PDA

View Full Version : How many people are recent switchers?

lmalave
Nov 22, 2002, 11:08 AM
I've seen quite a few posts lately from folks whose recent new iBook or TiBook purchase was their first Mac (or at least their first in a long while). I have a feeling new new iBook and TiBook prices are pushing people to try the Mac (it worked for me), and was wondering how many folks out there fit into this category. For me, besides the incredible $1300 price for the 12.1" 800MHz iBook with 384MB RAM, I was also very impressed by Mac OS X, so I was predisposed to make the jump anyway...

How many folks out there switched recently and what finally made you do it?

SilvorX
Nov 22, 2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by lmalave
I've seen quite a few posts lately from folks whose recent new iBook or TiBook purchase was their first Mac (or at least their first in a long while). I have a feeling new new iBook and TiBook prices are pushing people to try the Mac (it worked for me), and was wondering how many folks out there fit into this category. For me, besides the incredible $1300 price for the 12.1" 800MHz iBook with 384MB RAM, I was also very impressed by Mac OS X, so I was predisposed to make the jump anyway...

How many folks out there switched recently and what finally made you do it?
im not really a switcher, i was fascinated by macs even before i ever used a pc in my life, even on the day i was getting my first "modern" computer i was thinking of either getting a P3 machine (had about 20 gigs storage) or an iMac (i ended up getting a puter i didnt really want...
i can remember a few months after getting this computer i was looking around at the apple.com website and comparing macs... but from time to time i was anti-mac....
but now im converting to mac, even tho i used macs ever since i was little (at school), and i couldnt be happier lol...
so i dont really have a story...

macwannabe
Nov 24, 2002, 03:53 PM
I'd love a mac but they are too expensive. I have a PC that works (most of the time) and is very good when it does but is a pain when it doesn't. I can upgrade this PC to the latest and greatest PC for next to nothing (maybe a couple of hundred just to change the chip or graphics card) but I am looking at at least 1000 to get a Mac so I will never be able to jusity the expense. :(

macwannabe
Nov 24, 2002, 03:59 PM
I'd love a mac but they are too expensive. I have a PC that works (most of the time) and is very good when it does but is a pain when it doesn't. I can upgrade this PC to the latest and greatest PC for next to nothing (maybe a couple of hundred just to change the chip or graphics card) but I am looking at at least 1000 to get a Mac so I will never be able to jusity the expense. :(

Groovsonic
Nov 24, 2002, 04:15 PM
I just switched about 2 months ago. I had a horrible gateway celeron piece of crap. We were going to but a dreadful e-machine because they are cheap, but after looking around, I decided on a mac. I had to convince my parents that the extra cost (about $1500 more) was worth it, and I have to pay for a third of it, but we ended up with a 17in. FP iMac, and I am really groovin on it.

Fantastic!

Wano
Dec 4, 2002, 10:26 PM
i am still using my dell PIII 933mhz, which is very very slow and crashes on me at least once a day....but soon i will be getting a mac...the reason i've decided to switch is because my uncle told me all these great things about apple, after that i did some researchand found that a apple is exactly what i need for dv editing. also, i have switched about 3 of my friends.

TyleRomeo
Dec 4, 2002, 10:51 PM
i switched and wish i had sooner. Im never going back to PCs, ever.

Tyler

demonx
Dec 4, 2002, 11:01 PM
I didn't really "switch" as I still have my desktop but mainly for gaming.

A friend at work had an iBook and he ketp showing me OSX and the interface, and the desing of the iBook. I found myself wanting to try it out more and more, and then I found this place read alot of threads, watched the "New iBook rumors" unfold and ordered mine shortly afterwards. I must say im loving every minute of it:D

vniow
Dec 5, 2002, 12:08 AM
I'm not.

I just got a Blueberry iBook but my PC's alive and well and it's probably going to stay that way.
Hopefully I won't be running Windows on it much longer, but I don't think I'll ever really 'switch'. Now that I use both platforms, I think I'd get bored if I could only use one.
http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/ppphhht.gif

benixau
Dec 5, 2002, 12:09 AM
i switched because my pc died. i had it for four years and had tried all froms of unix andd linux on it and the i got a pmac. runs, has a few sleep problems but then thats cause if i go a day without using terminal then i probably havent used the amc that day. i use my mac every day so ...

basically my pc components (RAM, optical drives) went into a family computer (pc). reason i didnt keep an optical was casue the burner (4x4x32) was slower than my SD and the dvd drive (16x48x) was better used for reading than the burner. also i may have gotten an imac 17" so i didnt want the opticals for that anyway.

