineering the phone and apparently, neither does Apple.

UPDATE: Actually, the more I think about it--considering Apples propensity for selling/requiring overpriced accessories, I'm surprised that they haven't including it yet--missing out on a great opportunity to charge $50 for a wireless charger.

Again, I think it's cool tech but until I can put all of my devices on a single pad to charge them simultaneously, it's just that, cool tech.

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 09:04 PM
???

Guess I'm not following your logic. Short of viskon's valid concern about wearing out the connector, what's the advantage of wireless charging? What does it do better than wired charging? Yes, I understand it's 'easier' since you don't have to plug anything into the phone but my point is I personally don't see that as enough of a benefit worth re-engineering the phone and apparently, neither does Apple.

UPDATE: Actually, the more I think about it--considering Apples propensity for selling/requiring overpriced accessories, I'm surprised that they haven't including it yet--missing out on a great opportunity to charge $50 for a wireless charger.

Again, I think it's cool tech but until I can put all of my devices on a single pad to charge them simultaneously, it's just that, cool tech.

That's why I'm hoping wireless charging does take off. It'll be great when wireless charging can be just like location based NFC tags. Where if you're in a room, your phone will be charging, no matter where it is, as long as it's in range. Wouldn't that be neat?

Apple will join the party some day. Did I say join the party? I mean, invent wireless charging. ;)

PDFierro
Oct 26, 2012, 09:37 PM
I like those 4.2 features shown in the Nexus 10 article. Should be just a small improvement on an already great OS, and then a big update next year.

Vegastouch
Oct 26, 2012, 09:42 PM

Never heard of that but Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/latest-lg-nexus-4-leak-provides-minor-new-details) posted an article that says there will be a 16GB version

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 10:02 PM
Never heard of that but Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/latest-lg-nexus-4-leak-provides-minor-new-details) posted an article that says there will be a 16GB version

There was another rumor saying that Google will introduce a 32GB version too later on.

I hope, but aren't expecting them to, that Google will mention something about the 32GB Nexus 4 on Monday.

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 10:52 PM
16GB confirmed by Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/lg-nexus-4-manual-8gb-16gb/

Also "induction coil" for wireless charging.

BTW, still vehemently hate the headphone jack at the top. This position makes zero sense. The wire will hang from the top, then drop down and sometimes across your hand or screen, bending the top, etc. It never made sense for the 4S either. Hated it then too.

At the bottom, it just goes down and out of your way. That makes so much more sense.

Sensamic
Oct 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
Not only it is ugly... it has a super amoled screen too... I hoped it would be IPS.

Don't they understand the average user buys also the iPad because it has a cool design? Our are they afraid Apple could sure them again? Still, they could have come with a better design, like the Microsoft surface.

PDFierro
Oct 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
Great. No 32GB, though. Guess we will have to settle for 16. I'm so used to the headphone jack being on top that I actually like it.

onthecouchagain
Oct 26, 2012, 11:05 PM
I have no doubt the front would take cues from the Galaxy Note 10" which I think doesn't look too bad, but the back... ugh, the back... like I said, it looks like a toiler seat cover dispenser.

I'm sure the real press release and official photos come Monday will paint it in a better light. The main discussion regarding the Nexus 10 will be that screen resolution, which is pretty exciting.

Again, not that I care. I have zero interest in the Nexus 10. Far more interested in the Nexus 4 and JB 4.2.

Explicitic
Oct 27, 2012, 12:35 AM
I wished Google would have teamed up with HTC to create a Nexus version of HTC's J Butterfly. That could have easily been the best phone on the market.
I honestly can't see why they would choose LG.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 01:12 AM
I personally don't trust htc and their batteries.

If I had to make a prediction I'd say Motorola for nexus 2013. But this year, for better or worse, it's lg.

3bs
Oct 27, 2012, 07:30 AM
16GB confirmed by Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/lg-nexus-4-manual-8gb-16gb/

Also "induction coil" for wireless charging.

BTW, still vehemently hate the headphone jack at the top. This position makes zero sense. The wire will hang from the top, then drop down and sometimes across your hand or screen, bending the top, etc. It never made sense for the 4S either. Hated it then too.

At the bottom, it just goes down and out of your way. That makes so much more sense.

I guess I'll probably be getting it then :D

I'd still prefer 32GB but I'll have to settle for 16.

3bs
Oct 27, 2012, 07:31 AM

16GB will have to do then.

Mr Rogers
Oct 27, 2012, 07:42 AM
If Google/Asus would produce a 64G N7 I'd jump at owning one.

Presently we have a iPad 3 and iTouch G4 both at 64G and both are full to the brim with games, photo's and music.

The iTouch is a great little games consul and has done us proud for two years - the iPad 3 has its upside and daughter likes playing with it - at five though, its a bit of a handful for her shall I say - given Apple have blown it as far as the iPad mini is concerned - we all know it should have been 'Retina' with the A5X chip, particularly at the price point they expect to charge - that leaves the N7 as my only option for something sized between the iTouch and iPad.

Basically, if Google upped its storage to 64G and with 3G connectivity, I'd happily pay US$4000 for it - the price of the present high-end iTouch.

