PDA

View Full Version : Apple Introduces New 7.9-Inch iPad Mini Starting at $329

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Oct 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apple-introduces-new-7-9-inch-ipad-mini/)

As rumored, Apple announced the new iPad mini (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012/10/23Apple-Introduces-iPad-mini.html) at today's media event. The device features a 7.9-inch display with a resolution of 1024x768 pixels, measures just 7.2 millimeters thin and weighs 0.68 pounds.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/ipad_mini_promo.jpg
Internally, the iPad Mini (http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini) has a dual-core A5 processor, a Facetime HD camera on the front and a 5-megapixel camera on the rear, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi connectivity, and 4G LTE cellular connectivity in some models. Despite its smaller size, the iPad mini still offers up to 10 hours of battery life."iPad mini is every inch an iPad. With its gorgeous 7.9-inch display, iPad mini features the same number of pixels as the original iPad and iPad 2, so you can run more than 275,000 apps designed specifically for iPad," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "iPad mini is as thin as a pencil and as light as a pad of paper, yet packs a fast A5 chip, FaceTime HD and 5 megapixel iSight cameras and ultrafast wireless-all while delivering up to 10 hours of battery life."With the same resolution as the iPad 2, all existing iPad apps that work on the older iPad 2 will work on the iPad mini without any need for developers to make modifications to their existing apps.

The iPad mini starts at $329 for the 16 GB Wi-Fi model, with the 32 GB Wi-Fi model priced at $429 and the 64 GB Wi-Fi model coming in at $529. The models with cellular capability cost an additional $130. All models are available in the same black/slate and white/silver color schemes seen on the iPhone 5.

Pre-orders for the iPad mini will start on Friday, October 26 with the Wi-Fi models shipping on November 2 and the cellular models starting to ship two weeks later.

Apple has also introduced new polyurethane iPad mini Smart Covers in six different colors, priced at $39 each. Apple also now has a full suite of Lightning adapters to support USB camera connections, SD cards and VGA or HDMI connectivity.

Article Link: Apple Introduces New 7.9-Inch iPad Mini Starting at $329 (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apple-introduces-new-7-9-inch-ipad-mini/)

MacSignal
Oct 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
iPhone 5 gets an A6 and this stays with the A5? :confused: I guess we already know something about what we can expect with the next iPad Mini update.

drummingcraig
Oct 23, 2012, 01:10 PM
"...manufactured to tolerances currently unheard of in our industry".

~Phil Schiller

And factory workers everywhere winced. :D

Irock619
Oct 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
No retina display and priced over $300 = no buy for me.

milo
Oct 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
Looks like a great unit but I can see that price keeping sales down. I'm sure they'd be making a decent profit even at $249 (or somewhere inbetween like 279). Especially when the $199 kindle has higher resolution, it's weird to see Apple introduce a product with lower resolution and ppi than what's already available.

louden
Oct 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
Lack of retina means this will probably be one of the shortest product life cycles in history - maybe as short as my iPad3 :)

GeekLawyer
Oct 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
This will be a very popular product for the holidays.

I think the price is a little high, but suspect the market will bear it.

nickn
Oct 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

bushido
Oct 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
what about iTunes 11 sigh

audioteknika
Oct 23, 2012, 01:19 PM
This bad marketing decision is the starting point of the downfall of Apple, whether you like it or not.

chrisrosemusic1
Blatantly just cashing in on their success now. A new Retina iPad at this stage is pure greed - a 7 month life cycle is disgraceful.

munkery
Fairly disappointed in the iPad mini. Priced a little too high given the spec.

MaxGravy
Yawn. Not interested in anything announced. Nap time. ZZzzzzz.

negrohero9
this is way too expensive for non retina

kirky29
£269...still getting it.

macchiato2009
it's not that small after all

i thought that it would be too small

currentinterest
Oct 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
Seeing it shows how completely different it is from the other smaller devices. People will pay for this difference, it is huge.

MMOTotal
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crapple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7 and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple his excreted...

Buying a Nexus 7 would be pointless for me. It's not just about the hardware. It is that Apple has created an eco system that is damn near impossible to escape. If you have invested heavily in the Apple eco system this is a no brainer.

If you have flexibility then go with the Nexus or whatever else they are doing.

SBlue1
wow, this thing looks so nice, i think i may buy one for my wife. she would never take our iPad 3 out of the house cause she thinks its too big.

this size is perfect for her handbag, and the price is ok with me. just wish it had retina display.

simmo0916
$329 is £206...

The iPad Mini - Starting at £269 in the UK!

Im not enjoying the £60 markup at all.

krause734
I hope it has 1GB RAM

AppleMactablet
Still would have liked to see under 300 but whatever:cool:

ncaissie
One word on iPad 4 "Fail"

How many ipad 3 owners are upset? Raise your hand!
And $329 NOT!

you people smh
Oct 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
They had me at hello...

...Lost me at $329

MMOTotal
Oct 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
$329 is £206...

Then don't buy it and go for a cheaper tablet.

litmag01
Oct 23, 2012, 01:22 PM
This bad marketing decision is the starting point of the downfall of Apple, whether you like it or not.

Stock price and shareholder confidence consider otherwise.

macchiato2009
my colleague bought the nexus

it crashed several times on the first of day

when i first saw it, i thought it was pretty cool

after the first crash, he was pissed and i was disappointed

i was really considering buying it but not anymore after the crashes :(

Porco
$329 is £206...

It's more like a £20 markup once you include UK VAT at 20%.

Which is still bad, but not quite as bad.

MMOTotal

Not really. Did you not see how they skimmed over that part and got to the iPad mini.

I mentioned in the keynote thread that small updates like this are to be expected. The iPad 3 works really well

Eidorian
Buying a Nexus 7 would be pointless for me. It's not just about the hardware. It is that Apple has created an eco system that is damn near impossible to escape. If you have invested heavily in the Apple eco system this is a no brainer.

If you have flexibility then go with the Nexus or whatever else they are doing.The best way to win is not to play.

CristobalHuet

Why are you on this site?

Macdick
Ok lets see
No retina

329$ Hmmmmm
Microcenter iPad 2 349$

Oracle1729
Oct 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
Well, I guess $330 for a 1024x768 tablet make sense... on an a world where a 13" laptop with a $1700 starting price makes sense. I'm not sure what planet that is, but I'm sure it must be a nice place.

On a related note, apple stock is currently trading down 2.5% today. At least shareholders live on planet Earth.

KamuiVII
whens iTunes remake coming out? thought it wouldve been during this event :apple:

mac jones
Comparing the new 32GB Nexus 7 to the 32GB Mini, the Nexus has a far faster CPU, a slightly better GPU, a standard USB port, a higher resolution screen and thus a far higher PPI, but yet costs over $180 less. Sure, the new iPad Mini will be a hit.... People will also surely love the new crApple maps app on iOS 6, which will work even better since the wi-fi mini will not a have a GPS, unlike the Nexus 7, and passbook will work great, especially with no NFC capabilities, again, unlike the Nexus 7. What a failure of a product Apple has excreted...

What a charming fellow :D

Poochi
Pretty weak this time around. Good that I get to keep my money :)

iPad mini is a little underwhelming, with the A5 and screen resolution.

iPad 4... well got iPad 3 already and not playing much graphic intensive game, I can hold another year.

iMac - nice upgrade, but my iMac is still fast enough, so can hold another year.

Macbook Pro 13" - no dedicate GPU is a deal breaker, no buy for me.

Sorry Apple... nothing I want to buy this time.

scottwaugh
Blatantly just cashing in on their success now. A new Retina iPad at this stage is pure greed - a 7 month life cycle is disgraceful.

Right, a new iPad with double the speed at the previous version at the same price as the old one is just pure greed - since it got here several months early.

Disgraceful Apple, how dare you bring an improved product at the same price to market early!

Cingular
Quick, lock in your iPad 3 trade ins :p

milo
the downfall of Apple

It's not like it's a bad piece of gear (higher resolution would be nice at that price, but not a big deal for most users), it's just priced high. And that's a problem that can be fixed, if the box was bad they'd be stuck with it, but if sales aren't up to expectations they can drop the price after the holidays.

KdParker
Oct 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
ok...is apple gonna give me crap about returning my ipad3? Do I need to word my reason why differently?

