PDA

View Full Version : macbook air/ipad = OLD news... The new NATION of DOMINATION is the $249 chromebook!

waa1futs
Oct 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
My 4 year old netbook is on its last legs and needs to be replaced.

I want something that has:

- A maximum price tag of $249
- Thin and light: 2.5lbs or less
- ZERO bloatware
- Instant on
- Built-in virus protection
- Automatic updates
- Cloud + local storage
- 6+ hour battery life
- 30 minute recharge time
- 10' screen or greater
- Document editing & uploading
- 1080p video capability
- No slowdown over time like PC's
- Great keyboard & trackpad
- USB 3.0 & HDMI

Macbook air is automatically out of the question and overpriced at $1000 minimum :UGH:

I tried to make an iPad work as a computer replacement with a logitech bluetooth keyboard + bluetooth mouse (via jailbreak) and it didn't work out at all. iPad seems like an overpriced kids toy compared to a work machine.

The samsung chromebook seems to fit this bill perfectly. Not only do you get all of the above benefits, but you also get this in an unbelievable price of $249 :eek:

ntLPcVAyNPE

Anyone else getting a chromebook?

http://m.samsung.com/us/system/news/content/2012/10/18/20296/LUCAS_003_Right-angle_Silver_Large_2.jpg
http://m.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/xe/30/3c/xe303c12a01us/main.jpg
Some good reviews I found:

http://www.zdnet.com/review-the-arm-powered-samsung-chromebook-7000006097/
So, what's so special about this ultra-light laptop that I think it's going to change everything? Easy. It's $249. Take into account the Google Drive, and it's $130.

Think about that. It's a reasonably fast, go anywhere, do anything computer that will cost you less than an iPod. My colleagues have been following this to its logical conclusion. Eric Lai looked at what comes with it and it's pricing and said, "At these prices, what CIO or IT manager wouldn't give the Chromebook a serious look? You'd be crazy not to."

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-chromebook-late-2012-review-20252951/
Its worth noting that it appears the quality of this machine is above that of every tablet we’ve had our hands on thus far – if only because the operating system is made to handle notebook operations.
3Rn2LMPsOfM

http://m.engadget.com/2012/10/18/google-11-6-inch-arm-based-samsung-chromebook-hands-on/
Ultimately, this is a phenomenal device for the price. If you're used to working in the cloud, you're basically getting 80 percent of the entry-level MacBook Air experience for a quarter of the price.
TO6U9qZDbzI

http://gigaom.com/mobile/video-hands-on-with-googles-new-249-chromebook/
At this price, however, Google has a large opportunity for students and general consumers to pick up one of these new Chromebooks. I still believe that a Chromebook isn’t for everyone; I’d never suggest otherwise. For everyday web tasks and basic productivity, however, the device is perfect and attractively priced.
LoK8p1OZDV4

Common naysayer arguments:
1) What about if you don't have an internet connection, then it becomes useless right?

Both macbook air and ipad are just as "useless" without an internet connection as a chromebook.

With a chromebook can use still Google Docs and Gmail offline as well as watch movies stored on your SSD drive or read your kindle books.
2) What about legacy windows applications?

I personally don't need any old windows applications.
3) Why not just spend $100 more and get a real windows PC?

A windows PC at that price is not only $100 more than I want to spend... but it also doesn't have nearly enough of the benefits that a chromebook has.
4) You only have 16gb of local storage!

You have a 16gb ss drive + an SD card reader for additional storage + USB ports to use with an external hard drive.
5) Why would you spend $249 on merely a web browser?

Some people don't have the vision to see what things have the potential to be. You are one of them.

ixodes
Oct 22, 2012, 12:19 AM
For those that accept change, Chromebooks are quiet handy. Now at the low pricepoint they're downright attractive. Light, great keyboard & trackpad, nice display & build quality. Google has done a very nice job.

DingleButt
Oct 22, 2012, 12:19 AM
Are you from Google? You talk like youve either owned one before or are just marketing. Sounds like it will wok well for you. Id rather just keep my real laptop and use my Fire until I get a Surface Pro or something

onthecouchagain
Oct 22, 2012, 12:23 AM
This whole Chromebook thing is still a bit of a mystery to me. What the heck is it? Is it just a laptop that only runs Chrome?

I don't really get it...

darcyjames
Oct 22, 2012, 12:24 AM

Based on the criteria you have set, I guess I agree with you. Although, related to other things, I sometimes ask myself: "is this a choice, or a lack of options?"