Well that's my wish for Monday's media event - seems like a long shot but if Google wish to trump Apple it should be done on storage and price point front.

The Face
Oct 27, 2012, 07:42 AM
I personally don't trust htc and their batteries.

If I had to make a prediction I'd say Motorola for nexus 2013. But this year, for better or worse, it's lg.wouldn't really makes sence in Motorola for Nexus 2013 seeing as Google own Motorola. Google have always let 3rd parties do the Nexus, so I'd say Sony or HTC will get it next year.

Evoken
Oct 27, 2012, 08:05 AM
...HTC will get it next year.

Assuming HTC doesn't goes bankrupt before then. They really need to up their game when it comes to marketing. They make good smartphones but don't seem to know how to market them.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 08:23 AM
Assuming HTC doesn't goes bankrupt before then. They really need to up their game when it comes to marketing. They make good smartphones but don't seem to know how to market them.

I think htc is overrated. :p

Their batteries tend to be way undersized and their insistence on placing the power/sleep button on top of such large devices, such as the htc one x, makes it cumbersome to use.

I'd be fine if they never go back to htc until htc gets their game together.

ChazUK
Oct 27, 2012, 08:48 AM
This makes the N4 look a little nicer:

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/684/nexus-4-render.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/one-more-nexus-4-render-leaked-still-looks-nexus-4

Can't wait to have it in person.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 08:59 AM
This makes the N4 look a little nicer:

Image (http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/684/nexus-4-render.jpg)

http://www.androidcentral.com/one-more-nexus-4-render-leaked-still-looks-nexus-4

Can't wait to have it in person.

You know what kind of sucks? We can't really handle the device without ordering it first.

----------

Why is the bottom bezel so big? What is this, the iPhone? heh...

ChazUK
Oct 27, 2012, 09:01 AM
You know what kind of sucks? We can't really handle the device without ordering it first.

Seeing as CarphoneWarehouse is selling it over here there is plenty of opportunity to give one a try in store (at least here in the UK).

I didn't realize that I've bought all Nexus's online without even trying one out so far now that you've posted this though! :o

zbarvian
Oct 27, 2012, 09:02 AM

----------

Why is the bottom bezel so big? What is this, the iPhone? heh...

There does seem to be a lot of bezel on that phone. I can't get over the back, try as I might.

The Samsung tablet looks premium (metal?!) but I don't want a Super AMOLED display. And it's ugly.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 09:32 AM
There does seem to be a lot of bezel on that phone. I can't get over the back, try as I might.

The Samsung tablet looks premium (metal?!) but I don't want a Super AMOLED display. And it's ugly.

Cool, zb. I think you missed the turn for the iPhone forums back there.

:p

zbarvian
Oct 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
Cool, zb. I think you missed the turn for the iPhone forums back there.

:p

Oh, whoops. Sorry, I saw iOS in the forum title on MacRumors and clicked.

daveathall
Oct 27, 2012, 09:45 AM
Must admit, there does seem to be a lot of top and bottom bezel, a lot similar to the iPhone 5, especially when the apps don't fit.

The Face
Oct 27, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'm really not liking the design of the Nexus 4, too much phone and not enough screen.

3bs
Oct 27, 2012, 10:26 AM
Seeing as CarphoneWarehouse is selling it over here there is plenty of opportunity to give one a try in store (at least here in the UK).

I didn't realize that I've bought all Nexus's online without even trying one out so far now that you've posted this though! :o

I just went into a Carphone Warehouse shop in Dublin and asked when they'd have it :p obviously the sales rep had no idea but she said we usually get them in Ireland at the same time the UK gets them. I was disappointed to find out they don't sell unlocked phones.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 10:44 AM
Oh, whoops. Sorry, I saw iOS in the forum title on MacRumors and clicked.

Just saying nobody is shocked you can't get over the back "try" as you might. :rolleyes:

sneaky butcher
Oct 27, 2012, 10:53 AM
LG nexus has way too much bezel for 2012. its even worse than iphone.

the htc one x is probably the best in this area.

nexus 10 with new exynos 5 will be interesting

zbarvian
Oct 27, 2012, 11:03 AM
Just saying nobody is shocked you can't get over the back "try" as you might. :rolleyes:

It looks super tacky, many agree. I am very intrigued by the Nexus 10, regardless of how much I loathe Samsung. If that thing comes in with a non-Pentile AMOLED (or preferably LCD), has great build quality and materials, and starts at $399 or so, I would look into it.

Vegastouch
Oct 27, 2012, 12:14 PM
16GB will have to do then.

Yeah, ill hope for a 32GB as well so i wont buy it out of the gate. I have 48GB on my GS3 with plenty to spare so 32 would deal ideal but if 16GB is it, then ill be able to suffice i guess. Im not one to need many movies or need to have my whole music library....which right now is only about 5 or 6 GB anyways.

3bs
Oct 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, ill hope for a 32GB as well so i wont buy it out of the gate. I have 48GB on my GS3 with plenty to spare so 32 would deal ideal but if 16GB is it, then ill be able to suffice i guess. Im not one to need many movies or need to have my whole music library....which right now is only about 5 or 6 GB anyways.

