PDA

View Full Version : Melted keys on my MacBook Air...

aaron5566
Oct 22, 2012, 04:35 AM
I accidentally spilled a drop of water on the top of the track pad so I decided to dry the water out with the hair dryer and didn't notice I was blowing the keys. Now the space bar, command and alt key on the right is deformed... Does the normal Apple Warranty cover a keyboard replacement? Everything is working fine. Trackpad is fine so are the deformed keys. It just deeply bothers me. If it doesn't cover this, how much would it cost to replace the 3 keys?

pommie82
Oct 22, 2012, 04:42 AM
This is accidentally damage apple wouldn't replace the items for free best thing you can do book a appointment with apple genius and say how much would this cost me to get fixed and they should be able to give you a price there and then or make phone call and find out for you.

aaron5566
Oct 22, 2012, 04:44 AM
Do you think it will cost alot? I just want to replace those 3 keys. My parents are going to kill me. :(

wditters
Oct 22, 2012, 05:07 AM
Do you think it will cost alot? I just want to replace those 3 keys. My parents are going to kill me. :(

I'd say check out eBay and ask a handy friend without a blowdryer to put it in. 2011 and 2012 keyboards should be identical.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Apple-Macbook-Air-13-A1369-2011-US-Layout-Keyboard-/190741083787?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2c690df68b

aaron5566
Oct 22, 2012, 05:34 AM
I'd say check out eBay and ask a handy friend without a blowdryer to put it in. 2011 and 2012 keyboards should be identical.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Apple-Macbook-Air-13-A1369-2011-US-Layout-Keyboard-/190741083787?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2c690df68b

Omg that's really pricey. I just want the keys that are deformed.

zhandri
Oct 22, 2012, 05:58 AM
http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/servlet/the-5734/Apple-Black-Macbook-AIR/Detail

Agent-P
Oct 22, 2012, 11:21 AM
You could try making a genius bar appointment and see what they say. Just don't tell them a hairdryer was the cause. Just say after your computer had been on all night you woke up to see the keys like that (or something along those lines). Also, you should post a picture or two of the melted keys.

TheRealDamager
Oct 22, 2012, 11:38 AM
Just order the replacement keys - they are not expensive. BTW - why would you use a hairdryer on a drop of water?

dukebound85
Oct 22, 2012, 11:40 AM

it really isnt...

0x000000
Oct 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
it really isnt...

If you're unlucky they want to exchange the whole topcase which should cost you something around 200 bucks, plus labor, another 150. I'd be surprised if you pay less than 300, considering how much work it is to replace the keyboard. The topcase is the "deepest" part of your notebook, getting there means taking apart everything. Check iFixIt, it's a pain in the arse.

But good luck, keep us updated.

mrsir2009
Oct 22, 2012, 01:15 PM

$50 isn't that bad for a replacement keyboard... Anyway, as someone else pointed out, you can buy individual replacement keys here: http://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/servlet/the-5734/Apple-Black-Macbook-AIR/Detail

aaron5566
Nov 4, 2012, 08:26 AM
Been meaning to get back to you guys, kept slipping my mind. I brought it to Apple and they did change it with a doubt. They said that this would just be a one time thing. :O I'll post some photos of the melted keys. Take note of the space bar, right command and alt. You can see that the space bar is like wavy and the command and alt is well deformed.

mehanika
Nov 5, 2012, 02:20 AM
Been meaning to get back to you guys, kept slipping my mind. I brought it to Apple and they did change it with a doubt. They said that this would just be a one time thing. :O I'll post some photos of the melted keys. Take note of the space bar, right command and alt. You can see that the space bar is like wavy and the command and alt is well deformed.

I'd say you owe them - What you did was more than stupid.

Use a towel/cloth/paper next time, and not a device made for drying your hair. Should you ever get the idea, a iron will not do any better....!

coldjeanzzz
Nov 5, 2012, 02:35 AM
Using a hairdryer to dry out anything related to electronics is probably not a good idea in general. You could have damaged it far beyond just melting the keys.

aaron5566
Nov 5, 2012, 05:58 AM
I know that was stupid . Will never do that again to any electronic device. Lesson learnt. I guess I was lucky, everything is fine. Keys are just as sensitive as before.

Jobsian
Nov 5, 2012, 06:10 AM
Err, the guy was just asking for advice, not to be robotically parented. Christ.