and i also got a 17" sony E230, an HP 5550c and MS Office v.X, Pshop elements 2 and illustrator 10.

pretty good deal eh?

howard
Dec 5, 2002, 12:38 AM
technically i was forced (but extremely willingly) to switch to a mac about 3 months ago, now i got an ibook 700mhz and i love it...woo hoo! this post makes me a member!

daniel77
Dec 5, 2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Wano
i am still using my dell PIII 933mhz, which is very very slow and crashes on me at least once a day....but soon i will be getting a mac...the reason i've decided to switch is because my uncle told me all these great things about apple, after that i did some researchand found that a apple is exactly what i need for dv editing. also, i have switched about 3 of my friends.

dell 933 is slow???? :eek:

I am using a dell dimension 667 :confused:

iShater
Dec 5, 2002, 05:35 PM
Well, I am not a switcher yet ... just because i don't have the $$$ to spend on a new system.

I think I will be a dual system user, my newest machine is an Celeron 400 laptop.

I finally convinved the wife that we should get an iBook for my next computer, so hopefully that won't be too long from now :D

I am sure I will also build a PC for gaming :p

Thanatoast
Dec 5, 2002, 06:26 PM
I switched in September. What made me do it my last attempt at trying to update/rebuild my machine. I bought a new v/c, proc, mobo and ram. When all the pieces finally came, I put them all together and of course nothing worked, and nothing told me why it wasn't working. I went for a FULL MONTH sending various parts back and forth to vendors (the shipping alone was horrendous) and after replacing the proc for the third time, I finally threw my hands up in the air and said "That does it! I'm buying a Mac!" (horrified gasp from friends and family) So I went to the local apple store (now we have two! yea!) and pointed at the 17" imac, "I want that one." And lo, it was done. For those who say it is too expensive, I feel the need to point out 1) apple loans 2) the only money i've spent on my mac since then was for a 512 stick of ram from pricewatch.com which I installed myself 3) the general frustration that comes from owning a pc has disapeared, which is worth more than mere cash. Switch and be happy. (sorry for the novel, just had to say everything)

taeclee99
Dec 5, 2002, 06:40 PM
I actually switched back to the mac. I am happy to say that I am a proud owner of the new 1 gig tibook/superdrive. This thing sure beats the pants of my old lombard!!!

Jikamones
Dec 5, 2002, 06:58 PM
As of now, I have a Dell PIII 1Ghz with Microsoft ME (and yes, this not MS's best OS). I've been facinated with Mac's for almost a year, and especially the powerbooks. I need a new computer for college next year (engineering), and I want to be a switcher. I was wondering if now is the best time to get a tibook, or should I wait until after the MWSF? Any ideas?

Frisco
Dec 5, 2002, 07:04 PM
I am switching within the next 2 weeks and don't plan to ever look back!

hui__lim
Dec 5, 2002, 07:21 PM
I'm a switcher, well technically not yet as I haven't received my PB (the one with a superdrive). Been nearly waiting for 6 weeks and its been an extremely frustrating one
Never ever user a Mac but have heard people saying that Macs are excellent (i.e. my computer science tutor is in LOVE with Macs and he kinda persuaded me to get one)
:D :D

mdouglas
Dec 5, 2002, 08:21 PM
I'm a recent switcher - replaced a 1 year old Dell desktop and a practically new Windows laptop with an iMac and iBook, respectively. I'm sure that some of the members of this forum have tired of my fairly remedial questions, but I'm very happy with the switch. As an example, I paid about 3K for my "movie studio" Dell PC about a year ago. I dreamed of having a digital workstation to burn movies for grandparents, download music, etc. Well, after numerous hours on the phone with Dell and various software companies trying to get the bundled software, firewire, etc. on that computer to (unsuccessfully) work, I ended up using the machine for internet perusing and the occassional Powerpoint presentation. In other words, I could've spent about $1000 for a Windows machine that would've accomplished the same crap.

Then....... I bought in to the Apple ads and purchased an iMac / digital hub. At the same time, I rid myself of most vestiges of my former PC world (even ditched AOL for a .Mac account). Other than buying Microsoft office for Macs, I've completely left Microsoft (still have an Xbox, though). Eventually got an iBook / Airport / etc. - all in the past 6 weeks. Incidentally, the IT people at my office said that an Apple laptop would "crash" our network and that I wasn't to hook it up. Well, I didn't listen to them (they indirectly work for me), and I've had no trouble integrating my iBook in to the office system.

Am I happy? Very! Heck, they could put me in an Apple ad - I'm burning DVD's, saving music to my iPod, and built my website on my .Mac account in an hour one Sunday.