I have a 32GB card in my 16GB GS3 too and it's more space than I need but it's always nice having too much space rather than having too little.

I don't think I have the patience to wait and see whether they release a 32GB version of the Nexus 4 so I'll probably be getting it close to release date. Unless they actually tell us when a 32GB version will be available.

----------

Looks like they won't be unveiling anything on Monday. The event was cancelled because of the hurricane.

http://marketingland.com/hurricane-sandy-causes-google-to-cancel-its-android-event-25134

Vegastouch
Oct 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
wouldn't really makes sence in Motorola for Nexus 2013 seeing as Google own Motorola. Google have always let 3rd parties do the Nexus, so I'd say Sony or HTC will get it next year.

If i were Google i wouldnt use Sony. They dont sell well at all so id stick to those that do. So the next one id think would be HTC or Samsung again. I hope for HTC as well.

----------

I think htc is overrated. :p

Their batteries tend to be way undersized and their insistence on placing the power/sleep button on top of such large devices, such as the htc one x, makes it cumbersome to use.

I'd be fine if they never go back to htc until htc gets their game together.

I just dont see the big deal with the power/sleep button on the top. Doesnt faze me at all n that regard. As for the batteries, arent the newer phones getting good size batteries? Seems so.

3bs
Oct 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
If i were Google i wouldnt use Sony. They dont sell well at all so id stick to those that do. So the next one id think would be HTC or Samsung again. I hope for HTC as well.

----------

I just dont see the big deal with the power/sleep button on the top. Doesnt faze me at all n that regard. As for the batteries, arent the newer phones getting good size batteries? Seems so.

The J Butterfly has a 2020 mAh battery and that's a 5" phone. Compare that to the Note 2500 and Note 2 3100 mAh.

Vegastouch
Oct 27, 2012, 12:38 PM
I have a 32GB card in my 16GB GS3 too and it's more space than I need but it's always nice having too much space rather than having too little.

I don't think I have the patience to wait and see whether they release a 32GB version of the Nexus 4 so I'll probably be getting it close to release date. Unless they actually tell us when a 32GB version will be available.

----------

Looks like they won't be unveiling anything on Monday. The event was cancelled because of the hurricane.

http://marketingland.com/hurricane-sandy-causes-google-to-cancel-its-android-event-25134

Im pretty patient in that regard. I still dont have a tablet :p and i do have my GS3 which is fine......and my PC is about 6 years old so im ready to get a Windows 8 PC or laptop at some point next year.

So many new things coming out. Ill also being looking at the New Windows 8 phones.

----------

The J Butterfly has a 2020 mAh battery and that's a 5" phone. Compare that to the Note 2500 and Note 2 3100 mAh.

I read the new HTC One X+ is a 2100 battery so they upped that one. Thought i read the Butterfly battery was bigger than first thought as well after they tore one apart and saw the battery.

zbarvian
Oct 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
The event is cancelled.

daveathall
Oct 27, 2012, 12:44 PM
Quote;

According to a brief comment sent to MarketingLand, Google has canceled their Monday Playground event due to safety concerns over Hurricane Sandy: "We are canceling our Monday morning event in New York due to Hurricane Sandy. We will let you know our plans as soon as we know.

http://smartgreenrobot.com/news/Google+Cancels+Playground+Event+Due+to+Hurricane+Sandy

http://mashable.com/2012/10/27/hurricane-sandy-google/

Seems fair enough, safety first.

3bs
Oct 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Quote;
According to a brief comment sent to MarketingLand, Google has canceled their Monday Playground event due to safety concerns over Hurricane Sandy: "We are canceling our Monday morning event in New York due to Hurricane Sandy. We will let you know our plans as soon as we know.

http://smartgreenrobot.com/news/Google+Cancels+Playground+Event+Due+to+Hurricane+Sandy

Seems fair enough, safety first.

It would have been fair if they had announced the rescheduled date :(

daveathall
Oct 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
It would have been fair if they had announced the rescheduled date :(

Yeh, I suppose so, probably a bit difficult to reschedule on a weekend and with little notice though.

Tis a shame, I was looking forward to it as well.

Seiga
Oct 27, 2012, 01:11 PM
It's the second time in a row they have rescheduled the nexus announcement. I hope they still announce it in the US.

F123D
Oct 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
I hope they announce something before November 9th when AT&T releases the Note II. My decision is pretty much down to these two phones.

ewils19
Oct 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
That's too bad they're having to cancel the event. I'm hoping to buy a tablet sometime in November and right now its between a Nexus 7 or 10 and one of Nook's new tablets. The Nooks don't come out till November 8 so hopefully Google will be able to have their announcement before then.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 04:30 PM
Probably the next Monday. They delayed it by one week last year too presumably due to Jobs' death (which I really didn't mind. The world needed time to mourn).

charlieegan3
Oct 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
I'm looking forward to this more than I was for the apple event that just passed.

3bs
Oct 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
I'm looking forward to this more than I was for the apple event that just passed.

