PDA

View Full Version : Does the MBA come with trial version of Office for Mac?

raptorstv
Oct 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
I need to know thanks!

TheRealDamager
Oct 23, 2012, 04:03 PM
Nope.

raptorstv
Oct 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
Damn so I'll have to spend money for MS Office zzzzzzz.....

Mrbobb
Oct 23, 2012, 04:10 PM
Doesn't even come with Apple's own office apps, they want another $30(?) :(

There are free wares out there if u don't need office compatibility.

Calot
Oct 23, 2012, 04:32 PM
Office = MICROSOFT

MacBook = Apple

hmmmm.

No. No trial.

filmbuff
Oct 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
Just get Open Office.

jmgregory1
Oct 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
I need to know thanks!

I've been all iWork for years and wouldn't ever recommend Office for Mac to anyone. My wife still uses it for her work and she's constantly having issues with app freezes and lost data.

iWork can do just about everything that Office can. If you do highly complex spreadsheets, then yes, you'll want/need excel, but for the basics, it's great how you can create a spreadsheet, document or presentation in the respective iWork apps and email them out as the Office version without even saving them as Office files. I've had zero issue with files not working for colleagues running windows and have in fact been able to open and run a ppt presentation created on ppt that didn't work playing on ppt but worked great on Keynote.

Nermal
Oct 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
Office = MICROSOFT

MacBook = Apple

hmmmm.

No. No trial.

To be fair, Apple used to preinstall the Office trial.

FoxFifth
Oct 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
My last Dell computer (Dell Studio laptop with Windows 7) also did not come with any version of Office installed. I opted for the free Open Office on it but am now using Pages and Numbers on my MacBook Air.

sviato
Oct 23, 2012, 09:52 PM
Ask a friend to put theirs on a USB for you

TheRealDamager
Oct 23, 2012, 10:03 PM
I've been all iWork for years and wouldn't ever recommend Office for Mac to anyone. My wife still uses it for her work and she's constantly having issues with app freezes and lost data.

iWork can do just about everything that Office can. If you do highly complex spreadsheets, then yes, you'll want/need excel, but for the basics, it's great how you can create a spreadsheet, document or presentation in the respective iWork apps and email them out as the Office version without even saving them as Office files. I've had zero issue with files not working for colleagues running windows and have in fact been able to open and run a ppt presentation created on ppt that didn't work playing on ppt but worked great on Keynote.

That's great, and I largely agree with you, but for people who interact with others in a office that uses Windows Office, using Mac Office is pretty important.

person s
Oct 23, 2012, 11:12 PM

yep, all of that - and especially keynote as a superior option over powerpoint
using word 2007 at work is all the aggravation I need

Isira
Oct 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
Trial is not preinstalled, but Microsoft offers a download.
https://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial

jmgregory1
Oct 24, 2012, 07:40 AM
That's great, and I largely agree with you, but for people who interact with others in a office that uses Windows Office, using Mac Office is pretty important.

I've never had any windows/office people complain that docs I send them (in ms format) are not formatted correctly or have problems. In fact I can go further and confirm that some docx docs that colleagues create and send have more issues with compatibility with the windows machines they're running and they end up asking me to open, save and send the doc as a standard word file so they can use it.

Again, I'll agree that if you're creating and using complex excel spreadsheets, you may be wanting with Numbers, but otherwise the worries of compatibility are not what they used to be.