PDA

View Full Version : When do you expect a MBA redesign?

Mad Mac Maniac
Oct 23, 2012, 03:46 PM
Let me start by saying that I think the current MBA design is great and beautiful. I'm not saying that I'm demanding a redesign, or that I even have a single CLUE as to what Apple could do with a redesign.... but its inevitible that every single device either becomes discontinued or is redesigned.

If you look at the history of Product redesigns (iMac, MBP, and even MBA), the average time to redesign is about 2.5 years. The current MBA is just over two years old. In fact the only product (that I have found) that took longer than 3 years to redesign is the 4 years it took for the unibody MBP (mid 2008) to update to retina (mid 2012).

I understand this is all just speculation, but don't let that stop you! And while we're speculating, what do you think Apple could even do with a MBA redesign?

Mrbobb
Oct 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
Air's competition are the Ultrabooks, and UBs are EXPENSIVE compared to the Air, so I don't think Apple is in a hurry. People here seems to think the next iteration of Ultrabook chipsets is when.

Steve121178
Oct 23, 2012, 04:22 PM
The MBA is the best designed notebook in the world and it's a bit hard to see how they can actually improve it. Maybe make it 1-2mm thinner? Add better battery technology? I don't know.

I think with Haswell it will give the MBA much better graphical capability which will be the real improvement that matters.

KylePowers
Oct 23, 2012, 04:37 PM
I've said it over and over again... just keep it the same, but shove the 13in panel into the 11in chassis and a 14in or 15in panel into the 13in chassis. Life would be perfect!

Mrbobb
Oct 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
I want 10 hr battery life.

HD resolution.

Thinnest bezel possible.

Waterproof keyboard (because I surf and eat), without sacrificing keys travels, no gum-like kbd.

Cellular radio, like iPads.

Siri would be nice.

Revolutionary strong sounding speakers, still too thin.

That's it.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 23, 2012, 05:05 PM

HD resolution.

Thinnest bezel possible.

Waterproof keyboard (because I surf and eat), without sacrificing keys travels, no gum-like kbd.

Cellular radio, like iPads.

Siri would be nice.

Revolutionary strong sounding speakers, still too thin.

That's it.

Wow.. What a rap! That might be a while!

MultiFinder17
Oct 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
Aluminum PowerBook / MacBook Pro: 2003-2008
Power Mac G5 / Mac Pro: 2003-Present
Mac mini G4/CD/C2D: 2005-2010

As it is, the current Air design is only two years old now, and is a refinement of the original design, albeit a thorough one. I wouldn't be surprised to see the current design hang around for another couple of years. It still fits in beautifully with the rest of the product lineup, and works well for its product category.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 24, 2012, 04:27 AM
I'd really like to pull the trigger on an Air. Though I am affraid of a redesign this summer with Haswell. But I guess you could keep waiting for at thing might gonna happend.

Mrbobb
Oct 24, 2012, 11:47 AM
I bet it all depends what the competition do with the Ultrabook. As of now UBs too expensive/undesirable compared to an Air.

MacSignal
Oct 24, 2012, 12:05 PM
When? My guess is second quarter next year. It could be made better with improved battery life, better display, better sound, a better keyboard (travel, feel), another USB port, and a performance bump.

Don't care about thinner than the current models. If it is a wholesale redesign, I wonder about a smaller form factor for the 13 if it could happen without jacking up the internal operating temperature.

Lukewarmwinner
Oct 24, 2012, 12:08 PM
When? My guess is second quarter next year. It could be made better with improved battery life, better display, better sound, a better keyboard (travel, feel), another USB port, and a performance bump.

Don't care about thinner than the current models. If it is a wholesale redesign, I wonder about a smaller form factor for the 13 if it could happen without jacking up the internal operating temperature.

Maybe. June is my guess, but the implantation of Haswell is almost curtain. Don't know bout the display and another ports might be a tad too much. It's stills their "budget" Mac and they want keep it that way

NewbieCanada
Oct 24, 2012, 12:15 PM
Thinnest bezel possible.

On the 11.6 you couldn't shrink them much because the screen portion has to be that width because of the keyboard. But you could increase the screen size and get a thinner bezel that way.

Would also like a 16:10 display on the 11.6 inch model, and of course longer battery life without increasing size or weight.

But in size, weight, ergonomics, feel, elegance of design, it's about as close to perfect as I've ever seen. Put my rMBP in a similar size, shape and weight and I'd be one happy camper.