That's exactly how I feel!

ewils19
Oct 27, 2012, 04:52 PM
That's exactly how I feel!

Same here.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah, ditto. Was really looking forward to Monday's event.

Luckily, we know most of what's going to be announced. I was sure looking forward to more info on that wireless charging dock. If Apple's not going to do it, someone's gotta. ;)

zbarvian
Oct 27, 2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah, ditto. Was really looking forward to Monday's event.

Luckily, we know most of what's going to be announced. I was sure looking forward to more info on that wireless charging dock. If Apple's not going to do it, someone's gotta. ;)

I get that wireless charging would be cool because I just plop my phone on some pad, but I'm not buying it. There must be a reason the technology hasn't taken off. It's slow, generates much heat, inefficient, and really isn't more practical than a wired connection. It's "cool," that's about all it has going for it. Unless it was implemented to the level that Nokia would like, I can't see much utility.

cynics
Oct 27, 2012, 06:17 PM
I get that wireless charging would be cool because I just plop my phone on some pad, but I'm not buying it. There must be a reason the technology hasn't taken off. It's slow, generates much heat, inefficient, and really isn't more practical than a wired connection. It's "cool," that's about all it has going for it. Unless it was implemented to the level that Nokia would like, I can't see much utility.

Speaking from past inductive charging its generally slow and not as efficient as a direct connection. But I know nothing of the current tech being used, just how my tooth brush charges lol.

However that doesn't mean there's no utility. Convenience is the main thing. Plop it down and boom it's charging. Perfect for a nightstand by the bed. Get that midnight call and no worries of wires getting yanked around or holding your head uncomfortably off the bed then when your done throwing it back on the pad. Also becomes a home vase for the phone, "where's my phone?" It's going to be on a 10"x10" section of your home (not an issue for me).

For me this is certainly not a must have. However it is cool and I would use it if my phone had it. I hate chargers and wires that's why I have these all over my house.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/28/3a4eme8a.jpg

120v plug with 2 usb's

Then I ordered 5 iPhone wires. So a pad that I can hide the wire of would be nice.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I don't get why anyone would be against wireless charging per se, or at least not hope to see the tech take off.

Why is it that when Apple pushes new technologies, even when it's not ready for mass or usual consumption (like SIRI, Thunderbolt connector...) they're heralded as pushing the frontiers, but if others try, ehhhhh, I'm suddenly skeptical.

Cynics highlights exactly why and how wireless charging can be convenient and useful. Will the Nexus wireless charger change the norm? I don't know. That's why I'm excited to hear about it. I could see it being no better than what's out now, which would be a shame for everyone, not just Android users.

I'm eager to see the technology take off. It doesn't even necessarily have to come from Google. Nokia and Samsung both are trying it out too. We're entering a wireless world. Why can't charging be just as wireless? The whole "it still has to be plugged into something" is ridiculous. So does a computer, yet we're happy to see wireless syncing or wireless updates.

Someone should get this party started.

zbarvian
Oct 27, 2012, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I don't get why anyone would be against wireless charging per se, or at least not hope to see the tech take off.

Why is it that when Apple pushes new technologies, even when it's not ready for mass or usual consumption (like SIRI, Thunderbolt connector...) they're heralded as pushing the frontiers, but if others try, ehhhhh, I'm suddenly skeptical.

Cynics highlights exactly why and how wireless charging can be convenient and useful. Will the Nexus wireless charger change the norm? I don't know. That's why I'm excited to hear about it. I could see it being no better than what's out now, which would be a shame for everyone, not just Android users.

I'm eager to see the technology take off. It doesn't even necessarily have to come from Google. Nokia and Samsung both are trying it out too. We're entering a wireless world. Why can't charging be just as wireless? The whole "it still has to be plugged into something" is ridiculous. So does a computer, yet we're happy to see wireless syncing or wireless updates.

Someone should get this party started.

The technology has been around and from what I can gather, hasn't changed significantly. I'm not advocating against it, I just don't want it.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
The technology has been around and from what I can gather, hasn't changed significantly. I'm not advocating against it, I just don't want it.

Fair enough, but given your post history, why do I get the feeling that if Apple introduced it, you'd suddenly be more open minded... :rolleyes:

Vegastouch
Oct 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
onthecouchagain;161571fair enough, but given your post history, why do I get the feeling that if Apple introduced it, you'd suddenly be more open minded... :rolleyes:

Exactly, vbarvian saying he doesnt want it is funny. Its not something im excited about but i wouldnt say i dont want it. Ill take it, it just isnt a selling point for me but who knows, it could be a great thing thus would be a plus for me.

zbarvian
Oct 27, 2012, 07:17 PM
Fair enough, but given your post history, why do I get the feeling that if Apple introduced it, you'd suddenly be more open minded... :rolleyes:

No that's just your prejudice, I don't worship Apple and its decisions.

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 07:35 PM
You know what's interesting about the storm delaying the event?

Weren't there rumors that the Nexus 7 32GB would go on sale the day after? On Oct 30th? Kind of sucks for those who were eager and ready.

Who knows, maybe the Nexus 4 would've went on sale Oct 30th also.

