PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces Fourth-Generation iPad with Lightning Connector, New A6X Chip

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Oct 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apple-announces-fourth-generation-ipad-with-lightning-connector/)

Apple today announced an update to its full-size iPad (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/10/23Apple-Introduces-iPad-mini.html), upgrading its processor with a faster A6X chip and implementing the new Lightning connector that debuted with the iPhone 5. The new processor delivers up to two times the CPU and graphics performance of the prior chip, while maintaining 10 hours of battery life and the same design as the prior iPad.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/ipad4.jpg
The new iPad now supports many new international LTE carriers, as well.

The fourth-generation iPad comes in black and white with the same pricing and storage configurations as the third-generation iPad models, starting at $499 for the 16 GB Wi-Fi models and $629 for the 16 GB cellular models.

Pre-orders for the new iPad begin on Friday, October 26 through the Apple Online Store in the US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

The Wi-Fi configurations will begin shipping November 2, with the LTE configurations following two weeks later in the US, and then following in other countries.

Article Link: Apple Announces Fourth-Generation iPad with Lightning Connector, New A6X Chip (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apple-announces-fourth-generation-ipad-with-lightning-connector/)

Caliber26
Oct 23, 2012, 12:55 PM
So is it safe to assume there'll be no newer iPad next spring?? :confused:

bobright
How big of difference is the A5 chip to 6?

I feel like it was punched in the mouth with this update just got new iPad

Yetihunter
Huzzah. So I'm driving. Also.... So mini right?

Bathplug
Oct 23, 2012, 12:56 PM
iPad 3 already outdated.

winston1236
Oct 23, 2012, 12:56 PM
This quick update cycle is going make the ipads depreciate much faster now.

WeegieMac
Oct 23, 2012, 12:58 PM
Very angry, sorry.

I know my iPad does all the same it did, but I waited until the third gen, shelled out 649 for THE top end model, and it got 7 months on the market.

I play a lot of games, and my iPad is left behind before it even got a killer app.

Real Racing 3 ... *sigh*

Can't help but feel scunnered.

Spuddyboy
Really annoyed with the next gen iPad announcement. They could have at least waited a year to announce it after the iPad 3.

milo
iPad 3 already outdated.

And with competition starting to ramp up, that's exactly what they need to do.

Schmitty11
Oct 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
Now Shut.Up.

MaxxTraxx
Oct 23, 2012, 12:59 PM
Next time they decide to change the connecter, how about they do it at the same time?

Got to admit, sucks that the iPad 3 I bought is no longer the top of the line model.

jbachandouris
Oct 23, 2012, 01:00 PM
$399? I thought they started at $499.

basel411
Oct 23, 2012, 01:00 PM
Wow, this is a pretty fast move. Not really happy about it, just got myself an iPad 3

Yetihunter
Oct 23, 2012, 01:01 PM
They basically just announced everything they wanted to come months ago. Tech had production issues last yer and all.

Ballis
Oct 23, 2012, 01:02 PM
Love it. First time i felt it worthwhile updating since 1st gen.

milo
Oct 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
$399? I thought they started at $499.

I assume that's a typo, the live coverage said same pricing as before which is 499.

Gabik123
Oct 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
Really, 3rd gen already outdated...this is utterly rediculous. If I hadn't spent so much damn money on ipad apps already I would sell my ipad 3 and just leave them out to dry

Sardonick007
Oct 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
Not feeling amazed. So close, so very close with each sentence but in the end, just meh. A 4th gen iPad after I just bought the 3rd Gen? Really? Not getting another 800 bucks for a new connector and slightly faster chip. Maybe 5th gen, not this one.
Mini? With iPad 2 specs? Yea, it's cool, but not that amazing. I'm just feeling underwhelmed with all the updates, including my main one I was waiting for, the iMac. Maybe next update Apple.

smirking
Oct 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
Those of you who just bought the previously new iPad, you might be able to get a rebate. I don't know if it's still in effect, but I've taken advantage of a policy a few times in which I was able to get a rebate on something I bought within 14 days of the price changing. It's buried somewhere on their website.

Romey-Rome
Wonder when they'll stop making the 3 & sell out. Going to claim my drop coverage in 6 months or so...

bushido
no wonder those bitches called it the new iPad. they knew it all along! :P

tomjleeds
Oct 23, 2012, 01:09 PM
FFS.

I don't really expect any different, but this is the kind of thing that turns people away from brands to which they were once loyal. Not cool.

Diode
Oct 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
This quick update cycle is going make the ipads depreciate much faster now.

I leave you with this comic from The Oatmeal (http://theoatmeal.com/)....

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/header.png
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/1.png
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/2.png
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/3.png
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/4.png
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/end.png

newportbeach
Oct 23, 2012, 01:11 PM
Are you kidding me? Apple didn't earn many points in my eyes today. Bought an iPad 3 four months ago and now it is outdated :mad: Apple should start some trade in program or do something. LAME My kids wanted an iPad mini for Christmas - NO WAY - just wait six months and it will get the retina display.

dampfnudel
Oct 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
There was a rumor months ago that the 4th generation iPad would be released this year. Most of you guys dismissed it and to be honest I didn't believe it myself. However, when the lightning connector was announced, it made a little more sense that they could use that as a good reason to shift the release date of the iPad from March to October, which would be better for holiday sales.

I almost bought a iPad 3 over the summer, but decided to wait...just in case. I decided that if no 4th generation iPad showed up in October, then I would just wait until March. Now, I don't wait that long.:D

maccompatible
Oct 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
THE IPAD 3 IS NOT OUTDATED. The iPad 4 is just better. Nothing breathtaking.

chrisrosemusic1
Oct 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
I leave you with this comic from The Oatmeal (http://theoatmeal.com/)....

Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/header.png)
Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/1.png)
Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/2.png)
Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/3.png)
Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/4.png)
Image (http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/end.png)

HAhah, I ****ing love this comic - it's so true!!

On a side note, pretty pissed my iPad is only 7 months old and out of date.

Screw you Apple!

MacSignal
Oct 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
This is part of living with owning Apple products.

newportbeach
Oct 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
"The iPad 2 sticks around for $399, and new 4th-gen iPad with Retina starts at $499" - So the iPad 3 was basically a non existent product. NICE APPLE!

HarryPot
Oct 23, 2012, 01:17 PM
To be honest, I still don't find a reason to update from my iPad 2.

Romey-Rome
Oct 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
"The iPad 2 sticks around for $399, and new 4th-gen iPad with Retina starts at $499" - So the iPad 3 was basically a non existent product. NICE APPLE!

It is nice. If it's non-existent, then no spare parts. Applecare+ drop should get you the new model then? That or just tase it.

dampfnudel
Oct 23, 2012, 01:18 PM

That A6X is pretty powerful and the 720p HD front camera is a nice addition.

bobobenobi
Oct 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
HOW DARE APPLE RELEASE NEW PRODUCTS! MY IPAD 3 HAS INSTANTLY TURNED TO RUST. :mad:

Tingler
Oct 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
I guess I'll have to eat my words about them not introducing the 4th generation iPad so soon.

Yetihunter
Oct 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
See, at least I knew what I bought into with the "2012" Mac pro, so my empathy goes out to you , really.

chembox
According to Apple, the 3rd-gen iPad never existed (http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/).

Galatian
I bet all of those 3rd Gen iPad owners whining right now are the same ones who told me to just shut up when Apple decided to not bless the iPad 1st Gen with iOS 6...whiners are gonna whine...

Lindsford
Double post

sik08amg
Bs

dampfnudel

The iPad 3 kind of felt like a stopgap product, something to hold people over until the real deal arrived.

iphoneclassic
Our upgrade thread mill is twice faster now.

Newjackboy
Oct 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
Can't wait to see the detailed specs. If this is lighter than the ipad 3, then I'm in!

Big question now- surely there won't be an update next spring. Probably reverting to a October schedule from now on

What then do apple bring out in the spring time? Can't have such a large gap until WWDC in June

spazzcat

Agreed, still have an iPad2 and have no issues, not sure what all the whining is about...

QCassidy352
Oh cry me a river, ipad 3 owners. You got what you paid for, and it's no worse today than it was yesterday. This was a good move to get the iPad on par with the iPhone 5 in terms of performance and connector. If it's that big a deal, sell your old one and pay the difference ( not that I think it's worth it).

Blorzoga
A better FaceTime camera and less weight would have tempted me, but the only difference seems to to be the processor which honestly I don't think needs improvement.

Lindsford
People are complaining about them refreshing it? It's not as if its half the weight and screen is better. It's literally a minor spec bump with the additional lightning cable. Who cares? It you have an iPad 2/3 you should be happy. It's not the end of the world. I believe they made it so minor so people wouldn't feel as screwed over. Now if it was a complete redesign with better battery thinner/lighter etc. I'd be upset. But it's a minor spec bump at best: The world isn't gonna end because you only have a 3rd generation that'll still do ell the same tasks you used it for yesterday, today.

fatboyslick
Oct 23, 2012, 01:22 PM
Livid

This is a real kick in the teeth for those who bought iPad 3.
Are Apple going to do some kind of upgrade offer?

Blorzoga
Can't wait to see the detailed specs. If this is lighter than the ipad 3, then I'm in!

Big question now- surely there won't be an update next spring. Probably reverting to a October schedule from now on

What then do apple bring out in the spring time? Can't have such a large gap until WWDC in June

It appears to be exactly the same except for the chip and the connector. The specs are up on Apple.com

Mr Fusion
... Igzo?

jamesryanbell
I'm really not trying to be "that guy", but MAN am I glad I didn't pull the trigger on a 3rd gen. NOT SAYING THEY SUCK, but come on.....A6X. That alone outdates the 3rd gen in my mind....especially considering they're the same price. 8 months = mildly outdated. lol. Processing power is HUGE, especially considering that pretty much everything is dependent on it for speed.

Ok, I was "that guy". Sorry.

All of it is true though.