Anyways, may I'll try one out for fun, its good that you put it on the radar.

MacRumorUser
Oct 22, 2012, 12:34 AM
This whole Chromebook thing is still a bit of a mystery to me. What the heck is it? Is it just a laptop that only runs Chrome?

I don't really get it...

Yes... And the webapps are not the greatest to be honest.

And with very few offline applications available, it's pretty much redundant as soon as you lose Internet connection. Sorry but the few you can use are lacking themselves. Google docs I find awful.

And yes I've used a chromebook, the limitations are just too much, and no I don't lack vision, its the chromebook that I find lacking.

When Google finally just say, sod this - were going to put Android on this, then get back to me...

Rogifan
Oct 22, 2012, 12:35 AM

I don't really get it...
Basically a $249 netbook that runs a browser and apps like google docs.

Night Spring
Oct 22, 2012, 12:46 AM
Both macbook air and ipad are just as "useless" without an internet connection as a chromebook.

With a chromebook can use still Google Docs and Gmail offline as well as watch movies stored on your SSD drive or read your kindle books.

You can do all that (watch movies, read books, edit documents, read offline mail) on both the Air and iPad without the internet. Not to mention much, much more -- but if you are under the impression that you can't do those things you listed on an Air or an iPad without an internet connection.... Really, have you ever even used a computer? :confused:

MacRumorUser
Oct 22, 2012, 12:50 AM
Really, have you ever even used a computer? :confused:

They've been using a netbook for 4 years..... I think that's telling in itself ;) :p

Night Spring
Oct 22, 2012, 12:54 AM
They've been using a netbook for 4 years..... I think that's telling in itself ;) :p

Hm, missed that detail! :p

Well, yeah, if a netbook did everything they need, then a chromebook could work out for them, too.

waa1futs
Oct 22, 2012, 01:13 AM
Common naysayer arguments:
1) What about if you don't have an internet connection, then it becomes useless right?

With a chromebook can use still Google Docs and Gmail offline as well as watch movies stored on your SSD drive or read your kindle books.You can do all that (watch movies, read books, edit documents, read offline mail) on both the Air and iPad without the internet. Not to mention much, much more -- but if you are under the impression that you can't do those things you listed on an Air or an iPad without an internet connection.... Really, have you ever even used a computer? :confused:

The chromebook can do just as much for me when I am away from an internet connection as the other two devices.

With the chromebook I can edit documents offline, read/respond to email offline, read my books offline, and watch movies stored on the ssd while offline.

Hm, missed that detail! :p

Well, yeah, if a netbook did everything they need, then a chromebook could work out for them, too.

Yeah, my old netbook was used to surf the web, download videos, edit documents, watch youtube, play music through pandora, respond to email, etc but over time it has gotten more and more bogged down with windows updates and patches.

The chromebook seems to do all these things perfectly for me in a macbook air like design with a great $249 price in a machine that won't get bogged down over time.

MacRumorUser
Oct 22, 2012, 01:20 AM
The chromebook can do just as much for me

Which is great. But you use of a machine may vary greatly from others. If a $249 chromebook does what you want it to do, then yes you are one of the few in the niche that the chromebook is tailored for. Congrats.

But it won't kill ultrabooks be they MacBook Air or windows variety as they can do so much more than a chromebook (including the very light things you do).

Lindsford
Oct 22, 2012, 01:33 AM
Looks cool but i'm quite happy with my iPad.

Night Spring
Oct 22, 2012, 01:35 AM
Yeah, my old netbook was used to surf the web, download videos, edit documents, watch youtube, play music through pandora, respond to email, etc but over time it has gotten more and more bogged down with windows updates and patches.

Since you seem to be on a budget, have you considered formatting the hard drive on your netbook (after you backup all your data, of course), and reinstalling windows and all other programs from scratch? This has been known to speed up old systems considerably.

irDigital0l
Oct 22, 2012, 01:41 AM
Chromebook is ok if you dont want to spend like $1000 on a Windows 8 ultrabook.