----------

Nexus 10 video: http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-10-shown-extremely-short-video

All 5 seconds of it.

Rodster
Oct 27, 2012, 07:39 PM
You know what's interesting about the storm delaying the event?

Weren't there rumors that the Nexus 7 32GB would go on sale the day after? On Oct 30th? Kind of sucks for those who were eager and ready.

It's already on sale at officedepot.com :)

Vegastouch
Oct 27, 2012, 07:45 PM
It's already on sale at officedepot.com :)

Says $249 for a 16GB w/ wifi only. Dont have 32GB on there.

ewils19
Oct 27, 2012, 07:46 PM
When I search Nexus 7 on officedepot.com the 32 GB model shows up but when I click on it I get:

"Item 769156, ASUS Google Nexus 7 Tablet 32GB, is not available for purchase at this time.
Shop below for similar products."

Rodster
Oct 27, 2012, 07:50 PM
Says $249 for a 16GB w/ wifi only. Dont have 32GB on there.

Ha, they removed the link, thanks for the update. I guess they must have gotten bombarded with orders. I ordered my 32GB last Thursday. It's on schedule for a Monday delivery.

torana355
Oct 27, 2012, 07:55 PM

If Apple released it you would buy it yesterday and say its the best thing since sliced bread....Like most Apple fans, WHATEVER Apple releases is the "right way to do things".

zbarvian
Oct 27, 2012, 08:00 PM
If Apple released it you would buy it yesterday and say its the best thing since sliced bread....

What an original, accurate statement.

torana355
Oct 27, 2012, 08:14 PM
What an original, accurate statement.

Just saying...

Rodster
Oct 27, 2012, 08:19 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c331/Dennieaa/internet_argument.jpg

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
Did everyone already know that the Nexus seven offers stereo speakers on the back? I didn't know. I always thought that the one speaker grill was mono only.

Edit: God iPad dictation sucks. I had to correct so many things.

Edit 2: This 20 min indepth review from heelsandtech pretty much just sold me on the Nexus 7. I'm going to look for a holiday deal and grab one. 32GBs, of course. http://www.heelsandtech.com/2012/08/10/google-nexus-7-review-user-experience/

Vegastouch
Oct 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
Did everyone already know that the Nexus seven offers stereo speakers on the back? I didn't know. I always thought that the one speaker grill was mono only.

Edit: God iPad dictation sucks. I had to correct so many things.

Edit 2: This 20 min indepth review from heelsandtech pretty much just sold me on the Nexus 7. I'm going to look for a holiday deal and grab one. 32GBs, of course. http://www.heelsandtech.com/2012/08/10/google-nexus-7-review-user-experience/

Is the 32GB version by chance going to have a back camera? I doubt it just wondered if anyone heard anything different.

Rodster
Oct 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
Is the 32GB version by chance going to have a back camera? I doubt it just wondered if anyone heard anything different.

From everything i've read it's just more storage for $249. :)

onthecouchagain
Oct 27, 2012, 09:40 PM

Don't think so.

Personally, I'm okay with that. Helps keep the price down. I can count the number of times I've used my iPad camera on one hand.

Vegastouch
Oct 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
Don't think so.

Personally, I'm okay with that. Helps keep the price down. I can count the number of times I've used my iPad camera on one hand.

Man that is a great price.

Crap...i kinda want a tablet(wouldnt really be interested if not for the cheap price of $249 for a 32GB Nexus 7..maybe ill settle for a 16GB for $199), found a Laptop i want(Levono Yoga Ultrabook touchscreen) with Windows 8 and want a new Desktop and a Nexus 4.

PDFierro
Oct 27, 2012, 10:22 PM
Well, Google has cancelled the event for Monday because of the hurricane out there. I'm not really interested in the Nexus 7. But looks like we will have to wait a little longer for the Nexus 4.

3bs
Oct 27, 2012, 10:22 PM
Man that is a great price.

Crap...i kinda want a tablet(wouldnt really be interested if not for the cheap price of $249 for a 32GB Nexus 7..maybe ill settle for a 16GB for $199), found a Laptop i want(Levono Yoga Ultrabook touchscreen) with Windows 8 and want a new Desktop and a Nexus 4.

Then I say leave the Nexus 7 for last, buy everything else then see if you can afford it. It's nice to have but you definitely don't need it when you have a new desktop/laptop/phone :D

Well, Google has cancelled the event for Monday because of the hurricane out there.

Yeah I've been bummed about that all day.

Sensamic
Oct 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
My options are:

1. I want a new tablet. My iPad 1 is too slow. Nexus 7 and iPad mini are too small. I use my tablet as a laptop replacement for documents and all. The surface is too big I think. Too wide and portrait mode is not practical since its too large. Nexus 10 has super amoled and its made of horrible Samsung plastic. In the end its between the new iPad or the surface. The iPad has a much much better screen. Or maybe a Windows 8 tablet by Asus. The problem is... I hate Windows. I'm so glad I left and went with my iMac. I'm considering it because it would be nice to have a much more capable and powerful mobile OS than iOS.