Battlefield Fan
Oct 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
I almost bought a iPad 3 over the summer, but decided to wait...just in case. I decided that if no 4th generation iPad showed up in October, then I would just wait until March. Now, I don't wait that long.:D

I heard the 5th generation iPad is coming out in March!!!!!!!111111

rlu929s
Well I agree that I feel a little ripped off. They won't get anymore of my money for the announced products. IPad 4 is not worth it for the minimal upgrades and as a way for them to force the new connector on me. I have too many old connectors devices as is.

iPad Mini....meh...not worth it. If I pick up reading books then maybe it might be a good add-on, but really that's about it.

Eduardo1971
Umm, maybe now I'll finally get my very first iPad.

Seem's like Apple may refresh iPad's in the future during fall season (which to me make's more sense).

slakjaw
Oct 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
I hated the iPad 3 and I thought it was a step down from the 2.

trilaemasu
A friend of mine dislikes Apple. Her argument is she dislikes the way they release an updated version every year an urge you to drop your older version and buy the new one.

I've always disagreed with her, saying that every company releases a new version approximately every year, they just don't get much attention when doing so.

I bought my first iPhone with the release of the 4. When the 4S came out, I didn't feel a need to upgrade. When the 5 came out, I kinda wanted it, but only because my 4 was showing its age. I never felt cheated with my 4.

This is the first time where I feel her dislike for Apple. 7 month refresh? I wouldn't feel anything had they slapped in the camera and the lightning connector. But tossing the new chip and image processor in it too? The only thing they didn't put in this version was a redesign.

And to keep the 2nd-gen as entry-level feels like they put out the 3rd-gen as a stop gap - like they didn't finish some of the things they wanted to put in the 3rd gen so they just pushed what they had and waited for this 4th-gen.

7-month shelf-life seems like way too short a time.

haydn!
Come on people, what you stressing out for? It's just a speed bump and a new connector. NOTHING MORE! My iPad 3 is only a few months old, I'm not bothered!

I mean, who seriously updates every time a new model comes out, simply because it's new? More money than sense - hence why you're probably getting worked up about this!

:rolleyes:

akm3

It's twice as fast.

jetlitheone
A better FaceTime camera and less weight would have tempted me, but the only difference seems to to be the processor which honestly I don't think needs improvement.

Facetime HD now... had a ipad 3 just sold it to might pay the difference and get a new one but im fine with my iphone 5

MacBookPro13"
7th Gen iPhone due in 6 months.

jmgregory1
Oct 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
Are you kidding me? Apple didn't earn many points in my eyes today. Bought an iPad 3 four months ago and now it is outdated :mad: Apple should start some trade in program or do something. LAME My kids wanted an iPad mini for Christmas - NO WAY - just wait six months and it will get the retina display.

Your iPad still does whatever you need it to - it didn't just stop working. No, it's not the latest greatest, but what does that really matter. If you have to have the new one, then get it and gift your old "new" iPad to your kids for Christmas.

I've done similar things with the iPhone and it's a great opportunity to get something new for yourself and give your kids what they really want. None of my kids ever complained about getting last year's model and I doubt your kids would complain either.

CristobalHuet
Apple glossed over the iPad 4 because it's just a stepping stone update.

Lightning and a faster chip. That's not worthy of its own keynote event. I own the iPad 3 and I hardly feel ripped off by today's events for the 9.7" iPad.

I fully expect we'll have another iPad come March. Apple won't go a full year without a major update to its iOS line.

burnside

Uhhh, until Apple says "this feature will not work with the iPad 3". So yes, it is not currently outdated, but with new apps and features it will be outdated before the iPad 4.

When people upgrade their device, they expect to get at least a year up on the previous releases. I would be pissed if I bought an iPad 3.

Xultar
Oct 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
If you bought AppleCare+ just wait a bit guys.

I don't see what the big deal is. Right?

Blorzoga
I'm really not trying to be "that guy", but MAN am I glad I didn't pull the trigger on a 3rd gen. NOT SAYING THEY SUCK, but come on.....A6X. That alone outdates the 3rd gen in my mind....especially considering they're the same price. 8 months = mildly outdated. lol. Processing power is HUGE, especially considering that pretty much everything is dependent on it for speed.

Ok, I was "that guy". Sorry.

All of it is true though.

Wow, you're a regular Nostradomus

jamesryanbell
Talk crap all you want.

The fact of the matter is that 3rd generation iPad is no longer top-of-the-line, and never will be again. It had a seven month "best one available" status, and now that's gone.

Everyone automatically wants the one with the best features - and they can get one at the same price, with a *much* better processor.

That's just the way it is.

DestroVega
Oct 23, 2012, 01:27 PM
Yes, everyone going crazy, it's the same item except the chip and the connector. They say wi-fi and processor speed is 2x as fast, if that's true, then wow. It's not really that big of a deal though considering I'm happy with the iPad 3. I'm actually more bummed my iPad 3 isn't lightning connector to match my iPhone 5. And that's just me being anal. If I could sell my iPad 3 for $500 (it's 32gb) I'd rebuy the new model but I doubt that's gonna happen. It's not the end if the world. Surprised they didn't wait though.

AlanFord
Well, didnt see it comeing.
Bought ipad 3 less then month ago. Now its been replaced with new one.
I still do believe its a great product, and its not that slower then new gen, connector is not an important issue, but new ios features could be soon supported with min a6 chips. Apple seems to love it last month, adding siri to just a5 chp and then drops the ipad2, powernap with just apple ssd and ect.
Dont mind the slower chip, but do mind that kind of politic.

eldo33
Love it. First time i felt it worthwhile updating since 1st gen.

heck ya...I agreed with you on this. I still got my 1st gen iPad. Now the mini is a good upgrade.

skywalkerr69
This is total crap, at least I can get my money back for the purchase of the new one. But why do I have to go through this crap every 6 months now? ugh

tremlock
Oct 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
iPad 3 in the Refurb store for $379

roop27
Oct 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
ipad 4th gen comes with isight...confirmed on apple website under compare ipads.

andyjam
I guess they thought it would piss people off less to update it now rather than waiting more than 12 months like they did when they wanted to adjust the iPhone release timelines, especially given this wait would have been 18 months rather than 15 months...

I'm not too bothered, but that's only because I got my iPad 3 as soon as it came out so it's not exactly brand new any more... Means I'll be able to justify getting the iPad 5 as soon as it comes out (after 18 months with my 3) rather than waiting 2 years...

Bheleu
Lineup: iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad (4th Generation)
Because this is the lineup, we get an iPad 4th generation for $50????

AZREOSpecialist
What a bunch of whiners! You are upset that a "newer" iPad was released after you bought yours? Guess what? That's how technology works. Since when does Apple or any technology manufacturer owe anyone anything when they introduce new models? Who ever guarantees the resale value of your depreciating technology?

I can't believe some of the sour grapes in here. If you are that upset, sell your iPad 3 and get a new one. Everything you buy is replaced by newer and better, so get used to it.

bushido
:mad: so now the iPad 3 will never get iOS 7 cuz they dont sell it anymore and they'll claim the hardware is dated ... just wait and see

thats why i replaced my iPad 2 with an iPad 3 in the first place, damn it. thats the ipad 1 mess all over again

Blorzoga
Skipped the 4S, will be skipping the NEW NEW iPad. No biggie. Actually couldn't care less about the chip upgrade.

Romey-Rome
Oct 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't call it a minor bump. My iPhone 5 is noticeably faster that my iPad 3. When I had the 4, I would reach more for the iPad, now my iPad barely gets used.

currentinterest
I have an iPad 3 and am quite happy with it. I am also happy Apple upgraded the iPad. I may or may not upgrade. I may buy a mini, though. I really like the weight for reading on the go, and the price for such a beautiful device is right.

Nikos
I ended up going through 12, yes TWELVE, iPad 3s within the launch month because of bad displays. I FINALLY got lucky with a good one from craigslist in July, after having given up for a while.

Not sure I want to get rid of this one just yet. I'm sure the 4th gen iPads will be plagued with the same uneven tint issues as the 3rd gen.

Drag'nGT
Oct 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
Very angry, sorry.

I know my iPad does all the same it did, but I waited until the third gen, shelled out 649 for THE top end model, and it got 7 months on the market.

I play a lot of games, and my iPad is left behind before it even got a killer app.

Real Racing 3 ... *sigh*

It always sucks when your newest toy is outdated. But you'll never keep up with technology. I hate to say it but you just never will. BTW, I'm in the same boat.

I tend to update every other product update. To avoid the minor tweak editions.

Navdakilla
I got my ipad3 on launch.
Love it,
have the iphone 5 now and these different connections are a little annoying.
No need for me to upgrade to the new ipad solely on new chip and connector. No software update will make the ipad3 obsolete for another couple of years. I'll probably upgrade next summer.

Romey-Rome
Lineup: iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad (4th Generation)
Because this is the lineup, we get an iPad 4th generation for $50????

That's what I was thinking...

Obsidian6
I fully realize that my iPad 3 is not suddenly useless, but I have to admit that it kind of stings to see it get a seemingly significant update in well under a year. This was my first iPad (and while I still love it, and will continue to do so) I really find Apple's way of doing things lately quite frustrating.

I know going on some rant isn't going to do anything for anyone, I just miss the old days of Apple (which sadly weren't even all that long ago).

I wish they still cared about their customers, it sure seemed like they did when I first got on board.

Oh well.

dampfnudel
Livid

Yes, just walk into a Apple store next month, hand in your iPad 3 and you'll walk out with a iPad 4.:rolleyes:

iLauren
Oct 23, 2012, 01:32 PM
Why are people saying that its okay if you have AppleCare + - what does it give you to help the situation?

Avalanche66
i wonder if Apple will exchange my iPad3 that i bought in May if i say its broken to the newer iPad 3....i already had a few issues with me iPad3 so they might right????

Eduardo1971
Livid

First World problems...sometime garners a sense of entitlement.

supertomtom
I find it funny how iPad 3 is now gone from the line-up yet iPad 2 is still in their official lineup.

I understand the need to update the connector and with the numbers dropped, to expect more incremental updates from here on. But they should have just dropped the iPad 2 and streamline it to just latest iPad and iPad mini. With the current line-up, people who bought iPad 3 will feel like they bought something that was quickly swept under the rug and forgotten.

munkery
Oct 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
Everybody complains about Apple's slow update cycle.

Everybody complains when Apple shortens update cycle for a product.