Although if your tight with just $250...you should probably save it for like food or something...

lol

geek36
Oct 22, 2012, 01:49 AM
nah...

to each have personal preferences.

i don't limit myself on just browsing and using apps just to get a 250-dollar chromebook.

windows platform has more to offer for my needs even at higher prices because there is everything you need. from games to apps to office to browser just to name the few.

would rather spend few hundred bucks just to get what i need and not just wasting money buying cheap devices which i only leave it on the desk after using it for a few times and be done with it.

waa1futs
Oct 22, 2012, 02:52 AM
Edit: added the reviews to the OP

zbarvian
Oct 22, 2012, 02:56 AM
The only redeeming quality about the product is the price. I still don't want it, Chrome OS isn't smart.

flopticalcube
Oct 22, 2012, 03:08 AM
This is the same price territory as some decent Brazos laptops when they are on sale. I don't see the advantages personally. My son's HP dm1 cost only $100 more but is substantially better. Meh.

ChazUK
Oct 22, 2012, 05:37 AM
As an additional light computing device to use alongside my desktop PC the Chromebook has been a fantastic simple computing device.

I will say it is in now way, shape or form a replacement for a laptop/ultrabook with a full on Linux, Windows or Mac OS environment.

Definitely getting one of the ARM powered ones for my daughter. She is always using my Chromebook or the wife's laptop to browse her favourite Flash using sites. :(

towg
Oct 22, 2012, 06:09 AM
I'm a designer who needs to use PS, Flash and Illustrator.

Its therefore utterly useless to me :mad:

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 22, 2012, 06:48 AM
Yay! Google discovers the Netbook category....2 years after it died to the iPad juggernaut.

This thing is DOA.

There are things a tablet will do better. EBooks is just one. Touch screens have opened up a whole new category of apps. This thing lacks the power of even a netbook....and thats a statement I never thought I'd be typing. On a tablet no less.

Once upon a time, there was a similar concept.....it had its fans also, journalists mainly. It ran all the most popular Microsoft programs, embedded in ROM. It even let you connect to the "cloud." Road warriors back then raved about it and proclaimed all the new "laptops" from Toshiba, IBM, etc. were overkill for the work an average person needed to do while away from their desktop. Their arguments sounded almost exactly like the OP's.

Behold this Chromebook of yesteryear.....

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/trs80-100.jpg

http://oldcomputers.net/trs100.html

MonkeySee....
Oct 22, 2012, 07:00 AM
Samsung must have one of those 3D printers.

From some of the more serious reviews I've heard it slows hard when more than a few tabs are open, It just about runs 1080p and the screen res is turd.

ucfgrad93
Oct 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
I'm glad the Chromebook fits your needs, OP, but I doubt it is a practical solution for many people.

wiredup72
Oct 22, 2012, 08:53 AM
If it was 15" and $249, I would buy it now.

Jinzen
Oct 22, 2012, 09:06 AM
Lol it's a netbook. Without Even netbook functionality of Windows.

Fail.

bigjnyc
Oct 22, 2012, 09:54 AM
What an amazing coincidence that this product was priced exactly at your maximum price tag criteria :rolleyes:

It's almost like you tailored your criteria and what you were looking for to this exact product..... but that would be crazy talk.

MonkeySee....
Oct 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
That chromebook is fugly when its closed.

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
That chromebook is fugly when its closed.

It's not THAT bad but do wonder why they didn't go with a hidden hinge design instead.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/assets/common/images/devices/samsung-chromebook/large-3.jpg

The Chromebook 550 looks better.....but it starts at $449.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/assets/common/images/devices/samsung-s550/large-1.jpg

MonkeySee....
Oct 22, 2012, 11:21 AM
It's not THAT bad but do wonder why they didn't go with a hidden hinge design instead.

Image (http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/assets/common/images/devices/samsung-chromebook/large-3.jpg)

The Chromebook 550 looks better.....but it starts at $449.

Image (http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/assets/common/images/devices/samsung-s550/large-1.jpg)

Yeah it looks a lot better (more "air" like).

aneftp
Oct 22, 2012, 11:30 AM
Google has been trying "beta" versions of the Chromebook for over 2 years now.

It's a tough sell since it can't run regular windows or mac programs.

In a way netbooks weighing under 3 pounds are more useful than chromebooks.

Unless they can succeed against similar price tablets like the Kindle Fire, Nexus 7 and probably the iPad mini....it's a very difficult sell.

You can easily buy a bluetooth keyboard to use with the iPad and get a fully functional typing device.

Plus the reviews say the screen on Samsung chromebook is washed out.

It's going to be tough selling an "internet chromebook device with some word processing ability" even for $249.

