Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
I bought a 12" Powerbook a couple of months ago. It was my first experience with the Mac OS and I fell in love straight away.

After 3 months use I am realising that I'm not really using the mobility the Powerbook provides. Since I bought it, it has never left my house! I have upgraded it to 1GB RAM and also purchased an external DVD writer.

I think the most intensive thing I do with my Powerbook is encoding a couple of DVDs every now and again to DivX. I use the iLife suite, mainly iPhoto and iTunes. I use NetNews Wire Lite, Adium, Skype, Gimp, OpenOffice etc.

I'm starting to wonder whether buying a Powerbook is overkill. I'm considering giving up the Powerbook for a Mac Mini.

I have checked out the specs and for the most part they're equal except for the Graphics card where I will be losing 32MB and support for Core Image but how noticeable will this really be?

Judging from the above do you guys think a move to a Mac Mini is a good idea?

Any opinions would be appreciated especially from Mac Mini users.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It wouldn't be worth selling it IMO. You've already gone through the biggest single point of depreciation by opening the PowerBook's box so it's not worth selling it for a mini. You'll probably come out with no extra money, a computer that's about as capable performance-wise, if not a little less, and the lack of portability.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
Cheers guys. I think I may stick with it and just buy the cheapest Mac Mini to use as a file server as I don't like keeping my Powerbook on all the time.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Generally I'd have to agree--you are best off, economically, keeping the Powerbook.

If you really really want a desktop, get the entry level iMac--MUCH faster than the PB's. I'm speaking from experience here--I just went from a 15" Al 1.5 GHz Powerbook to a 20" 2 GHz iMac. Even with the stock RAM the iMac is WAY faster than my PB was.

The Mac Mini would be a notable downgrade based on my experience with it--my best friend has one, and my Powerbook was noticeably--not dramatically, but noticeably--faster.

Best,

Bob

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
nsheikh80 said:
Cheers guys. I think I may stick with it and just buy the cheapest Mac Mini to use as a file server as I don't like keeping my Powerbook on all the time.

Guess you can't sheikh the idea of getting a Mini huh? [sorry man ;) ]

I'd possibly wait for the next revision of the Mini. I don't see the problem with leaving your PB on all the time - what are you afraid of?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
nsheikh80 said:

I would have just as big a problem having the mini on all the time as I would the PowerBook. The single component that really should be given a rest each night is the hard drive and both machines use a wimpy 2.5 inch disk albeit the mini probably does have slightly better ventilation.

Can I second the notion to get an iMac, they scream! Or maybe even an eMac.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
dops7107 said:
Guess you can't sheikh the idea of getting a Mini huh? [sorry man ;) ]

You may be surprised to larn its not the first time my names been used in such contest. Kudos, though, for being the first on Mac Rumors to do it :p

I guess I'm just worried about general wear and teat. I guess a computer like the iMac has been designed and built for always-on usage but a laptop/notebook hasn't. Maybe these are just ill-preconceived notions.

Any how, I have ordered the Mini now.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
Naimfan said:
Generally I'd have to agree--you are best off, economically, keeping the Powerbook.

If you really really want a desktop, get the entry level iMac--MUCH faster than the PB's. I'm speaking from experience here--I just went from a 15" Al 1.5 GHz Powerbook to a 20" 2 GHz iMac. Even with the stock RAM the iMac is WAY faster than my PB was.

The Mac Mini would be a notable downgrade based on my experience with it--my best friend has one, and my Powerbook was noticeably--not dramatically, but noticeably--faster.

Best,

Bob

I did look into the iMac and they do seem like wonderful machines but they're slightly out of my price range at the moment. Plus I don't really need a monitor at this time.

Thanks for your opinions but I have decided to stick with the Powerbook and I have ordered a Mac Mini which I will use as a file server and general "drone" computer.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
mad jew said:
I would have just as big a problem having the mini on all the time as I would the PowerBook. The single component that really should be given a rest each night is the hard drive and both machines use a wimpy 2.5 inch disk albeit the mini probably does have slightly better ventilation.

Can I second the notion to get an iMac, they scream! Or maybe even an eMac.