Either have to make those waiting to upgrade or those that choose to upgrade at last release pissed off.

Can't keep everyone happy.

Why doesn't this seem to bother consumers of other brands?

Mr Rogers
Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 PM
Purchased my iPad cellular 'used' for the price of the wifi model in July, now its very much outdated with the launch of the A6 equipped processor - further, just purchased a new cover for it after already investing in screen protectors and carbon skins.

A few thoughts, there's no doubt that the 'Retina' display is a vast improvement over the iPad2 display, no mention was made of memory, but we know the processor whizzes along - do I update and to what?

we'll I like Apple products and no doubt from a design angle both the iPad and iPad mini trump all Android devices - now, whilst i think I'll stick with the iPad3 for now, I still need something small for the kid, be it the iPad Mini, iPod Touch or, maybe even the revamped Nexus 7 expected next Monday.

Whilst I adore Apple products, the price of both the Touch and the mini at 64G seem steep and I'm not even thinking cellar for the mini - another huge leap in cost.

So, for now, what with all the product launches, I'll let it all sink in for a few days and away Google's news conference next week in New York.

Still, I was completely taken aback by the 4th Gen. iPad - no rumour site actually saw all this coming - no doubt Apple shares will soar, but sometimes I do wish they'd understand not all of us are part of the 1% - and judging by the MBP 13in Retina price, this would seem their target group.

UKBeast
Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
ipad 3 is only 7 months old and now it is outdated what a shame !

nobody wants to pay 500 dollars for a product that will be outdated in just 7 months.

They should respect the customers who made the them the top company of the world. I will not buy anymore iPad, now my 7 months old ipad 3 will not get ios7 or will get a cramped version of it..

If steve jobs was alive he would not let this happen.

jglonek
I don't understand all the hate about the new iPad coming out so soon. The only reason you could be mad is if you -have- to have the latest Apple product.

It's pretty clear that Apple wants the dock connector gone as soon as possible. And going through a holiday sales period with their flagship tablet using it was not going to work for them. So instead of just releasing the same iPad with the lightning connector they upgraded the internals as well.

The only difference is speed. And how many of you can say that you are maxing out the speed on your current iPad and that you absolutely need that increase? It's not any lighter. It's not any thinner. It doesn't have a better screen. So what's the big deal?

I bought the iPad 3 the day it went up for pre-order and I am perfectly fine with not upgrading it anytime soon. It does what I need it to do, and well.

emaja
Why are people saying that its okay if you have AppleCare + - what does it give you to help the situation?

It doesn't help at all. Apple replaces your broken iPad 3 with another iPad 3 of the same specs. You are not even allowed to change capacity. I've asked every time I've gone into an Apple Store and received the same response.

Now, SquareTrade is different as I understand it. They send you a check for the replacement value and you can blow it on coke and strippers if you want to.

gadget123
Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM

Well I hope October will be the new update schedule.

adam1080
Oct 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
well, I am glad i was holding out for the 4th gen. I was going to wait until March, but now I will prolly get the new new ipad.

Who knows if they will release a new one in march.

mixel
I've had my ipad3 for a month or so and I'm not sure the 4 would be any better at what I use it for anyway. (Mostly drawing, reading and media) Glad to see the spec bump really, good to keep up with the competition even if the average user won't be able to see a difference.

It'll make a big difference for some games though. :)

Skoal
I hated the iPad 3 and I thought it was a step down from the 2.

LOL WHAT? That's hilarious!

I bought a 3 and couldn't be more happy. In fact I'm enjoying typing this on it right now. While I'd like a 4 I'm in no way disappointed I didn't wait. The spec bump is not huge enough to make a difference to me.

Analog Kid
Same storage options?! Looks like I'm waiting for iPad 5...

malnar
This is CRAP TALK. The iPad 3 is now one generation closer to being obsoleted in terms of iOS upgradeability, which means it's that much closer to being outdated, period. Sure, it still "does what it did when we bought it," but so do lots of things that are outdated. That kind of talk is what blind fanboys say. This is not a good move by any means. This doesn't make me trust Apple any more than I ever have - I trust Apple less now because of this. Go ahead and buy the 4th gen iPad... see how you feel when it's replaced by the 5th gen in March, in FIVE MONTHS. Apple is on the verge of becoming exactly what they had made fun of in the past with Android - a company that starts rolling out new products too frequently.

I'll tell you what this does. It makes me think that next time I'm considering a new tablet, phone, etc, I need to reconsider my objection to Android and Windows devices. At least you know what you're getting into there. Apple hasn't typically stuck it to their buyers like this. Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

PBG4 Dude

They think in a few months they can smash their iPad 3, pay $49.95 and get a replacement iPad 4. It doesn't work that way though, Apple has plenty of iPad 3 spares. After all, AC+ is covering iPad 3s until at least 3/2014.

Hitch08
As the owner of a 1st gen. iPad, I am glad to see the specs on the newest gen. I'm thinking holiday gift. :D

malloryjones
Very angry, sorry.

Real Racing 3 ... *sigh*

Could not agree more! I hope there's a backlash. 6 months is ridiculous. They could have offered a rebate for an upgrade or something but no, just greedy.

Very angry!

bushido
I don't understand all the hate about the new iPad coming out so soon. The only reason you could be mad is if you -have- to have the latest Apple product.

It's pretty clear that Apple wants the dock connector gone as soon as possible. And going through a holiday sales period with their flagship tablet using it was not going to work for them. So instead of just releasing the same iPad with the lightning connector they upgrade the internals as well.

The only difference is speed. And how many of you can say that you are maxing out the speed on your current iPad and that you absolutely need that increase?

I bought the iPad 3 the day it went up for pre-order and I am perfectly fine with not upgrading it anytime soon. It does what I need it to do, and well.

i wouldnt call it pissed in my case, i'm more concerned that support will be dropped at this time next year because they dont sell it anymore and thats exactly what happened to the first iPad. the updated apple page makes me kinda sad, its like the iPad 3 never existed ^^

so here we are, basically stuck with an "filler" iPad

Mr Rogers
Oct 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
Forgot to add to my last post, only reason I went iPad was due to 'Retina display - thought both iPad 1 and iPad2 displays sucked when I checked them out initially - so really disappointed by 'Mini' display and may actually wait for the 'Retina' model and invest in the much touted N7 32G, and would certainly invest in the N7 if it came with 64G configuration and 3G.

goinskiing
Will be preordering mine when I can. Looking forward to the A6X on the iPad.

blackbear219
I have an iPad 3. I am not the least bit angry over this. You people need to take a chill pill.

First world problems, man.

Eduardo1971
...Now, SquareTrade is different as I understand it. They send you a check for the replacement value and you can blow it on coke and strippers if you want to.

Ahh, the most sensible and rational post in this thread.:)

master-ceo

Doesn't matter if the OS is still crummy and if the iPad mini has a A5. It won't be till the next iPad is release this time next year before we start seeing apps that take advantage of the A6 - A7xxx. Mark my words.

Be happy with your iPad 3. It's good for another 2 years.

Romey-Rome
Oct 23, 2012, 01:39 PM

Because the iPad 3 is out of the lineup, ant not likely to be produced in any capacity. AppleCare+ gives you accidental damage replacement for $50. "Whoops. I dropped it". No more iPad3? Then they give you a 4. That's the theory anyway, but you gotta give it time to clear out the old stock & refurbs.

mr.johnnyboy
Absolutely gutted!!

they dont even sell the ipad 3 on the website anymore, not even a trace of it, like it never existed!
so not happy with the 4th generation!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Irock619
There was a rumor months ago that the 4th generation iPad would be released this year. Most of you guys dismissed it and to be honest I didn't believe it myself. However, when the lightning connector was announced, it made a little more sense that they could use that as a good reason to shift the release date of the iPad from March to October, which would be better for holiday sales.

You buy one now and it will be outdated six months from now :D

malloryjones
Oct 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
I got my ipad3 on launch.
Love it,
have the iphone 5 now and these different connections are a little annoying.
No need for me to upgrade to the new ipad solely on new chip and connector. No software update will make the ipad3 obsolete for another couple of years. I'll probably upgrade next summer.

The 3rd gen ipad will quickly start to feel out of date. An a5x processor is just too comparatively slow.

I am not alone in being very angry with Apple for this move. Feel scammed.

nikhsub1
Oct 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
So if my now unavailable 3rd gen iPad takes a spill and needs to be replaced via AppleCare will I get an updated model? May have to see how it fairs off a balcony.

emaja
Oct 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
So if my now unavailable 3rd gen iPad takes a spill and needs to be replaced via AppleCare will I get an updated model? May have to see how it fairs off a balcony.

The question has already been answered - no.

uchosen
Livid

....Wow :rolleyes:

jdag
Livid

Yup...here are the details on the upgrade offer: Buy an iPad 4 for $499/$599/$699/$629/$729/$829...And you get to keep your iPad 3 at no additional cost.

Seriously...your iPad 3 is just as useful now as it was 2 hours ago before this announcement. Technology changes. New products replace past products (notice I used past, not old).

You have had use of the iPad 3, and if you decide to resell you will lose on that depreciation. But that's your choice.

iPads, or any Apple product and nearly every other consumer product, are not investments. No manufacturer owes it to the consumer to protect their long-term financial position!

You wanted an iPad...you bought an iPad...you used that iPad...enjoy it for many months/years to come.

iabacus
Oct 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
Was waiting patiently for the new iPad in march. Really wanted to upgrade from the 1st generation. I figured the forth generation would be about perfect, but they rushed it. I have a feeling the next one will be worth waiting for- thinner, lighter, igzo?

Another year of waiting while my first generation crashes on every website with too much embedded video. Damn!

malloryjones
Absolutely gutted!!

they dont even sell the ipad 3 on the website anymore, not even a trace of it, like it never existed!

Could not agree more!

whitesand
Wow...New ipad gets the A6X!!! DOUBLE the CPU and graphics performance as the A5X! Plus faster wifi!!!!

NICE!

