PDA

View Full Version : Buying MBA tomorrow some questions

i-sidd
Oct 22, 2012, 07:17 AM
Hi all,

After someone suggested to holf off buying until after tuesdays event. I am patiently waiting. I know there wouldnot be any annoucment for MBA or price drop but still you never know.

Anyways, I was orginally palnning to buy the 8gb 128 ssd, and now had a conversation with wife and she need to access her work stuff (windows ) as her PC is almost unusable.

If I get the 128 SSD, I think it will be very ;ess space if I get the partition doen and get windows installed.

I am thinking of getting the 256ssd, how much space should I leave for the windoes side, she only need to check her work email (outlook) and use her work virtual desktop.

Is ther any other otion where I dont have to go with eth 256 ssd and still get the windows on the MBA.

How would I install windows sicne the MBA does not have a disk drive?

Suggestions please

KPOM
Oct 22, 2012, 08:11 AM
What Windows programs do you need to run? Windows 7 itself takes up about 16GB of space. If it is just a few programs, you can cram Windows into a 32-40GB partition. A better option may be to use Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion as it won't require partitioning your SSD. The total actual space on the 128GB model is 121GB, of which about 12GB is used by OS X and built in software. The 256GB model has about 250GB of actual usable space.

There's a "Windows on Mac" forum here where you can find more answers. If you have Windows 7 only on a CD, you will need to create an .iso file on a PC and then save the file onto a USB key in order to install it on the MacBook Air. Alternatively, you can plug in a USB DVD drive.

oxfordguy
Oct 22, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hi all,

After someone suggested to holf off buying until after tuesdays event. I am patiently waiting. I know there wouldnot be any annoucment for MBA or price drop but still you never know.

Anyways, I was orginally palnning to buy the 8gb 128 ssd, and now had a conversation with wife and she need to access her work stuff (windows ) as her PC is almost unusable.

If I get the 128 SSD, I think it will be very ;ess space if I get the partition doen and get windows installed.

I am thinking of getting the 256ssd, how much space should I leave for the windoes side, she only need to check her work email (outlook) and use her work virtual desktop.

Is ther any other otion where I dont have to go with eth 256 ssd and still get the windows on the MBA.

Suggestions please

If that's all she wants to do with Windows, around 30Gb should be plenty, though would still recommend you get the 256Gb SSD, 128Gb is just too tight for much. I use a 60Gb partition for Windows 7, but need the extra space for a few games.

Would also recommend 8Gb, especially if using any Virtual Machines (e.g. Parallels, VMWare Fusion).

BTW will she be accessing her Windows work stuff remotely (through Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection) or does she need to run Windows apps on her own machine (so via Bootcamp and/or VMWare/Parallels)?

Hellhammer
Oct 22, 2012, 08:16 AM
I would first find out if she can do her work stuff in OS X. Checking email can definitely be done, you don't need Outlook for that (even if you do, there is Office for Mac with Outlook). As for her work virtual desktop, we need more information on what client does she use for that - there is a chance that it can be done in OS X as well.

i-sidd
Oct 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
"A better option may be to use Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion as it won't require partitioning your SSD".

I like this idea, but how do you use it? sorry clueless...

"BTW will she be accessing her Windows work stuff remotely (through Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection) or does she need to run Windows apps on her own machine (so via Bootcamp and/or VMWare/Parallels)"

I am not sure how she does it, but the last week when she tried it said on her PC that she needs a windows 7 or higher to log in. I think she logs in with a VPN shortcut thats on her desktop to access her remote desktop.

Matthew9559
Oct 22, 2012, 09:05 AM
It's incredibly easy to install Windows on a VM through Parallels, VMWare, etc.

All you do is select the version of Windows during setup of a new image and then point the install to where you Windows disc or ISO is stored. It will install the boot camp drivers as well when you use VMWare. I assume the same with Parallels but I actually haven't used it personally.

oxfordguy
Oct 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
It's incredibly easy to install Windows on a VM through Parallels, VMWare, etc.

All you do is select the version of Windows during setup of a new image and then point the install to where you Windows disc or ISO is stored. It will install the boot camp drivers as well when you use VMWare. I assume the same with Parallels but I actually haven't used it personally.

Although I think a better way to use Parallels (and assume you can do the same with VMWare Fusion) is to install Windows in separate bootcamp partition, but also within Mac OS X to point Parallels to it, then you can access Windows either by booting directly into it via Bootcamp (e.g. if you need maximum performance/compatibility) or from within Mac OS X via Parallels, depending on the need at the time.

i-sidd
Oct 22, 2012, 09:50 AM
is installing windows via bootcamp better for performace and compatibilty.

wolfpuppies3
Oct 22, 2012, 09:59 AM
Strongly recommend Parallels vs BootCamp, don't know anything about VM ware. Had Bootcamp loaded and it immediately became problematic in a number of ways - fixed partition size that needed to be adjusted, requirement to boot into one or the other OS, etc. Ended up uninstalling it and using Parallels which works beautifully and allows you to always boot into Mac OS X and simultaneously run OS X as well as Windows programs anytime you wish.

You don't need Windows to access Outlook mail boxes, I do that every day to read my office email via webmail.

+1 to the 256 GB drive, you would quickly regret the smaller 128 GB SSD. I have the 512 GB SSD in my 2012 13" MBA.

KPOM
Oct 22, 2012, 12:07 PM
is installing windows via bootcamp better for performace and compatibilty.

