Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
I have just acquired a 12" iBook G4 1ghz with combo drive, 512mb ram, airport extreme, and 30GB HD that's loaded. The problem is that the previous owner spilled water on the unit, rendering the logic board kaput! Apple wants $690 to replace the board and the cheapest I've found a board online is $600. I could do the repair if I could find a board cheap enough. Does anyone know where I could find one cheap? This thing is in mint condition aside from the board and I'd really like to get it working. Thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Maybe look for similar iBooks on eBay with broken screens. They'll be going pretty cheap and it'll mean you'll have a practice machine too.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
mad jew said:
Maybe look for similar iBooks on eBay with broken screens. They'll be going pretty cheap and it'll mean you'll have a practice machine too.

I thought of that but only found one so far that was an 800mhz model. Since I'll be doing a 2 hour repair or longer I was wanting to at least get a 1 ghz board or higher. Thanks for the suggestion.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
RGunner said:
when you can buy brand new iBooks for $899 at Amazon.

part it out.

Maybe I can just hang on to it for a while until the motherboards become more readily available at a cheaper price. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.