PDA

View Full Version : iMac OSX Discs: OK to install on MBA?

chevychase
Oct 24, 2012, 09:40 AM
Can I use my factory 10.6.4 OSX install discs that came with my 27" i7 quad core for a fresh install on a 2010 MBA? The 2 will always be in separate locations and never on the same network.

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!!

maflynn
Oct 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
No, its against the EULA, and the disks are keyed to the model it was shipped with, that is it will only work on the same iMac model, not the MBA.

GGJstudios
Oct 24, 2012, 09:45 AM
The grey install discs that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models. You can order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple (800-767-2775 in the US).

chevychase
Oct 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
OK, thanks guys!

joshaarons
Oct 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
ignore what the others said about EULA. The restore disk's that come with machines are machine and build specific. So installing the iMac to another unit won't work and cause problems. I've seen instances where the OS will install fine, but then airport or sound or wacky items just dont work. Go to the App store and buy for $19.99 the OS, or look online via torrents

chevychase
Oct 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
ignore what the others said about EULA. The restore disk's that come with machines are machine and build specific. So installing the iMac to another unit won't work and cause problems. I've seen instances where the OS will install fine, but then airport or sound or wacky items just dont work. Go to the App store and buy for $19.99 the OS, or look online via torrents

Thanks for the input Josh. What got me thinking it "MAY" work is how Apple sells their Retail OSX DVD's that work for all models.

balamw
Oct 24, 2012, 12:11 PM
Retail OSX DVD's that work for all models.

These are a different beast than the model specific grey discs.

10.6 was the last version of OS X available on disc, and you should still be able to get a retail copy for US$29 from Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE. Should you not be able to or want to upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8.

Even there, you may have an issue in that those retail discs are intended for any Mac released before the disc was pressed. If the Mac is newer than the disc, you may still have issues installing.

B

chevychase
Oct 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
These are a different beast than the model specific grey discs.

10.6 was the last version of OS X available on disc, and you should still be able to get a retail copy for US$29 from Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE. Should you not be able to or want to upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8.

Even there, you may have an issue in that those retail discs are intended for any Mac released before the disc was pressed. If the Mac is newer than the disc, you may still have issues installing.

B

Love this site and the brains on it. Thanks balamw for the heads up!