Hey Mad Jew. I guess you're right about the HD. I'm sure it is probably slightly easier to replace th Powerbook HD than the Mini HD. I will be sure to give it a rest every now and again.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
nsheikh80 said:
Hey Mad Jew. I guess you're right about the HD. I'm sure it is probably slightly easier to replace th Powerbook HD than the Mini HD. I will be sure to give it a rest every now and again.

Yeah, it's actually a bit of a pet hate of mine - running a 2.5 inch hard drive overnight, but that's just me. Either machine should be fine, they've both been adequately engineered when it comes to ventilation.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think they're going to both do the exact same thing for you. So yeah, a Mac Mini used as a file server is fine, but next time, just get 2 Mac Minis and forget the Powerbook. :)

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think a lot of people get laptops and expect to use them outside their home all the time, but ending up using the portability very little. Then they think "wow, with a desktop computer I could get a lot more power for my money or just spend a lot less money". However, in the end it's probably better to have the PowerBook because there will be time when you really do need the portability and then you'll be very happy you have a laptop. Just one time will really make you feel like you made the right decision.

However, there's no reason not to get both :) . A PowerBook and Mac mini would be a good combo for all your computing needs.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
jamdr said:
I think a lot of people get laptops and expect to use them outside their home all the time, but ending up using the portability very little. Then they think "wow, with a desktop computer I could get a lot more power for my money or just spend a lot less money". However, in the end it's probably better to have the PowerBook because there will be time when you really do need the portability and then you'll be very happy you have a laptop. Just one time will really make you feel like you made the right decision.

wow yea! I do that. the most 'portability' my Powerbook has felt in the last few months was when i was eBaying sat on the trampoline in the back garden (absolutely terrible signal, but it never cut off). i won bomberman Ds that day.
does go to university with me. although im not back there till later this month.

i would never get a desktop though. maybe an iMac. but i just like small compact things.

keep the PowerBook :) if you haven't reached a decision and my wee opinion counts; keep it. nothing more to say other than the Mini just doesn't cut it power-wise.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Keep the Powerbook. If you change it to mini then you'll need to buy a monitor (if you dont have one).

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
MacTruck said:
Here is the main reason to keep your laptop!
http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_00652.wmv

Very entertaining!
On a serious note though - for many years I have primarily been a laptop user. A couple of years ago - I decided to by a desktop for a number of reasons. Upgradeable, more power, bigger screen, slightly cheaper etc...
Lasted 18 months - and I went back to a laptop. I like even occasionally being portable... although I find I'm portable quite a bit these days... even if it is just around the house! Couch, bed, dining room, loungeroom, study... Wireless DSL is great!

Definitely keep the laptop... but having a desktop system / server / drone machine is a great idea! I only have an external hard drive atm.. but plan on getting a iMac or Mac mini next year I hope for similar purposes.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
jamdr said:

However, there's no reason not to get both :) . A PowerBook and Mac mini would be a good combo for all your computing needs.

Well from 2000 - 2004 I was a student and never bought anything but laptops. I also used the portability. So I guess out of habit I just bought another laptop (the Powerbook). But the most portable it gets is when I....ahem......attend natures call. It doesn't help that I also have a Windows notebook from work.

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
raggedjimmi said:
wow yea! I do that. the most 'portability' my Powerbook has felt in the last few months was when i was eBaying sat on the trampoline in the back garden (absolutely terrible signal, but it never cut off). i won bomberman Ds that day.
does go to university with me. although im not back there till later this month.

i would never get a desktop though. maybe an iMac. but i just like small compact things.

keep the PowerBook :) if you haven't reached a decision and my wee opinion counts; keep it. nothing more to say other than the Mini just doesn't cut it power-wise.

Thanks for your opinion Ragged. What are you studying at uni? You mentioned Bomberman in your post. Can you get Bomberman for the Mac?

nsheikh80

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
London, England
AJ Muni said:
dude keep the powerbook what are u thinkin???

I think you guys have convinced me to keep it but I bought a Mac Mini too. I noticed you have 512MB in your 12 inch PB. Dude, trust me when I say upgrade it to 1.25GB, it feels like a totally different OS.

Are you based in UK? If so, Crucial do some good prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.