ArchAndroid
For the inevitable people who are going to bitch about Retina display, if they had put it in the mini, what would be the unique selling point of the normal sized iPad?

It's not like the 13 vs 15 rMBP where the 13 has a lower res retina, Apple is locked into 1024x768 or 2048x1536.

Everything's amazing and nobody's happy.

Apple: "It's 20% thinner!
It's more than 50% lighter!"

iTroll: "But I want my Retina display :mad::mad::mad:".

It's amazing how suddenly you can't live without something you only knew existed a few months ago.

:apple:

Gabichon
I still think the iPad mini won't come out

Edit : oh wait

adztaylor
Seeing the iPad Minis specs makes me happier keeping my iPad 2.

Drag'nGT
Personally, I think this is a win. Granted it is not as powerful as we (numbers minded) consumers want to see, but this is because it is a first generation model. We are also the smaller group of consumers concerned with how powerful it is vs how it functions.

Also, everyone loved the iPad 2 and this is essentially the iPad 2 shrunken down. The A5x was for the retina screen on the 3rd gen and does get warmer than the A5 on the iPad 2. It makes a lot of sense to make this a success by keeping the successful parts of the iPad 2 and fitting it into a smaller case. Apple will push the technology further after they see how successful this 1st smaller one is.

SoApple
Phil Shiller " the black model will be made of the same anodized metal as the iphone 5 "
Unless they up their standards we"ll see a whole new set of scuffgate complaints lol..

Peppa
Oct 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
Apple: look how much better our new iPad mini is than the Nexus...oh btw it's $130 dollars more. -facepalm-

MMOTotal
Seeing the iPad Minis specs makes me happier keeping my iPad 2.

From experience the iPad 2 still performs really great. I still have mine. Just because it doesn't have retina doesn't mean it should be brushed aside.

KdParker
Right, a new iPad with double the speed at the previous version at the same price as the old one is just pure greed - since it got here several months early.

Disgraceful Apple, how dare you bring an improved product at the same price to market early!

For once my not being and early adopter paid off. :)

Chapps
Whew! $329 starting price? I love the iPad mini, but I'm in the camp that feels the price is too dear for an iPad without a Retina display. Just to throw a wrench out, the Kindle Fire is over $100 less expensive, and it - like Apple - has a rich ecosystem to integrate with. Help me to understand why people will choose the iPad mini over the Kindle Fire this Christmas season (aside from those of us who are in love with Mac products).

tigres
pass on this one. (the mini pad)
may pick up the gen 4 ipad to replace my 1st gen however.

chriscl
It's very expensive for what it is, but I'm sure Apple will sell truckloads of the things as usual.

Nice form factor, nice looking device but the price is a little too high for me - especially at the slightly inflated UK prices.

OllyW
$329 is £206...

The US price doesn't include VAT. It's really only about £20 dearer which includes import duties and better warranty cover.

PracticalMac
$329 is still higher then ideal (and breaks Apples usual full $100 increments) but will still sell like hotcakes!

IMHO, $299 is ideal, but I will go with $329.

I think Mini will be a huge blow to other tablets.

milo
Oct 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
iPad 4

This thread is about the mini, you're looking for the other one.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apple-announces-fourth-generation-ipad-with-lightning-connector/

yanki01
no retina = no bueno.

as i like the smaller size and style of it, the lack of the retina display might steer away other customers. the iPhone 4 had retina display and that's 2yrs old already. the iPad 3 had it aswell, i dont get it?

:confused:

SBlue1

a faster cpu? is this thing not fast enough? i have the ipad 3 and i never felt that any app would push the ipad to its limits.

nfc? usb? what for? :confused:

i am very happy with my ipad 3, and i am considering buying the mini for my wife as our second ipad. glad you are happy with your nexus. have fun. I know I will. ;)

mantan
I like Apple products too....but have to vote with my wallet on this one.

I shrunken iPad 2 for $329....no thanks.

If Google comes through with the rumored $199 16 gig Nexus 7 on October 28th, I'll order that day.

iEnvy

Because we haven't heard that before

KALLT
no Siri

What makes you say that? I have heard nothing to support that.

Edit: Apple’s website says it does support Siri.

NIKKG
I would've got it for $250, but for 329, they can go screw themselves. Apple lost its way.

mobi
Oct 23, 2012, 01:27 PM
This place hasn't changed in years...official complaint forums, post product announcement blah.

On the bright side, Apple filled a void in their growing product line-up!

AustinIllini
Good showing. Apple probably does not need the device to be a blockbuster. It will beat the Nexus 7 easily.

nagromme
Iíd love the dreams of lower prices to be true (and one day they will be) but for now... if you want portable AND great apps, what other choice is there? Android tablets donít cut it. They have specs you can enjoy reading (as long as you ignore the specs the iPad Mini has better!) and a huge lack of apps that would match the app quality on iPad.

Navdakilla
This will sell, however I think it could have sold ALOT more if they would have lowered the price at least 50$.

The price won't be enough to totally take over all the other 7" tablet sales.
A little dissapointed

scottwaugh
I thought the mini looked very nice, weighs what a pad of paper does - nice job Apple. It would have been better if they could have gone for $299, but $30 more isn't bad.

I'm sure the limiting factor on how many they sell this quarter will be the production number.

Add all the other improvements and Apple just knocked the ball out of the park for this announcement we thought was only going to be a for a few products.

hspace
$329 is a bit of a pricing FAIL.

With basically shrunken iPad 2 guts (+ LTE), they really should have hit $299 or $249. They care too much about not overlapping the iPod Touch prices... But the touch is a slowly dying product line. At $249 they could have delivered a knock-out blow to Google & Amazon, but instead they chose this path.

ArchAndroid
$329 is £206...

But we, my fellow Brit, are enjoying two year EU mandatory warranty as well as the 20% VAT on top.

Americans get it cheaper but have much worse consumer protection.

Can't lick both sides of the lollipop.

bushido
Not really. Did you not see how they skimmed over that part and got to the iPad mini.

I mentioned in the keynote thread that small updates like this are to be expected. The iPad 3 works really well

i'm only concerned that the iPad 3 will never get iOS7 now, claiming the hardware is dated and they dont even sell it anymore unlike the iPad 2 .... just like what happened to the first iPad

thats why i sold and replaced my iPad 2 with the 3rd in the first place. ARGH!!!

stukick
So if a new 4th generation ipad was just introduced...why is there not a price cut across the board on the ipad 2 and 3rd generation models?

Very confused. Oh, and that $329 price point sucks.

somethingelsefl
Apple: Super-size your iPod touch for just $30 more!

nickn

I purchased my Nexus in July, and since have had perhaps 4-5 crashes total. Compared to my iPad 1, which crashes around every 5-10 minutes on iOS5, I am extreme happy with the Nexus. Perhaps that guy got a DOA one?

Little-Tiger
Oct 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apple-introduces-new-7-9-inch-ipad-mini/)

/snip

[/url]

Being an apple fan. I find the presentation a b*** C***. Comparing with a Nexus 7 and saying mini is better...Off course it is. But for 199, compared to 329 , iPad mini still will NOT win here...

When iPhone 5 came out, Apple promo was, we don't want big screen on a handheld because we want user to use their thumb easily.
Where is this ideal on the iPad mini??? 5 inch is too big, but a 7.9 inch is just perfect?? WTF?

Oracle1729

What stock exchange are you looking at? Mine doesn't seem agree with you.

tamayers
What is the cost of Data for the iPad mini on Sprint?

PNutts
I would've got it for $250, but for 329, they can go screw themselves. Apple lost its way.

Maybe you could get the Android tablet they compared it to?

Westside guy

Apples and oranges. You can't compare raw specs - you need to compare benchmarks because performance is what matters. I would expect Java apps to require a faster CPU - and more memory - to come close to performing as well as apps written in a language designed for compiling (e.g. Objective C or even C#).

ricardo.hudson
$329 is £206...

Remember though that US prices don't include tax, whereas UK does!

hkpuipui99
The word play is truly amazing. "Still" up to 10 hours battery life? Shouldn't it be longer to begin with, considering it's a smaller display that's not even retina??

I'm surprised how openly they compare this to a iPad 2, something that's now 2 generations old.

Keep up your minuscule improvements game Apple. People will buy this no doubt. But for me, I waited till the 3G for the iPhone, I can wait another year for a satisfactory iPad mini.

cdmoore74
My post from 3 days ago. I got everyone of my guesses correct. Yes, I'm that good.