Boot Camp will be faster, but especially if you get the 8GB model, between the extra RAM and the speedy SSD, Parallels or VMWare Fusion are fine for running tasks like accessing a virtual desktop on Internet Explorer. I do that with my 2012 MacBook Air (8GB i7 with 256GB SSD) and have used both Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion in the past. Boot Camp is better if you want to play Windows games. But for using Internet Explorer, I'd just go the virtual machine route.

From my experience, Parallels Desktop is a little easier to use. I've seen Parallels Desktop for $45 at Purplus, and VMWare Fusion is $50 from VMWare's website. You install either one of these programs, then you insert your Windows CD or USB drive. You initiate the installation process from within the program. It creates a file on your SSD that expands and contracts as necessary. There's also a free program called VirtualBox, but it is a little more difficult to use.

tdhurst
Oct 22, 2012, 12:27 PM
Buy the 256 if you're going to partition your drive and use Windows natively on the machine.

It's a bit pricier, but you'll be thankful not to have to worry about space as much.

My boss has the same machine as I do, but with double hd space for your same reason. He loves it.

i-sidd
Oct 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
if I don't partition and use Parallels is there any reason for me to go with the 256SSD.

SInce the only space will be for installing the parallels software correct? or it will still install and require spcae for windows.

This is where I am geting confused.

tdhurst
Oct 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
if I don't partition and use Parallels is there any reason for me to go with the 256SSD.

SInce the only space will be for installing the parallels software correct? or it will still install and require spcae for windows.

Besides more space? No, not really.

I just know that my 128 gig SSD has only 30 or so gigs left, and that's without video and most of my music in iTunes Match.

I'd hate to have to worry about space more so than I already do.

And I'm only running OS X.

macmastersam
Oct 22, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hi all,

Suggestions please

if you need the space, just get an external hard drive for all the windows files.

but yes, i would hold off until after Tuesdays event, though, might release something a bit more appealing to you ;)

KPOM
Oct 22, 2012, 12:55 PM

You will still need space for Parallels (about 400MB) and the actual Windows installation (roughly 16GB to start with). However, you won't need to partition your SSD. If you use Parallels, Windows will just look like a big file to OS X. It will expand and contract as necessary.

If you don't need the additional space, then go with the 128GB version. What other software will you be installing on the Mac? Do you have a Mac already? As an aside, are you buying the 13" or 11" version? If you are getting the 13" version, you might see what configurations are available for the new 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

FHayek
Oct 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
I recently purchased a 13" MBA with upgraded storage and memory (258 & 8 gigs) so I could run Windows via Parallels.

I've allocated 2.5gigs of RAM for the VM, Windows and my Office 2010 products run beautifully. I am very pleased with the fluid integration between the two operating systems. Additionally, I use Coherence mode in Parallels, which keeps my desktop clean.

Very pleased with my experience thus far.

Good luck-
FHayek

Mrbobb
Oct 22, 2012, 02:12 PM
she only need to check her work email (outlook) and use her work virtual desktop.

There is Outlook OSX.

And OSX (at least ML that I know of) has native app to Remote Desktop to another Windows machine.

Now if to remote desktop requires a separate VPN transport then I don't know.

i-sidd
Oct 23, 2012, 07:01 AM
You will still need space for Parallels (about 400MB) and the actual Windows installation (roughly 16GB to start with). However, you won't need to partition your SSD. If you use Parallels, Windows will just look like a big file to OS X. It will expand and contract as necessary.

If you don't need the additional space, then go with the 128GB version. What other software will you be installing on the Mac? Do you have a Mac already? As an aside, are you buying the 13" or 11" version? If you are getting the 13" version, you might see what configurations are available for the new 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Planning on getting the 13 inch. I currenty have a white macboook from late 2006, the batter has come off from one side and the cam goes dark, the fan keeps spinning as soon as I start working on something . safari etc.

I have been holding off buying hoping to buy a MBP or MBA, but now have made the decison to go with MBA.

I will be using it at home most of the time, but SSD is what is making me go with MBA. although the HD space on the MBP looks sweet for the same price.

As far as MAc apps go, it wlll be very few, no photoshop etc. In the windows side as well, no gaming etc. for that I use my ipad

i-sidd
Oct 24, 2012, 07:05 AM
I think with yesterdays annoucements and no change to the lineup, I think the next refresh will come in 2013.

So I thin I am going to buy the MBA.
I had a question regarding external drive. I saw an usb3.o seagate external desktop and portable hard drive at Costco for a good price for both 1.5TB and 3 TB for the desktop version.

Is this a good deal or shoudl I buy it from somewhere else. Will I be able to automatically backup from the MBA to the external drive.

oxfordguy
Oct 25, 2012, 02:36 AM
I think with yesterdays annoucements and no change to the lineup, I think the next refresh will come in 2013.

So I thin I am going to buy the MBA.

If you want a new 13" machine the MBA is looking a much better buy than the new 13" rMBP IMHO, as long as you don't skimp on the RAM or SSD

I had a question regarding external drive. I saw an usb3.o seagate external desktop and portable hard drive at Costco for a good price for both 1.5TB and 3 TB for the desktop version.

Is this a good deal or shoudl I buy it from somewhere else. Will I be able to automatically backup from the MBA to the external drive.

I don't know about that drive in particular but any drive should work with Timemachine if you format the partition you want to use for backups to HFS. Definitely go for a USB 3.0 drive, so much faster than USB 3.0