Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
With the new 13" Macbook Pro with Retina display, the price gap between this one and the 13" Air seems rather small. So why would you go for a Mac Air when there probably won't be any noticable weight differences between the two, and the Pro will be more powerful?
I'm planning to either get this new 13" with Retina or a 13" Air. I think the price for the Air line could drop. What do you guys think? Wait a while before getting a Mac Air?

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
I will decide tomorrow, after I see the new Retina 13" and see if it will fit my needs. But I'm also hoping for a price drop on the Air.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
So why would you go for a Mac Air when there probably won't be any noticable weight differences between the two

U my friend like a lot of people "buy by the numbers."

OK, here's one who actually owned and lug around different size/weight notebooks. I lugged around a 4.5LB notebook for years, at the time competitively lightweight, but secretly wish something lighter, so I go, my next one 3.5LB would be good. But u say, it's only 1LB! what's %@%#* deal with 1LB? Can't really explain it in English, u actually have to have done it. Now this is for people WHO TRULY TAKE THEIR MACHINES EVERYWHERE. If this is gonna be sitting at your home 90% of the time then stop reading and buy the upcoming retina. Air is not for u.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Why would there be a price drop?
The rMBP and MBA are not entirely meant to do the same thing. rMBP is a more powerful machine, simple as that. If the rMBP is going to be priced around $1699, there is no way a price drop would happen.

The MBA is starting to become the "base" Macbook, followed by the Pros, then the Retina Pros.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
If the rumoured $1699 price point for the 13" rMBP is true, then I don't think the MBA will see a price drop. That's enough of a gap to keep them separate (as they are in different classes and don't compete with each other).

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
U my friend like a lot of people "buy by the numbers."

OK, here's one who actually owned and lug around different size/weight notebooks. I lugged around a 4.5LB notebook for years, at the time competitively lightweight, but secretly wish something lighter, so I go, my next one 3.5LB would be good. But u say, it's only 1LB! what's %@%#* deal with 1LB? Can't really explain it in English, u actually have to have done it. Now this is for people WHO TRULY TAKE THEIR MACHINES EVERYWHERE. If this is gonna be sitting at your home 90% of the time then stop reading and buy the upcoming retina. Air is not for u.

Don't agree. One of the most notable useability features of the MBA is the slope of the base. This makes it ever so easy to use on any surface without any real risk of wrist/palm problems. Try doing that on the rMBP.

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
I intend to buy something very portable. Weight is important for me. If the price difference is not big, I will consider the 13" rMBP, if not, I'll go for the air. The reason why I said that the gap isn't big, is because in Europe, prices are a lot bigger. You can get a 15" rMBP in America for the money you pay here for a normal 15" MBP. Taking all of this into consideration, I don't think that a 300 euro gap between the 13" Air and the new 13" rMBP is enough.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I was planning on getting the base 13MBA but wanted to see the rMBP tomorrow. Although the 1699$ is a huge gap from 1299$. Not sure I'll buy at that price, but we'll see if the rumored 1699 is true (hopefully not)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.