My proposed spec list.

7.85 inches
1024 x 768 resolution (Same as the iPad 2)
A5 processor (Same used in the iPad 2)
512mb of ram (Same as the iPad 2)
16 gig base model (I just don't see how 8gig will fly at $329)
5 mp camera rear camera (I could be wrong on this one)
HD front facing camera
lighting port
No GPS in the base model
$200 build cost ($129 Apple tax, opps, I mean profit)

But what I don't understand is the the iPod touch at $299. Leads me to believe that Apple could very well release a 8gig mini at $329 which is just not enough space. How many people are going to pass up a 16gig iPad mini for $30 more over the overpriced touch? And the only reason I said A5 and not the A6 is because I highly doubt Apple will make the mini faster than the iPad 3 unless Apple is revising it as well. There will be no need to have a power hungry A5X chip in the mini at 1024x768 resolution and the A5 does fine at that resolution.

And many people tend to forget that Amazon still has their 16gig 8.9" Fire HD with 1900x1200 resolution and $299 price tag coming out on 11/20.

nagromme

Apple’s two greatest crimes: offering users more too soon, and offering users more too late! Apple always fails...

(I’m not sure which users would benefit by not improving the iPad now at the same prices. Who would that help exactly? People would be getting less, not more!)

The word play is truly amazing. "Still" up to 10 hours battery life? Shouldn't it be longer to begin with, considering it's a smaller display that's not even retina?

It’s a smaller device—that means a smaller battery. The reason they compare to the iPad 2 (still a current model even now, and still a great one) is that it’s comparable in performance and therefore battery needs.

But what I don't understand is the the iPod touch at $299. Leads me to believe that Apple could very well release a 8gig mini at $329 which is just not enough space. How many people are going to pass up a 16gig iPad mini for $30 more over the overpriced touch? And the only reason I said A5 and not the A6 is because I highly doubt Apple will make the mini faster than the iPad 3 unless Apple is revising it as well. There will be no need to have a power hungry A5X chip in the mini at 1024x768 resolution and the A5 does fine at that resolution.

And many people tend to forget that Amazon still has their 16gig 8.9" Fire HD with 1900x1200 resolution and $299 price tag coming out on 11/20.

iPods cost WAY less than iPhones (unsubsidized)—making something THAT small is not easy or cheap. (Notice nobody else is doing anything comparable to the iPod Touch.) If you need pocket-sized, there’s a bit of a cost with that.

As for Amazon... some nice eReaders for sure, and that’s enough for some, but they are poor all-around app platforms. You just can’t do what an iPad can do without an iPad. And with Amazon's DRM policies lately, I don’t think I’ll ever forget Kindle now.... ("http://www.bekkelund.net/2012/10/22/outlawed-by-amazon-drm/“) They can take your Kindle AND all your content away from you, never give it back, never tell you why, never let you get another one, and never offer you a chance to appeal! They can, and they do.

milo
Oct 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
Everything's amazing

Glad you're enjoying the kool aid.

Lighter and thinner are great, but the fact is, not only is the screen not retina, it's lower resolution than the kindle at $130 less.

A lower res device at a much higher price is a hard sell.

Prototypical
Because we haven't heard that before

Exactly... :p Apparently every product and decision that Apple has made since Steve left the company is the beginning of the end for the company. One of these days they'll actually get that "Apple-killer" product right.

Uncle Ruckus
iPad mini, huge let down.

Daalseth
It's a wonderful device. I would leap at it except the price is asinine.
$329 for 16Gb? $429for 32Gb? Not a chance.
I was going to get one but not now. Drop those prices by $100 each and I'll think about it. I am a full died in the wool, bleeding in five colors Apple fan and have been since my Mac Classic over 20 years ago. Even I think they fornicated upwards here.

I had a fear that TC was more of a bean counter than Jobs was. This proves it. They totally blew a chance to decisively win the tablet war. They had a chance to grab Samsung and Amazon and the others by the throat and bury them but no. They got cheap and priced it too high. The bean counters won and Apple will lose. This will be a huge boost to sales of the other guys laptops.

ckurt25
I can't say I'm happy with a $329 price but they did build it. Retina one will be out in 12 months or less...

I can now sit back and chuckle at those who posted "Apple will never build an iPad Mini."

Call me a lemming... I'm buying one. I have my original iPad to my 11 yr old daughter for her birthday anticipating the Mini coming out. She'll get this in a couple years when I upgrade next.

MacFather
Oct 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
People wanted Retina Display.

KALLT
no retina = no bueno.

as i like the smaller size and style of it, the lack of the retina display might steer away other customers. the iPhone 4 had retina display and that's 2yrs old already. the iPad 3 had it aswell, i dont get it?

The more disappointing realisation for me is that Apple will have to update the iPad Mini in the future. Seeing the update of the iPad 3 today, it might even be in spring or shortly thereafter. Knowing that, why would I want to spend money on this device? It almost feels like an outdated product.

Prototypical
The word play is truly amazing. "Still" up to 10 hours battery life? Shouldn't it be longer to begin with, considering it's a smaller display that's not even retina??

If the entire device is smaller, you're working with a smaller battery.

Bokes

And $329 NOT!

Hand up.
My 4 month old device is already replaced.
Sad thing is retina really needs the A6- so the 4 gets that right.

If you buy the mini prepare for the same.
Mini w/ retina and A6 will be released in the spring.

F Apple I'm getting a Kindle.

(Hope i can still get a decent price for the 3)

sommer182

And $329 NOT!

I am upset, but just cause I did not see this coming myself. I have long argued that the iPhone, iPod and iPad--any iOS device--should be on the same fall release schedule. This does that for Apple and streamlines the entire product line, which is a far better model for any company to maintain. Do I want a new iPad 4? Sure. But since I have been told by the CFO of my household that I have to to skip every other generation, at least now I only have to wait until fall of 2013 versus the spring of 2014!!! To me the iPad Mini only getting an A5 processor is a far bigger let down.

litmag01
On a related note, apple stock is currently trading down 2.5% today. At least shareholders live on planet Earth.

How often has stock gone up after a keynote, or after quarterly earnings for that matter? Not too often you'll find, and a bad correlation.

AustinIllini

Unless it's shiny and has an Apple on the back.

Note: I will not be buying one.

eldo33
Fairly disappointed in the iPad mini. Priced a little too high given the spec.

really? think of it this way.. it's $70 cheaper and 2" smaller and LIGHTER than ipad 2

AnonMac50
Oct 23, 2012, 01:31 PM

And $329 NOT!

Me

At least disappointed

shanmugam
the width is almost a inch bigger than the nexus 7.

Nexus 7 is easier to hold in one hand.

iPad mini is 30 grams less than Nexus 7. gotta see in the store.

TOYSTER17
I purchased my Nexus in July, and since have had perhaps 4-5 crashes total. Compared to my iPad 1, which crashes around every 5-10 minutes on iOS5, I am extreme happy with the Nexus. Perhaps that guy got a DOA one?

My iPad 1 crashes all the time as well. It's frustrating to use now. I might just have to check craigslist the next couple of days for a 3rd gen iPad, definitely will be cheaper now:D I don't think I will go for an iPad Mini, I'm tempted, but it probably won't run iOS 7 next year. Or if it does, a crippled version.

ctyhntr
Can't believe Apple undercut the Galaxy Note on price, and trumped it on size. Samsung take that! Oh wait, that's not the new iPhone 5s, nevermind.

andyx3x
I would have only been interested in the iPad mini at a price under $250 and with a retina display.

Mord
Oct 23, 2012, 01:32 PM
I'm actually kinda narced they've made this cheap, I'd have preferred it if they made it a little thicker, with a retina display for $100 more.

I'd quite like the form factor, but it looks like I'll get a 4th gen full size one instead.

Cheffy Dave
No Retina Screen,no A6x chip, no buy, I'll stick with my iPad 3,next iPad will be #5

NIKKG
Maybe you could get the Android tablet they compared it to?

Actually I might, they saying the Nexus 7 will come with 32 GB for $250 next week. I'll check it out. I am not broke and I make good money, in fact, I paid the full $850 off contract for my iphone 5, but i'm not gonna bend over for Apple on the mini cause 16 gb for 329 is a ripoff period.

Oracle1729
This place hasn't changed in years...official complaint forums, post product announcement blah.

