PDA

View Full Version : Question About WiFi On iBook

skateny
Oct 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
I'm far from a WiFi guru.

My question: Are there are any restrictions, limitations or modifications needed to my using a Wireless-G USB adapter/antenna that complies with IEEE 802.11g and IEEE 802.11b standards on my iBook?

Thanks.

iThinkergoiMac
Oct 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
Generally not...

That being said, it depends on what version of OS X you're running. Leopard will be your best shot at compatibility.

skateny
Oct 22, 2012, 04:22 PM
Generally not...

That being said, it depends on what version of OS X you're running. Leopard will be your best shot at compatibility.

Thanks.

I've got 10.5.8, and I want to extend my connection. I'm aware that this will result in a speed decrement.

iThinkergoiMac
Oct 23, 2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks.

I've got 10.5.8, and I want to extend my connection. I'm aware that this will result in a speed decrement.

It shouldn't hurt your speed. 802.11g is 54 Mbps, and even 802.11n maxes out at 300 Mbps. You have USB 2, which has a maximum throughput of 480 Mbps. So, I don't know why you should expect a speed reduction. If anything, you should expect a speed increase.

Still, you're going to have to risk purchasing the device and trying it, or at least Googling the individual devices you want to consider.