2. Sell the SGS3 and buy the nexus 4, just because of better software. Or maybe wait for the next nexus. SGS3 is a good phone for now, but the nexus is the next step obviously.

matttye
Oct 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
My options are:

1. I want a new tablet. My iPad 1 is too slow. Nexus 7 and iPad mini are too small. I use my tablet as a laptop replacement for documents and all. The surface is too big I think. Too wide and portrait mode is not practical since its too large. Nexus 10 has super amoled and its made of horrible Samsung plastic. In the end its between the new iPad or the surface. The iPad has a much much better screen. Or maybe a Windows 8 tablet by Asus. The problem is... I hate Windows. I'm so glad I left and went with my iMac. I'm considering it because it would be nice to have a much more capable and powerful mobile OS than iOS.

2. Sell the SGS3 and buy the nexus 4, just because of better software. Or maybe wait for the next nexus. SGS3 is a good phone for now, but the nexus is the next step obviously.

Strongly suggest you try Windows 8 and see what you think; it's seen radical design changes and you might like it now. If not, then get the iPad 4 as it will sync perfectly with your iMac.

Vegastouch
Oct 28, 2012, 07:34 PM
Then I say leave the Nexus 7 for last, buy everything else then see if you can afford it. It's nice to have but you definitely don't need it when you have a new desktop/laptop/phone :D

Yeah I've been bummed about that all day.

I dont really need the phone either. I have a GS3. Just wanted to get a Nexus for plain Android and faster updates if the storage was good enough and then id sell my GS3.

3bs
Oct 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
With the 32GB Nexus 7 going on display in Office Depot stores, I wonder what this means for the Nexus 4.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/28/32gb-nexus-7-goes-on-display-at-office-depot-for-249-16gb-drops-to-199/

onthecouchagain
Oct 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
With the 32GB Nexus 7 going on display in Office Depot stores, I wonder what this means for the Nexus 4.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/28/32gb-nexus-7-goes-on-display-at-office-depot-for-249-16gb-drops-to-199/

Such a good deal.

3bs
Oct 28, 2012, 10:02 PM
Such a good deal.

Yeah I kinda wish I had waited for it.

maccompatible
Oct 28, 2012, 10:31 PM
Looks like the google event has been cancelled...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/27/3563274/google-event-canceled-due-to-hurricane

onthecouchagain
Oct 28, 2012, 10:53 PM
You know what I love?

Apple fanatics are touting that the iPad mini has more actually screen space to use than the competition therefore it's better, but when it comes to the smart phone and people pointing out the benefits of competitors' larger screen device, then no! Suddenly there are all these reasons why a bigger screen is a terrible idea.

Gotta love them. :D

EDIT: At the Apple website, their official iPad Mini video at the 2:10 min mark says specifically that the iPad Mini can be picked up and used with one hand. So one handed use with a 7.9" screen, from apple? A-okay. One hand use with anything in the 4-5.5" screen from the competition? Impossible!

3bs
Oct 28, 2012, 10:57 PM
You know what I love?

Apple fanatics are touting that the iPad mini has more actually screen space to use than the competition therefore it's better, but when it comes to the smart phone and people pointing out the benefits of competitor's larger screen device, then no! Suddenly there are all these reasons why a bigger screen is a terrible idea.

Gotta love them. :D

Well in their defense, people generally use phones one handed and while 7" tablets are small and can be held with one hand, we all know you can't do much on a tablet with one hand.

You definitely can't pull down the notification drawer on the Nexus 7 one handed. I can but that's only because I'm running Paranoid Android and have the tablet UI :p I really don't get why it's not stock on the N7.

onthecouchagain
Oct 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
Well in their defense, people generally use phones one handed and while 7" tablets are small and can be held with one hand, we all know you can't do much on a tablet with one hand.

You definitely can't pull down the notification drawer on the Nexus 7 one handed. I can but that's only because I'm running Paranoid Android and have the tablet UI :p I really don't get why it's not stock on the N7.

Yah I fully expect people to point out that they're two different (and they are) but that defense would hold more water if their "issues" with large screened smartphones held any water. The impossibility of one handed use or the impossibility of fitting into one's pocket is, in most cases, imagined.

onthecouchagain
Oct 28, 2012, 11:18 PM
Another ridiculous thing is in the apple video of the iPad mini they say specifically that the iPad can be picked up and used with one hand. So one handed use with a 7.9" screen, from apple? A-okay. One hand use with anything in the 4-5.5" screen from the competition? Impossible to use!

Watch their official video from the website. The one that starts with Ive talking. (Starts around the 2:10 min mark.)

Vegastouch
Oct 28, 2012, 11:24 PM

Not according to Apple. They said you can use the iPad mini with one hand ....lol

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
Not according to Apple. They said you can use the iPad mini with one hand ....lol

I thought in the video they say you can hold it with one hand. Didn't hear them saying you can use it one handed.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 12:29 AM
I thought in the video they say you can hold it with one hand. Didn't hear them saying you can use it one handed.

Around the 2:10 mark. http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/#video-ipad-mini-features

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 12:35 AM
Around the 2:10 mark. http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/#video-ipad-mini-features

Oh that.

