Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I know that this is a Mac site and I haven't posted as myself but once or twice (unregistered guest is so easy), but after the years and years of the Apple deathwatch, can't we at least pride ourselves on outlasting Gateway?

I give them 18 months, sooner if they can find a suitor, (which I doubt)

Apple has really good "genetic material". Just like a good virus. Can't kill em!

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Did you here about HP and Compaq
they are loosing money badly
the only reason they merged was to keep both of them alive
and now they are about to die

I hope billion dollar bill does help them out

TMay

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Yeah, I've been following that too. My personal opinion is that Carly is taking what is left of a great company down a path that isn't that promising. Moreover, I think that its printer division, and its financial strength, would be diluted by Compaq(they ate Tandem and DEC if you recall). I predict that they (together or collectively) will be out of the consumer market for pc's soon as well (though they will still sell them, through their website(s), and to corporations).

Not that printers haven't /won't become a commodity market, but HP is trying to move farther into the corporate printing market, as are the other notables.

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
so if gateway dies and compaq and hp die, then it will be mainly ibm and dell versus apple right? but when is apple estimated to go down the tube like the rest, i think it will be a while because of its loyal fan base and its still growing slowly but still the fanbas will be there and it wont go down that much so apple really can either die or go up.

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Big Blue

Another is IBM cuz they have even said that they may close down the pc division which wouldn't hurt them in the leat but come on lets think no ibm pc,hp/compaq merged,no gateway so thats 2 big windows computers/ so apple would be alot better off. So in that regard go apple but in another regard what about silicon valley unimployment level?

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
So if:

If HP, Compaq and Gateway die a horrible death, than the M$Bell idea could really take off. With only Dell left standing there would be no impetus to keeping a 2 company industry going as anything ELSE but a Nationalized utility.

On the other hand it makes the camps rather clear:

Apple/Motorolla/IBM/Sony/TW-AOL/Sprint

VS.

M$/Intel/AMD/Dell/AT&T(TCI)

We may get a 50/50 marketshare by default.:rolleyes: :cool: :D

sahil

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2001
Bartltt..small place in IL
your forgeting the main company threat....

in case you didnt hear steve talk about our new imac he mentioned that apple is going to be one of the last three standing, the other being "SONY" (which seems tough and not goign to go away soon) and Dell ( but as soon as i get a gun, il b able to end that whole thing with michael dell!!!lol
but seriously apple will be the last company that people will turn to after about 5-6 yearrs...cos they are survivors and no other company has seemed to display that sort of tolerance...u c how apple has posted profits in trying times like this...and also with the release of risky products....

sahil

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Sony

I put Sony in "our" corner because they have recently signed a patent sharing agreement with Apple similar to the Apple/Motorolla/IBM agreement. This implies co-operation in development and some form of mutual non-aggression.

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Power of 0SX

for all u who went to MWSF or any MW since OSX have u noticed how there are alot more Unix/Linux fans now if you think abouth it X is the only popular gui linux/unix os that means that we will get alot of those linux/unix junkies that want the ease of use of windows but still be able to hack the core. this sounds like the slow demise of the evil empire i.e. wintel pc's.
Sony and Dell as competition sounds good to me.
in the end dell= lowend wintel sony= highend wintel and apple = second brand. Do I here the sound of OSX clones

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
so dell, sony, and apple will be hardware right? and ms and mac will be the os's on the machines, unless dell ro sony go to linux. Ibm used to be n.1 but they are doing a whole lot on software and the ibm computer just doesnt seem very stylish. But microsoft is acually slowly turning to hardware, their first project was x-box and i heard they have a tablet out, so microsoft might become wrapped up in hardware but then it would end with a race of mirosoft computer, which would beat off dell with a big fat stick and allow sony to make stuff for them, and apple hardware. But this is only if apple can hold on from closing and giving in to microsoft. But does apple really got what it takes to stay alive? also what companies make pcs now, just wondering

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Prime Projection:

What if Apple's agreement with Sony includes liscencing OS X ? If Sony makes Apple Clones as a sole manufacturor and shares proffits with Apple, then Dell would be in serious trouble.:D

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Re: Prime Projection:

Originally posted by mischief
What if Apple's agreement with Sony includes liscencing OS X ? If Sony makes Apple Clones as a sole manufacturor and shares proffits with Apple, then Dell would be in serious trouble.:D

Hey, ANYTHING to get rid of that annoying turd of a *j a c k a s s* with the eggbeater haircut sputtering out to anyone within earshot the horror- inducing phrase:

"DUDE! You're gettin' a DELL!"

