Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ollie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
Hi, i have an ibm workpad C3 (rebadged palm vx) and i want to be able to sync it on my powerbook. However, my powerbook doesnt have a serial port.

i got a cable that supposably enables me to sync over usb but this doesnt work, i dont know what brand it is or anything about it (came with the palm) i've followed some instructions on the net about installing some "PL203" driver but this did nothing.

so what im wondering is if anyone here has a cable to recomend (or some software.)

i've installed the palm desktop software and had some screwing around with isync and hotsync manager, but it doesnt work.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
1) So you have a usb cable for the Palm Vx? Is it the right connector? (some of the connectors Palm used over the years were similar but not the same, so it might sort of fit your palm but not quite.) Or do you mean you have a serial-->usb bridge connector attached to your palm cable?
2) Is it hotsyncing but not putting the info through or not hotsyncing at all?
3) If it is hotsyncing is it generating a hotsync log? Can you post it here?
4) I am pretty sure your first time syncing you want "computer overrides handheld" if that's not set it won't sync properly.
5) What kind of computer/what version of Palm OS and Palm OS desktop do you have? It is possible that the version of Palm OS you have is not isync compatible.

Sorry to innundate you with questions but more info will help to pin down your problem.

-Carly

ollie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
question fear said:
1) So you have a usb cable for the Palm Vx? Is it the right connector? (some of the connectors Palm used over the years were similar but not the same, so it might sort of fit your palm but not quite.) Or do you mean you have a serial-->usb bridge connector attached to your palm cable?
2) Is it hotsyncing but not putting the info through or not hotsyncing at all?
3) If it is hotsyncing is it generating a hotsync log? Can you post it here?
4) I am pretty sure your first time syncing you want "computer overrides handheld" if that's not set it won't sync properly.
5) What kind of computer/what version of Palm OS and Palm OS desktop do you have? It is possible that the version of Palm OS you have is not isync compatible.

Sorry to innundate you with questions but more info will help to pin down your problem.

-Carly

Just got an email back from the people who sent it. you have to have the serial plug AND the usb plug in. At the same time.

the point of the USB plug? No idea.

Recommendations on a USB only would be good.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
ollie said:
Just got an email back from the people who sent it. you have to have the serial plug AND the usb plug in. At the same time.

the point of the USB plug? No idea.

Recommendations on a USB only would be good.

can you explain what that means? they want you to plug in the usb cord to the usb port, and the serial one to the serial port????

i was thinking you were using something like this serial to usb adaptor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.