Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 24, 2007
Thats it. Apple has officially gone downhill.

Take away the hi-res display of the rmbp13 and you got something that more expensive, larger, heavier and less performance than the MBA13 (rmbp15 is already struggling at times). How is this a good product?

Then the ipad mini. Are you kidding me? You need to sandpaper your fingers to use that thing. Its doa, more expensive than the nexus 7 and with less specs.

Apple are really trying to extract as much $$ from their customers as people while they still popular. What happened to Steve Jobs philosophy.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There's a big difference between a 7.9" 4x3 display and a 7" 16x9 display. I don't know why they didn't just call it an 8" display.

Also, as for the Retina MacBook Pro, my only qualm is that they still insist on $300 more for the 256GB SSD. SSD prices are down to $1/GB now. Even with Apple's premiums, they could have made the upgraded version $1899.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Take away the hi-res display of the rmbp13 and you got something that more expensive, larger, heavier and less performance than the MBA13 (rmbp15 is already struggling at times). How is this a good product?
More expensive, yes. Larger, yes. Heavier, yes. Less performance, no. Its CPU has a higher clock frequency. Can't forget being able to power 3 displays too (the MBA can't do that), so that's pretty useful. If you don't like it, then don't buy it, silly goose.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
so it's 'official'..? thanx for letting us know... :rolleyes:

i am a candidate for the new 13"; carrying one around all day in a backpack in nyc? weight sounds perfect. and i don't need an optical drive. i think the 15" is gorgeous; the 13" might be just what i want.

i don't need an ipad, mini or not. but for anyone who lives in apple's ecosystem, it's a great alternative to a 7" android tablet.

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
There's a big difference between a 7.9" 4x3 display and a 7" 16x9 display. I don't know why they didn't just call it an 8" display.

Also, as for the Retina MacBook Pro, my only qualm is that they still insist on $300 more for the 256GB SSD. SSD prices are down to $1/GB now. Even with Apple's premiums, they could have made the upgraded version $1899.

they are ripping off customers left and right... so disappointing! Next thing they are going to sell us will be just "Air" for a premium of course!

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London

Then the ipad mini. Are you kidding me? You need to sandpaper your fingers to use that thing. Its doa, more expensive than the nexus 7 and with less specs.

Apple are really trying to extract as much $$ from their customers as people while they still popular. What happened to Steve Jobs philosophy.

I hate to be one of those guys, but I do have those Scully years fears creeping in. I have a lot to say, but this guy sums it up as well as I can...

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20121023_1-MacBookPro-Retina-13.html

Plus a non-upgradeable small iMac, soldered ram, overpriced "fusion" and ssd, and its not a pretty picture. I'm going to snag a second hand Mac Pro near the announcement for whatever they do with that thing just to lock in a good nearterm future

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
More expensive, yes. Larger, yes. Heavier, yes. Less performance, no. Its CPU has a higher clock frequency. Can't forget being able to power 3 displays too (the MBA can't do that), so that's pretty useful. If you don't like it, then don't buy it, silly goose.

The air can do 2x thunderbolt + its own display. (Actually it can also do 1x thunderbolt and 1x display port so long as you have a thunderbolt ext-drive between the two)

If the 13" rMBP is doing 2x thunderbolt, 1x hdmi and its own its going to have a lot of problems doing so. The 15" has to switch to the dedicated GPU when powering just 2 screens, and given the 13" doesnt have that option, it's going to be a very hard task for it.

----------

so it's 'official'..? thanx for letting us know... :rolleyes:

i am a candidate for the new 13"; carrying one around all day in a backpack in nyc? weight sounds perfect. and i don't need an optical drive. i think the 15" is gorgeous; the 13" might be just what i want.

i don't need an ipad, mini or not. but for anyone who lives in apple's ecosystem, it's a great alternative to a 7" android tablet.
But still almost double the price of the competition's 7" tablet ;)

----------

I don't know why they didn't just call it an 8" display.

Because that would be false advertising.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I hate to be one of those guys, but I do have those Scully years fears creeping in. I have a lot to say, but this guy sums it up as well as I can...

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20121023_1-MacBookPro-Retina-13.html

The difference is DigiLloyd is a hard core photographer and editor. He has a Mac Pro with 64GB and complains that the quad-core 15" with 16GB is too slow at times. As for history, remember it wasn't so much Sculley as it was Spindler and Amelio who really screwed up Apple. Sculley's biggest mistake was granting Microsoft an open-ended license. Apple hasn't made that mistake again.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
The difference is DigiLloyd is a hard core photographer and editor. He has a Mac Pro with 64GB and complains that the quad-core 15" with 16GB is too slow at times. As for history, remember it wasn't so much Sculley as it was Spindler and Amelio who really screwed up Apple. Sculley's biggest mistake was granting Microsoft an open-ended license. Apple hasn't made that mistake again.

Yes, Digilloyd is a photographer, but that's the point of the "pro" moniker.

There are lots and lots of people running Adobe CS5-6. They should think hard about this machine.

I'm a video/film guy, and I have a load of friends who are freelance photographers who might be a target market for these machines for fieldwork - the small form factor is attractive in that sense, but the limits mean they shouldn't do it.