BillChambers
I will never buy a apple product again. How dare they take 500 off me 6 months ago and then release a new ipad today. Tim Cook has just confirmed what a moron he really is does he really think he can con apples loyal fans. I will be selling my ipad 3 new ipad whatever its called to buy a windows surface. **** Apple raging

Eduardo1971
Oct 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
Could not agree more! I hope there's a backlash. 6 months is ridiculous. They could have offered a rebate for an upgrade or something but no, just greedy.

Very angry!

You do realize Apple is not a charity-it is a business and they have stockholders to keep happy. Progress moves at a rapid rate-it won't stop. I empathize with your plight but if you feel the way you do just resell your iPad and pay the difference.

Life is too short and to fragile to get this upset over an inimate object. Keep in mind that this is an object that you've lived most of your life without.

kirk26
Oct 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
I can't wait to get the new iPad.

dampfnudel
You buy one now and it will be outdated six months from now :D

Possibly, but I think it's more likely that this was just a release date shift from March to October and the 5th generation iPad will be released in October 2013.

jglonek
So the two major complaints are:

- It will get replaced in six months
- The iPad 3 is closer to not being supported by iOS updates

Both of which are pure guesses. We have no idea if there will be a new iPad in the spring, this could be it until next October. Remember that we went 18 months between iPhone releases, so it's not unprecedented.

As for support, the iPad 3 won't go anywhere until the iPhone 4S does. And with Apple still supporting the 3G I think you have awhile to go on that.

emulator
Absolutely gutted!!

$379 with a new outer shell
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC705LL/A/refurbished-ipad-with-wi-fi-16gb-black-3rd-generation?AID=10479833&PID=4485850&SID=npJeYB1BEeKMFlriAfNBtAdle_ibYE3_0_0_0

rrahimi
Oct 23, 2012, 01:45 PM

If you plan to keep it and use it yes. If you have plans to sell and upgrade, I got bad news for you.

ks-man
I really don't understand why iPad 3 owners are getting so angry about the release today. Even if they had waited until March to release the iPad 4, your iPad 3 would perform exactly the same for the next 5 months as it will now. Waiting for a March release would not make the iPad 3:

Faster
Have more capacity
Perform new features
Do anything different

Even if you claim that this will hurt resale value of the iPad 3 that really isn't logical. The resale value today of the iPad 3 will be the same as what it would be on the day of an iPad 4 release in 5 months.

The only reason it matters is if people wanted "bragging rights" about owning the best iPad for another 5 months which really is a pretty lousy reason to own a product. You should own it b/c you like what the product offers to you and nothing about that has changed with today's release.

Enjoy your iPad 3, it is a great product and as an iPad 3 owner I love the display and the speed.

rollzst
Very angry by this, it's no way to treat loyal customers, I really hope not many people buy the new iPad!

uchosen
I will never buy a apple product again. How dare they take 500 off me 6 months ago and then release a new ipad today. Tim Cook has just confirmed what a moron he really is does he really think he can con apples loyal fans. I will be selling my ipad 3 new ipad whatever its called to buy a windows surface. **** Apple raging

I see that this thread will provide me with some entertainment today :D

Yetihunter
I bought the first pricey power Mac ($3000 total, only a couple/few years apart from a below $1000 base price) two months before they dropped the intel bombshell. Boo hoo. That computer was supported for about a decade past it's lifespan. It's gonna be alright.

darkslide29
Because the iPad 3 is out of the lineup, ant not likely to be produced in any capacity. AppleCare+ gives you accidental damage replacement for $50. "Whoops. I dropped it". No more iPad3? Then they give you a 4. That's the theory anyway, but you gotta give it time to clear out the old stock & refurbs.

Interesting theory, but it seems like I could go to the Apple Store online and still buy refurb iPad 1's every once in a while, so they're definitely floating around.
Shouldn't we expect the same from the now-outdated 3rd gen?

Romey-Rome
Oct 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
The question has already been answered - no.

No, they obviously won't if they keep producing 3s or have plenty of stock, but why would they bother at this point if it's at the same price point? I think it's a tossup... You may have to wait until the 5 is close before they deplete all their 3 stock, but they'll have no choice but to upgrade you if they have no more 3s.

makeway
Oct 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
Assuming the iPad is now on a November schedule ... Apple just did us a huge favor by extending the usefulness of our current tablet for another 8-9 months.

malloryjones
Oct 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
You do realize Apple is not a charity-it is a business and they have stockholders to keep busy. Progress moves at a rapid rate-it won't stop. I empathize with your plight but if you feel the way you do just resell your iPad and pay the difference.

Life is too short and to fragile to get this upset over an inimate object. Keep in mind that this is an object that you've lived most of your life without.

Thanks. Oh I wouldn't call it plight, just irritation based on asking the Apple genius how long the product cycle lasts and being assured it is a year.

Eadfrith
And with competition starting to ramp up, that's exactly what they need to do.

No one else on here seems to realise this.

jmgregory1
I still have an '07 mbp with a broken screen and dented case - but it's still being used by my kids. It still does what they want/need it to do.

Point being, Apple's not going to drop updates for the "3" next year just because it's out of the line, especially given they are still offering the "2". The 3 will soldier on for at least a couple of year and those that are sporting the 3 can keep using and enjoying them with no disruption in experience. And if you just can't survive knowing there is a better one available, then sell or gift your 3 and get a 4. But be prepared that next year the 4 will see another update you're going to want and the cycle will continue.

Damn you Apple, damn you.

rockarollr
Livid

I concur. I'm pretty pissed, too. The "new iPad" only on the market for 7 months and rendered obsolete already? And, to those that say, "It hasn't been made obsolete, quit whining" - yes, it has been made obsolete. Soon, there will be apps and games that that will run on the A6X but will not run on the A5X. This time, it will happen sooner rather than the usual yearly cycle. The iPad's power and capability has changed... the connector has changed. Those are not "minor" changes. This "new iPad" will be much more "future-proof" than the one I bought only a few short months ago.

After spending $1,000 to get a 64GB, LTE "new iPad" not long ago, I now have to sit and wonder, "Do I really want to take a chance and spend that much of my hard-earned money on an Apple product again? Just so I can feel screwed only 6 months later?"

That's not a good assessment coming from a long-time Apple devotee such as myself. Imagine what the people in a similar situation, and with little to no loyalty to Apple, must be feeling right now.

VPrime
Oct 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
The ipad3 has too little ram for that retina display.. Apple did not bump up the memory to compensate for double the amount of pixels. when dealing with retina graphics you are extremely limited by this...

My guess with the a6x there is much more memory.. And because th ipad3 is not even available anymore most developers will be using the ipad4 as the technology to develop retina apps for.... Especially new apps and games.

people saying the ioad3 is not obsolete are wrong. You will notice VERY quickly that developers are going to take advantage of the new power and apps will no longer be available for the ipad3.

parafish13
Watching the haters hate here is the most fun I've had since...well...Mitt Romney's worldview last night.

Keep up the rage. There's always Microsoft.

tremlock
Absolutely gutted!!

refurb store

mozumder
Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
Hahah all the geeks are so pissed their iPad 3 is outdated.

Sorry, but Apple doesn't cater to geeks.

You bought your iPad because of its usefulness, not because of its tech specs.

You should not care about iPad 4's specs, because you can still read an iBook, surf the web, play games, etc, at the same speed as you used to do.

Seriously, tech geeks need to go away. Apple doesn't build devices for the sake of the device, they build it to get whatever use you need from them done.

The geeks have no idea why they even care about tech specs. The specs are the LEAST of your problems.

Romey-Rome
Interesting theory, but it seems like I could go to the Apple Store online and still buy refurb iPad 1's every once in a while, so they're definitely floating around.
Shouldn't we expect the same from the now-outdated 3rd gen?

Yeh, but they need to provide you an on the spot replacement. Pretty sure no Apple store stock 1s or 2s refurbs.

emaja
No, they obviously won't if they keep producing 3s or have plenty of stock, but why would they bother at this point if it's at the same price point? I think it's a tossup... You may have to wait until the 5 is close before they deplete all their 3 stock, but they'll have no choice but to upgrade you if they have no more 3s.

Yes, that is certainly a possibility, but I was really referring to people who wanted to pull this as soon as the new iPad launched.

So for now, the answer is still "no."

beg_ne
Oh the tears of the whiners are so delicious! Yes, yes give me more!

LOL Jesus people get a stick up their ass no matter what Apple does.

darkslide29
As an iPad 3 owner, I am glad to see that the new iPad mini has an A5 processor. This is because the iPad 3rd gen has an A5X processor, which means they can't make this chipset truly obsolete any time soon if they just launched a new product with it.
The time will come, but it would have been sooner had the iPad mini launched with an A6 or something.

master-ceo
Plus they have enough returned iPad 3's with pink screens for warranty returns.

Jibbajabba
Shops must be really pissed. Stock up, paying a fortune and only a few months later they have no chance but to drop the price..

Bloody stupid.

g0odfr1end102

Same here!

mozumder
Oct 23, 2012, 01:50 PM
If you plan to keep it and use it yes. If you have plans to sell and upgrade, I got bad news for you.

What's the point of buying it in the first place?

Real people don't buy tech products just to upgrade them.

dampfnudel
Very angry by this, it's no way to treat loyal customers, I really hope not many people buy the new iPad!

Thanks for the good laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

malloryjones

Not breathtaking? The processor is twice as fast. The difference between the iPhone 5 and the 3rd gen iPad is hugely significant. And now the NEW NEW ipad 4 is too.

mdwsta4
meh. Sucks that the iPad 3 was replaced so quickly, but it is what it is. I'm still happy with mine. Only thing I dislike is the fact I have to carry two connectors with me now to charge my devices.

While I have no interest in the iPad mini, I am hoping it will be the design direction for the next generation iPad. I'd love to get rid of the large bezel, prefer the overall case design, and of course, would like to be able to use one dock connector for all my devices while traveling.

iRabbit
I bought the first pricey power Mac ($3000 total, only a couple/few years apart from a below $1000 base price) two months before they dropped the intel bombshell. Boo hoo. That computer was supported for about a decade past it's lifespan. It's gonna be alright.

Smartest reply I've seen. Geez, and even though support for future software was finally dropped, they still work. My husband has two G5s in his studio that work just dandy all these years later.

