PDA

View Full Version : win 7 standalone on mba 11"

muskangul
Oct 21, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have one macbook air 11 inch, core i5,64gb SSD, 2GB,
it is of my friend (I Own macbook pro i7,4gb,750gb)
my friend is not familiar with os x and he needs win7.
I have installed mac os x mountain lion on it, and then installed win 7 via bootcamp.
but I have some problems......
1---Right click on touch pad not works.
2---multi touch on touch pad not work.
3---keyboard backlight is not working
4--- special function on function keys, as brightness +-, Volume mute, +,-, keyboard backlight -+(Keyboard backlight is off) not working
......................-------
Please any one help me....
I have installed drivers downloaded by bootcamp...
5---I have dual boot, have to press option key when starting to boot to mac os x, is there a way air always prompt me to boot on os?
6---it is not stand alone,, it is dual boot is there any way to make win7 stand alone as i want to use all 674 gb for windows ( Now I have 34GB)

Mrbobb
Oct 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
U may want to re-title post to "Full Trackpad functions using Windows."

I don't have Windows installed so I dunno. Recently I asked this Q, and one fellah says yes, just as good, but immediately the other fellah disagree, so apparently "work good" is in the eyes of the beholder. :rolleyes:

Know what though, I run Chrome and Firefox under OSX and their gesture functionality is SUBPAR compared to Safari. Safari's gestures is so naturally smooth. What I am thinking is, Apple is not letting out ALL their secrets to the competitors.

But good luck, hopefully it works out good enuff for ur friend.

kylera
Oct 21, 2012, 11:21 PM
I have one macbook air 11 inch, core i5,64gb SSD, 2GB,
it is of my friend (I Own macbook pro i7,4gb,750gb)
my friend is not familiar with os x and he needs win7.
I have installed mac os x mountain lion on it, and then installed win 7 via bootcamp.
but I have some problems......
1---Right click on touch pad not works.
2---multi touch on touch pad not work.
3---keyboard backlight is not working
4--- special function on function keys, as brightness +-, Volume mute, +,-, keyboard backlight -+(Keyboard backlight is off) not working
......................-------
Please any one help me....
I have installed drivers downloaded by bootcamp...
5---I have dual boot, have to press option key when starting to boot to mac os x, is there a way air always prompt me to boot on os?
6---it is not stand alone,, it is dual boot is there any way to make win7 stand alone as i want to use all 674 gb for windows ( Now I have 34GB)

For issues 1-4, you need to install the Boot Camp drivers so you get near-full functionality. I say near-full because the only multitouch feature I've seen work in Boot Camp is two-finger scrolling.

For number 5, as far as I know, you must always hold option if you want to see the boot choice screen. However, I think a piece of software called rEFIt could help, though I'm not sure since I've never used it.

For number 6, it's not a good idea to use only Windows 7 for the entire SSD. You should keep a small partition for OS X so you can install critical updates.

muskangul
Oct 22, 2012, 12:22 PM
ThaNX ALL FFRIENDS
I dont like to use windows on mac.
I have macbook pro md 314, core i7,750gb,4gb,13.3inch
I am using vmware on my mac to use win7
but my friends whose is macbook air 11 inch he is not familiar to mac and he needs windows, his mac book have only 64gb so he needs only win 7 on it.
plz any one guide me

Orderbychaos
Oct 22, 2012, 05:11 PM
If your friend is so partial to windows that he doesn't want to learn the OS the computer he purchased came with then he might be better off selling or returning the MBA and buying a PC seems like that would be the most simple solution.

thejadedmonkey
Oct 22, 2012, 05:22 PM
#5 - under the bootcamp utilities (or boot under OS X's settings I believe) you can select the startup drive.

Also, I'm pretty sure if you copy the bootcamp drivers to a USB drive, you can then boot the USB Windows installer, delete the OS X partition, install Windows, plug the USB drive with the bootcamp drivers in, install, and you should have ONLY Windows 7, and no OS X.