F123D
Oct 29, 2012, 12:39 AM

Good catch. He definitely said you can pick it up and use it with one hand. Lol

marc11
Oct 29, 2012, 01:53 AM
Another ridiculous thing is in the apple video of the iPad mini they say specifically that the iPad can be picked up and used with one hand. So one handed use with a 7.9" screen, from apple? A-okay. One hand use with anything in the 4-5.5" screen from the competition? Impossible to use!

Watch their official video from the website. The one that starts with Ive talking. (Starts around the 2:10 min mark.)

But you know, in typical Apple fashion, if pressed on the issue they would say "well yes, holding the iPad mini while reading or watching video is technically USING IT; and since you can do so with one hand, you are using the device with one hand" They never did say operate the device one handed...lol

F123D
Oct 29, 2012, 02:19 AM
But you know, in typical Apple fashion, if pressed on the issue they would say "well yes, holding the iPad mini while reading or watching video is technically USING IT; and since you can do so with one hand, you are using the device with one hand" They never did say operate the device one handed...lol

Except in the apple promo, the person is swiping with his thumb, one handed, as apple is claiming easy use with one hand. lol

marc11
Oct 29, 2012, 02:56 AM
Except in the apple promo, the person is swiping with his thumb, one handed, as apple is claiming easy use with one hand. lol

LOL, and it turns out Apple found someone with freakishly long thumbs for the ad and has a footnote "Actual thumb size not available to all human beings" alas poor Steve is not here anymore to tell us we cannot use the iPad mini with one hand because we are holding it wrong.

matttye
Oct 29, 2012, 03:00 AM

That is a pretty silly claim from Apple :D You can use any sized device in the way that they're showing. All they're doing is holding the iPad on one side and swiping on that side using their thumb. You can do that with the larger iPad too!

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 09:35 AM
That is a pretty silly claim from Apple :D You can use any sized device in the way that they're showing. All they're doing is holding the iPad on one side and swiping on that side using their thumb. You can do that with the larger iPad too!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29201758.jpg

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 09:40 AM
Image (http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29201758.jpg)

Hahahaha

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
Hands on video of the Nexus 4 over at Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/nexus-4-leaked-on-video/

Quick Settings from the pull down menu looks great. Absolutely great. Honestly, it looks like something Apple would have done with the whole way it flips around like that. Great animation. It'll be great if that Quick Settings menu is configurable too.

Having said that, I now hate the chrome around the device even more. It also looks thick as heck. And I can't believe the fella didn't turn the device around to show the back. Not even a little bit.

Can't wait for 4.2.

Rodster
Oct 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hands on video of the Nexus 4 over at Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/nexus-4-leaked-on-video/

Quick Settings from the pull down menu looks great. Absolutely great. Honestly, it looks like something Apple would have done with the whole way it flips around like that. Great animation. It'll be great if that Quick Settings menu is configurable too.

Having said that, I now hate the chrome around the device even more. It also looks thick as heck. And I can't believe the fella didn't turn the device around to show the back. Not even a little bit.

Can't wait for 4.2.
Sweet looking phone. :cool:

Is 4.2 aka Key Lime Pie or is it a minor update to Jelly Bean? The more I read about 4.2 the more confused I got, lol.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 11:09 AM
Woah.... 5 rows in the App drawer. Wonder if that's by default or if Google now allows you to customize the App drawer...

----------

Sweet looking phone. :cool:

Is 4.2 aka Key Lime Pie or is it a minor update to Jelly Bean? The more I read about 4.2 the more confused I got, lol.

No one is positive, but all signs point to 4.2 still carrying the Jelly Bean moniker. They did this once before with 2.0 and 2.1 both of which were "Eclair."

TG1
Oct 29, 2012, 11:19 AM
Confused here. Does the Nexus 4 phone support LTE?

basesloaded190
Oct 29, 2012, 11:21 AM

Not in the US

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
Availability details get leaked: http://androidandme.com/2012/10/smartphones-2/unlocked-nexus-4-on-sale-november-13th-in-google-play-store/

"sold on November 13th in the Google Play Store. The device is unlocked and GSM/HSPA+ compatible so it will operate on more than 200 network providers worldwide. It will be available in 8 GB and 16 GB versions, but no pricing was announced."

Official announcement from LG/Google:

http://androidandme.com/2012/10/smartphones-2/lg-and-google-announce-the-nexus-4/

4.2 Jelly Bean, it is.

Holy smokes, Engadget reports prices:

" It'll be made available in both 8GB and 16GB versions starting November 13 in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Spain and Australia, with pricing set for $299 (8GB) / $349 (16GB). The 16GB version will also be available through T-Mobile for $199, with a 2-year contract."

That's... awesome.

--------------

Not unlocked from Google Play.

Down the line, carrier-specific versions that are sold with subsidy and through the carrier will. Like the Verizon or Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 11:46 AM
I wonder when it'll be available in other countries. I might actually go up to Belfast to get it unlocked from there.

TG1
Oct 29, 2012, 11:54 AM
I guess the Verizon folks are SOL for the Android flagship?

