PDA

View Full Version : iPod battery/software gone haywire

number9
Sep 3, 2005, 10:27 AM
About two days ago I started using my iPod mini after not using it for a couple days (I was moving into school) and it worked fine at first. But after using it for about 20 minutes it said the battery was low and to connect it to a power source, even thought there was about 3/4 of a charge in the battery. So I restarted it by holding down the select and menu button, and low and behold it did it again a few minutes later. So I connected it to my iMac and restored the firmware, version 1.4, hoping that maybe it was just a software error. But even after a fresh install and a full charge through the AC adapter, it still would say it had no charge and shut down after just a few minutes of use. Not amount of software restores or charging seems to be working two days after the problem initially showed up. What should I do? Should I have it repaired ( I bought it last July (2004) so its out of the standard warrantee), or should I just buy a new one?

mad jew
Sep 3, 2005, 11:31 AM
It's a long shot, but maybe let it get as flat as possible and then charge it back up (calibrate). Of course, to charge it back up you'll need to use the computer, it won't work from the wall.

number9
Sep 3, 2005, 12:00 PM
Yea I've tried to let it run down, because I know sometimes the battery needs to be "reset" this way, but like i said, when it says low battery with a full charge after 10 minutes, when it comes back on the battery level is actually all the way down or very close. And when I do charge it from the wall after this point, it still takes several hours for it to supposedly recharge, but it still does the same "dead after a couple minutes" routine. So im pretty stumped

mad jew
Sep 3, 2005, 12:02 PM
If you absolutely flatten it, it shouldn't be able to charge from the wall. It should need the computer. So make sure it's absolutely dead. :)

Also, maybe try restoring it with an older version of the iPod Updater after that.

EJBasile
Sep 3, 2005, 04:34 PM
That's an iPod for you.

I've never had one that has lasted. My oldest one lasted 11 monthes but it was my 3rd which means it is warrantied under the warranty of my 1st iPod, so it could not be replaced.