(more like "Dude! You're entering HELL!")

yeeesh!!!!:mad:

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I'm not really sure, but I think that compaq was on the verge of death, and got bailed out by HP, but compaq may just drag HP down with them.

As far as dell goes, I think that they will back off into the server market, and cheap comsumer models, but even then, they may just abandon all comsumer computers.

Gateway, in my eyes, is screwed. They offer the same as everyone else, but without as much reliability.

Sony may be the only other company to make good, decent, pee-cee's. They are Apple's main competitor, and, as Jobs says, "They copy us like crazy!"

IBM is going to hack their consumer market.

It's all about selling the computer with the most, for the least. People see big specs, and a small price, and say, "this must be good". Unfortunatley, they screw themselves over when they do that. You get what you pay for.

If there was a Mac in every computer store, Apple would have a lot more marketshare. I've seen computer stores with titanium powerbooks, and ibooks, and cinema displays, and people are just impressed. They are like "wow, this is a cool computer." They blow away all of the pee-cee laptops.

To stay alive in the computer industry today, you have to innovate (Apple), or copy like hell (dell, sony, hp, compaq, gateway, emachines...)

besides, you can always build your own pee-cee for less, and if you want a laptop, Apple is the way to go, hands down.

Dell and its computers

I think Dell was ok at one time and was worthy of living, BUT with thier "New" releases they have started putting "Nails" in the coffin. Our school just got some new Dells and they are terrible! They CD drive is manual, the moniter is the size of a large dog(But has tiny viewing area), and the USB ports are on the front(Which is ok) BUT they are covered up by the keyboard. I also heard of some Dells that had SIDEWAYS drives. That is a good way to kill performance! GOOD JOB DELL (WAY TO DIE)

jaredbbauer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2001
Salt Lake City
I had a Dell and switched to Mac

Dell may look strong but their little moto of being the best at customer service is going down hill quick. And those of us who have had a dell in the past sure want nothing more to do with them. I had a laptop that i bought from them the first of last year and i had more problems with that stupid thing than i can even explain in one post. I was always on the phone iwth their tech support which i found to be undertrained and well just plain stupid. During the summer I switched all of my computers over to MAC and I love them! Mac will succeed because they are a lot more stable and when you do have a problem you can usually fix it yourself if! I love Apple!

jaredbbauer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2001
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by GigaWire

Maybe for you, but not on the whole.

I disagree, everyone that I have talked to says their support is horrible. My brother is switching to some computer maker in his hometown because of the problems that he has had with dell, and my friends who have dells all have said the same thing. One of my friends when his hard drive went out their next day service turned into one week later service. Their Customer Support is aweful.

MattB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
PCs refuse to innovate...

Unlike Apple and Sony, HP, Compaq, Dell and Gateway refuse to innovate with their product lines. Those companies are watching each other so closely that they will never release an unheard of product like the new iMac, attempt to produce a computer with the simplicity of the old iMac and will never attempt building something so astonishing as the Cube. These companies lack passion (something Jobs and Ives are full of) and it is this lack of passion that will be the death of them.

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Let's get one thing straight

There will NEVER be mac clones again, as long as Steve is CEO at least. They tried that one before and almost died! Why? Because the clone makers sold their computers for less than Apple. Granted, they were poorer quality, but the avg. consumer barely looks at that. Apple doesn't want to compete in it's own playground.

Apple will be around for a while. They are one of the very few IT companies turning a profit right now. In a recession. With 5% of the market. Their marketshare will probably not go down, because that 5% is mostly loyal users like ourselves. As long as they keep doing what they are doing, they will only gain customers.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
I read some analyst jive about Apple buying some market share with further reduced iMac pricing (and margins), and why that is a bad idea.

I like this idea.

Myself, I think that at some point, Apple will be in a position to pick up 2 or 3 points. This will be especially well received by developers as it directly translates into more profit. Developers like that.

You have to give Jobs tremendous respect for patience and tactics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.