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 11:54 AM
Everything is official: https://play.google.com/store/devices

And I mean everything! Wow.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Everything is official: https://play.google.com/store/devices

And I mean everything! Wow.

Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.

Awesome. I guess I can't even look at them.

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 12:02 PM

That sucks. Sorry. :(

Try the blogs. Full coverage from Verge.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
That sucks. Sorry. :(

Try the blogs. Full coverage from Verge.

I've been on several sites and basically read everything but it would still be nice to be able to look at the details on Google's website :(

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 12:05 PM
16GB is £279 in the UK, I might just get me a piece of that.

16GB Nexus 7 is £159.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 12:08 PM
16GB is £279 in the UK, I might just get me a piece of that.

16GB Nexus 7 is £159.

Wow. I am definitely getting it at that price! I had €600 saved up just in case :p

Where will it be sold unlocked in the UK? I'm thinking of going up to Belfast to get it.

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 12:12 PM
Wow. I am definitely getting it at that price! I had €600 saved up just in case :p

Where will it be sold unlocked in the UK? I'm thinking of going up to Belfast to get it.

Car phone warehouse might, the other option that I was thinking about is Amazon, I say that because I have never bought from the playstore but trust Amazon.

Edit; PC World might also.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 12:15 PM
Car phone warehouse might, the other option that I was thinking about is Amazon, I say that because I have never bought from the playstore but trust Amazon.

Edit; PC world might also.

I've never bought anything from the Play store either but I wouldn't mind it if it were an option in Ireland. I wonder if I'll be able to get it from Amazon.

PC world sell phones? Didn't think they did, at least not in Ireland.

MacRumorUser
Oct 29, 2012, 12:20 PM
I've never bought anything from the Play store either but I wouldn't mind it if it were an option in Ireland. I wonder if I'll be able to get it from Amazon.

Nah they don't here.

Expansys.ie will probably the only place to get the phone here (unless of course you get it from a carrier).

PC World & Currys and possibly Argos may sell the Nexus 10 though.

daveathall
Oct 29, 2012, 12:23 PM

Thinking about it, I may be wrong, it may be that the one I frequent (Teesside Park in Middlesbrough) have outlets for contract phones, I'll check next time I'm there.

3bs
Oct 29, 2012, 12:38 PM
Nah they don't here.

Expansys.ie will probably the only place to get the phone here (unless of course you get it from a carrier).

PC World & Currys and possibly Argos may sell the Nexus 10 though.

I've been reading bad things about Expansys on boards.ie so I'm a bit weary of getting it from them. Some people are saying they requested proof of address and I plan on having it delivered to college so I obviously won't be able to provide them that if they request it. Looks like I might go up to Belfast or just get it from 3 if they get it.

MacRumorUser
Oct 29, 2012, 12:47 PM
I've been reading bad things about Expansys on boards.ie so I'm a bit weary of getting it from them. Some people are saying they requested proof of address and I plan on having it delivered to college so I obviously won't be able to provide them that if they request it. Looks like I might go up to Belfast or just get it from 3 if they get it.

I've never had them request proof of address and i've bought several items from them.

But if you can pop across the border and it's not too much hassle it may be worth doing :-)

I'll probably wait till I see them for sale on adverts.ie (when folks get them as an upgrade but don't want them) and sell it off, and then try and do a swap / trade.

Lubo
Oct 29, 2012, 12:48 PM
Outstanding price for a Nexus 4 may get one myself.

Oohara
Oct 29, 2012, 12:49 PM

Use a proxy (http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=online+proxy+browser&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&ved=0CE8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fzendproxy.com%2F&ei=PsGOUInBLOin4gT7tYHQAg&usg=AFQjCNHZY6K3SLluTURxlBX2HDeka-96Mg) ^^

My god the Nexus 10 is hideous. Was hoping for something that'd build on the design of the N7 :(

onthecouchagain
Oct 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
So I think for this month: Google event > Apple event > MS event.

MS, who cares. lulz. Jk.

But Google seriously knocked it out of the ball park. A beautiful marriage of affordability, future specs, and great new software (for such a "small" update, 4.2 is amazing).

ChazUK
Oct 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
So I think for this month: Google event > Apple event > MS event.

Google didn't even have an event. *thanks Sandy*....... /GRUMBLES :mad:

I do hope that Sandy goes easy on the east coast though.

Mr Rogers
Oct 29, 2012, 02:31 PM
Well at least Google had the good sense to make sure retailers had stocks of its revamped N7 in stores - this regardless of Hurricane Sandy.

Also, not too much on the front pages of Mac Rumors about the new Nexus models - all they have is crap about Apple selling out its initial batch of iPad Mini's - a ploy Apple has used so often its a joke in marketing circles.

Glad to see Asus and Google have their acts together - not sure about the N10 though, like many others prefer the utilitarian approach of the N7, which in my humble opinion knocks the pants of the iPad mini, particularly its 3G option - if only they'd up the storage to 64G I'd be like a pig in *****.

Still, at least I can max out the storage of my newly acquired Asus Infinity to 256G - who needs a bloody cloud when you can have personal storage and at a price point that beggars belief compared to Cook and the Apple bean counters.