PDA

View Full Version : MBA for 13' rMBP

luqtotheman
Oct 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
With the announcement around the corner is anyone considering getting the 13' retina over the MBA or swapping their recently purchased MBA?

I know it's a big difference if you bought the base model (1199 vs 1699), but what if you beefed up your MBA with 8gb ram or 512 or i7 do you think switch to the MBA would be worth it since it would in a similar price range?

granted we don't know the spec's for the 13' inch retina will be yet..

KylePowers
Oct 21, 2012, 02:34 PM
I really want to sell my 2011 13in MBA and put the money toward a 13in rMBP. But, I don't think I will if it doesn't have a discrete GPU.

My MBA only has 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, so it'd be a step-up for sure. Plus it lacks the HD FaceTime camera and USB 3.0. I'd also loooooveeeee to scale up the res to something higher than 1440x900. That'd be amazing.

But yeah, the discrete GPU thing is making the whole decision a tough one. Not that I don't think the HD4000 could handle a retina display easily (it can), but because it wouldn't be much of a step-up in terms of gaming or other assorted GPU-heavy tasks, something I'm currently somewhat looking for.

luqtotheman
Oct 21, 2012, 02:42 PM
I really want to sell my 2011 13in MBA and put the money toward a 13in rMBP. But, I don't think I will if it doesn't have a discrete GPU.

My MBA only has 4GB of RAM and a 128GB SSD, so it'd be a step-up for sure. Plus it lacks the HD FaceTime camera and USB 3.0. I'd also loooooveeeee to scale up the res to something higher than 1440x900. That'd be amazing.

But yeah, the discrete GPU thing is making the whole decision a tough one. Not that I don't think the HD4000 could handle a retina display easily (it can), but because it wouldn't be much of a step-up in terms of gaming or other assorted GPU-heavy tasks, something I'm currently somewhat looking for.

yeah I just got a 8 gb i7 retina in august so i'm sure they would exchange it if I was getting another apple computer or I could get great resale value but I'm not sold on it yet, considering I love my air. it comes down to is the retina that much better?