PDA

View Full Version : Any iPhone users tempted by the Nexus 4?

El3ctronics
Oct 24, 2012, 10:35 AM
I've switched back and forth b/w iPhone and Android devices for the past 2 years and preordered the iPhone 5 as soon as possible. I'm enjoying the phone so far but iOS definitely feels a bit stale and very closed even though I think the app ecosystem and design is superior. Anyway, I saw the press image below of the Nexus 4 this morning that is rumored to be released next week and it got me thinking whether it's worth selling the iPhone and switching back. Anyone else in a similar situation?

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/108579/a5-eqeycmae4lzs.jpg-large.jpeg

basesloaded190
Oct 24, 2012, 10:37 AM
That looks like a bad blackberry. I think last year's nexus was much better looking.

jetlitheone
Oct 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
Hell no ive tried them all including the s3 android just sucks imo

El3ctronics
Oct 24, 2012, 10:39 AM
That looks like a bad blackberry. I think last year's nexus was much better looking.

Well the front looks pretty much identical to the Galaxy Nexus and I think the back of this device looks superior (and a little different). But it's all a matter of opinion.

----------

Hell no ive tried them all including the s3 android just sucks imo

I wouldn't use any device that has a manufacturer overlay over Android. Ruins the whole experience. To me, a Nexus device w/ pure stock Android is the only type of Android device I'd ever use.

ixodes
Oct 24, 2012, 11:02 AM
I'm definitely buying a Nexus 4.

Every Nexus to date has been quite good, the last one is currently my favorite smartphone, just ahead of my iPhone 4S.

The HD IPS display on this new Nexus will be simply outstanding.

Yet that said I was hoping that Apple would catch up and include a relevant modern sized display on the iP5. But hey, there's always next year. I'm finding my 4S so much nicer than the iPhone 5 I retired.

Build quality of the 4S is excellent, no scuffs to dictate a case, and overall just a better phone. Running iOS 5, I'm enjoying reliable trouble free operation. None of the frustrations of iOS 6.

Give Apple another year to catch up, then I'll take another look.

El3ctronics
Oct 24, 2012, 11:10 AM
I'm definitely buying a Nexus 4.

Every Nexus to date has been quite good, the last one is currently my favorite smartphone, just ahead of my iPhone 4S.

The HD IPS display on this new Nexus will be simply outstanding.

Yet that said I was hoping that Apple would catch up and include a relevant modern sized display on the iP5. But hey, there's always next year. I'm finding my 4S so much nicer than the iPhone 5 I retired.

Build quality of the 4S is excellent, no scuffs to dictate a case, and overall just a better phone. Running iOS 5, I'm enjoying reliable trouble free operation. None of the frustrations of iOS 6.

Give Apple another year to catch up, then I'll take another look.

I completely disagree with you about the iPhone 5 vs. the 4S and iOS 6 vs. iOS 5 (except for Maps). That being said, I wonder how this device is going to be sold. I'm hoping for ~$350 with no contract while being able to use it on AT&T w/ LTE. Though I'd be a bit flexible on price, without it being AT&T LTE capable, it's not even an option for me.

Psycho Mantis
Oct 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
Depends on off contract price. I really like the Nexus because as already mentioned, it is pure Android, no carrier bloat ware or useless apps. And we know it will pretty much always recieve updates first, something other OEMs can't seem to keep up with.

wx4olf
Oct 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
Nah, the Nexus series has always been a little weak in the camera area compared to the iphone 4s/5 and galaxy s3 phones. I like the idea of stock Android but CM10 is pretty good on my galaxy so I'll just stick with going the custom rom route and what I think is slightly better hardware.

BornAgainMac
Oct 24, 2012, 11:54 AM
The back of the iPhone 5 looks better than the front of the Nexus 4.

JS82712
Oct 24, 2012, 11:57 AM
I've switched back and forth b/w iPhone and Android devices for the past 2 years and preordered the iPhone 5 as soon as possible. I'm enjoying the phone so far but iOS definitely feels a bit stale and very closed even though I think the app ecosystem and design is superior. Anyway, I saw the press image below of the Nexus 4 this morning that is rumored to be released next week and it got me thinking whether it's worth selling the iPhone and switching back. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Image (http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/108579/a5-eqeycmae4lzs.jpg-large.jpeg)

no matter what you buy, you always lose when it comes to buying android
Buying a nexus: only way to ensure long-term OS updates, stock android, BUT, nexus is always behind when it comes to spec (because the manufacturer wants to reserve their best hardware for their own flagship device)

Buying a flagship from any android oem: you lose software update support, skinned hideous android, excellent hardware.

speaking of which, most of my friends with a galaxy nexus hate this LG nexus due to its lack of significant improvements.

craftytony
Oct 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
Doesn't look like anything special.....

