Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pete1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Buffalo, NY (suburbs)
I have the "new" iPad (3rd gen) with LTE on Verizon, 32GB White. I purchased it about 2 weeks after

It has worked flawlessly as a personal hotspot from the day I bought it, until upgrading to iOS 6.

After the iOS 6 upgrade, I can connect without an issue the first time I use persona hotspot (either of my 2 laptops or my iphone). If I turn Personal Hotspot off or let it time out, my devices will take a long time, but seemingly connect to the hotspot and pull an IP address (170.20.10.x). The problem is that I cannot connect to the internet. My work laptop (Windows 7) will report limited connectivity, my macbook will report that it can't connect to the internet and my iphone will fall back to the cellular connection (3G EVDO) for internet.

If I restart the iPad (by holding home and power buttons), I can use the hotspot ONCE normally and all devices can connect to the internet. The process repeats and if I turn it off or it times out, I have to restart again to use the hotspot.

I have "reset network settings" on the iPad but this had no impact, and the problem persists.

What else can I do to restore the personal hotspot functionality?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.