Carouser
Oct 22, 2012, 11:52 AM
- Thin and light: 2.5lbs or less
- ZERO bloatware
- Instant on
- Built-in virus protection
- Automatic updates
- Cloud + local storage
- 6+ hour battery life
- 30 minute recharge time
- 10' screen or greater
- Document editing & uploading
- 1080p video capability
- No slowdown over time like PC's
- Great keyboard & trackpad
- USB 3.0 & HDMI

I find it very hard to believe that you wrote this list down one day, only to then go see if you could satisfy these very specific criteria, and lo-and-behold, the chromebook fit the bill. It's almost as if you had the Chromebook in mind and then shoehorned your requirements to fit.

What an amazing coincidence that this product was priced exactly at your maximum price tag criteria :rolleyes:

It's almost like you tailored your criteria and what you were looking for to this exact product..... but that would be crazy talk.

Yeah, like this guy said.

PDFierro
Oct 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
Well, who says the OP won't find something that doesn't work for him on the Chromebook? Seems like that's what happened with the iPad, thought it was perfect but then found out everything didn't go so smoothly.

Also, I'm a little suspicious of your requirements list for such a device. It doesn't sound like necessarily what you wanted, but as someone else said, you made the Chromebook work for you. Really, you imagined all this at a price tag of $249 max? There's no way you could have envisioned that and all the other requirements you listed.

I think the $249 Chromebook is great, though. I seriously thought about it when saw it. I've always been a fan of Chrome OS, the price just needed to be lower. It's a great entry-level computer that will offer 80 percent of what the MacBook Air does, as long as you're used to working in the cloud.

VulchR
Oct 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
Breaking news: Google and Samsung try to reverse all the progress made in personal computing since the 1980's by bringing back a time-sharing device that is tied to a mainframe.

I just can't see this catching on due to the limits of network access, and don't forget somebody has to pay for the bandwidth this thing will use. FWIW I hate that Siri (and voice dictation on the Mac) relies on network access.

MacRazySwe
Oct 22, 2012, 02:50 PM
So OP, I assume you joined these forums only to promote the Chromebooks? Looks like it. Anyways, my father works at Google and has been given one of the more recent Samsung Chromebooks. I've used it myself, and while he's trying to sell me on the idea, there is just no way I'd prefer it over my MBA.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a good product due to its low pricing and ease of use due to the automatic updates, lack of bloatware and built in anti-virus protection et.c. Therefore it's perfect for schools for example - but as a personal computer, it simply cannot replace an MBA, or even an iPad for that matter!

sixteen12
Oct 22, 2012, 02:54 PM
Have you seen the Chrome OS? It has little functionality for anything other than webbrowsing.

Co-Worker bought one, then returned it after a week and bought a Xoom.

These things don't fill any niche. They're about the same size and price as a tablet with only HTML web based apps available. They're cheaper but way less functional than an Ultrabook.

Either get an Asus Transformer, iPad or spend a bit more and get a laptop.

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
I can see Chrome catching on in the OLPC program....

http://learningevolves.wikispaces.com/file/view/pic001_big.jpg/30871606/pic001_big.jpg

MacRumorUser
Oct 22, 2012, 03:31 PM
I'm wondering with this model being based on ARM will it be modded with a CM10 Cyanogen mod. If they do, I'd actually consider getting one.

cnev3
Oct 22, 2012, 06:59 PM
Macbook air is automatically out of the question and overpriced at $1000 minimum :UGH:

Last time I checked, there wasn't an ultrabook with better specs, for a lower price than the current Air.

In most cases, Apple products are more expensive than the competition, but the current Macbook Air is actually competitively priced.

b166er
Oct 22, 2012, 07:03 PM
I don't understand why Google doesn't just make a desktop version of Android and put that on these netbooks. We basically have desktop versions of iOS and WP7/8 now. Google is trying to offer people Android and chromebooks at the same time but with little compatibility between the two.

then again, netbooks never really did it for me. I find my iPad very useful for school. I find my nexus 7 very useful for fun and keeping up with my google ecosystem on the go. Everything else is done on my macbook, aka a real computer. I don't think a netbook or a chromebook has anything to offer me, even at that great price.

But yeah to each their own, I'm not trying to bash. Just a little puzzled at what the real worth of this thing is outside of word processing with a real keyboard.

Technarchy
Oct 23, 2012, 12:00 AM
The question being when is a thin client too thin.

Chromebooks are too thin at this time for my tastes.

I like the concept, but it needs more maturity time before I would be considering one.

For light computing an iPad still has numerous, substantial advantages, and an Ultrabook or MBA walks all over the Chromebook in terms of performance and capabilities.

pgiguere1
Oct 23, 2012, 12:37 AM
OP, you're clearly trying to convince yourself of something.