JS82712
Oct 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
Doesn't look like anything special.....

this is a good way to make fandroids who claimed that iPhone 5 is not a redesign shut up

epphllps
Oct 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
This is an iPhone forum...expect very few unbiased opinions. I like iOS and android. Android does not suck, as some like to put it. It is still young and needs more optimizing, but due to fragmentation and all other variables it will be hard to do. If google dared to have more control over android it would be a great experience. Pure android is nice, but you will experience a few more bugs as compared to iOS.

applebro
Oct 24, 2012, 12:12 PM
I keep an open mind when it comes to electronics (to a certain extent). If LG makes this phone instead of Samsung then HELL NO.

Brb LG flip phone had to be returned so many times they gave me another LG phone. That one messed up several times.
Brb LG display has some IR on the retina display. Afraid to return it for another because I may get one that has much worse IR

Owned a properly functioning LG product? Not even once.

I was actually contemplating the Galaxy Nexus before I chose the iPhone 5. What really pushed me to iPhone 5 was the integration between apple products

cynics
Oct 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
I like the back. It's like a throw back to the OG nexus. As far as wanting it, sure but I enjoy my iPhone 4S enough to wait till the next iPhone unless the Nexus completely blows me away.

bjb.butler
Oct 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
speaking of which, most of my friends with a galaxy nexus hate this LG nexus due to its lack of significant improvements.

Your friends don't know what they are talking about.

-The screen is non-pentile IPS, much better than the one on the galaxy nexus.
-the quad core krait processor in the LG is way ahead of the dual core A9 in the gnex
-The adreno 320 gpu absolutely destroys the pos that was in the gnex
-Double the ram
-Bigger battery
-Better cameras

Lack of significant improvements?

JS82712
Oct 24, 2012, 12:32 PM
Your friends don't know what they are talking about.

-The screen is non-pentile IPS, much better than the one on the galaxy nexus.
-the quad core krait processor in the LG is way ahead of the dual core A9 in the gnex
-The adreno 320 gpu absolutely destroys the pos that was in the gnex
-Double the ram
-Bigger battery
-Better cameras

Lack of significant improvements?

..actually, they are the ones who tinker with their phones everyday, experimenting with different ROMs..etc

all of those things you mentioned, are just about any 'improvements' you'd expect to see from one generation to the next, or in other words, a mere spec bump.

If you love android so much, feel free to leave, and mods needs to move this thread to the 'alternatives' forum so my eyes don't need to get polluted.

bjb.butler
Oct 24, 2012, 12:43 PM
all of those things you mentioned, are just about any 'improvements' you'd expect to see from one generation to the next, or in other words, a mere spec bump.

If you love android so much, feel free to leave, and mods needs to move this thread to the 'alternatives' forum so my eyes don't need to get polluted.

The Spec bumps are similar as those from ip4S to IP.. I'm sure no one is complaining that those aren't significant improvements.

If those are "Any improvements you'd expect to see from one generation to the next" why do your friends "hate" the new nexus? It makes no sense.

Also, I'm trying to understand why me stating facts comparing two phones (neither of which I have nor intend to purchase) leads you to believe I "love" android...

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 12:55 PM
I don't have a smartphone presently. I would love to get an iPhone, but I really need transit directions. I think Android is the better OS for a phone, but I prefer the iPhone in all the other ways.

Faux Carnival
Oct 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
I'm currently using an iPhone 4S and I'm thinking of switching. Pure Android Jelly Bean is years ahead of iOS 6 IMO. Plus for the first time a Nexus really comes with killer hardware.

cynics
Oct 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
Software is the point of a Nexus phone. It's a developers phone. While the hardware is always decent it's rarely been the best and if it is its only for like a couple of weeks.

I prefer software over hardware any day. Unfortunately with developing the camera can usually be skimped on a bit.