Remember when the iPad came out and people were stunned at how low the price was. Yeah, I don't remember those complaint forums though.

My but things have changed a lot under Timmy.

milo
The word play is truly amazing. "Still" up to 10 hours battery life? Shouldn't it be longer to begin with, considering it's a smaller display that's not even retina?

Smaller display but also much smaller battery.

PracticalMac
iPhone 5 gets an A6 and this stays with the A5? :confused: I guess we already know something about what we can expect with the next iPad Mini update.

Maybe because Apple does not have any A6 to spare?
Cant make enough iPhone 5's.

And the A5X was for the Retina, so useless for mini.

sikkinixx
Apple: Bit in the butt by their big developer install base.

Sneakz
Finally, iPad, iPad 2 and iPad mini are priced at par with the US dollar on the Canadian Store.

Crixus
Oct 23, 2012, 01:33 PM

Perfect analysis.

robertallen79
I might get a 16gb model for trips, and as a companion to go with my Apple TV to make it a gaming type of machine along with video and to replace my older Kindle, because I still want to get a macbook air or macbook pro so I can work on things from home, I just want something I could take with me that wouldn't bog me down, with another case and that 7.9 inch display sure is nice vs a larger 9.8 inch

limesmoothie
£269 in the UK. Bad vibes.

Make a big song and dance about the education market and then price it £70 higher than your biggest rival.

:rolleyes:

canadianpj

Aside from being a childish little troll this morning any other reason for you being here?

ralphkaz
$329 is £206...

Its called VAT - complain to your elected officials. Don't forget we pay taxes on TOP of the $329

SBlue1

Why should I be? :confused:

I have been enjoying my iPad 3 since the first week it was out, and I will be happily using it for a long time. Or is Apple planing to shut my iPad down? :rolleyes:

Mr Dobey
I think this would be a great product if it had a Retina display, which would in turn justify the $329 price rage.

rdavila
any ideas whether it will run siri?

nickn
Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 PM
a faster cpu? is this thing not fast enough? i have the ipad 3 and i never felt that any app would push the ipad to its limits.

nfc? usb? what for? :confused:

i am very happy with my ipad 3, and i am considering buying the mini for my wife as our second ipad. glad you are happy with your nexus. have fun. I know I will. ;)

Lets see. When I play a taxing game, such as Shadowgun, the CPU monitor that I downloaded shows that all four cores are being used. I guess that is just bloat however, and not being used by the game for logic... As for the USB port, I have plugged in a standard USB mouse and keyboard, which make the tablet feel like a real computer when I want that. I could also plug in a USB game controller, or a camera, or even an external hard drive if I wanted. Can any iOS device do that????

Lancetx
I agree that the iPad mini needed to start at no more than $299. The 4th gen full size iPad looks like a bargain by comparison at $499. For the extra $170 you get a larger/retina display, A6X chip, etc. I would skip the mini and go straight for the 4th gen iPad without any hesitation at all.

eldo33
The more disappointing realisation for me is that Apple will have to update the iPad Mini in the future. Seeing the update of the iPad 3 today, it might even be in spring or shortly thereafter. Knowing that, why would I want to spend money on this device? It almost feels like an outdated product.

Every year you will be using OUTDATED product.. hence you wait forvever for a non-existent product.

If you stop upgrading every year on a product then the Product itself fit your need for years to come.

I'm so sick of people complaining about annual product cycle... STOP Wasting your money annually on the NEW product and you will be fine.

Thunderhawks
Okay whiners, you don't have to buy it!

Maybe since it's an ipad 2 you can get the blender guy on YouTube to run your iPad2 through a band saw and cut it to the new dimensions?

There, saved everybody a bundle!

canadianpj

Lighter and thinner are great, but the fact is, not only is the screen not retina, it's lower resolution than the kindle at $130 less.

Yeah, screw him and his own opinion which differs from yours.

greg555
Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM

I think they went with a fall release (and updated the iPad 3 at this time) to have all their consumer products fresh for the holiday buying season. So I wouldn't expect an update on the mini or full size until next fall.

PracticalMac
Oct 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
Lack of retina means this will probably be one of the shortest product life cycles in history - maybe as short as my iPad3 :)

Doubt it, as Mini will remain as a lower end version.
11 months at least.

AustinIllini
Oct 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
Perfect analysis.

As of the last few years, one thing is clear (for the time being):

People don't want tablets. People want iPads. His analysis is solid, but it still doesn't matter. Not yet, anyway.

Tiger8

Good one mate! I was thinking just that.

I think I'm gonna hang on to my 3 too (no reason to upgrade) and see if the new size grows on me, if so, I'll go for the Retina version that will get released in... 4 months :)

iGrip
This is brilliant!

The 7.9 inch size is revolutionary - it is night and day compared to the "tweener" 7 inch tablets. Web pages will be SO much easier to read. Amazon and Google don't stand a chance against it. The mini is literally magical!

TheAppleGeek
I like it a lot.

Saladinos
The new iMac stole the show.

The mini is nice, but Apple should have cut their margins and gone for market share. If it started at $250, it would have forced its way in to contention for just about everybody.

nickn
Oct 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
Aside from being a childish little troll this morning any other reason for you being here?
How is directly comparing the products being a troll... I came here this morning to see what Apple would release, like the rest of us....

malak
not gonna happen !!!!

marksman

Welcome to 2007 and your irrelevant spec sheet comaprisons.

H. Flower
I was in the market for a mini but the price point is a turnoff.

Eh.

hspace
I think this would be a great product if it had a Retina display, which would in turn justify the $329 price rage.

Indeed. Retina is needed to justify a $300+ on this thing.

mdelvecchio

ya any year now...

everything-i
Oct 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
$329 is £206...

Got 20% VAT to thank for that :(

farmecologist
In my opinion, the Nexus7 is a FAR better value, especially since the Nexus7 has a dedicated GPS.

However, if you are 'locked in' to the Apple app ecosystem, this looks like an interesting option.

anjinha
$329 is £206...

Prices in the U.S. don't include sales tax, prices in the UK do.

rydewnd2

The LTE version does have GPS. Nobody cares about a standard usb port. NFC is in it's infancy. People who buy this, already are living in the iOS ecosystem and want a smaller tablet. There is immense value in that for a lot of people. It's not just a one to one comparison of a list of specs and features.

Wi-Fi + Cellular (AT&T)
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
Bluetooth 4.0 technology
GSM/EDGE
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA
LTE4
GPS and GLONASS
Data only5

Wi-Fi + Cellular (Verizon or Sprint)
Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
Bluetooth 4.0 technology
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B
GSM/EDGE
UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA
LTE4
GPS and GLONASS
Data only5

clumsythief83
Don't mind that much that it doesn't have a retina display, but an A5 processor seriously? I would have expected at least a A5x processor. This really is a Ipod touch + iPad 2 fusion. I can't believe I sold my iPad 3rd generation for this. I think I'll go for the Nexus 7 for the next couple of months while waiting for the updated iPad mini next summer.

PracticalMac

Focus on the screen, yes, expensive.

Look at everything, including the Apps and support, the price difference is almost equal!

I do think $299 is better intro price....

winston1236
Good showing. Apple probably does not need the device to be a blockbuster. It will beat the Nexus 7 easily.

Reminds me of when Blackberry was on top of the world. They had the same arrogant attitude.

Cp96alumni
Ok lets see
No retina
no Siri
329$ Hmmmmm
Microcenter iPad 2 349$

According to Apples specs on the store it has Siri.

"Siri - Use your voice to send messages, set reminders, and more."

apolloa
Oct 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
Terrible, truly truly terrible. I was right about it being expensive but I certainly did not expect the tech inside to be THIS old for the money! You are TOTALLY paying for the name.
Nexus 7 all the way then.... :D

And Apple.... :rolleyes: that is all... :rolleyes:

PracticalMac
The mini is nice, but Apple should have cut their margins and gone for market share. If it started at $250, it would have forced its way in to contention for just about everybody.

WORD!

Though $299 would be fine.

techwhiz
The forth generation iPad isn't really a new iPad.
They changed the connector and bumped the processor.
They didn't increase resolution or drop the price. It's a mid life bump, probably so they only need to buy wafers in the A6x and A5 variety. Limit the variety of components to keep prices down.

