Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hey all,

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for connecting my mac mini to my G5.. Right now they are connected via ethernet.

My goal is to be able to swap files, use the wifi from my mini for the g5 and screen share.

Thanks all

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hey all,

Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for connecting my mac mini to my G5.. Right now they are connected via ethernet.

My goal is to be able to swap files, use the wifi from my mini for the g5 and screen share.

Thanks all

Wired is the fastest way to connect, you should say which models you have, I am pretty positive they both have Ethernet 10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ-45) and if that is the case you should connect them with a CAT 6 cable, this way it is the fastest.
Share your internet connection from the mini to the G5 in System Preferences.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Regarding screen sharing, you have two easy options.

If you only have one monitor, you could set up a VNC server on the Mac you use least often, and connect to it from the other Mac. If you go to the Sharing section of System Preferences, you'll see the option for screen sharing.

If you have two monitors (one for each PC) but only one keyboard and mouse, look at Synergy. It lets you move the mouse pointer off one screen and onto the other, and the keyboard follows. Last I heard (which was about 5 years ago), there were a few small issues using it with OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.