First-world-problems... seriously people, get a grip. Tech companies upgrade their stuff all the time. It happens with computers, cameras, TVs, cellphones, etc. Your 3-6 month old iPad 3, hell your 3 week old iPad 3 still works just great, and what, 3 hours ago you were happy enough with it to be here watching the event.

If you're not ready to buy the 4th generation then don't. Enjoy your iPad 3 and wait for the 5th. Simple enough.

WeegieMac
Oct 23, 2012, 01:51 PM
It always sucks when your newest toy is outdated. But you'll never keep up with technology. I hate to say it but you just never will. BTW, I'm in the same boat.

I tend to update every other product update. To avoid the minor tweak editions.

I don't want to be "cool" and brag about "having the best" like some. I want value for money and I don't feel I got that now.

A chip does not go from R&D to testing to product in six months. The A6X was ready back in March, they could have held off another month and given us the true next generation iPad but instead gave us the "iPad 2 with Retina Display".

I was looking forward to Real Racing 3 and Infinity Blade Dungeons, games which will now be an inferior experience on the third gen iPad with focus shifted, prematurely, to the fourth generation model.

I know you can't keep up with tech, it is a game you cannot win, but I cannot help feel a touch conned. I was never buying a new iPad next year, but after 12 months on the market I could accept a refresh ... seven months though is tough to swallow.

Jibbajabba
I concur. I'm pretty pissed, too. The "new iPad" only on the market for 7 months and rendered obsolete already? And, to those that say, "It hasn't been made obsolete, quit whining" - yes, it has been made obsolete, so EFF you. Soon, there will be apps and games that that will run on the A6X but will not run on the A5X. This time, it will happen sooner rather than the usual yearly cycle. The iPad's power and capability has changed... the connector has changed. Those are not "minor" changes. This "new iPad" will be much more "future-proof" than the one I bought only a few short months ago.

After spending $1,000 to get a 64GB, LTE "new iPad" not long ago, I now have to sit and wonder, "Do I really want to take a chance and spend that much of my hard-earned money on an Apple product again? Just so I can feel screwed only 6 months later?"

That's not a good assessment coming from a long-time Apple devotee such as myself. Imagine what the people in a similar situation, and with little to no loyalty to Apple, must be feeling right now.

I largely agree - this is how PC builder feel all the time :)

Funkymonk
Lame. Damn you apple. Why couldn't they have the lightning connector and the a6 in the iPad 3?

emaja

The iPad 2 is still a very capable tablet. If what you use it for works as you want it to, there is no need to upgrade.

master-ceo
As an iPad 3 owner, I am glad to see that the new iPad mini has an A5 processor. This is because the iPad 3rd gen has an A5X processor, which means they can't make this chipset truly obsolete any time soon if they just launched a new product with it.
The time will come, but it would have been sooner had the iPad mini launched with an A6 or something.

Exactly. Folks need to stop crying. iPad 4 looks exactly like the 3 minus the connector and it's still a fatty.

rockarollr
Assuming the iPad is now on a November schedule ... Apple just did us a huge favor by extending the usefulness of our current tablet for another 8-9 months.

You'd be better off assuming that Apple just made our "new" tablets obsolete. That would be a more solid assumption. :mad:

uchosen
Watching the haters hate here is the most fun I've had since...well...Mitt Romney's worldview last night.

Keep up the rage. There's always Microsoft.

I absolutely love it :D

Anyone remember the anger when PowerPC macs were stuck at like 500mHz for so long? lol

2crazy
Oct 23, 2012, 01:52 PM

Maybe you can ask Apple to stop making new products for a couple of years :p

pianophile
Very angry, sorry.

Apple made no promises to you, and can't wait on your arbitrary timeframes.

The competition isn't waiting, and despite their lead, Apple can't afford to do so, either.

Mr Hill
Amazed at all the whining over this announcement. Your iPad 3rd Gen still works fine. If not having the absolute latest model is a big deal to you then just go ahead and put your 3rd Gen up for sale on eBay/Craigslist and use the money towards the 4th Gen.

I've personally been considering trying out an iPad 3 and loved the news of this announcement because it means the resell value of the 3rd Gen has immediately dropped and those who must have the absolute latest will soon be rushing to sell theirs.

milo
And because th ipad3 is not even available anymore most developers will be using the ipad4 as the technology to develop retina apps for.... Especially new apps and games.

Considering they're still selling the ipad 2 and now the new mini, I don't think there will be any shortage of apps and games for iPad 3.

Another factor is OS support. But again, with iPad 2 still for sale, that shouldn't be an issue either.

Paulyboy
iPad 3 owner here. I'm really not angry over this at all. I kind of expected this. I figured Apple would want to update all their products to the new Lightning connector as soon as possible. They probably really wanted that new A6 chip in an iPad as soon as possible as well since the performance boost is so dramatic.

For the now defunct iPad 3 I see two big positives:

1. You won't need any adapters and such to continue to use all your accessories.

2. There's probably going to be a whole bunch of iPad 3s showing up on eBay and craigslist and so on. I see a lot of people getting one hell of a nice tablet at a really bargain price. So there's going to be a really big opportunity here, and a rather unexpected one, for a lot of people.

At the end of the day this is how things generally work in the tech world. What you buy today may be 2nd best tomorrow. It certainly doesn't mean it's useless. So get over it.

-PN

pizz
Only 6 months later and theres a whole new iPad?? Glad I didnt buy the 3rd gen. or id be really pissed right about now!

bobobenobi
i'll tell you what this does. It makes me think that next time i'm considering a new tablet, phone, etc, i need to reconsider my objection to android and windows devices. At least you know what you're getting into there. Apple hasn't typically stuck it to their buyers like this. Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

tim cook should wait until *you* approve new products, amirite?

All technology advancements should wait for malnar.

CristobalHuet
Oct 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
Hello...

This "new" iPad consists of a Lightning connector and A6X chip.

Is that seriously, seriously enough to feel slighted by Apple?

Christ.

michaelz
Oct 23, 2012, 01:54 PM

It's only 2x faster in CPU an 2x faster in graphics. It's no big deal in iPad world. In PC world, it will be a huge improvement. Amazon still accepts iPad3 trade-in as high as $475. Do it now before price drops.

2crazy
You'd be better off assuming that Apple just made our "new" tablets obsolete. That would be a more solid assumption. :mad:

That's just silly. I am holding my iPad 3 in my hand right now, and it didn't explode or anything. If anything else, Safari feels a little snappier now! :D

The existence of a new model doesn't make yours obsolete.

bobobenobi
support will be dropped at this time next year because they dont sell it anymore and thats exactly what happened to the first iPad.

They stopped supporting the original iPad because it barely had enough power to have two tabs open in Safari, not because of the reasons you're imagining.

nickpro
Oct 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
Apple glossed over the iPad 4 because it's just a stepping stone update.

Lightning and a faster chip. That's not worthy of its own keynote event. I own the iPad 3 and I hardly feel ripped off by today's events for the 9.7" iPad.

I fully expect we'll have another iPad come March. Apple won't go a full year without a major update to its iOS line.
what i'm wondering about is will it be March or has Apple permanently shifted the update cycle to the Fall like it has for the iPhone??

i like Apple to be nice and predictable with its updates this is making me go gray LOL

DanteMann
Hello...

This "new" iPad consists of a Lightning connector and A6X chip.

Is that seriously, seriously enough to feel slighted by Apple?

Christ.

No, but it definitely just killed the resale value of an iPad 3. BAM!

WeegieMac
Apple made no promises to you, and can't wait on your arbitrary timeframes.

The competition isn't waiting, and despite their lead, Apple can't afford to do so, either.

*Yawn*

I know this, and none of your self righteous crap has ANYTHING remotely to do with what I was saying. I didn't ask Apple to work to my timeframes. We, as consumers, have long since worked to theirs ... and today they screwed those who bought a new iPad in March.

DDaddyx2
It's a tad annoying, but this is an iPhone 3GS/4S upgrade. Other than maybe being a bit pokier in some games, I don't think I'll be lusting after the 4th gen iPad to replace my 3rd gen.

I do give Apple a bit of credit for updating the iPad so those who buy it during the holiday season aren't jilted three months later when a new version come out....unless there is an iPad 5 on the way. :)

pear21
Oct 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
Booooo I'm upset about updating not an even year old product. It upsets me becuause it really hurts the resale value for when I want to upgrade.

bobobenobi

I know, right? Double the speed of the iPad 3 for the same price? What jerks!

2crazy
Only 6 months later and theres a whole new iPad?? Glad I didnt buy the 3rd gen. or id be really pissed right about now!

I still like my iPad 3. And I am glad that Apple is staying on top of the competition. If they wouldn't, all our iPad would be worth nothing in a few years ;)

karsten
Well I hope October will be the new update schedule.

makes sense, as it makes for perfect timing for christmas gifts, which i'm sure they're aiming for. it will boost sales

dampfnudel
I don't want to be "cool" and brag about "having the best" like some. I want value for money and I don't feel I got that now.

A chip does not go from R&D to testing to product in six months. The A6X was ready back in March, they could have held off another month and given us the true next generation iPad but instead gave us the "iPad 2 with Retina Display".

I was looking forward to Real Racing 3 and Infinity Blade Dungeons, games which will now be an inferior experience on the third gen iPad with focus shifted, prematurely, to the fourth generation model.

I know you can't keep up with tech, it is a game you cannot win, but I cannot help feel a touch conned. I was never buying a new iPad next year, but after 12 months on the market I could accept a refresh ... seven months though is tough to swallow.

Maybe the iPad 4 is the reason why Infinity Blade Dungeons was delayed. More developers are probably delaying their games to make sure their games are optimized for the best iPad, which no longer is the iPad 3.

darkslide29
They think in a few months they can smash their iPad 3, pay $49.95 and get a replacement iPad 4. It doesn't work that way though, Apple has plenty of iPad 3 spares. After all, AC+ is covering iPad 3s until at least 3/2014.

Correction: Until at least 10/23/2014 :p

Noisemaker
Oct 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
You whiners are pathetic.

Your iPad 3 still works just like it did five minutes before the keynote.

If the new specs are appealing? Sell your iPad 3 and buy the new one. If they're nice, but not needed? Give it a year and get the 5th gen instead.