You don't need no justification, you don't need no approval from others. Just buy what you think fits your needs and budget. Don't get paranoid about people judging you. It's just a computer.

That "requirements list" which is basically a copy of the computer's specs list and your FAQ with hypothetical naysayers is pushing it too far. Relax. Just buy the computer and enjoy it.

whoknows87
Oct 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
I have the Chrome Cr_48, the idea is great, but eeeeeeh not there yet, I still feel it lacks as a REAL LAPTOP

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 25, 2012, 09:44 PM
Can I swap the SSD for a higher storage one and load my own OS? That's the only way I'll purchase one.

vanzantapple
Nov 11, 2012, 01:10 AM
The Chromebooks really do inspire all kinds of negativity. Some reasonable and some not. Some say if it isn't exactly like a MacAir or Win laptop then it's a loser. These of course are the the worst of the negative comments. It is not meant to be a Mac Air or a Win laptop. It isn't. It is NOT. Don't cry when you want to install your old CD of Far Cry on it. It will not work. It's not a Windows laptop. I could go on for days. The main point is that you must do your homework before buying one of these devices. If it fits you, great. If not, great. Just don't cry when you can't install your old Mac Apps.

waa1futs
Nov 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
Oh Baby! Oh Baby!

Chromebook is getting delivered to me on Monday morning! :D

I just purchased a $999 Zenbook Prime (the one with the 1080p IPS display), but I would MUCH rather have the Chromebook work for me and save $750 since I am still within the 14-day return period.

I don't need any native PC programs like photoshop and I don't do any video editing. The only program I use on my old PC is an snes gaming emulator, which the chromebook can't do, but I can simply use my smartphone and HDMI for that ;)

I will report back with my impressions after I have used it for a couple days.

hyteckit
Nov 17, 2012, 11:13 PM
Seems cool.

But it's probably searching for a niche market like the Windows RT tablet.

Might work better in 3rd world countries looking for a cheap computer with limited functionality.

Mostly an internet device.

paolo-
Nov 18, 2012, 12:42 PM
I don't see Chromebook taking off anytime soon. The idea was developed before tablets came along. It's kind of ridiculous at this point. A Nexus 7 with a keyboard can do more than this thing at the same price.

Chrome OS doesn't make sense. I mean get a netbook with 16GB flash, you could run a full Linux distro and just use chrome in full screen if that's what you really want to do. You could also use native apps and save stuff locally. Sadly, most ARM laptops will be seeing will probably be locked to Windows RT or Chrome OS...

Looks like I wasn't the only one with that idea

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/22/googler-loads-ubuntu-on-an-arm-based-samsung-chromebook/

Jessica Lares
Nov 18, 2012, 01:26 PM
As I said in another thread, it's going to be so much better buying the high end versions of these Chromebooks. The $249 model isn't going to last you very long with how fast internet standards are changing. The graphics chips are going to be useless in one year, and the apps are going to get more bloated and the processors won't be able to handle them very well.

cynics
Nov 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
Yay! Google discovers the Netbook category....2 years after it died to the iPad juggernaut.

This thing is DOA.

There are things a tablet will do better. EBooks is just one. Touch screens have opened up a whole new category of apps. This thing lacks the power of even a netbook....and thats a statement I never thought I'd be typing. On a tablet no less.

Once upon a time, there was a similar concept.....it had its fans also, journalists mainly. It ran all the most popular Microsoft programs, embedded in ROM. It even let you connect to the "cloud." Road warriors back then raved about it and proclaimed all the new "laptops" from Toshiba, IBM, etc. were overkill for the work an average person needed to do while away from their desktop. Their arguments sounded almost exactly like the OP's.

Behold this Chromebook of yesteryear.....

Image (http://oldcomputers.net/pics/trs80-100.jpg)

http://oldcomputers.net/trs100.html

Android x86 project was completed in 2009 designed for net books. Even the "chrome book" branded netbooks have been out for like a year and a half. All manufacture will continue to make them. And if for some reason you needed one this isn't half bad.

jmgregory1
Nov 21, 2012, 08:15 AM
The only thing I would say with a $249 (or even $499) Chromebook/netbook is "you get what you pay for". You'll likely spend that amount every 12-18 months on "new" versions / replacements when instead you could spend more up front on a quality laptop or tablet and have something that lasts and retains value longer than the Yugo of laptops that these Chromebooks are.