PDA

View Full Version : Used to live

Imixmuan
Oct 23, 2012, 12:32 PM
...for Apple events like todays. Watched Steve introduce the Blue and White G3 live. Went to several keynotes at Macworld over the years. At Macworld 2005 I stood a foot from Steve in front of the Apple booth and spoke with him briefly.

Now, I could give a rats ass. Wake me up when its over, I'll read about it on my G4 tomorrow. 1699 for a 13 inch Macbook Pro with a Retina display? Seriously? I don't live in that rarified air anymore.

Who else is with me on this one?

MacinDan
Oct 23, 2012, 09:32 PM
Not exactly on the iPad Mini bandwagon, either. Who the f___ wants a huge iPhone that can't make phone calls?

bax2003
Oct 24, 2012, 02:04 AM
Not exactly on the iPad Mini bandwagon, either. Who the f___ wants a huge iPhone that can't make phone calls?

I want ultra portable multimedia device that a do not want to hold with two hands to operate. For web, YT, mail and icloud apps it is fantastic !

DrakkenWar
Oct 24, 2012, 02:15 AM
I was on the macrumors irc chat today when the keynote started. Being I did not feel like going up to my office for the feed, I stayed around on my PB for a play-by-play of those willing to watch..

I was not surprised and a bit saddened by what transpired. For Apple in all the juggernaut momentum they have gained in the last year. To not only turn their eye from the current market that is boosting their profit margins, but to find another rung in the pious ladder to bash the Fire? Are you kidding? Honestly? I heard rants and raves that if they dipped the price point of the iPad mini it would jeopardize the iTouch...

Well of course it would. I do not mean to burst your fan boy (fan girl) bubble. But to be honest? The iPod Touch has been a useless piece of profit generation. It's a damned iPhone that can't make calls without the help of skype and a wifi connect for hell's sake.

If Apple really wanted to get in the game, The Touch would be dropped. The iPad mini would have been dropped to a point where it would have made a damned difference. You can yell, you can scream that it would not be cost effective. Frankly I really do not care. Business breaks down to profit margins. Which means simply if what you are offering costs more than you ask? Market it in a way the brings the margin to a point of profit.Why the hell would you pay for the base line mini when you could buy a kitted out iPad 2 on Amazon for less?

I understand building it better, bringing quality to the masses. Apple has always strived to mesh hardware and do it better. But to be honest? The price points for what is now nothing more than comparable beyond a shinny screen and Thunderbolt? At least for me. A loyal mac-head for my years than I would like to admit I am disappointed.

That is it. That is the end of my rant for now. Feel free to flame, chastise, whatever you see fit. But on this one? I honestly think Apple got it wrong.

bengi
Oct 24, 2012, 09:39 AM
I only noticed the pletora of "amazing", "incredible", "fantastic" pronounced by Cook and Shiller. Actually Phil was more himself, while Tim tride to much to imitate Steve Jobs.

I do not comment the products, but really keynotes are no longer something that I enjoiy watching. My first keynote was during the SF Macworld in January 2000 and I was really shocked by all that energy and commitment.

Hrududu
Oct 24, 2012, 10:44 AM
As soon as Cook walked out like a hipster Spock, and opened his mouth I started to lose interest yesterday. Listening to that man speak is grueling to say the least. Just because he is the CEO does NOT mean he needs to present new products. Steve jobs was a fantastic public speaker who could get you excited about new developments and really make you believe that something fantastic was happening. I'd rather they just let Phil do the entire show. As far as hype goes, way blown out of proportion. This isn't the "most innovative iMac ever" Its the same one, minus some functionality that is thinner. The last time Apple introduced a product that actually impressed me was the original MacBook Air.

Imixmuan
Oct 24, 2012, 02:20 PM
that impressed me was the imac G4. When I saw the imac G5 I thought: Crap, the magic is gone, and they'll never get it back. Even the iphone and ipad were staid, boring and predictable. Now, that isn't to say they aren't magical, gobsmacking and useful to someone, just not me.

Apple is indeed a behemoth, a juggernaut as others have called it, the GM and Microsoft (combined) of our times. It's hardly the about to die company it was in 1997 when Steve returned. I was already planning my exit from the platform (a BeBox, HAH!) when that happened. One day I woke up and saw a rotating gif of the bondi blue imac on the apple website. I thought: Now that is fracking like it! I think 1997-2002 will be remembered as the second golden age of apple, perhaps the most innovative and creative period in its history, maybe the whole PC industry. And....

it was all PowerPC baby....