Sincerely,
Mark Douglas (new convert to the faith)

P.S. Now that I've done my part to contribute to the longevity of the Apple system, when do y'all teach me the secret handshake?

scem0
Dec 5, 2002, 10:05 PM
I am a recent switcher - but to a PC :(. I only had $700 for a comp
and it was either a 400 MHz Mac or a 2,400 MHz PC. I just couldn't
resist the PC. I sure do miss Mac OS X and iTunes though......

Over Achiever
Dec 6, 2002, 08:14 AM
Me, I'm not truly a switcher. My Pentium MMX 200 MHz was built solidly by NEC, and I've really had no hardware problems with it.

Software wise...I must be in the minority because I've never had it crash on me...say one every couple of months. Even now, I'm running Folding at Home full time on it, 24/7 with no problems for a couple of months now.

So even though I'll now be using my ti-book full time, I can still use by old desktop until I upgrade it. Word processing works just fine, and so does playing some old games like Myst and Riven.

So not really a switcher, but it'll be my first apple I own. :D And one hell of a laptop! :D

rjrufo
Dec 6, 2002, 08:54 AM
I bought my first Mac almost two years ago, a 400Mhz TiBook. I still have (soon to be had) a HP Pavilion PC, but I just ordered two new 17" iMacs earlier this week. They're due to arrive on 12/10/02. I can't wait!
I've been a PC user for a long time, but in the early 90's, was introduced to Mac. I couldn't do as much on it as my PC due to the limited software, but I was impressed by the stability of it. At the time, my PC would crash almost on a regular basis, but the Mac never did. I never considered buying one because I didn't think there was any software that I would need, but about two years ago, I stumbled onto the Apple web site. I found that there was more software than I thought. Then OS-X came out...then I was hooked.
I bought my TiBook, then it kind of just took over as my primary computer. I didn't mean to do it that way, but I just found myself enjoying the OS-X GUI more and more. Once my iMac's come in, the HP will become my boat anchor.

kzoonut
Dec 6, 2002, 09:25 AM
Switched with an eMac back in August - just sold that on eBay to pay for a Dual 867 PowerMac. The Dual just shipped from the AppleStore yesterday, should be here next week!!

Can't wait!!

Juventuz
Dec 6, 2002, 12:52 PM
I switched back in August and will never go back. Of course I have to use a PC at work, but I'll never buy another PC computer again.

I had a P3 500 mhz and it was getting to be too much trouble. I always said that I would get laptop for my next computer. I did a bit of research and decided to go with a TiPB. The only think I regret is not have a 60 gig hd and Superdrive in it.

Oh well, I'm gonna pick up a G4 desktop soon anyways :D

Fukui
Dec 6, 2002, 02:25 PM
I actually switched two years ago because of OS X and the Cube. I never really knew how much MS copied apple until I started to use a mac... then you realize!

iMovie - Windows Movie Maker
OSX - WinXP with bevel-edge windows etc.
Quicktime - WMP
iTunes song-rating - WinMP 9
Airport - MS's Networking HW
OS X Public Beta - XP Public Beta
Apple Digital hub - Gate's Digital Hub

Once I lerned about NeXT, now Apple, I learned even more how much MS copied them too!
Amazing...
can't wait for Longhorn for more comparisons...

SilvorX
Dec 9, 2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Fukui
iMovie - Windows Movie Maker
hmmm probably true, win moovie maker was introduced in win me and around the same time in os 9 (i dont think it was on the original version of os9 tho)
OSX - WinXP with bevel-edge windows etc.
yep :p
Quicktime - WMP
meh, kinda, it was introduced in 91 or so in win 3x just for wav/midi sounds
iTunes song-rating - WinMP 9
yep :p, i think theres another feature of wimp9 thats also on itunes
Airport - MS's Networking HW
hmmm never used ms's networking thing tho
OS X Public Beta - XP Public Beta
yep
Apple Digital hub - Gate's Digital Hub
even tho gates is bringing in weird features to basically destroy their own digital hub...

can't wait for Longhorn for more comparisons...
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_alpha.asp

pnz999
Dec 9, 2002, 07:46 PM
When will MS release Longhorn?

Thanatoast
Dec 9, 2002, 11:33 PM
too soon, no matter when.

Rower_CPU
Dec 10, 2002, 12:50 AM
I got my first Mac last October, but I've used Macs for a couple years now.

I built 3 PCs prior to that, and while the novelty and experience were great, it was a constant headache. Between hardware incompatabilities, driver issues and good old Windows nuttiness I decided I was never going to build another. I have sold or given away all of them and am proudly Mac-only in my house.

Oh, and MsV, it's not called "boredom" only having one system, it's called contentment. :)