As far as the iPad Mini; I know why they priced it at $329.
The $30 premium above the iPod Touch means they don't lower the price on the touch. They charge $100 to get to 64GB on a touch from the base 32GB but it costs $200 to get to maximum on the iPad/iPad Mini.

The premium for flash is just obscene.
I like Apple and own two iPads, three iPods, an older MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, a Mini and finally a MacPro. Let's not forget Apple stock.

But... I also have three Android phones in my house because the iPhone just got a screen that is even close to what I've had for more than two years.

Anyway the Nexus 7 update due next week bumps the base configuration to 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $249. This becomes the Kindle and Nook killer. While the iPad Mini will get traction, it is still as expensive as an iPad2 refurb. A 3rd gen iPad refurb is only $379.

The iPad Mini is only compelling if you want a smaller iPad. It is not a competitor to the 7" Android tablets. It's priced too high, and I really like Apple.

I was going to buy a couple for Christmas presents for my kids. Looks like they will be getting a Nexus 7 32GB. That's $500 vs almost $900 for the equivalent memory.

jordanancel
I think the iPad mini could have been a greater success if it had the A6 chip, retina display and a price of $299 for the lowest model.

While the display size and overall hand-held size are great, and the design quite attractive, I can't understand why Apple would not give us the resolution of the new iPad 4 and the same faster processor.

That, plus a price of $299 would really give people a choice: "Do I want an iPad 4, or do can I only afford a mini yet still get all the great features?"

I already own an iPad 3 with retina display and it's amazing. I was hoping to sell it and get a mini, but I think I'll wait for the 2nd gen mini. Hopefully it will have retina display, as well.

futbalguy
$329 is £206...

Do you have VAT? If so, most of the 60 would be from that alone. Or am I wrong?

Oops looks like other already chimed in.

Tevlon
lol here in holland an ipad mini is Ä329 and the touch 5g is Ä325...

SilkyGardens
Oct 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
Pretty sure this is how it all went down...

"Well team, last year the iPad 2 didn't generate enough profit. This is unacceptable. What can we do to rectify this problem?"

"how about... let's make it smaller but bigger than an iPhone with the same specs and call it new?"

"Watson, you're an absolute genius."

Is it just me or is Apple pooping out products for the sake of pooping.

smiddlehurst
For those that complain about lack of retina, how the hell would Apple drive the thing with that form factor? Even if there were no thermal issues the battery drain for current GPU tech would be far too high, not to mention powering the screen. Ultimately I'm sure a retina display will come but it needs at the very least Power VR Series 6 to be ready and maybe a few other things as well (new screen tech and a further process shrink from 32nm spring to mind).

As for the price... $329 is spot on. It puts it at the premium end of the mass market, right where Apple should be. They don't need to go playing with the minimum margin competitors, surely the PC market has proven that over the last few years? If they're the only premium game in town (and for most people I'd say they are) they will still sell every device they can make. It also, oddly, could present a major problem for Microsoft with Windows RT. If Surface is indicative of pricing for RT devices Apple just lobbed a device in that's likely to be at least $100 cheaper than most RT tablets! Might be smaller but if the functionality is there (and it seems to be) that's just made the RT pitch that much harder.

Stega87
http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes/

PracticalMac
Oct 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
Terrible, truly truly terrible. I was right about it being expensive but I certainly did not expect the tech inside to be THIS old for the money! You are TOTALLY paying for the name.
Nexus 7 all the way then.... :D

And Apple.... :rolleyes: that is all... :rolleyes:

A6 reserved for iPhone 5 (cant make enough)
A5X designed for Retina.

And....?

Tevlon
still waiting for the moment apple realizes 1$ is not the same as Ä1. they always just change the $ to a Ä. we always end up paying 1.3 times the us prices

dmk1974
The Apple Refub store has been updated. The iPad 3rd gen units now are $379. $50 extra for a larger and Retina screen sure seems like a better buy to me!

tech4all
Oct 23, 2012, 01:42 PM

No worries, I have a Nexus 7 and not one crash.

Why are you on this site?

So to be on this site you can't be critical of Apple?

How about this? Apple is amazing! They're are alternatives to the iPad mini but I'll buy it anyways even though it's overprices. Go Apple Go! :apple: :D

:rolleyes:

$329 is still higher then ideal (and breaks Apples usual full $100 increments) but will still sell like hotcakes!

IMHO, $299 is ideal, but I will go with $329.

I think Mini will be a huge blow to other tablets.

The price is a joke. It's sad and funny that people will buy this even though there are cheaper tablets out there that are just as good. Unless they REALLY love iOS over Android. To each his/her own I guess.

I’d love the dreams of lower prices to be true (and one day they will be) but for now... if you want portable AND great apps, what other choice is there? Android tablets don’t cut it. They have specs you can enjoy reading (as long as you ignore the specs the iPad Mini has better!) and a huge lack of apps that would match the app quality on iPad.

Nexus 7

Portable: CHECK!
Great apps: CHECK! - they got what I want and they work just fine.

Android is a great OS. For me it's better because I can make it the way I want out of the box.

But some people are too blinded by the :apple:

Not an Apple-hater, but I'm not going to turn the blind eye when Apple doesn't cut it for something.

Now to go check out those sexy iMacs :cool:

staypuffinpc
$329 is £206...

That's not Apple's fault. Chalk it up to VAT and other taxes aimed at providing extra services for everyone in the country (I'm not issuing a value judgment here, but just pointing out to you why things cost so much more in Europe).

AppleWarMachine

neuropsychguy

Then they should buy the full-size iPad and not the iPad Mini. Simple solution.

Optimus Frag
Starting at 269 in the uk??!! Fail. I'd rather pony up the extra 130 and get a retina display iPad.

So either way apple wins I suppose.

Jibbajabba
Oct 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
$329 is £206...

UK includes VAT and US prices are ex-sales tax.

----------

Starting at 269 in the uk??!! Fail. I'd rather pony up the extra 130 and get a retina display iPad.

So either way apple wins I suppose.

Yep :-)

apolloa
A6 reserved for iPhone 5 (cant make enough)
A5X designed for Retina.

And....?

And your one of the blind faithful MUGS if you buy it??? An iPhone 4S SOC, wow. great.

Broph
Are they going to announce something new in their 'usual' January iPad cycle? I wonder.

doomfront
Oct 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
They missed on the pricing. Should be the same price as teh Nexus 7

mokend
329 for non retina is ridiculous. Comparing the pricing of the regular sized ipad 2 is 399 and it's almost 2 inches bigger. Should have been priced at 249 for non retina and 349 for retina.

RemarkabLee
Best bargain of the year will be looking for people selling iPad 3's upgrading to iPad 4's

Apple should have seriously thought about aiming for the $199/£199 mark with an 8Gb model...

I'll be recommending a Kindle Fire

Mustafa
Hope Tim Cook's dog didn't complain too much when he pulled his sweater/shirt out from under him this morning. Really, Tim, get some style help!

Also, not many brothers in the audience. In fact, I couldn't see any. Not pointin', just sayin'.

Despite all that, will spring for a mini on Friday.

milo
Yeah, screw him and his own opinion which differs from yours.

Ironic considering I was responding to a post that called those with opinions that differ from his "iTrolls". And especially with you calling another post you disagreed with a trolll.

I think what you meant to say is "screw you and your own opinion which differs from mine.

As of the last few years, one thing is clear (for the time being):

People don't want tablets. People want iPads.

That has been true since the iPad first was released. But I'd argue that we're just reaching a point where other tablets are finally offering a compelling alternative. The new kindles compare well on specs (especially resolution, and the cellular package is appealing too), and are priced very competitively.

It's possible Apple can still charge whatever they want and sell a ton, but I'd be surprised if ignoring the competition doesn't start to eat into their market share.

oliversl
Oct 23, 2012, 01:45 PM
Really want one! Even if it does not have retina display, I guess its an ok display too.

The aspect ratio seems to be the correct one, Nexus 7 screen ratio just looks embarrassing right now in landscape.

everything-i

Yeh, I thought that too. Sounds like a Troll kind of comment.

gto55
after the unexpected announcement of the new retina iPad, only 7months after, some people may prefer to wait for an a6 powered iPad Mini with true HD screen or get a nexus 7 with 32gbfor 260$

AustinIllini
The forth generation iPad isn't really a new iPad.
They changed the connector and bumped the processor.
They didn't increase resolution or drop the price. It's a mid life bump, probably so they only need to buy wafers in the A6x and A5 variety. Limit the variety of components to keep prices down.

