PDA

View Full Version : Which Proccessor is faster?

Savapple
Oct 23, 2012, 10:29 AM
Hi guys, I'm just wondering which processor is faster-

2.0GHz i7 or 2.5GHz i5

Thanks for any replies!

Wokis
Oct 23, 2012, 11:03 AM
Intel has used the i3/i5/i7 branding through three generations now and the names by themselves don't mean much. You'll have to look up core count on each model and also hopefully what year that iX was released, so we can get a hunch of what generation you're comparing against.

robvas
Oct 23, 2012, 11:15 AM
Hi guys, I'm just wondering which processor is faster-

2.0GHz i7 or 2.5GHz i5

Thanks for any replies!

Are you comparing the Air to the Pro? Take a look at the max turbo speeds for each CPU. Also, Ivy Bridge chips are faster than Sandy Bridge chips. And if you're talking about the original, dual-core i5 in the MacBook Pro - that's ancient.

tiwizard
Oct 23, 2012, 12:07 PM
Are you comparing the Air to the Pro? Take a look at the max turbo speeds for each CPU. Also, Ivy Bridge chips are faster than Sandy Bridge chips. And if you're talking about the original, dual-core i5 in the MacBook Pro - that's ancient.

If he is comparing the two, then they should be approximately the same speed (macbooktips.info/macbook-pro-13-inch-vs-macbook-air-13-inch/). The i7 will also be faster if he's referring to the Sandy Bridge chip.

Savapple
Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
Im comparing the Ivy Bridge chips, the 2.0 in the air and the 2.5 in the pro, turbo boost shows the 2.0 is faster. Thanks for you help!:)

slumpey326
Oct 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
Im comparing the Ivy Bridge chips, the 2.0 in the air and the 2.5 in the pro, turbo boost shows the 2.0 is faster. Thanks for you help!:)

yeah, I trying to figure out also if the top of the line 13in macbook air (i7) has a better processor than the base 13in macbook pro retina (i5). Dont both have now sandy bridge in them.

Savapple
Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
yeah, I trying to figure out also if the top of the line 13in macbook air (i7) has a better processor than the base 13in macbook pro retina (i5). Dont both have now sandy bridge in them.

They both have Ivy Bridge in them. Im looking at the same processors as you are :)

slumpey326
Oct 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
They both have Ivy Bridge in them. Im looking at the same processors as you are :)

sorry, I mean ivy bridge since that is the new one.

Wokis
Oct 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
Well if you're refering to the 13" MBP which has only dual core processors, then it's still better than the Ultra-low voltage i7 found in the macbook air.

You can find a techy comparison chart here (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html), where the i5 in question likely is the i5-3210M and the MBA i7 is the Core i7-3667U.

Though as you can see, the difference isn't that big.