You got exactly what you paid for. Technology moves forward, marching onward no matter what. Just because you bought something new and cutting edge, it doesn't give you the right to demand it to stay cutting edge.

Apple isn't going to keep their events scattered around indefinitely, and this was the perfect time for them to unify their keynotes. Keeping the iPhone/iPod keynote in September, and the Mac/iPad keynote in October. This gets everything out for the holiday season, and produces massive sales for them.

This is logic and progress. You can argue it all you want, piss and moan until you give in and buy the new product that you all absolutely will anyway, and all that nonsense. At the end of the day, Apple's stock will go up, their profits will increase, and they'll keep advancing their products every year.

st1y
Oct 23, 2012, 01:57 PM

do you have an iPad3?

CristobalHuet
Oct 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
what i'm wondering about is will it be March or has Apple permanently shifted the update cycle to the Fall like it has for the iPhone??

i like Apple to be nice and predictable with its updates this is making me go gray LOL

I can't picture this iPad going until next fall, but I could be wrong.

No, but it definitely just killed the resale value of an iPad 3. BAM!

Not as much as you might think, but sure. Apple doesn't care about stuff like that though. I always update my iPhone and iPad, but I won't be getting the iPad 4. Clearly an in-between update with no real value to those owning an iPad 3.

2crazy
I know, right? Double the speed of the iPad 3 for the same price? What jerks!

They are only doing it to upset certain individuals in this forum! :rolleyes:

Apple upgrading their products, how dare you Apple! *shaking fist*

UNMENINU
Just for yucks I went to gazelle to see what theyd shell out for a flawless 64GB Wifi + 4G... Ready? $350. Eat a d*ck. I understand why they updated but if they had true user loyalty they would have said F the holidays and waited until March for the mini and update. Post Steve Jobs era shows it'ts ugly face once again.

Eadfrith

Is this a joke?? :confused::confused:

Blorzoga
Facetime HD now... had a ipad 3 just sold it to might pay the difference and get a new one but im fine with my iphone 5

I stand corrected. I did not see that when I looked the first time. Might have to pull the trigger. Already booked with Gazelle for $550. Decisions, decisions...

Defender2010
Thankfully I returned my "new iPad" two weeks ago!! :) Much needed update!

irfan.kara06
Oct 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
Complete BS

malloryjones
iPad 3 owner here. I'm really not angry over this at all. I kind of expected this. I figured Apple would want to update all their products to the new Lightning connector as soon as possible. They probably really wanted that new A6 chip in an iPad as soon as possible as well since the performance boost is so dramatic.

For the now defunct iPad 3 I see two big positives:

1. You won't need any adapters and such to continue to use all your accessories.

2. There's probably going to be a whole bunch of iPad 3s showing up on eBay and craigslist and so on. I see a lot of people getting one hell of a nice tablet at a really bargain price. So there's going to be a really big opportunity here, and a rather unexpected one, for a lot of people.

At the end of the day this is how things generally work in the tech world. What you buy today may be 2nd best tomorrow. It certainly doesn't mean it's useless. So get over it.

-PN

Don't agree with your thought process. To replace a product in 6 months with such a superior processor is very upsetting for those of us who have purchased the 3rd gen in the last few months. Of course the 3rd gen is not useless but that is besides the point. The point is that the product is costly and is now carrying a 50% inferior processor which will ensure software slowdown in the coming months. Outrageous.

Vantage Point
I guess the bright side is that recent purchases will be returned and be available for a great price in the Refurb store. That is how and why I got my iPad2 for a great price of only $319.00 and no regrets.

If I was a iPad3 owner I would not be happy today.

Luiis81
Absolutely gutted!!

I don't understand why people are getting so angry? I bought an iPad 3 and i don't care if they update it now. I can understand if you just recently bought one then yeah, that would kinda suck.

But why would you get angry because your iPad isn't the latest anymore? It doesn't change your current ipad or how it functions... Or doesn't appear on their website? Who gives a *****? I purchase apple product because they are fun to use and this doesn't change that for me.

gri
Oct 23, 2012, 02:00 PM
7th Gen iPhone due in 6 months.

8th generation in December 2013!

jman240
Them keeping the iPad 2 on the market just baffles me. Want a slower cheaper iPad, get the mini. The specs delta between the iPad 2 and the 4th gen iPad is now huge.

macUser2007
Processor bump and everyone thinks the sky is falling. :rolleyes: It's all about the new connector and adjusting the product cycle to fall before the Christmas shopping season, anyway.

Apple really needs to get a larger iPad (closer to 12"-13") to compete better in the enterprise market. An integrated cover/keyboard ala the MS Surface would be a great addition, as well.

Maybe a larger iPad is what can fill the Spring event slot. :apple:

pizz
I think 6 months is the new product life cycle

emaja
I stand corrected. I did not see that when I looked the first time. Might have to pull the trigger. Already booked with Gazelle for $550. Decisions, decisions...

I did that too. The new iPad is easily worth the difference in price.

Prallethrin
Oct 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
I can kind of understand why they updated it though. The iPad 3's LTE only works in some countries. The iPad 4 remedies that.

Wonder if this is how they are going to upgrade the iPads from now on ... could explain why they drop the numbering.

Still who gives a crap if the iPad 3 is not the best anymore. You were happy when you bought it 7 months ago at its price. Nothing has changed, it still performs exactly as it did 7 months ago.

bushido
now i at least know how Android users feel every 2 months :D it aint pretty!

---

gotta be confusing to sell your 3rd non-existing iPad on ebay now as the iPad 4 is simply called iPad with Retina on the Apple Store. some people will prolly take advantage of it on eBay ^^

mr.johnnyboy
refurb store

go get yours from there

Richy23
I'm not whining, just asking! :P

Do we think there will be a new ipad next spring like usual, or is this it then?

Thanks

Bazooka-joe
I cant see why iPad 3 owners are getting so upset.

Its no different with a Windows desktop PC.
You go out, source the parts and build the machine and then 6 months later, its way out of date and you can buy twice the graphics and processor power at half the price.
Technology moves on and your Ipad 3 will still work so you dont have to upgrade.
I will upgrade and hand my 3rd gen down to my daughter.

beg_ne
Maybe the iPad 4 is the reason why Infinity Blade Dungeons was delayed. More developers are probably delaying their games to make sure their games are optimized for the best iPad, which no longer is the iPad 3.

Because obviously developers don't want their apps to run on the 100 million current iPads out there now. Just the 0 million of iPad 4s right?

olowott
Oct 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
I heard there is no ipad 3 in stock to buy, it just vanished :(

WOW:mad::mad:

aint nice apple though no one is gonna buy that again since the new one is out.:o

33man
Hmm as ipad 3 owner i feel a bit frustrated but the ipad does his job well...

But yeah, the model is also not anymore availe on the store !!! C'mmon !

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

:mad:

Well i think i will sell my 3 and get the new one just to use same ligthning port as my iphone 5...

Blorzoga
I did that too. The new iPad is easily worth the difference in price.

Gazelle is down to $350 now for the 64G Verizon. Within an hour.

csHokie
Oct 23, 2012, 02:03 PM
You all act like you've never bought electronics before... most are outdated almost immediately.

Prallethrin
Oct 23, 2012, 02:03 PM
so what is the "new" iPad gonna be called on ebay now? thats gotta be confusing as the apple page calls the "latest" iPad simply iPad with retina.

iPad 3? the older new iPad? the filler iPad? the iPad between the 2nd and the Retina iPad?

iPad 3 or iPad early-2012.

Foxykhat
Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 PM

Thank you!!! Geez I'm wondering why people are all over reacting.

I have iPad3 and I'm happy with it. Yes the update is surprising but...

Foxy

Noisemaker
Oct 23, 2012, 02:05 PM
Don't agree with your thought process. To replace a product in 6 months with such a superior processor is very upsetting for those of us who have purchased the 3rd gen in the last few months. Of course the 3rd gen is not useless but that is besides the point. The point is that the product is costly and is now carrying a 50% inferior processor which will ensure software slowdown in the coming months. Outrageous.

No. It's not outrageous. Just because you bought a product, it doesn't mean that the world will stop until YOU decide that it's worth it.

We're talking about a few months early for the update. That's it. If this had been announced in February or March? All you people bitching your brains out would be proclaiming about what a nice update it was.

The processor in the iPad 3 is still totally functional, and I guarantee that all those complaining would upgrade before it becomes "inferior". It will still run the top games amazingly, still push the limits of the retina display, and all that stuff that it did yesterday.

All this whining amounts to is a bunch of spoiled children throwing tantrums because the neighbor kid got a cooler toy than the one they got a few months ago.

emaja
Oct 23, 2012, 02:06 PM

WOW!

I put it up with Gazelle with the idea of selling to them if the upgrade was worth it. Once you submit the request they are locked in for that price, but you are under no obligation to sell it.

I had no idea they would drop so quickly though.

mr.johnnyboy
I don't understand why people are getting so angry? I bought an iPad 3 and i don't care if they update it now. I can understand if you just recently bought one then yeah, that would kinda suck.

But why would you get angry because your iPad isn't the latest anymore? It doesn't change your current ipad or how it functions... Or doesn't appear on their website? Who gives a *****? I purchase apple product because they are fun to use and this doesn't change that for me.

who are u? Steve jobs?

im gutted cuz its twice as fast at the same price not even 6 months after. i was happy with the one year cycle

kup1986
I made it to page 5 before I decided to post. Look guys, it sucks about the iPad 4 being out, but claiming it's 1 generation from being out of date probably isn't true. Remember, the iPad Mini and 2 are both still on sale, and both have lower specs than the iPad 3.

Apple wouldn't allow iOS 7-8 upgrades on an older product while negating the upgrade cycle for something newer (meaning, the iPad 3 would receive the same updates as the 2 and mini).

bushido

only $350? what the heck, i still got 400€ for my 32GB iPad 2 wifi only on ebay a few months ago

sure as hell not gonna sell my ipad 3 32 GB 4G with anything below the 32 GB wifi only price anytime soon

ilmman
Don't really get what the fuss is about?

