PDA

View Full Version : Importing MPEG into iTunes

iminimac
Sep 4, 2005, 10:18 AM
I checked the forums but i couldnt find the answer. If i have a music video in MPEG format is there a way to import that into itunes. so i would have my music video in itunes just like the ones i could download from the ITMS?
thanks

Mac_Freak
Sep 4, 2005, 10:39 AM
I checked the forums but i couldnt find the answer. If i have a music video in MPEG format is there a way to import that into itunes. so i would have my music video in itunes just like the ones i could download from the ITMS?
thanks

None that I know of and don't think that it is supported by iTunes.
I just convert mpeg to .mov file with QuickTime Pro

iminimac
Sep 4, 2005, 10:42 AM
None that I know of and don't think that it is supported by iTunes.
I just convert mpeg to .mov file with QuickTime Pro

Will i be able to watch it in quicktime? and could i just change the file exstension if i wanted it a .mov file?

Mac_Freak
Sep 4, 2005, 10:48 AM
Will i be able to watch it in quicktime? and could i just change the file exstension if i wanted it a .mov file?

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. But you could watch it in QuickTime.
Try searching for some app on version tracker that could convert .mpeg files to .mov

iminimac
Sep 4, 2005, 10:52 AM
would itunes be able to import .mov files? and if not what are the advantages of watching a .mov file instead of a mpeg file in quicktime?

buryyourbrideau
Sep 4, 2005, 10:54 AM
you cannot import movie files into iTunes

Mac_Freak
Sep 4, 2005, 10:58 AM
I have some .mpg files that play well in QuickTime, but few of .mpeg wouldn't play.
I guess it depends what codec (as well its version) that was used to make that .mpeg file.
Sorry, there isn't much more I can help you.

iminimac
Sep 4, 2005, 10:59 AM
is there a type of file i could import? if i changed the mpeg file to another file exstension which one would import into itunes?

Mac_Freak
Sep 4, 2005, 11:02 AM
you cannot import movie files into iTunes

You can import .mov files into iTunes 4.9 and watch them too.
Here is a pic of iTunes playing a video from "live 8" concert, it is in .mov format.

Note that little icon next to the title of the song. You can even play that video full screen or in separate window. Pic 2 shows the prefrences for iTunes, look the last option at the bottom.

buryyourbrideau
Sep 4, 2005, 12:07 PM
im pretty sure that itunes can only play .mov files that are bundled with tracks from the itunes store. i just tried to import a .mov file and it does not let you.

Mac_Freak
Sep 4, 2005, 12:14 PM
im pretty sure that itunes can only play .mov files that are bundled with tracks from the itunes store. i just tried to import a .mov file and it does not let you.
That video by Dido in the the previous picture is a .mov and it is not from iTunes and it does work. As well as many others that I have converted from .mpg and .mpeg to .mov

Here is the movie preview from apple.com/quicktime section it is .mov

sandman42
Sep 4, 2005, 02:15 PM

After seeing your previous post (saying you can't import into iTunes) I tried it. I selected "Add to Library" in iTunes, then browsed to a QT movie that I know did not come from the ITMS, and iTunes imported it and plays it just fine.

I'm curious why it didn't work for you. As an experiment I tried selecting other types of movies (like .avi, .wmv, etc) and, while iTunes lets you select them (they're not greyed out), it won't actually add them to your library. It has worked with every .mov file I've tried, though.

AdamZ
Sep 4, 2005, 02:15 PM
iTunes works great for storing movies. I drag and import my own .mov files and .mpeg files that I save off the net, all the time. Just drag them to the dock icon or the window and it just works. What am I missing here? Just remember to go ahead and delete the original since iTunes makes its own copy. The only problem it the integration with the other iApps. There needs to be a separate pane for movies, instead of just Pictures and Music in iMovie for instance. You have to make a smart playlist instead.

sandman42
Sep 4, 2005, 08:13 PM
I drag and import my own .mov files and .mpeg files that I save off the net, all the time.

Sure 'nuff. I just tried it with a .mpeg and it worked fine too. Doesn't work with WinD'ohs based files, like .avi and .wmv, etc.

iminimac, if you're listening, you should be able to import your .mpg movie into iTunes by any of the methods listed above. When in doubt, just try it -- you may be pleased to find out that, like it is with lots of Apple things, it just works. Good luck!

Xeem
Sep 5, 2005, 01:31 AM
I only have one music video in iTunes; it is an MPEG of Tribute (Tenacious D) and it works perfectly.