Faux Carnival
Oct 24, 2012, 01:17 PM
no matter what you buy, you always lose when it comes to buying android
Buying a nexus: only way to ensure long-term OS updates, stock android, BUT, nexus is always behind when it comes to spec (because the manufacturer wants to reserve their best hardware for their own flagship device)

Buying a flagship from any android oem: you lose software update support, skinned hideous android, excellent hardware.

This was the case last year. Samsung put in crap processor, crap GPU, crap camera and crap display in order not to cannibalize Galaxy sales. But as far as I know, LG Nexus 4 will have the same hardware as Optimus G. (if not better)

tbayrgs
Oct 24, 2012, 01:31 PM
I'm tempted, but then again, I'm tempted to get a lot of new tech, a habit that can get a bit expensive. :eek:

I like the design of the rumored Nexus 4 but no LTE (if rumors are true) and limited memory are likely going to keep me from getting one. I'm honestly more interested right now in the Lumia 920, just waiting for a release date (come on already!) and a chance to check it out in person.

zbarvian
Oct 24, 2012, 01:35 PM
Not really, but almost.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 24, 2012, 01:54 PM
I have been an iPhone user since 2007 and this Nexus is on the top of my list for my next phone. I returned the iPhone 5 (twice) because it wasn't different enough than the iPhone 4 I'm using now.

Someone above said it right. The Nexus is about software and won't be at the absolute bleeding edge of specs. HOWEVER, this LG Nexus is pretty much there. The only other "better" spec it could have is a 1080P screen and those aren't proven yet.

I find it hard to resist hardware and realize that software is more important which is why I am tempted by the HTC 5in 1080P phone that is coming up.

This nexus is based off of the newly released LG Optimus G and reviews for that phone have been awesome so far. The place where it is lacking is software and being a Nexus will fix that.

So to answer the question I am beyond tempted for this phone and don't see anything better. It will get the latest and greatest from Google super fast just like Apple does with iPhone and there is no contract so if needed I can switch carriers or phones whenever I want. I'm thinking I am going to start doing a yearly upgrade cycle instead of a two year cycle.

Six8
Oct 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
If it has LTE yes it'll be mine, all mine!!

blackhand1001
Oct 24, 2012, 03:17 PM
Nah, the Nexus series has always been a little weak in the camera area compared to the iphone 4s/5 and galaxy s3 phones. I like the idea of stock Android but CM10 is pretty good on my galaxy so I'll just stick with going the custom rom route and what I think is slightly better hardware.

The nexus 4 will have groundbreaking specs this time around. It will have the snapdragon s4 pro which is much faster than the s3. Both in cpu and gpu. The gpu is much faster.

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 03:45 PM
For what it's worth, the back is a sort of homage to the original Nexus live wallpaper:

http://www.bestandroidappsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Top-Android-App-Cleaner-Nexus-Live-Wallpaper-Clean.png

----------

If it has LTE yes it'll be mine, all mine!!

It won't have LTE when sold from the Play Store. It will have LTE when it goes to carrier-specific versions (like the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon/Sprint). Those versions will likely be sold with their respective 2-year plans too.

----------

I wonder how this device is going to be sold. I'm hoping for ~$350 with no contract.

The unlocked version is expected to come in at $399 for 8GB and then $450 for 16GB and will be sold through the Play Store (<- no doubt about that).

The carrier-specific versions will probably have LTE and be sold with 2-year plans.

----------

The only one misstep with the Nexus 4 will be the storage options. I get that they want to hit that low price point of $399 with the 8GB. Fine. Great. All good. And 16GB at only $50 dollars more--sweet. But why not also offer a 32GB at $100 dollars more? Or even $529 (the original Nexus S price)?

There are rumors the 8 and 16GB storage sizes are just for initial release, and that they'll be adding the 32GB after. I hope it's sooner rather than later. If they can shuffle the price down to where it's $399 for 16GB and $450 for 32GB (like they're doing with the Nexus 7) then I think I can forgive them for the wait. :)

Otherwise, the specs are great. Anyone who says otherwise are fools or have ridiculous expectations. S4 quad-core? 2GB RAM? New battery technology? LCD screen? C'mon now.

As for the back, it's love or hate.

