Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Well... all the gripes about the new iPad(s) and underwhealmed 13" Retina, thanks God Apple didn't do anything new to the Air and we still got the best deal in town, IMO... until next year.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Yeah the 13" rMBP is wayyy too expensive, if you want to do upgrades- forget about it.

They should have just slapped the better screen on the Air, thing would have sold like hot cakes.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Battery life

Yeah the 13" rMBP is wayyy too expensive, if you want to do upgrades- forget about it.

They should have just slapped the better screen on the Air, thing would have sold like hot cakes.

As soon as they figure out how to extend the battery life, I'll get excited.

But I couldn't imagine that happening now.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It's probably deliberate. The Air is being positioned to take over as the "main" Apple notebook. Had the 256GB version been $1699, it would have dampened Air sales. That said, I wonder how much longer Apple will be able to sell the upgrade from 128GB to 256GB for $300.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
I would've loved for them to spec up the Air since I'm in the market for one now. Would've made it easier to grab a cheapie from someone with upgrade fever.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
I wanted to make the switch but this is ridiculous. The 13" i7/256 rMBP costs the same as the 15", which has quad core and a dedicated GPU? I'll get an Air.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Indeed. Waited for the rMBP13" but that turned out to be a wasted time.

I'm really into getting the base 13" Air, 8gb RAM which is 400$ cheaper than the rMBP. That's the machine I've been looking at the whole time.

Don't care for the retina as well. I've had a lot of Macs and the display seems fine to me (let's not get into the whole discussion here, just pointing out the subjective perspective)

Others who waited for the rMBP and now opts for the Air?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Was so excited to make the switch from a 2011 13in (i5/4GB/128GB) MBA to a 13in (i5/8GB/256GB) rMBP... but that was under the assumption it was getting a quad-core CPU and discrete GPU.

Sticking with this bad boy for another year it seems. Might get a 256GB SSD off Ebay and throw it in here.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
New Air owner here, well within the return window. I have to say, there is no chance this thing is going back. It's a fantastic machine! My expectation for the screen were low after the reviews I had read... Well I have to say, to my eyes it looks fantastic!

To pay $400 to upgrade to the 13" rMBP seems nonsensical. You could pick up a high resolution 27" monitor for that price.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Yep, sold my rMBP 15" this morning during the announcement. Only took a $100 loss for using it for 4 months :) overall very happy. I'm going to pick up a 27" iMac. Best bang-for-buck it seems.

I'm extremely happy with my 11" i7 8GB RAM 128gb SSD I picked up last week too. Air + new iMac + iPad Mini is my winning combo :)

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Yep, sold my rMBP 15" this morning during the announcement. Only took a $100 loss for using it for 4 months :) overall very happy. I'm going to pick up a 27" iMac. Best bang-for-buck it seems.

I'm extremely happy with my 11" i7 8GB RAM 128gb SSD I picked up last week too. Air + new iMac + iPad Mini is my winning combo :)

You won't miss the retina screen?

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
You won't miss the retina screen?

Never used it. - Always had it hooked up to my 27 inch Cinema display. I don't ever take the computer out because it's a little too heavy still. I go to really remote locations for photoshoots so the lighter the better I believe the MacBook air 11 inch is the best and most rounded portable laptop ever built for people like me who trek miles and miles to do video/photoshoots.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Indeed. Waited for the rMBP13" but that turned out to be a wasted time.

I'm really into getting the base 13" Air, 8gb RAM which is 400$ cheaper than the rMBP. That's the machine I've been looking at the whole time.

Don't care for the retina as well. I've had a lot of Macs and the display seems fine to me (let's not get into the whole discussion here, just pointing out the subjective perspective)

Others who waited for the rMBP and now opts for the Air?

The Air has been the best computer I've ever, ever owned (2011 13"). Changed how I think of computers (I also work in the industry). With that said, I just ordered the rmbp 13, as it addresses the couple issues I hit while using the air:

1. I push the Air CPU a lot with what I do. It can do so much, but some activities aren't feasible.

2. The display led me astray... luckily iPhoto saves the original pictures, so I reverted everything. But while editing, I got the colors all wrong. Only noticed when I viewed the pictures on the iPad. Display on Air is lovely for a lot of things, but not precise enough for detailed photo editing. Really looking forward to the IPS retina.

3. Ports. My model only has USB2 and one thunderbolt. The upgrade to USB3 will be welcomed. The 2 thunderbolt ports and HDMI are going to be really really great.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
New Air owner here, well within the return window. I have to say, there is no chance this thing is going back. It's a fantastic machine! My expectation for the screen were low after the reviews I had read... Well I have to say, to my eyes it looks fantastic!

To pay $400 to upgrade to the 13" rMBP seems nonsensical. You could pick up a high resolution 27" monitor for that price.

Very exciting review. I plan on picking up one of these puppies in a few weeks. I've always loved the thin and sleek design.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I think the screen estate would be the same, but not really a mathematical person, so others might weigh in :)

It's exactly the same - 128 vs. 128. The 11" is better at 135.

screen-shot-2012-03-23-at-2-34-44-pm.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.