Look up why it's called a "retina display" and you'll know why it is unlikely Apple will increase the resolution in the near future.

Reminds me of when Blackberry was on top of the world. They had the same arrogant attitude.

Except Blackberry's market was only selling one product. Once that was beat, BB was done. Unless someone can come out with

1) A better PC
2) A better tech than a tablet
3) A significantly better phone
4) Better integration between all their products

Apple has nothing to worry about. I don't need Apple to be the biggest company in the world for me to like their products, I just need them to keep making quality products.

xanagu
E xpensive
P athetic maps
I tunes charges for powering on/off
C heap feeling

F ail port
A 5 processor
I rrelevant rear camera
L ack of retina

Bchagey

agreed. With iPod touch starting at 299, and iPad mini starting at 329, i believe the iPad mini will be a success and a very popular choice for the upcoming holiday season. Yeah i wish it had a retina display, but they needed to cut costs to get it into the hands of more people. Its a good product, cant wait to get my hands on one.

Maso1
Oct 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
$329 is £206...

After VAT deduction the price difference is about what it has been, a small markup about £20..

dmelgar
Looks like a great unit but I can see that price keeping sales down. I'm sure they'd be making a decent profit even at $249 (or somewhere inbetween like 279). Especially when the $199 kindle has higher resolution, it's weird to see Apple introduce a product with lower resolution and ppi than what's already available.

Can't get something for nothing.

Amazon is selling the kindle fire at cost to push you to buy other stuff from amazon. It's a loss leader.
They cut every corner they could. Forced advertising. Not even a power adapter nor volume controls are included. And certainly no camera.

Apple announces a premium device as expected. Bigger display. Retina display would have been ipad 3 resolution in smaller screen. Not worth it and would be very expensive.

nickn

Tell me how it is irrelevant? When I process a RAW file on my Nexus 7, it takes far less time than on my iPad. How is that??????? Please enlighten me, since it is apparently not because of the faster CPU. Also, if that is the case, why doesn't Apple just keep the A4 going in all of their new products. I guess a faster CPU would be irrelevant, anyways right??? When I play shadowgun on my Nexus, it looks far better than on my iPad. Why is that??? It apparently isn't because of the better GPU with higher specs.

JonLa
Oct 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
My maths suggest the UK price conversion and then 20% VAT take the price closer to 250, so I understand where people are coming from....

you people smh

You mean the stock price that shot down 2% right after the presentation ended, the one that is down 10% over the last month?

The one that is dropping like a phone call on the iphone 5?

AustinIllini
That has been true since the iPad first was released. But I'd argue that we're just reaching a point where other tablets are finally offering a compelling alternative. The new kindles compare well on specs (especially resolution, and the cellular package is appealing too), and are priced very competitively.

It's possible Apple can still charge whatever they want and sell a ton, but I'd be surprised if ignoring the competition doesn't start to eat into their market share.

Kindle Fire HD bombed in reviews. And I question weather Apple cares as much as a company about market share relative to 1) Profits $$$$ and 2) Quality products.

mdelvecchio
Oct 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
It's amazing how suddenly you can't live without something you only knew existed a few months ago.

yup. I'm thinking the whiners are like 15 or something.

SpyderBite
ok...is apple gonna give me crap about returning my ipad3? Do I need to word my reason why differently?

Shouldn't give you crap at all as long as you're inside the 14 day return period. If not, then yes. You're going to get a little crap.

FlameofAnor
For the inevitable people who are going to bitch about Retina display, if they had put it in the mini, what would be the unique selling point of the normal sized iPad?

It's not like the 13 vs 15 rMBP where the 13 has a lower res retina, Apple is locked into 1024x768 or 2048x1536.

Everything's amazing and nobody's happy.

Apple: "It's 20% thinner!
It's more than 50% lighter!"

iTroll: "But I want my Retina display :mad::mad::mad:".

:apple:

The fact that The iPad Mini has the same pixel dimensions as the iPad2 means it will look sharper, since the individual pixels will be smaller. The new display technology is also improved over the iPad2..... it's simply a better display. I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp for so many people.

milo

Double standard. When Apple has the higher resolution it's a major selling point, but when they don't it's suddenly "irrelevant". And there's no escaping the price difference.

KingofGotham1
Being an apple fan. I find the presentation a b*** C***. Comparing with a Nexus 7 and saying mini is better...Off course it is. But for 199, compared to 329 , iPad mini still will NOT win here...

When iPhone 5 came out, Apple promo was, we don't want big screen on a handheld because we want user to use their thumb easily.
Where is this ideal on the iPad mini??? 5 inch is too big, but a 7.9 inch is just perfect?? WTF?

really??

bushido
and suddenly 7inch fits perfectly in one hand :p

i thought "this is my thumb - and it goes from here - to here" is where its at :p

ajnicho
I think it's a bit off that they compared this to a £199 priced nexus 7 when they price it at £259.

The price is closer to the Galaxy Tab 2 price bracket.

Tiger8
wow, this thing looks so nice, i think i may buy one for my wife. she would never take our iPad 3 out of the house cause she thinks its too big.

this size is perfect for her handbag, and the price is ok with me. just wish it had retina display.

Hang on until March, the Retina version of the mini is coming!

neuropsychguy
Android is a great OS. For me it's better because I can make it the way I want out of the box.

My opinion is exactly the opposite (and yes, I do use an Android device every day). I find that Android is like Windows - it's good but not great. It has features but little polish (although it's getting better). Further, and most importantly, I find Android to be very unstable. More often than not I'm frustrated with its performance (and that's even after loading the best ROMs possible). Android only becomes really usable if you root it and load custom ROMs (which you have to do because so few manufacturers actually update the OS after they release a phone).

Android is merely OK and functional. But again, that's my bias (the sooner I can ditch my Android phone, the better). That being said, I still eye the Nexus 7.

baleensavage
Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
6 months ago, the iPad mini would have been revolutionary. But at $329, with some serious competition from Google and Amazon, Apple is late to their own game. I'm sure these will be successful, but at $250 they could have crushed the competition. If they were going to release the iPad mini without a retina screen, they could have at least shaved $30 off to come in under $300. Ever since the 4S, it seems like Apple has started lagging behind instead of driving the market forward.

neuropsychguy
Oct 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
really??

Apparently his/her logic board was faulty. ;)

AustinIllini
Oct 23, 2012, 01:50 PM

i thought "this is my thumb - and it goes from here - to here" is where its at :p

iPad Mini is not a phone.

SvenSvenson
$329 is £206...

£41 is VAT...

TC03
I think it's a bit off that they compared this to a £199 priced nexus 7 when they price it at £259.

The price is closer to the Galaxy Tab 2 price bracket.iPad Mini is 1.3 times more expensive but 10 times beter.

dmelgar
Oct 23, 2012, 01:51 PM

Why would an ipad 3 owner be upset that the ipad has been updated. I don't understand that. No one is making you buy every update. The ipad is now ever better, faster for the same price. This can only be a good thing.

sommer182
Every year you will be using OUTDATED product.. hence you wait forvever for a non-existent product.

If you stop upgrading every year on a product then the Product itself fit your need for years to come.

I'm so sick of people complaining about annual product cycle... STOP Wasting your money annually on the NEW product and you will be fine.

Best comment so far! Any computer gadget you buy is out of date within six months of purchase. Deal with it. Go with a every two or better, every three year buying plan and you will be much better off. You do NOT need a new phone or tablet EVERY year, people.

shurcooL
Say hello to my iPhone 3GS replacement.

It just barely fits in my pocket, and I'm gonna laugh at the Galaxy Note users who thought they had the biggest screen. =D

AustinIllini
Oct 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Double standard. When Apple has the higher resolution it's a major selling point, but when they don't it's suddenly "irrelevant". And there's no escaping the price difference.

Retina display most certainly is relevant. Outside of the specs you can notice and see, specs DO NOT matter.

I think we can all concede that the iPad Mini is beaten in the display category. That being said, none of the other shortcomings matter to the same extent.

bushido
Why would an ipad 3 owner be upset that the ipad has been updated. I don't understand that. No one is making you buy every update. The ipad is now ever better, faster for the same price. This can only be a good thing.

i'm an iPad 3 owner and i'll be upset once they stop support on iOS7 because "they dont sell it anymore" just like what happened to the first iPad. the iPad 3 was basically a "filler" while the iPad 2 continues to be sold

Codyak
Still skeptical.