As for the Scully years, its just shorthand for an aggressive monetizing effort with uncertain future roadmap for users

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
The air can do 2x thunderbolt + its own display. (Actually it can also do 1x thunderbolt and 1x display port so long as you have a thunderbolt ext-drive between the two)

If the 13" rMBP is doing 2x thunderbolt, 1x hdmi and its own its going to have a lot of problems doing so. The 15" has to switch to the dedicated GPU when powering just 2 screens, and given the 13" doesnt have that option, it's going to be a very hard task for it.
Proof? Here's what it says on the website about the MBA:
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
Here's what it says about the rMBP:
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors
I'm not sure where you're getting the MBA can do 2x Thunderbolt + display when it only has one Thunderbolt port. And when you can't daisy chain Thunderbolt displays with the MBA either. https://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/16/apple-thunderbolt-display-with-multiple-monitors/

EDIT - I don't have a TB display, let alone two of them, so no idea personally. Just spewing what I've read in hopes to come to the correct information.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Proof? Here's what it says on the website about the MBA:

Here's what it says about the rMBP:

I'm not sure where you're getting the MBA can do 2x Thunderbolt + display when it only has one Thunderbolt port. And when you can't daisy chain Thunderbolt displays with the MBA either. https://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/16/apple-thunderbolt-display-with-multiple-monitors/

EDIT - I don't have a TB display, let alone two of them, so no idea personally. Just spewing what I've read in hopes to come to the correct information.

Here's the cold hard facts:

The 2012 (not the 2011) MacBook Air can do either:

Two Thunderbolt Displays (PLUS its own display)

OR
1x Thunderbolt display + 1x other display (using a miniDisplayPort adaptor) BUT must have another piece of thunderbolt hardware (e.g an external hard drive) inbetween the thunderbolt display and the non-thunderbolt display.

Proof:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/new-macbooks-can-manage-many-many-monitors/

Or even more official proof, on Apples own site:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219#dispnum

Note that whilst the Apple site says it supports two thunderbolt displays, you can do what I said above with the non-TB display and it does work.

Also, the fact that the air only has 1TB port is completely irrelevant as the technology supports daisy-chaining.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

Just to note... his rMBP might be affected by the infamous EFI bug, which brings its performance to a crawl.

I don't have any "slow" problem with my rMBP while working in either Lightroom or Photoshop (when the EFI bug hasn't crept in, that is). Though admittedly, I don't take photos that regularly.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

The 13" Pro has long been "pro" in name only. The fact that it's Apple's best seller is telling. Remember, Apple sells 4 million Macs a quarter, 4 times as many iPads, and 10 times as many iPhones. They are content with a niche market share for OS X.

----------

Because we all knew that Steve Jobs NEVER charged a lot of money for his products.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

If you were looking at 16GB + ssd for extra scratch space, you could handle some pretty massive files without problems. Photoshop specifically doesn't harness extra cores very well. It gains a little, but the diminishing returns are pretty severe at higher core counts. They have fixed a couple things. CS6 can save large files in the background. You can save uncompressed. The 2011s could chew through 2GB+ layered files. I mean the type that have to be saved .psb rather than .psd due to sheer size. The main thing that sucks is the thermals. These machines can run uncomfortably hot under such loads, to the point where even the keyboard feels uncomfortably warm. Adobe applications do take some tuning at times. You can set things like ram allocation. If he users a high number of history state and cache levels or spotlight interferes with his scratch directories, that will make a huge impact on perceived performance.

I'm not really saying whether the guy is wrong. It's just that the issue isn't as simple as this.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Nah OP, you're way wrong about that. You need officials to officially pronounce that kind of stuff. :D

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
13in rMBP= HD4000 only which is crap
iPad Mini= Smaller version of iPad 2 but only 50bucks cheaper w/ no retina
iMac= we will see

I know why Apple's stock is going downhill today

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
it really is depressing to watch; every time apple comes out with something new, forum peeps start proclaiming "apple goes downhill" "apple-FAIL", "this is the worst" etc. etc.

then life goes on, and people buy what they CHOOSE to buy. as always...:D

defektion

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
it really is depressing to watch; every time apple comes out with something new, forum peeps start proclaiming "apple goes downhill" "apple-FAIL", "this is the worst" etc. etc.

then life goes on, and people buy what they CHOOSE to buy. as always...:D

I feel you. The haters are only a smaller % of the Apple market. I'm excited to see this round of Apple products in store.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
As a computer tech I find it useful to have an optical drive I am shocked to hear that people will still be willing to fork out a lot of money for a laptop that has no optical drive or ethernet drive and is not user servicable? Dont give me crap oh you can buy external drives, you cant take that stuff with you everywhere. Makes me think to start charging more to fix pcs with no optical drives cause it makes me waste my time fixing them.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012

Everyone can still buy it, I'm buying a maxed out one to play with and then returning it. It is fun to do fun things like that. Lets everyone do that!

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Gee what a killjoy post. If you don't want one of these products, don't open your wallet. It's that simple. How are Apple going downhill offering updates more often on their products, and introducting a tablet that falls between iPod touch size and the big iPad? One that comes with cams, and Siri? Are you kidding? It will sell like hotcakes.

I really liked this rollout event. I can hardly wait to put in my pre order for the mini iPad and hope to be able to update my iPad this cycle as well. All the rest of the stuff was also very attractive perhaps especially the iMac refresh, and I'm not even a desktop user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.