We all knew that the iPad was going to get revision for the dock connectors and LTE for international people as most of us can only get 3G. So they decided to buff up as well and it makes your product feel inferior? Even if they had announced it 6 months later you still be using the iPad 3 (unless of course you upgraded) so basically it just feels of little difference.

Even if you feel bad, on the bright side next years model has to be improved upon the iPad 4th gen, rather than getting it next year ....ey?

eY?

idkew
nearly every one of you posting above is a whiney bitch. plain and simple. you are so focused on appearance that you actually believe that because there was an updated product, your current product no longer will do what it did yesterday because it is not the newest and best.

grow up you little kids.

synergy
Oct 23, 2012, 02:07 PM
I fully realize that my iPad 3 is not suddenly useless, but I have to admit that it kind of stings to see it get a seemingly significant update in well under a year. This was my first iPad (and while I still love it, and will continue to do so) I really find Apple's way of doing things lately quite frustrating.

I know going on some rant isn't going to do anything for anyone, I just miss the old days of Apple (which sadly weren't even all that long ago).

I wish they still cared about their customers, it sure seemed like they did when I first got on board.

Oh well.

If you stopped buying their stuff they will care. Of course there have to be a lot of people doing that too. . .

mp0890
Oct 23, 2012, 02:07 PM

You're right, the iPad 3 is non-existent. It was the "new iPad" for a reason. The 4th gen is late-2012, the 3rd is early 2012, just like computers. Unless you buy a new computer every time your model is updated, it shouldn't be an issue.

Bocheememon
Oct 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
Wow, that was fast!

I bought the iPad 1 in November of 2010 knowing that March was around the corner. I also felt like the iPad 1 was too first generation. I wished it had a front and back camera...but I gave into the hype of owning one.

I usually try to avoid first generation Apple products because of past experience with first gen, feature wise.

The iPad HD came out and I had a feeling that its power was good enough to power the display but not as much power as the A5 provided to the iPad2. That was a very short product cycle! iPad4 is now similar to the iPad2 in spec build.

For the Mini, I feel like it was put out there to show what they can do and keep competitive. A lot of items have moved to Retina. The Mini may get Retina the second generation...maybe.

I couldn't wait when I got first gen. The 4 would be the right buy...although with all this chamfered edge talk, the 5 might be the one to really get, if looks matter. Probably the usual 'thinner' deal with legendary battery life. Life is short like electronic products so I suppose it doesn't matter when something is purchased if it makes one happy. I was happy with the iPad1 and use it everyday. I like the updates to the iPad HD.

iEvolution
Oct 23, 2012, 02:09 PM
No. It's not outrageous. Just because you bought a product, it doesn't mean that the world will stop until YOU decide that it's worth it.

We're talking about a few months early for the update. That's it. If this had been announced in February or March? All you people bitching your brains out would be proclaiming about what a nice update it was.

The processor in the iPad 3 is still totally functional, and I guarantee that all those complaining would upgrade before it becomes "inferior". It will still run the top games amazingly, still push the limits of the retina display, and all that stuff that it did yesterday.

All this whining amounts to is a bunch of spoiled children throwing tantrums because the neighbor kid got a cooler toy than the one they got a few months ago.

Easy for you to say when you aren't the one that just shelled out $900 on the top of the line iPad 3 a few months ago now is it? Its a lot different being outside of the window looking in rather than being inside looking out.

The A6 is nearly three times as powerful as the A5, this means that this device just shortened the life span considerably for the iPad 3 (A5X).

Though I must say its nice to see the iPad finally getting top of the line processing power WITH the iPhone instead of getting put on the back burner vs the iPhone.

I really feel bad for the first gen iPad users. They upgraded to the iPad 3 thinking they'd get decent life with it only to get the shaft again. The iPad 1 was pathetic to start out with.

It also further complicates things. People aren't going to want to buy the next generation iPad because they'll fear they'll be outdated in 6 months. Who wants to spend as much as the asking price of the iPad just to have it be outdated again? Its one thing to change the connector, maybe the camera but its quite another to change to a processor 3 times faster.

st1y

Yah, i don't think so... Now that would really be a slap in the face if four months from now they come out with another new iPad... all the people buying the 4th gen would def. be pissed...

TM WAZZA
I'm not really pissed off that they announced this iPad 4 since I don't even have an iPad 3. And I'm actually planning to be getting the newer iPad in March when it was supposed to be announced.

I'm just confused. It makes no sense. Should've waited for March.

EdwardC
Oct 23, 2012, 02:10 PM
I have an iPad 1 and decided that it was time to buy a new iPad so...... I went out and had the choice of a iPad 2 for $ 359.00 new or the iPad 3 for $ 499.00, quite honestly the 3 doesn't do anything that the 2 did and yes the display is nice but I was buying one for my wife and myself so I picked up the 2's. Now that being said does the 4 really do more than the 3?? I seriously doubt too many users need the additional speed that the 4 offers so be happy with what you have and enjoy it!!!!

BigJayhawk
I can't believe it!!!

I just bought a Sports Illustrated Magazine and now I find out there is a NEWER MODEL coming out. Next thing you are going to tell me is that my Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition will BE OUTDATED NEXT YEAR???

Sheesh!

I suppose MY CAR will have a new model next year and I will have to put my current one on CRAIG'S LIST!!!

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE WHINERS ON HERE demonstrate why the 1 PERCENTER talk is just CRAP. The U.S. is successful largely because of the 1% that succeed in this country. IT IS FAILING because of the HUGE PERCENTAGE of idiots in this country that just want to ACT LIKE they are ONE PERCENTERS when they are not.

HELLO!!!???!!!

malloryjones

Wow, you sound like a religious zealot. Only your religion is Apple. Never mind.

ck2875
"The next big thing is already here." -Samsung, applicably quoted out of context

snow blind
I heard there is no ipad 3 in stock to buy, it just vanished :(

WOW:mad::mad:

aint nice apple though no one is gonna buy that again since the new one is out.:o
Yeah this is what i'm questioning. I believe Apple saw the 3rd generation as a mistake of sorts and wanted to bury it with (what they should have done in the first place) the 4th generation. The 3rd gen is gone... no price drop for the older tech... no replacing the ipad 2's position. Just disappeared.

Photogdave
Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
You guys kill me. All the people so pissed off because they can NO longer say they own the top of the line, newest iPad.
Thats SO STUPID!!!! You bought an iPad 3. It works just as good now as it did when you bought it.
An announcement of an update does nothing to render it less of a product.
If you bought an iPad 3 for the sole purpose of saying "I own an iPad3, its the newest and best Apple sells".....well then you got what you deserved for being so shallow and materialistic. Learn to wait for the updates that matter to YOU instead of trying to be on top, or "Keep up with the Jone's"

Thats the sole reason i haven't bought one yet. I cant see why I should spend $500 on a bigger iPhone. Really, thats what it is. Its a bigger iPhone.
Its nice to view games and movies on, but I have a laptop, so whats the point.
But hey, I don't just throw my money around for the sake of saying, "I own this or or that"
Thats what all you are crying about. "I bought an iPad 3 6-months ago and now they release an update, so now mine is not the newest and outdated"
Boo hoo!

Stop whining over stupid crap, learn to be thankful for what you have. You own an iPad 3 damn it. And you probably have an iPhone, and a Mac Book too. God help any of you if something happens and you cant always have all the newest, best toys. You'll be throwing yourselves off bridges left and right.

That said, I think it was a nice update.
For those of you who havent seen benchmark testing on these newer processors like one in iPhone, they are a great deal faster.
iPhone 5 has tested repeatedly way ahead of iPad3 and all other phones on market.
I bet this new processor will put it miles ahead in graphics etc than anything else out there in Tablet.
New Facetime cam is nice too.
No its not worth ditching a 3 just to get those things, but if you really want it, sell and pay difference.
But its great for those who chilled and waited and can now buy this at same price as 3 yesterday.
Good for me, this will make a great Christmas gift for the mother in Law who has killed 4 PC Laptops with Facebook Games. Itll be perfect for her.
And she can now Facetime in 720 with me on my new iPhone 5 next month.

VPrime
Oct 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Considering they're still selling the ipad 2 and now the new mini, I don't think there will be any shortage of apps and games for iPad 3.

Another factor is OS support. But again, with iPad 2 still for sale, that shouldn't be an issue either.

The iPad 2 And mini do not run at retina.
For a retina display you need double sized images..

Currently a lot of games designed for retina are actually running at a lower resolution than the retina display... It's usually 1.5x times the standard display. This is because the retina ipad3 is too underpowered to run the games at the native retina resolution.
Another sacrifice is certain graphics are not doubled... sometimes GUI graphics are retina, then things like textures in the game world are the standard resolution.
IPad 3 games are also using less effects sometimes. Again because of the less memory.
There was an article on this with examples a few months back..

With the ipad4, there will be non of these issues (assuming there is more ram..l double the ipad2 and 3).
Graphic rich apps and games can take advantage of the display and actually run at retina resolution with out any slow downs. They can run textures at a higher res and look crisp.

The ipad3 was too underpowered in the ram department, and with apple completely discontinuing it developers will move on to take advantage of the latest hardware... The only retina device available will be ipad4 so that's what they will build for.

IPad2 (and mini) will last longer end be more supported for apps than the ipad3.

jazzguitar
Oct 23, 2012, 02:12 PM
Dear God some of you are such whiners! Here's a newsflash: you don't have to always have the newest device! If yesterday you were happy with the iPad you bought 6 months ago how does this change things?! Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to upgrade. You should know by now that current technology won't be new and cutting edge forever, I applaud Apple for getting competitive.

dampfnudel
Oct 23, 2012, 02:12 PM
Because obviously developers don't want their apps to run on the 100 million current iPads out there now. Just the 0 million of iPad 4s right?

Don't be dumb. Of course they want their games to run on current iOS devices. It's just some of them will delay their games to run even better/look better on the updated hardware of the iPad 4.

neuropsychguy
Oct 23, 2012, 02:13 PM

Yes, for $500 you can upgrade your 3rd gen iPad. :rolleyes:

WeegieMac
The iPad 2 And mini do not run at retina.
For a retina display you need double sized images..