EDIT: One more concern is that the camera might disappoint.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
for what it's worth, the back is a sort of homage to the original nexus live wallpaper:

image (http://www.bestandroidappsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/top-android-app-cleaner-nexus-live-wallpaper-clean.png)

----------

it won't have lte when sold from the play store. It will have lte when it goes to carrier-specific versions (like the galaxy nexus for verizon/sprint). Those versions will likely be sold with their respective 2-year plans too.

----------

the unlocked version is expected to come in at $399 for 8gb and then $450 for 16gb and will be sold through the play store (<- no doubt about that).

The carrier-specific versions will probably have lte and be sold with 2-year plans.

----------

the only one misstep with the nexus 4 will be the storage options. I get that they want to hit that low price point of $399 with the 8gb. Fine. Great. All good. And 16gb at only $50 dollars more--sweet. But why not also offer a 32gb at $100 dollars more? Or even $529 (the original nexus s price)?

There are rumors the 8 and 16gb storage sizes are just for initial release, and that they'll be adding the 32gb after. I hope it's sooner rather than later. If they can shuffle the price down to where it's $399 for 16gb and $450 for 32gb (like they're doing with the nexus 7) then i think i can forgive them for the wait. :)

otherwise, the specs are great. Anyone who says otherwise are fools or have ridiculous expectations. S4 quad-core? 2gb ram? New battery technology? Lcd screen? C'mon now.

As for the back, it's love or hate.

Edit: One more concern is that the camera might disappoint.

+1

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 03:56 PM
And I keep forgetting that the LG Nexus will have wireless charging. That's one thing we haven't really seen leak yet.

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 03:57 PM
Does the Nexus 4 display also use LG's "Zerogap Touch" that the Optimus G has?

----------

And I keep forgetting that the LG Nexus will have wireless charging. That's one thing we haven't really seen leak yet.

This has been "confirmed" by leaks/rumors?

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 04:01 PM

----------

This has been "confirmed" by leaks/rumors?

Not really. But it was in a whole bunch of rumors. It could also be untrue.

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 04:15 PM
Google it. I just did again and apparently the FCC confirmed it. So I'd say it's pretty likely. Just interested on the details.

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 04:27 PM
Google it. I just did again and apparently the FCC confirmed it. So I'd say it's pretty likely. Just interested on the details.

Nice.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 24, 2012, 04:38 PM

Yeah I keep forgetting about this too. One of the features I'm looking forward to. I good source said this. I forgot the site. Macado or something like that.

----------

From what I have read, yes. I guess we won't know officially until Monday. But it's highly likely since its based off the Optimus G

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
I haven't really considered the carrier version. Benefits would be to save $250 and get LTE. Aren't the GNex carrier versions very easy to root and flash?? That would get me the latest version.

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 04:52 PM
I haven't really considered the carrier version. Benefits would be to save $250 and get LTE. Aren't the GNex carrier versions very easy to root and flash?? That would get me the latest version.

Yeah, they are. The carrier versions always have an unlockable bootloader. Personally I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile to get the Google Play store version.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 24, 2012, 05:01 PM
Yeah, they are. The carrier versions always have an unlockable bootloader. Personally I'm switching from Verizon to T-Mobile to get the Google Play store version.

So if they are easy to root and get the latest version then let me ask why are you switching to the unlocked version? Cheaper monthly bill? Is that all?

onthecouchagain
Oct 24, 2012, 05:03 PM
So if they are easy to root and get the latest version then let me ask why are you switching to the unlocked version? Cheaper monthly bill? Is that all?

Plus who knows when the carrier versions will be available.

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 05:06 PM

My bill would be the same regardless, I'm on a family plan right now. But I want the pure Nexus from Google. And I want it soon. Who knows what would be different about the phone on Verizon, aside from there being a delay in updates.

I don't think we can even say there will be carrier versions in the US. Google might be done with that.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 24, 2012, 05:22 PM
Plus who knows when the carrier versions will be available.

Very true!

----------

My bill would be the same regardless, I'm on a family plan right now. But I want the pure Nexus from Google. And I want it soon. Who knows what would be different about the phone on Verizon, aside from there being a delay in updates.

I don't think we can even say there will be carrier versions in the US. Google might be done with that.

Exactly!

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
I also don't have an upgrade. So getting it directly from Google would actually be a couple hundred cheaper than buying a smartphone off-contract from Verizon.