Nungster

Yeah - just restart it, and think of all that money he saved.

ugcop
Oct 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
Wow!! With all these anti-Apple types saying there is no way they will by one,
means one thing

THE LINE BEHIND ME WILL BE SHORTER. :-)

mdelvecchio
What stock exchange are you looking at? Mine doesn't seem agree with you.

the one that has apple as the most valuable company in the word. maybe?

mokend
Hope Tim Cook's dog didn't complain too much when he pulled his sweater/shirt out from under him this morning. Really, Tim, get some style help!

Also, not many brothers in the audience. In fact, I couldn't see any. Not pointin', just sayin'.

Despite all that, will spring for a mini on Friday.

Thanks for pointing out that YOU did not see black people in the audience and Tim Cook not dressing well enough for YOU?

JeremyWesley
1. Without a Hybrid e-ink / retina display, its not a ebook killer. No matter what apple may thing, E-ink is not dead, nor will it ever. its easier on battery life and its easier on the eye.

2. I believe apple has serious screwed the app store pouch. By moving all iOS device update to Fall time frame, that means we will see no app sale surges in April when the new iPad comes out, because its not.. As a app developer there were 3 seasons for sales: iPhone launches, iPad launches, and Christmas. They basically rolled everything into Christmas. POOR PLAN. App sales will dwindle all year long now and we will no longer have surges.

3. iPad mini its just a supper sized iPhone.. i give the critics that.. it is.. iPad wasn't so much but this is.. Where is the innovation.. give us a e-Ink Retinal Hybrid screen. or maybe its the next version so apple gets paid twice.. They have done it before. iPhone1 with no 3g. iPad1 with no camera. iPad mini with no e-ink. I guess its all part of the plan.

4. People will buy for Christmas, yea but they wont get it till February.. iPhone 5 users are still waiting almost a month to get their iPhone 5's

just one fan boys opinion

dmelgar

Stock price is amazingly depressed. PE ratio is like IBM or some other non growth stagnant company.
What says otherwise is how their earnings skyrocket each quarter. Stock price has not kept up. It's a screaming deal at $600 and change. Likely approaching $800 after Christmas.

frabber
need ipad mini car holder..

Stella
Oct 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
I expect the Mini will do extremely well, the price is good too. Slower processor than ipad 4, but I'm not surprised about that.

Only downside - no retina display, IMO.

As much as I dislike the iPad is general, I hope it continues to sell well.. and not too much influence on OSX... ( OSX is not a mobile OS like iOS and Apple should keep it that way ).

As for an ebook replacement, blah.. personally I buy an ebook to read, any functionality beyond will be an unwanted distraction. Of course, there will be plenty of people buying this for an e-book. Enjoy!

iphoneclassic
Oct 23, 2012, 01:54 PM

Cook is all American business man. Every quarter there will be new product launch to show good quarterly numbers to Wall Street.

They cannot make iPad mini much cheaper because this may cut into standard size iPad sales. At this point retina is the only factor differentiating iPad and mini.

I posted on the iPad 4th Gen thread "Our upgrade thread mill is twice as faster now"

pizz
Oct 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
Nice but Ill wait 6 months for the 2nd gen with retina, considering theres already a new IPad4!

Nungster

Agreed. They have to shorten these product cycles because people are going to try and compare Galaxy Tab2 and Surface to new iPad, even though new iPad came out months earlier.

nickn
Retina display most certainly is relevant. Outside of the specs you can notice and see, specs DO NOT matter.

I think we can all concede that the iPad Mini is beaten in the display category. That being said, none of the other shortcomings matter to the same extent.

If specs don't matter, why should have Apple even bothered updating the iPad?*Why not leave it with the slower A5X? Why include the A5 in the Mini? How Apple about reuse the A4, or even the 3GS CPU? Is it because higher spec chips have better performance???

wimdows
Then don't buy it and go for a cheaper tablet.

Love my iPad 2's battery life and how quickly it charges.

I'd have gone for the mini had it come with a retina display. But £269 just because it is mainly smaller and lighter than the iPad 2? Nah-bloody-hoo.

I'll wait.

mytakeontech
iPad Meh!!! :p

mdelvecchio

I'm surprised how openly they compare this to a iPad 2, something that's now 2 generations old.

Keep up your minuscule improvements game Apple. People will buy this no doubt. But for me, I waited till the 3G for the iPhone, I can wait another year for a satisfactory iPad mini.

"The entitlement is STRONG in this one...hmm!"

ajnicho
iPad Mini is 1.3 times more expensive but 10 times beter.

In your opinion

Compare it to a £259 tablet. Not a £199 tablet

You don't multiply performance the same as you multiply price.

almirramic
Ugly iPhone 5; pricey inferior iPad mini, iPad 4th only 6 months after "the new Ipad;" badmouthing other tablets specifically and directly on stage; stale self-promotional presentations...

Apple is losing a lot of fans. I am still firmly one of them, but I am fairly disappointed in 2012. The only product in 2012 I really thought was a major leap forward and I felt compelled to buy was MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Most importantly, they are now a giant corporation and people do not like when a giant corporation behaves arrogantly. Unless they come up with a new product to revolutionize another aspect of peoples lives, this incremental progress will catch up with them quickly.

Hakone
Oct 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
Donde esta la Retina?

The Bad:

Non-Retina (Seriously?) iPad mini
HD4000 GPU on Macbook *Pro* @ $1700

Good:
iMac!!!
mild Mac mini refresh.

Overall grade B- :eek:

Shaun, UK
Wow the iPad Mini looks so much better than I expected. It's gorgeous. At first I was surprised there was no colour options like the iPod touch but having seen what they did with the new touch I think I prefer the all black and white/silver options they chose for the iPad mini. Looks so much classier.

I like the new 4th generation iPad although I was hoping they would increase the screen size to 10.1". My only problem is - do I buy it now or will there be a 5th generation iPad next March? I didn't buy the iPad 3 simply because it didn't support the LTE 4G band being launched in the UK and boy am I glad I didn't buy it after today's announcement. This makes me wonder if the iPad event next March will launch a bigger iPad alongside the others - maybe a 13" model.

It's like Christmas come early today.

DakotaGuy

It should have started at $349. Apple could have easily sold these for another $20. People are going to go NUTS over it!

kas23
I have an iPad 2, so Mini with no Retina Display = no sale.

kirk26

The Galaxy Note barely fits in my hand and I think I have big hands. Tim Cook's hands must be monstrous.

billnye97
But we, my fellow Brit, are enjoying two year EU mandatory warranty as well as the 20% VAT on top.

Americans get it cheaper but have much worse consumer protection.

Can't lick both sides of the lollipop.

Well I could buy it with my Chase credit card and get an extra 2 year warranty on any electronics that I purchase with the card. If you're American you just have to be a little more crafty in how you purchase something.

Sodner
Well disappointed in no retina but still picking up a white 16gb version for book reading and gaming.

Let the haters hate. Looks like a solid tablet to me. Again, you want plastic and bologna sandwich for $199 with crap apps, knock yourself out.

urbanslaughter
Oct 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
I've watched/followed every new product announcement from Apple since they announced the iPod Video. This was the first one I missed . . . and I don't feel like I missed anything. Don't like what I see happening at Apple, and I'm a HUGE fanboy.

milo
Oct 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
As for the price... $329 is spot on. It puts it at the premium end of the mass market, right where Apple should be. They don't need to go playing with the minimum margin competitors

If you want to be "premium" you have to have a premium product. That would be higher resolution than the $199 options, not lower.

The options for selling a product are to be the cheapest or be the best. Apple usually shoots for the latter, but in this case they ended up with neither.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/new-itunes/

That has been up for weeks, since the iPhone 5 announcement. Supposedly October, but if they didn't release it today I assume it will probably slip into next month (although maybe we get it when the new ipads start shipping).

kasei
Oct 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
And now it begins.... the crying and whining and complaining.

louden
Without a Hybrid e-ink / retina display, its not a ebook killer. No matter what apple may thing, E-ink is not dead, nor will it ever. its easier on battery life and its easier on the eye.

As a nook reader (coveting a paperwhite) - I totally agree. I do think the retina display makes reading on an iPad great - especially for PDFs, but think this iPad mini will be as blurry as an iPhone 3.