Currently a lot of games designed for retina are actually running at a lower resolution than the retina display... It's usually 1.5x times the standard display. This is because the retina ipad3 is too underpowered to run the games at the native retina resolution.
Another sacrifice is certain graphics are not doubled... sometimes GUI graphics are retina, then things like textures in the game world are the standard resolution.
IPad 3 games are also using less effects sometimes. Again because of the less memory.
There was an article on this with examples a few months back..

With the ipad4, there will be non of these issues (assuming there is more ram..l double the ipad2 and 3).
Graphic rich apps and games can take advantage of the display and actually run at retina resolution with out any slow downs. They can run textures at a higher res and look crisp.

The ipad3 was too underpowered in the ram department, and with apple completely discontinuing it developers will move on to take advantage of the latest hardware... The only retina device available will be ipad4 so that's what they will build for.

IPad2 (and mini) will last longer end be more supported for apps than the ipad3.

iPad 3 has 1GB of RAM, iPad 2 has 512mb.

Audioholic
I wanted to buy an iPad some weeks ago, but didn't because of 4th generation rumours. Glad I did!! But I still won't buy one now..

A6X processor is great news, certainly. Lightning? Don't care much. Improved camera and ISP? Would have been using my iPhone 4S, doesn't look pathetic and is more portable.

The reasons I still won't buy one though?
Weight wasn't reduced, it's not slimmer, heat issues with an A5X? O, lord what might an A6X do..?

But the main reason is I really want an iPad with the new iPhone 5/iPad Mini Slate shell. So much more prettier than the current silver back. Look at the Slate Mini how beautifully the front and back are one! I hope/bet/anticipate this design will transfer to the 5th iPad generation as well.

So, I take my chances and wait for March 2013 (hopefully).
Let the part leaks surface!

maccompatible
Oct 23, 2012, 02:14 PM
do you have an iPad3?

Yes I do. And it does everything I need as quickly as I need it to. Also, I'm not upgrading to the iPhone 5 to avoid lightning as long as I can, so I'm glad I have a 3rd gen iPad that matches.

darkslide29
Oct 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah this is what i'm questioning. I believe Apple saw the 3rd generation as a mistake of sorts and wanted to bury it with (what they should have done in the first place) the 4th generation. The 3rd gen is gone... no price drop for the older tech... no replacing the ipad 2's position. Just disappeared.

The iPad 1 was also replaced by the iPad 2, no price drop for the older tech. It just disappeared.
They did not consider the iPad 1 to be a mistake.

Carmenia83
Oct 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
I'm just annoyed because of resale value. I haven't been happy with ipad 3's weight/heat/battery life and was gonna sell it when ipad mini came out. Now that there's a 4th gen, I won't even get enough for this one to break even on a mini. Guess I'm the idiot for not selling it yesterday lol.

craig1410
Oct 23, 2012, 02:16 PM
Jeez, what a bunch of spoiled kids! Seriously guys, lighten up! :p

I got an iPad 3 on launch day and have had 7 months of daily use out of it so far. Guess what? It will continue to provide many more months of daily use regardless of the existence of the 4th gen iPad announced today! Would I like a 4th gen iPad? Yes of course I would. Will I be buying one? No I won't.

Apple have made some significant innovations lately with their manufacturing processes, custom A6 CPU design, batteries, screens, wireless radios etc. and you guys should be happy to see that innovation come through into their products. They could just as easily sit on their hands and let the competition overtake them. Would that make you lot any happier?

Apple were pushing the envelope of what was possible with the iPad 3 but what else are/were they supposed to do? Should they have not released the iPad 3 at all and waited until now instead? The press and stock market would have slaughtered them. Should they sit on their hands and wait until March 2013 when they are in a position to release a new generation? Should they continue to sell the iPad 3 with the old dock connector for another 6 months? Have you guys even thought about any of this?

I don't have any inside info on the decisions which Apple have had to make recently but given what I do know, I don't see what other decision they could have made. The iPad 3 is not obsolete, not even close. Apple's entire line of latest mobile products are now using the new dock connector. The iPad is better aligned with the holiday buying season. The competition are held in check for a while longer and anyone buying an iPad now will enjoy an even better experience!

So FWIW, my advice is to enjoy your iPad 3 and forget all about the iPad 4. Be happy for those who are about to buy an iPad 4 or iPad Mini and be happy that Apple are continuing to innovate.

/sermon-over

:D

AppleInLVX
You have had use of the iPad 3, and if you decide to resell you will lose on that depreciation. But that's your choice.

iPads, or any Apple product and nearly every other consumer product, are not investments. No manufacturer owes it to the consumer to protect their long-term financial position!

You wanted an iPad...you bought an iPad...you used that iPad...enjoy it for many months/years to come.

All true. It's also my choice if I want to support Apple and line their pockets.
Part of the reason I buy their stuff is because I feel like I'm buying a certain level of security on my investment. Of course you're right in saying that no manufacturer owes consumers a thing. However, Apple has, for the past decade, developed a reputation as the rare manufacturer who DOES care about this stuff, and that's why I buy into it. They are no longer living up to that. First they don't support airplay mirroring in Snow Leopard for machines that aren't even 2 years old. Then they rev the iPad 7 months after the last iteration. Then they release an iPad mini with a non retina screen that you KNOW will be revved to retina inside of a year. It's stopped being about creating awesome products for customers. More and more, it's about the cash grab. I pay more for Apple stuff because it's awesome, and I can count on it lasting. Slowly, that's becoming less true, and slowly, I'm less inclined to give them my cash.

Does anything today make my iPad 3 less usable? No, of course not. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't upset about it, but at the end of the day you're right... no difference. On the other hand, I remember a day where I looked forward to Apple events and wanted to spend my money on awesome stuff. I fear those days are done. Apple gets nothing from me this time around, and worse for them, they've also lowered my opinion of them.

st1y
The way I look at thing is...

Everyone can talk about how its just a spec bump... but no one has an iPad 4th gen yet... for all we know, it's going to kill all the other iPads like how the iPhone 5 kills the 4S...

it sucks cause we have an expectation for Apple to release a new product every year... many will feel betrayed... I personally still feel betrayed when they changed it to the lightning...

Mrg02d
Oct 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
Aside from gaming, what is the A6X good for over the A5X? My iPad 3 is plenty fast and smooth.

The ipad3 will get plenty of iOS updates anyways. Who wants HD FaceTime without a super fast Internet connection and a very photogenic face?

At this point, only benchmarks will see the benefit.

beg_ne
Oct 23, 2012, 02:17 PM

LOL sorry, you're just making up excuses to be ********. No OS update will "slow down" until mayyyyybe iOS 7 -though i doubt it as iOS typically works perfectly fine on the previous gen of hardware. iOS 7 won't be out until next fall with the new iPhone.

As for developers, they have to target iPad2/3 level devices as their primary market. You can't ignore 100 million users, plus all the new mini users because you have no market to sell your apps to if you focus on iPad 4 at this stage.

bushido
Oct 23, 2012, 02:18 PM

indeed i feel like i bought an prototype now and they rushed it out this spring

heating issues, slow charging etc. and now the device has vanished off the earth ... filler iPad

darkslide29
Dear God some of you are such whiners! Here's a newsflash: you don't have to always have the newest device! If yesterday you were happy with the iPad you bought 6 months ago how does this change things?! Nobody has a gun to your head forcing you to upgrade. You should know by now that current technology won't be new and cutting edge forever, I applaud Apple for getting competitive.

The problem is we visit this site so much to hear about the latest and greatest, it's hard to resist buying the latest and greatest. Or to stay calm. lol. :o

dampfnudel
I wanted to buy an iPad some weeks ago, but didn't because of 4th generation rumours. Glad I did!! But I still won't buy one now..

A6X processor is great news, certainly. Lightning? Don't care much. Improved camera and ISP? Would have been using my iPhone 4S, doesn't look pathetic and is more portable.

The reasons I still won't buy one though?
Weight wasn't reduced, it's not slimmer, heat issues with an A5X? O, lord what might an A6X do..?

But the main reason is I really want an iPad with the new iPhone 5/iPad Mini Slate shell. So much more prettier than the current silver back. Look at the Slate Mini how beautifully the front and back are one! I hope/bet/anticipate this design will transfer to the 5th iPad generation as well.

So, I take my chances and wait for March 2013 (hopefully).
Let the part leaks surface!

You'll be waiting until October 2013 for the 5th generation iPad.

pizz
Oct 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
Just buy it now in 6 months u can sell it and still keep most the value

maccompatible
Oct 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
This is CRAP TALK. The iPad 3 is now one generation closer to being obsoleted in terms of iOS upgradeability, which means it's that much closer to being outdated, period. Sure, it still "does what it did when we bought it," but so do lots of things that are outdated. That kind of talk is what blind fanboys say. This is not a good move by any means. This doesn't make me trust Apple any more than I ever have - I trust Apple less now because of this. Go ahead and buy the 4th gen iPad... see how you feel when it's replaced by the 5th gen in March, in FIVE MONTHS. Apple is on the verge of becoming exactly what they had made fun of in the past with Android - a company that starts rolling out new products too frequently.

I'll tell you what this does. It makes me think that next time I'm considering a new tablet, phone, etc, I need to reconsider my objection to Android and Windows devices. At least you know what you're getting into there. Apple hasn't typically stuck it to their buyers like this. Very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

I don't understand, though. They're still selling new iPad 2s. I'm pretty sure the iPad 3 will be supported longer than the iPad 2. So what about the people buying iPad 2s now? Should they be worried about obsolescence any more than me?

Another point. If you were happy with the iPad 3 when it came out, as I was, you would buy it. If not, you know apple will release a new one in a year. Assuming you waited, you should be thrilled it wasn't long until a refresh. If you didn't wait, chances are you don't care, like me, because it still will be supported for a long time down the road. A LONG time. It'll probably break before it becomes obsolete.

And another idea, quit calling names. I'm not a fanboy. You have no right. How dare you?

WeegieMac
Oct 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
How hard is it for some to comprehend that not all of us are complaining because we want to say we have the best. I'm not that naive or vain.

I am worried from a support point of view. My device has been DISCONTINUED after 7 months of sale. High end apps (games) will be a huge issue going forward.

jonnysods
Oct 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
Meh. Still loving my 3.