PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 with dead motherboard - any ideas?

ASP272
Sep 3, 2005, 08:33 PM
I have just acquired a 12" iBook G4 1ghz with combo drive, 512mb ram, airport extreme, and 30GB HD that's loaded. The problem is that the previous owner spilled water on the unit, rendering the logic board kaput! Apple wants $690 to replace the board and the cheapest I've found a board online is $600. I could do the repair if I could find a board cheap enough. Does anyone know where I could find one cheap? This thing is in mint condition aside from the board and I'd really like to get it working. Thanks!

mad jew
Sep 3, 2005, 08:35 PM
Maybe look for similar iBooks on eBay with broken screens. They'll be going pretty cheap and it'll mean you'll have a practice machine too.

DeSnousa
Sep 3, 2005, 08:38 PM
If you are going to buy a new logic board, I would just pay the extra 90 bucks for Apple to do it. Not worth the hassle IMO.

RGunner
Sep 3, 2005, 08:59 PM
when you can buy brand new iBooks for $899 at Amazon.

part it out.

ASP272
Sep 3, 2005, 09:42 PM
Maybe look for similar iBooks on eBay with broken screens. They'll be going pretty cheap and it'll mean you'll have a practice machine too.

I thought of that but only found one so far that was an 800mhz model. Since I'll be doing a 2 hour repair or longer I was wanting to at least get a 1 ghz board or higher. Thanks for the suggestion.

ASP272
Sep 3, 2005, 09:43 PM
when you can buy brand new iBooks for $899 at Amazon.

part it out.

Maybe I can just hang on to it for a while until the motherboards become more readily available at a cheaper price. Thanks.