LCD + Lo Res != Reading Pleasure.

olowott
everyone is complaining about the price as usual.:p

Next thing you hear is that they are all sold out, all products made today.:rolleyes:

the only thing i dont like is the comparison , never happened before!

they didnt even consider the MS tablet:D

neuropsychguy
You mean the stock price that shot down 2% right after the presentation ended

Apple stock is down 1.80% and was at that point before the presentation even started. There was no drop after the presentation (if anything, it's up slightly). Yes, Apple stock is down a lot, which means it's a great time to buy.

KALLT
Oct 23, 2012, 01:59 PM

You have misunderstood me. I don't complain about Apple's upgrade cycle. I don't mind whether my product is outdated after a month, although I understand the disappointment. What I do mind is that the iPad Mini is not state of the art when it comes to the display. It is essentially an iPad with iPad 2 technology. Apple goes great lengths to release new products with a Retina display, even on laptops. But it's too good for a smaller iPad? I predict that the next iPad Mini will have such a display. The only question will be when it is released. After today, this could already be in spring.

Jasper84
Oct 23, 2012, 01:59 PM

I said the same thing !

Shorties
Oct 23, 2012, 02:00 PM

They would of had to cram the resolution of the retina display on the current retina iPad for it to work on the Mini, and maintain the pixel doubling. That just isn't feasible at this point in time. I really am surprised so many people thought they would put a retina display in the Mini. Using the iPad 2 resolution is perfect, all of the apps fit the screen well without having to create a new resolution for the developers to develop for.

It is a higher density then the iPad 2 because its smaller, so I don't think it will be as noticeable as everyone seems to think. I don't think we will see a retina display on the iPad mini for at least two years. We will probably see the screen get taller before we see it go retina.

I do wish they set the price at $299 though, it just seems so much more expensive at $329 even though it's only $30 more.

monty77
$329 is £206...

I'm sure someone else has already done this but USD price is excl. sales tax.

A proper comparison would be $329+20%=$395=£247

..and who has ever bought something abroad and got close to the standard exchange rate for anything? £269 is spot on IMO, other products have it far worse!

M

Vorst
I think the iPad mini could have been a greater success if it had the A6 chip, retina display and a price of $299 for the lowest model.

While the display size and overall hand-held size are great, and the design quite attractive, I can't understand why Apple would not give us the resolution of the new iPad 4 and the same faster processor.

That, plus a price of $299 would really give people a choice: "Do I want an iPad 4, or do can I only afford a mini yet still get all the great features?"

I already own an iPad 3 with retina display and it's amazing. I was hoping to sell it and get a mini, but I think I'll wait for the 2nd gen mini. Hopefully it will have retina display, as well.

Retina was not possible or developers had to be rewrite all apps specifically for the iPad Mini display new odd resolution. Or software developers had to design the apps the Android way. Stretched iphone apps which are not optimized for the screen size. Nobody seems to get this. Retina was not an option for Apple unless they could create a display with double the resolution (for app compatiblity), which gives a higher pixel density compared to iPad 3. That type of display is technology wise not possible these days.

A friend of my girlfriend's sisters best friend's husband has a Nexus 7 and tells a similar story. Basically as soon as you power it up the thing crashes and keeps crashing every few minutes. It's so unreliable it's practically unusable. This is why I only buy Apple products we don't get these problems.

BMNB1tch
Oct 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
piece of junk and dead on arrival

kids will still want iPod Touch in bright colors

business folks still want big screen iPads

some housewives will want iPad minis

dads are stuck with a non touch non optical iMac ... boring

where are the MAC PROs !?!?!

:mad:

toshibauser
Oct 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
The price was expected as 249, and Apple announced that the official price is 329 today. At this price, iPad Mini is not competitive in the market, and not attractive for current iPad user. Since I have iPad 2, I am not going to get it. I don't see the reason for getting one.

LagunaSol
Oct 23, 2012, 02:02 PM
This bad marketing decision is the starting point of the downfall of Apple

I'll take that bet.

iphoneclassic
1. Without a Hybrid e-ink / retina display, its not a ebook killer. No matter what apple may thing, E-ink is not dead, nor will it ever. its easier on battery life and its easier on the eye.

E-ink is not dead but at this point beach bums are the only target demography. With Kindle DX gone, there is no good size e-reader for professionals with native PDF compatibility. Even Kindle DX was a hit and miss with complex PDFs.

Tigger11

Yet everyone was pointing out, it wasn't going to happen. Shrinking the iPad 3 display 30% in the last six months and be able to reproduce a 2048x1536 at the 7.9" at a cost effective rate is not going to happen that quickly.

Giganova
Oct 23, 2012, 02:03 PM
I'm a little bummed by the lack of the retina display.

I don't think a retina display makes much of a difference between the 9.7" iPads because at a typical reading distance, your eyes can't tell the difference.

However, you will hold a smaller 7.9" display automatically closer to your eyes where the lack of retina resolution is quite noticeable.

iMacprobook
Well, i have held off all iPads so far, i'll take two of these though. Size is everything, and now it fits.

louden
And now it begins.... the crying and whining and complaining.

When people complain on this forum there might be chance someone from Apple or the media takes heart and acts on an issue... I'd like to think so anyway.

I'll let you try to justify your own post in your own mind.

Crissov
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/10/NewImage36.png

Combined Apple handheld prices (USD, slightly rounded)

50.– iPod Shuffle 2 GB
150.– iPod Nano 6cm 16GB BT
200.– iPod Touch 9cm 16GB Wifi
250.–
iPod Classic 6cm 160GB
iPod Touch 9cm 32GB Wifi
300.– iPod Touch 10cm 32GB Wifi
330.– iPad Mini 20cm 16GB Wifi
400.–
iPod Touch 10cm 64GB Wifi
iPad Two 25cm 16GB Wifi
430.– iPad Mini 20cm 32GB Wifi
450.– iPhone 9cm 8GB 3G
460.– iPad Mini 20cm 16GB 4G
500.– iPad Retina 25cm 16GB Wifi
530.–
iPad Mini 20cm 64GB Wifi
iPad Two 25cm 16GB 3G
550.– iPhone 9cm 16GB 3G
560.– iPad Mini 20cm 32GB 4G
600.– iPad Retina 25cm 32GB Wifi
630.– iPad Retina 25cm 16GB 4G
660.– iPad Mini 20cm 64GB 4G
~680.– iPhone 10cm 16GB 4G (without contract)
700.– iPad Retina 25cm 64GB Wifi
730.– iPad Retina 25cm 32GB 4G
~790.– iPhone 10cm 32GB 4G (without contract)
830.– iPad Retina 25cm 64GB 4G
~900.– iPhone 10cm 64GB 4G (without contract)
1620.– iPhone 10cm 16GB 4G (incl. cheapest 2-year plan)
1720.– iPhone 10cm 32GB 4G (incl. cheapest 2-year plan)
1820.– iPhone 10cm 64GB 4G (incl. cheapest 2-year plan)

whatever

The problem is that the Nexus runs Android, which kinda sucks.

Clive At Five
Oct 23, 2012, 02:04 PM
Too expensive.

That is all.

LagunaSol
They missed on the pricing. Should be the same price as teh Nexus 7

You mean the Nexus 7 Google sells for cost so they can pimp your personal data to advertisers?

Riiiight.

inscrewtable
There was a heap of pre release trolling about how crap an 8GB mini would be which was expected at a price of $329. But Apple did not do that.

aperture01
what about iTunes 11 sigh

Agreed. No release of that today!? They said October.

MacDarcy
I have the original iPad first gen with the unlimited data plan from AT&T. I know I can transfer it to a new iPad 2 or iPad 3 but I'd really like to transfer it to one of the new iPad minis. I have been waiting to update my first gen iPad for awhile now. Still love the thing, but the iPad mini would really be better for me...lIF I can transfer the unlimited data plan over. Does anyone know? I can't seem to find any info, and nothing was mentioned in the keynote. Thanks.

Cheers. :-)

AxemanPhil
Was all set to buy one of these (and £10 cheaper than I had expected in the UK) and then they go and announce iPad 4. Damn you Apple, I can't decide now!

ncaissie
I donít get how he was bashing the android OS when it came to finding a place to eat or whatever? The iOS maps are a disaster compared to Google Maps.