I'll take the small hit in call coverage to have the phone from Google exactly as they intended it.

Technarchy
Oct 24, 2012, 05:43 PM

Nexus S is still the best looking in the series my opinion

http://www.themanly-man.com/wp-content/uploads/nexus-s-black.jpg

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 24, 2012, 06:10 PM
I know I have asked this before but my last concern is insurance. I have called square trade and they say they will insure unlocked phones. But I don't know if they will offer insurance as soon as the phone is released. I also don't know if I can get insurance for only one year instead of two.

Anybody know or have any good ideas for insurance for the LG nexus?

PDFierro
Oct 24, 2012, 06:14 PM
I know I have asked this before but my last concern is insurance. I have called square trade and they say they will insure unlocked phones. But I don't know if they will offer insurance as soon as the phone is released. I also don't know if I can get insurance for only one year instead of two.

Anybody know or have any good ideas for insurance for the LG nexus?

I don't know about that. Google certainly won't offer insurance, just the 1-year standard warranty by the manufacturer. I'm not concerned about it.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
I don't know about that. Google certainly won't offer insurance, just the 1-year standard warranty by the manufacturer. I'm not concerned about it.

I mean I have only cracked a screen once in 5 years but peace of mind feels good.

Mackan
Oct 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
The nexus 4 will have groundbreaking specs this time around. It will have the snapdragon s4 pro which is much faster than the s3. Both in cpu and gpu. The gpu is much faster.

The snapdragon will be good. However, everything else will probably be subpar. If an Android OEM agrees to manufacture a Nexus, it will compete against their own lineup, so they only way they would agree is to make it have worse specs.

You'll likely see a subpar camera, only 8 GB of storage (no sd-card) subpar audio chipset, no LTE, etc, etc, etc...

I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it. If the specs are good enough, I will consider the Nexus 4. Gives me a ThinkPad feeling, kind of, black and trustworthy.

zbarvian
Oct 25, 2012, 06:55 AM
So why isn't Google putting their Motorola acquisition to good use and building their own phones yet? I'm sure they could whip up a better Nexus device than these mediocre OEMs.

MacRumorUser
Oct 25, 2012, 06:59 AM
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/LG-NEXUS-4/MONTHLY

Available on carphonewarehouse uk

The Nexus 4 is a state of the art smartphone that's fast and premium. With super powerful hardware and the newest software, it offers the best of Google, socialising and technology.

Thin, light and portable.

The Nexus 4 was built to bring you the best of Google in a slim, portable device that fits perfectly in your hand. At just 9.1mm thin, it's comfortable to hold whether you're typing, gaming, or calling.

Best of Google.

Win Google services built-in, you'll have information at your fingertips. Search gets smarter with Google Now. You ask. Google answers, instantly, and with all the detail you want/ Navigate your world with Google Maps. Stay in touch with Gesture Typing, a faster way of typing that lets you spell words by dragging your finger across the screen from letter to letter. Browse the web with the super fast Google Chrome.

Stunning 4.7" display.

Photos and video come to life with the stunning 4.7" display. With an HD resolution of 1280x768 screen and pixel density of 320ppi, the screen is sharp, displaying superb detail. Scratches? Don't worry about those – the touchscreen is made from the tough, scratch resistant Gorilla® Glass 2

Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.

The fastest and smoothest version of Android yet - Jelly Bean - improves on the simplicity and beauty of Android 4.0, and introduces a new Google search experience. Making the things you do on your device, more simple and fun. Because this is a Nexus device, it gets Android updates faster than other phones, so when a new update is available with new features and improvements, you can get it straight away.

Google Play.

The Google Play Store is home to 675,000 apps & games, so there's something for everyone. It also includes the world's largest collection of eBooks, magazines, movies and TV shows in full HD. Entertainment will always be at your fingertips.

8MP camera: Capture and share your world.

On the back of the Nexus 4 is a high performance 8MP camera. It'll record in perfect 1080p HD, supports Instant Upload so you'll never lose a photo again, and takes amazing 360° panorama photos. These let you take stunning photos of everything around you – from mountain ranges to street parties.

Snapdragon™ processors by Qualcomm®.

