Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leftyblues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Good morning. I am a new user to final cut and it seems like a whole lot more than I need at the moment.

I am a musician and I do digital video of my shows.

I want to be able to open up a file that may
Be an hour long and copy individual songs to new files so I can post them to our websites..

So far it seems the program is geared toward the exact opposite; importing various files and combining them( which I will learn to do do later on)

The manual is HUGE and I want to get rolling.

Are there any online tutorials or tips any of you more experienced user may have ?

Thank you in advance for any help

Lefty

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Good morning. I am a new user to final cut and it seems like a whole lot more than I need at the moment.

I am a musician and I do digital video of my shows.

I want to be able to open up a file that may
Be an hour long and copy individual songs to new files so I can post them to our websites..

So far it seems the program is geared toward the exact opposite; importing various files and combining them( which I will learn to do do later on)

The manual is HUGE and I want to get rolling.

Are there any online tutorials or tips any of you more experienced user may have ?

Thank you in advance for any help

Lefty

Your best bet if all you want to do is extract segments and export to individual files is to use QuickTime Pro 7 or MPEG Stream Clip.

Either one will let you mark an in and out point, trim the file and export.

Mpeg Stream Clip is free if you don't already have quicktime pro.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Now I dont know which version you are using.
FCP 7 and older will allow you to create in and out points on a sequence timeline.
FCPX wont. You will need to create one project per song which isnt that hard.
Then export each project at a time.
A pain in the @$$ but doable.
Since your new to this, I wont even mention other steps since its too hard at a beginning stage.

Good luck!

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Any person new to Final Cut Pro or other editing software. First learn the rudimentary of that software. If you go on YouTube there are plenty of tutorials. Some are good some are rubbish.
It sounds like you got FCP-7.
Please when posting about FCP let us know what version you are working with.
Saves a lot of time and your questions would be answered faster.:apple:

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
As already mentioned, please clarify if you're using FCP or FCPX.

While both are a bit overkill, what you want to do can be achieved quite easily. Simply import your video files into a new project, set an "in" point to the start of a song, then set an "out" point at the end. Then export. Repeat for each clip.

It's a very simple process, but since you're completely new to the software you'll have to look up in the help menu how to set in/out points.

Leftyblues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hey guys ..thanks for the replies. I am all Mac now and the final cut version is 10.3

Leftyblues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
By the way although I am new to this software I ave edited video from a zoom Q3HD before, doing the same thing I am looking to do.

I know if al cut is going to be a great tool and I will go through the process of learning it ..

I was just hoping to get this information in the short term to accomplish this task..

That's again to all for your replies

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
There are two version at present FCP-7 and FCP-X. If you are on the last one you need to update.:apple:

Leftyblues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hey day break, I will check when I get home..at the beach..have iPad access to the net but no laptop..

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I do a lot of this type of work, basically you'll want to create a project and add in a clip with the appropriate start and end (in and out) points from your event browser. Then apply the necessary color corrections, audio adjustments, etc. and export as a ProRes 422, ... move on to next clip. I would then take this series of ProRes exports and compress them in Compressor, if you drag them all in, apply settings and hit 'Submit', it will go through and compress them all one at a time as a queue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.