The digital brains inside the smartest devices. The Snapdragon family of processors are designed using best-in-class technology. Everything that your smartphone needs is built right into one chip – the CPU, the graphics processing unit (GPU), internet connectivity software, power management and multimedia features. This means Snapdragon processors give great efficiency and battery life while still providing power and multitasking abilities. Learn more about Snapdragon™.

Looking for a state of the art smartphone that has all the latest features and will be first to get new Android updates? The powerful Nexus 4 is your winner.

Business

Speakerphone
If your mobile phone has a built-in speaker you can use it to have hands free conversations or share music with friends. (Dependent on your handset's features)

Internet Browser
A mobile internet browser allows you to view websites and conduct internet searches on your handset. Some browsers support tabbed browsing and allow you to bookmark websites to visit again later.

Email
Email clients allow you to send and receive messages on your mobile phone. Dependent on the client and your specific handset, you may be able to send file attachments and sync multiple email accounts!

Calendar
An electronic diary.

Voice Dialling
Begin calls to your friends without typing numbers - just say their name!

Compatibility (Windows PC)
Connect your mobile phone to a Windows based Windows PC and charge it and/or sync and transfer data. (Sync functionality dependent on phone features and Windows PC specifications)

Smartphone
Smartphones do more than standard handsets. These powerful mobile phones have advanced features and dedicated operating systems that manage battery life and enhance performance.
Connectivity

General

Display Colour Depth 16 M View websites, texts and games in vibrant colour.

Standby Time (up to) TBC The maximum length of time the product can remain switched on before the battery needs recharging. Standby time is theoretical and based on lab conditions.

Size 68.7 x 133.9 x 9.1 mm Dimensions (size) in millimetres.

Display Size 1280 x 768 px
The size of the main display screen of your device. Measured in pixels, the more pixels, as a general rule, the better the sharpness and quality of the screen.

Vibration alert
When you want a more discreet ringer the vibration alert comes in handy! Be notified when you receive text messages, phone calls and emails, without alerting everyone else.

Frequency Band
Quad-Band The number of bands your phone works across. Dual bands will normally only work in your home country and continent, quad bands will work in the Americas.

MMS
The Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) allows you to send sound clips, images and videos to a mobile phone or email address. A convenient alternative to Bluetooth and USB. Charges may apply.

SMS/texting
Text messaging or Short Message Service (SMS) lets you send and receive messages on your phone. A single text contains up to 160 characters, but some phones can combine several texts into one.

Talk Time (up to) TBC The maximum length of time you can talk on a phone (under ideal conditions) before the battery needs recharging.

Weight TBC

Product weight (grams).

Works in USA
Usually known as 'tri-band' phones, these can connect to mobile networks in Europe and the USA. You'll also need to make sure your UK network offers service in the place you're visiting.

Touchscreen
An intuitive type of mobile phone interface, sensitive to pressure. Tap and swipe the touchscreen to interact with your handset, navigate menus and access apps.

Apps
Discover a world of possibilities with downloadable applications on your mobile phone.

Processor Type
Quad core The type of processor that's in your device. Some processors have dual or quad cores, and may be better for certain tasks. If you have a specific need, check the strong points of your device's processor.

Instant Messaging
Instant messenger clients allow you to chat with friends over the internet. You may even be able to add video to your chats! IM clients require an internet connection, and vary between handsets.

Proximity-sensing technology
This deactivates the display of your phone when the device is brought near to your face during a call. This saves battery power.

Multitasking
Run multiple apps and switch between them instantly, without sacrificing performance or battery life.

Storage Capacity
8GB storage
This is the maximum amount of storage space inside your device. This is used to store your multimedia content, such as videos and music, as well as your texts, apps and even documents.

Camera 8+ MP
Your handset has an advanced digital camera. Often enhanced by LED flash, autofocus and digital zoom, 8+ megapixel cameras capture clear, crisp pictures. They also normally have built-in video recorders.

Snapdragon™ S4 Processor
Snapdragon™ S4 processors are ideal for ultra high end apps, games and streaming 1080HD movies. The most power of the Snapdragon™ family, they still give great battery life and class leading performance.

Cody21
Oct 25, 2012, 08:54 AM
I would consider buying since I have owned a nexus device in the past. It's really the only android device that can compete with an iPhone in my eyes. I hate "skins" because it just seems to make for a bad experience.

Although, they would have to make at least a 16GB and price it about the same as the galaxy nexus in the Play store for me to buy.

Would it completely take place of my iPhone? No. It would be something to switch to from time to time.

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 09:20 AM
I'm pretty sure there will be a 16GB version on the Play Store.

If not, I will point my finger and laugh at Google. Also, I hope they at least mention a 32GB for the future. And an ETA of it too would be nice.

Pjstock42
Oct 25, 2012, 09:41 AM
Very interested but the make or break for me is the quality of the design and build components. Is this thing going to be made out of plastic? if it is, I have no interest.

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 10:01 AM
Very interested but the make or break for me is the quality of the design and build components. Is this thing going to be made out of plastic? if it is, I have no interest.

Glass front and back, I believe. And the sides are plastic? Not sure.

geek36
Oct 25, 2012, 10:02 AM
a big NO

lol

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 25, 2012, 10:02 AM

Well it is based off of the LG Optimus design. There are lots of reviews out there on that phone already and they say the build quality is great. Glass back and very study and premium feeling.

zbarvian
Oct 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
So can we not rip on the Nexus 4 for employing the same "poor, fragile design choice" of the ancient iPhone 4?

I don't see how this phone would be any different. Shatter on front and back.

cynics
Oct 25, 2012, 10:11 AM
So why isn't Google putting their Motorola acquisition to good use and building their own phones yet? I'm sure they could whip up a better Nexus device than these mediocre OEMs.

From my understanding on things I've read Google is scared to release a Motorola version because it will be in direct competition with their allies. Don't bite the hand that feeds you sort of thing.

It's a shame because I think the Razr M is a step in the right direction with a large screen on a small phone. However overall it's lack luster, while the UI is light which is nice it's still there and the only good feature is smart actions. The boot loader is locked per Verizon. The camera is barely acceptable. Etc etc.

I like Motorola but they will have to do something amazing to sway me away from every other brand of smartphone available.

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 10:18 AM
So can we not rip on the Nexus 4 for employing the same "poor, fragile design choice" of the ancient iPhone 4?

I don't see how this phone would be any different. Shatter on front and back.

I was never a big opponent of the glass of the 4S, especially when I owned it.

But I'm sure the glass will be an issue when drops start happening, just like the 4S.

I think for the most part, though, Nexus fans will be glad a premium-feeling device is finally being released.

zbarvian
Oct 25, 2012, 10:22 AM
I was never a big opponent of the glass of the 4S, especially when I owned it.

But I'm sure the glass will be an issue when drops start happening, just like the 4S.

I think for the most part, though, Nexus fans will be glad a premium-feeling device is finally being released.

Premium doesn't have to be fragile. Just look at the iPhone 5. LG is using Apple's outdated design decisions instead of looking forward and using their own.

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
Premium doesn't have to be fragile.

No argument there.

And you felt this strongly about glass during the two years the iPhone was made of it? How did you last?

cynics
Oct 25, 2012, 10:42 AM
Wait, the back of the N4 is glass?

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
Wait, the back of the N4 is glass?

Yep. I think this image shows the glass portion well:

http://cdn.pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/n4hand.jpg

Given that the entire back isn't made of glass, like the iPhone 4/4S, I wonder if this will fare as poorly with drops as the 4/4S did. My initial impression is no, especially because it'll likely be lighter too. It just doesn't seem like it's using or relying on as much glass as the 4/4S given the plastic (?) frame enclosure.

But who knows. We'll know better when tear downs start happening. I could foresee Nexus 4 glass shatter discussions.

cynics
Oct 25, 2012, 10:51 AM
Premium doesn't have to be fragile. Just look at the iPhone 5. LG is using Apple's outdated design decisions instead of looking forward and using their own.

Yeah because Apple was looking forward and used this new revolutionary material call.....aluminum!! It's like the back of my "ancient" Xoom except its lower quality coating and thickness.

I love my 4S I think the material and weight is amazing, especially compared to the 5 (which by no means is bad at all). I know a lot of people think that it was dumb (4S) but I prefer it, I'd be happy if the N4 feels similar to my 4S.

cynics
Oct 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
Yep. I think this image shows the glass portion well:

Image (http://cdn.pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/n4hand.jpg)

Given that the entire back isn't made of glass, like the iPhone 4/4S, I wonder if this will fare as poorly with drops as the 4/4S did. My initial impression is no, especially because it'll likely be lighter too. It just doesn't seem like it's using or relying on as much glass as the 4/4S given the plastic (?) frame enclosure.

But who knows. We'll know better when tear downs start happening. I could foresee Nexus 4 glass shatter discussions.

I keep reading its Gorilla Glass 2. I wonder if that just applies to the front glass. Supposedly 20% thinner with the same strength.

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 11:02 AM
The more I check out pics of the Nexus 4, the less concerned I am about the glass. It just doesn't seem that thick or prevalent. The glass of the Nexus 4 just doesn't seem as "exposed" or susceptible to shattering, especially because it seems enclosed by the frame. Whereas the glass on the 4/4S was just... all out there.

I think it could still be a problem for some, but it won't reach the scale of complaint of the 4/4S.

@Cynics, I too liked my 4S in terms of aesthetic design (and specifically only aesthetic design, because the 4S' ergonomics were horrid). I was never that outspoken against the glass.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 25, 2012, 11:11 AM
For people talking about the glass back. LG won't come out and say officially if its glass or not. Reviews are calling it glass with quotes. A couple of podcasts I have listened to say they tried dropping it and it survived just fine. However, one reviewer has already cracked the back. Sorry I don't have links I don't feel like looking for them all lol

cynics
Oct 25, 2012, 11:14 AM
Is there a removable battery? If so replacement of the back will be cheap and effortless. If not then it looks like a nightmare to replace. Lol

3bs
Oct 25, 2012, 11:17 AM
For people talking about the glass back. LG won't come out and say officially if its glass or not. Reviews are calling it glass with quotes. A couple of podcasts I have listened to say they tried dropping it and it survived just fine. However, one reviewer has already cracked the back. Sorry I don't have links I don't feel like looking for them all lol

Are there that many leaked prototypes that more than one website has had the chance to review it and perform drop tests?

onthecouchagain
Oct 25, 2012, 11:21 AM
Is there a removable battery? If so replacement of the back will be cheap and effortless. If not then it looks like a nightmare to replace. Lol

Non-removable.

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
Are there that many leaked prototypes that more than one website has had the chance to review it and perform drop tests?

No, I am referring to the LG Optimus G that the Nexus is based off of.

cynics
Oct 25, 2012, 12:03 PM
Non-removable.

That sucks. Like my iPhone my usage is based on what I'm doing. I'd prefer me carrying an extra battery based on what I'm doing. Oh well.

Six8
Oct 25, 2012, 12:34 PM

So you're saying the iPhone 5 is premium and not fragile? LoL

PDFierro
Oct 26, 2012, 12:41 AM
Does anyone like that the battery will be non-removable? At first I was upset about it, only because the storage space would also only be 16GB.

I don't mind it. I'd rather my phone have a removable battery, this way you can really stretch out your phone's life. Tablet, of course you don't need it to be removable.

Perhaps it's because the design of the Optimus G back required it to be non-removable. Looks like the Nexus is going the way of the iPhone, non-removable battery and no SD card slot. The HTC One X is the only other Android phone I can think of that doesn't have those.

Some people will mind, some won't.

mankar4
Oct 26, 2012, 01:05 AM
I'm looking forward to it. It will probably be one of these, gs3, or an iphone 5 for me. Hopefully this one is clearly better than the gs3 so that it makes an easy decision; it seems that android updates, come through quickest on the official nexus devices. I'm especially interested now that (correct me if I am wrong) google voice search is comparable with Siri.

GroundLoop
Oct 26, 2012, 06:12 AM
I would love to have a nexus phone, but alas, I am a Verizon customer. So, I won't have the opportunity for at least a few months, and by that time, there will be much, much better phones out there. Right now the Note II and the DNA are at the top of my list. But I may even wait for the GS4 which is rumored to be out in March.

GL

maflynn
Oct 26, 2012, 06:21 AM
I've owned a Nexus One and flipped flopped on iOS and android for a time. I think the linked image that the OP posted looks more like a blackberry then an android - I'm not saying it is a BB but it sure does resemble one.

Since I just got an iPhone 5, I'm not interested in taking the plunge and replacing all my apps (and my kids apps), heck my kids have more apps on my phone then I do ;)